You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KommandantPerry

Richelieu guns have to be the oddest i've ever seen

21 comments in this topic

[90THC]
Members
444 posts
5,499 battles

I've played down most lines since i started this game and no ship has guns that leave me as flabbergasted as the Richelieu.

I can fairly consistently land citadels on German battleships and even earlier today got a rare citadel on a KGV then you just straight up miss from within 10 km  on a broadside. What exactly is the pen value on its 15 inch guns? Unreal the citadels this ship can acquire when dispersion gives it permission to. The reviews on it were pretty meh but the Richelieu is solid to me(averaging86k in her atm ). Only thing I'd really tweak would either be a small reload bump to 28 seconds or a slight dispersion tweaking.  The side armor when its rarely tested holds up well as well, i can count on my hands the amount of citadels i've ate over the 28 battles in it thus far. The ship as a whole is a tank.(i've had a 3.7 mil potential game and survived a 113k damage one.)

What are your thoughts on her?

Edited by KommandantPerry
  • Cool 1

Members
9,958 posts

You play it like the Nelson, keep your nose forward...I think the ship as fine as is, the 2nds are dd killers and woe to the dd who tries to get behind you....

And I'm not sure who is shooting at you, but the side armor does not hold up....at all....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by awiggin

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts

I like my Richelieugun performance.  Or I guess "liked".  Done with the pleasant grind of this particular Frenchie.  Gotz my Alsace.  Still doing sea trails with my new Alsace in CO-OP.  But thus far I'm really liking this T9 BB.  

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles

High Tier French BB guns have good penetration values.

t8bbpen.png.6bf2cedfce458f8a3c1276120331

Dispersion past 14km is a problem, but smacking stuff around is not a problem.  Outside that, Tier VIII-IX have to deal with the idea that a bunch of high tier Cruisers can face tank their AP with zero concerns because they are only 15".

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[90THC]
Members
444 posts
5,499 battles

Thanks for the info on the pens.

I try to  stick to 10 to 14KM especially when it comes to cruisers, I almost always overpen cruisers within 10. Nearing the Alsace which is moderately exciting. About the side armor comment So long as you angle slightly you can break and bounce shells like its no one's business.

Edited by KommandantPerry

[WOLF3]
Members
16,048 posts
14,440 battles
4 minutes ago, KommandantPerry said:

Thanks for the info on the pens.

I try to  stick to 10 to 14KM especially when it comes to cruisers, I almost always overpen cruisers within 10. Nearing the Alsace which is moderately exciting. About the side armor comment So long as you angle slightly you can break and bounce shells like its no one's business.

Those ranges are EXACTLY where Tier VIII-IX French BBs prefer to fight in.  Note that in those ranges, Richelieu / Gascogne have the best pen of all the BBs in that set of ranges.

Alsace dispersion is hit/miss also, but you have 12 guns instead of 8 this time.  Yes, angle and you'll be fine against all but 460mm AP that goes straight to the bow.

• Cool 1

Supertester
417 posts
6,089 battles

Richelieu never failed to amuse me. I just love this ship so much, it's beautiful, it's fast, and it's damn effective. I have 91k average damage on her in 24 battles. Nothing is more pleasing than having 3 enemy BBs spamming AP at your bow and trying to push you, while you just reverse with speed boost and bounce all of their shells while luring them into your team. The penetration on those guns are amazing, so amazing in fact that I can't get nothing but overpens on close range engagements against broadside cruisers, but that's okay, because I can citadel enemy BBs from 20km range if dispersion favors me.

Spoiler

I liked the ship before this battle:

20180307090754_1.thumb.jpg.4da33bd4752d07bab929dbd009d516dd.jpg

After that I just felt dirty. I was litterally able to deal 125k damage without loosing ANY HP while sinking a Fletcher, brawling a Nelson, and doing over 30k damage to a New Orleans. It's all about getting a good position to hold, and then use your speed to advance and push with your team. In this match, I made a tour through the entire map. I had to move so much that I couldn't even stop to cap, otherwise i'd have got 3 solo caps instead of 1 :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Captain_Benevolent_Fair

[JEDI-]
Beta Testers
437 posts
6,250 battles

Citted a conq from 15k the other night.   somthing wonky is going on.  

[90THC]
Members
444 posts
5,499 battles

I've seen videos where it  would appear water drag was reduced because people were starting to consistently citadel RN and german Battleships if they were perfectly broadside.

I've landed quite a few odd citadels on german BBs and earlier i citadeled a KGV. something definitely changed.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
7,776 battles

Richelieu either citadels everything or overpenetrates. Its interesting to use these guns, especially against cruisers. Depending on the ship you need to wait until it is not completely broadside so that you can get some penetrations, or you have no choice but to shoot high explosive because the overpenetrations are guaranteed. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,235 posts

Yeah the same guns are on all the French T8's and the Allspice.  If RNGeus blesses my salvo I can usually citadel and damage the engine of most broadside bbs.  I've never seen engine crits on bbs.

Unfortunately when the normal values of the round vs hull go up the pen falls off quickly.  I've bounced 11/12 on a 10-15 degree broadside before at 5km.  Just odd feeling when it happened...

[INTEL]
Members
8,568 posts
25,660 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Those ranges are EXACTLY where Tier VIII-IX French BBs prefer to fight in.  Note that in those ranges, Richelieu / Gascogne have the best pen of all the BBs in that set of ranges.

Thanks for this. I was getting repeatahle cits on Tirps in the Hermes Op. Now i know why.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,756 posts
4,555 battles

How is the Richelieu's 38cm compared to Bismarck's 38cm, anyway?

...especially the dispersion...

Members
635 posts
738 battles

They way I view a Richelieu's guns is you lose a bit of pen from the Roma and one gun for a better gun layout. 

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

Historically the French 15 inch Guns have excellent penetration almost to the level of the USN 16in guns in fact.  The 13 inch guns on the Dunkerque also have this same excellent penetration, punching in at much higher than their caliber would suggest.  Unfortunately the 13 inch guns on the Normandie are of the old style and have the penetration as your typical 8-inch gun.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,346 posts
9,513 battles
13 hours ago, KommandantPerry said:

I've played down most lines since i started this game and no ship has guns that leave me as flabbergasted as the Richelieu.

I can fairly consistently land citadels on German battleships and even earlier today got a rare citadel on a KGV then you just straight up miss from within 10 km  on a broadside. What exactly is the pen value on its 15 inch guns? Unreal the citadels this ship can acquire when dispersion gives it permission to. The reviews on it were pretty meh but the Richelieu is solid to me(averaging86k in her atm ). Only thing I'd really tweak would either be a small reload bump to 28 seconds or a slight dispersion tweaking.  The side armor when its rarely tested holds up well as well, i can count on my hands the amount of citadels i've ate over the 28 battles in it thus far. The ship as a whole is a tank.(i've had a 3.7 mil potential game and survived a 113k damage one.)

What are your thoughts on her?

My experience has been very similar to yours. I love it so far.

[SIMP]
Members
831 posts
8,401 battles
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Alsace dispersion is hit/miss also, but you have 12 guns instead of 8 this time.  Yes, angle and you'll be fine against all but 460mm AP that goes straight to the bow.

Your chart shows that the french are only better than the Germans in those ranges and hardly the best. 

Maybe you were referring to the Alsauce.

[REVY]
Members
949 posts
7,505 battles

French BB guns have their moments. Most of the time from a full broadside, I'll see one pen, 3 over pen, then 5 bounces. I've even bounced shells off the deck of a CA. It's sometimes maddening, one shell pens, the rest bounce. If I was in any of the other Nation BBs, most of those bounces would be pens or at the least overpens.