Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Favorite unorthodox ways to play co-op?

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

770
[MIA-A]
Members
2,111 posts
6,750 battles

I've been playing coop recently in the Tirpitz and only using secondaries/torps.

It's actually a lot of fun and makes me wonder, are there other ways to play co-op that are similarly fun and unorthodox?

Edited by enderland07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,264
[PVE]
Members
5,619 posts
18,209 battles
11 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I've been playing coop recently in the Tirpitz and only using secondaries/torps.

It's actually a lot of fun and makes me wonder, are there other ways to play co-op that are similarly fun and unorthodox?

Destroyer play is totally different in PvE vs PvP. You don't have to worry with spotting for instance.  I tend to stay with the battleships until all the bot DDs and CAs are dead. I smoke up and use my guns to help out at this time, my torps if they get too close and they will get close. The bots make a bee line for destroyers, hidden or not. When the lessor ships are taken care of, speed boost and make torp runs on the bot BBs. This works every time.

I love Tirpitz play in co-op. I always follow the friendly DDs or CAs since I know the reds are driving straight at them. Getting in close and blasting everything is great fun, far more so than PvP play where it is kinda boring. A big thing I learned playing her this was to take torp hits on my midsection where I have the best torpedo protection. I used to flail trying not to get hit and would inevitably take a torp on my bow which caused flooding. I find that maneuvering just enough to take one hit in my torp belt often won't cause flooding and damage is fairly minor. The real trick is to just get hit the once.  

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
689
[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,111 battles

I use a different method than Taylor for DDs in Co-Op. When I spot a ship I want to kill, first I try and make sure there is no other ship that can shoot at me. A lonely BB or Cruiser is a wonderful target. Then I head straight for it at maximum speed, spamming HE as I go. Naturally, I am also zig-zagging. If I have speed boost, it is activated. This head-on attack seems to confuse the bot because he doesn't know what the heck to do. If I am nose-to-nose, he may try veering right or left before I get too close. Death for him and I will most likely live through it. If he stays head-to-head, when I am pretty close, I will veer off just enough to be able to arm and launch torp. I give him all the torps I have. BOOM! Dead CV or BB. I always try and do this vs a CV or BB to make my probable death worthwhile to the win. 

Tirp play is pretty much the same as Taylor. BB play in PvE is a LOT more fun than in PvP. All that camping and shuttle bus shooting just gets boring as he**. I like a flat out shot-for-shot exchange. PvE gives me that. But to each his own. 

 

Edited by Deputy276
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I put on an Eye patch and turn off the sound and only turn left.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,271
[RKLES]
Members
7,206 posts
8,979 battles
6 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

I use a different method than Taylor for DDs in Co-Op. When I spot a ship I want to kill, first I try and make sure there is no other ship that can shoot at me. A lonely BB or Cruiser is a wonderful target. Then I head straight for it at maximum speed, spamming HE as I go. Naturally, I am also zig-zagging. If I have speed boost, it is activated. This head-on attack seems to confuse the bot because he doesn't know what the heck to do. If I am nose-to-nose, he may try veering right or left before I get too close. Death for him and I will most likely live through it. If he stays head-to-head, when I am pretty close, I will veer off just enough to be able to arm and launch torp. I give him all the torps I have. BOOM! Dead CV or BB. I always try and do this vs a CV or BB to make my probable death worthwhile to the win. 

Tirp play is pretty much the same as Taylor. BB play in PvE is a LOT more fun than in PvP. All that camping and shuttle bus shooting just gets boring as he**. I like a flat out shot-for-shot exchange. PvE gives me that. But to each his own. 

 

Yeah I like full out brawls in my ships as well, but I have to do Randoms a lot to stay funded with Credits and to get my ship grinds done, but as my supply of credits is growing and my list of appealing ships are filling my port Co-Op is an option on the table.

Although Ranked tends to be pretty good as well since either you get in there and fight or else lose you lose stars and status. So needless to say most teams do not camp that much lol. Camping in Ranked means your BB will get filled with Torps while staying on the move gives you chances of dodging those Torps and killing the DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,795
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,497 battles

Only thing unusual I do for Co-op are try builds on some ships that I would never do in any PVP match, or stopped doing in PVP.

 

Iowa is a great example for me.  I have Missouri, specced to how I typically spec my high tier USN BBs.  I haven't touched Iowa in so long.  The last time I did until recently, was back when Missouri was a new ship.  Since MO is my typical Stealth / AA / APRM2 Build, I had a spare captain to throw on Iowa and made her Secondary Spec.  I would never do Sec.Spec Iowa / Missouri in PVP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,670 posts
3,824 battles

I usually do a lot of battleship jousting against bots in co op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,264
[PVE]
Members
5,619 posts
18,209 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I like full out brawls in my ships as well, but I have to do Randoms a lot to stay funded with Credits and to get my ship grinds done, but as my supply of credits is growing and my list of appealing ships are filling my port Co-Op is an option on the table.

Although Ranked tends to be pretty good as well since either you get in there and fight or else lose you lose stars and status. So needless to say most teams do not camp that much lol. Camping in Ranked means your BB will get filled with Torps while staying on the move gives you chances of dodging those Torps and killing the DDs.

I agree, Ranked and even Clan battles with the smaller teams is far more exciting and rarely "campy". I do enjoy Ranked but for the past two or three seasons, always something else going on in game and just don't have the time for it. The only time I find a brawl in normal Random matches is when my team is almost dead and the reds get brave and attack instead of running the minute they start taking fire. I do pretty well then because the fight becomes the same fight I am used to by playing PvE. When my team loses, I find myself usually near the top of the list score wise...  I think Random battles would be far more fun with smaller teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,264
[PVE]
Members
5,619 posts
18,209 battles
42 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

I use a different method than Taylor for DDs in Co-Op. When I spot a ship I want to kill, first I try and make sure there is no other ship that can shoot at me.

I had to laugh at this because every time I take a destroyer out it seems as if EVERY red ship is shooting at me! The bots are always so DD fixated.... I used to play my DDs in co-op similar to using them in PvP and it was a horrible slog to tier 9. I altered my play to what I described above and find it much more to my liking and I am not always the first to die anymore! I think by retreating back to the battleships, this brings their cruisers and destroyers on a collision course with our big guns and since they are usually just spamming HE and too far to use their torps, the big ships just demolish them. When the bot BBs arrive ours have had a chance to breathe and do a bit of healing so everything works out in the end.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
896
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,606 battles

Play my Izumo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,381
[RLGN]
Members
8,250 posts
17,264 battles

Play carriers; which I don’t care for in PVP.

Just had a 123k with Bogue on New Dawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
835
[SPTR]
Members
25,791 posts
11,088 battles

Bring a solid secondary build BBs(german or french) into co-op and make the bots chase you at close range lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127
[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,788 battles

With DDs I just I yell "Leeroy Jenkins" and charge... usually end up with insane damage and some kills. :) Bots are stupid or maybe I intimidate them. Who knows?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,228
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

If you can do well in Co-Op with DDs...  you will wreck them in Random.

This is especially good training in those rare battles where you are THE ONLY HUMAN.

Transition from Co-Op to Random:

1)  Ships will sail in a straight line in Random.  You don't need to bring that Minekaze into suicide range to hit anything.

2)  Don't need to use the WASD as much on high tier play.  The human aiming is not as laser accurate as bots... unless they have an aiming hack.

3)  Human players won't stop shooting after you lose detection.

4)  Smarter human players will have guns aimed at you when coming around an island for a surprise attack...

5)  Bots are never AFK.  Expect to find an occasional 'sitting duck' at the enemy spawn.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
335
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,002 posts
9,026 battles
26 minutes ago, TheHolySpork said:

With DDs I just I yell "Leeroy Jenkins" and charge... usually end up with insane damage and some kills. :) Bots are stupid or maybe I intimidate them. Who knows?

Yeah, I generally Leeroy charge in all my ships to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,647
[BIAS]
Members
3,151 posts
9,248 battles

I was doing pretty much this in my Richelieu to get the ribbon missions done for the campaign. I was using the main guns, usually badly though. I didn't want to kill stuff, so ap onto the belt on angled ships and he into saturated areas on broadside ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I turn away from my computer, extend my arms behind me, work the keys with opposite hands as a result, and try to glance backward over my shoulder at the screen. Is that unorthodox enough for you?  :Smile_bajan2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
689
[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,111 battles
6 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Play carriers; which I don’t care for in PVP.

Just had a 123k with Bogue on New Dawn.

Agree! I wouldn't even THINK of playing a CV in PvP. In PvE you aren't gonna hear the pissing and moaning and blame game you hear in PvP. You may hear the occasional "air cover please" (from me) but nothing really hostile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

best time to earn ribbon is to play during slow hours so that you get bots on both teams.    then you can use HE and  Secondary off your BB   to farm ribbons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[BNKR]
Members
415 posts
2,485 battles

I play the VIII premiums I got in Xmas crates in co-op only for now (until I get a bit farther up the regular tech tree) and, yeah -- I play my Tirpitz like a DD. 

ejb2NoE.jpg

Gonna need to break that habit when I take it into randoms.

:Smile_teethhappy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,266 posts
13 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

If you can do well in Co-Op with DDs...  you will wreck them in Random.

This is especially good training in those rare battles where you are THE ONLY HUMAN.

Transition from Co-Op to Random:

1)  Ships will sail in a straight line in Random.  You don't need to bring that Minekaze into suicide range to hit anything.

2)  Don't need to use the WASD as much on high tier play.  The human aiming is not as laser accurate as bots... unless they have an aiming hack.

3)  Human players won't stop shooting after you lose detection.

4)  Smarter human players will have guns aimed at you when coming around an island for a surprise attack...

5)  Bots are never AFK.  Expect to find an occasional 'sitting duck' at the enemy spawn.

 

Thank you and everyone else as well for such great advice.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

If you can do well in Co-Op with DDs...  you will wreck them in Random.

This is especially good training in those rare battles where you are THE ONLY HUMAN.

Transition from Co-Op to Random:

1)  Ships will sail in a straight line in Random.  You don't need to bring that Minekaze into suicide range to hit anything.

2)  Don't need to use the WASD as much on high tier play.  The human aiming is not as laser accurate as bots... unless they have an aiming hack.

3)  Human players won't stop shooting after you lose detection.

4)  Smarter human players will have guns aimed at you when coming around an island for a surprise attack...

5)  Bots are never AFK.  Expect to find an occasional 'sitting duck' at the enemy spawn.

 

I do disagree as  coop  DDs are very predictable and once you figure it out, you can kill them easily once you do that.   random is more random for sure though.    at low tier,  it may be true though once you hit t5, you have a big uphill battle .     Bots also can't aim worth a dang at lower tier, heck even higher tier.  

I do think sometimes  Bot CV is better than some human CV  though  :cap_haloween:

 

Edited by centarina
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,228
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles
3 minutes ago, centarina said:

I do disagree as  coop  DDs are very predictable and once you figure it out, you can kill them easily once you do that.   random is more random for sure though.    at low tier,  it may be true though once you hit t5, you have a big uphill battle .     Bots also can't aim worth a dang at lower tier, heck even higher tier.  

I do think sometimes  Bot CV is better than human CV  though  :cap_haloween:

 

The only unpredictability I see is that they do some real stupid stuff.

In one clan battle, the whole enemy team ran off to the one side, away from the caps we held.

Couple of our team started stalking up to them, but we quickly reeled them back to defensible spots.

"Hey...  If they want to do something stupid...  LET THEM."

Co-Op is the best place to practice CV work.  I don't do much Random, but when I do, we usually clean the map off.

Teamwork is something best learned in Co-Op - before getting fancy with manual strafes and drops.  Learn to provide good intel to your team so they don't do anything stupid... like YOLO to the wrong cap (looking at you, DD operators).  Learn to hit the full-health boats, and not steal kills, so your team can finish them off quickly.  Learn to drop torps so the enemy ships line up - ready for citadel shots from your blood-thirsty green (and sometimes pink) crew.  Spot the ships who just used repair and drop bombs on them to brighten their day.

Wear out the 'F3' button on enemy DDs, and keep them spotted.  There's nothing more annoying than aiming at a target - just to watch it vanish after you line it up with guns.

Sacrifice that squad of bombers to spot with.  Don't reload them after dropping, and have them loiter off the side of the enemy ships.

But the most IMPORTANT training for CV ops is getting used to doing manual drops with torpedoes.  This is especially true if you just switched on 'torp acceleration' on your captain skills.  Got to practice that up a bit.  Co-Op is nice that the bots never strafe your planes.  You can practice without the penalty of being clubbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

This is probably in the historical section already, but if you are newer to ships and perhaps naval history, I recommend watching this...it's fascinating!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×