Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Coltaine47

Advice for a new Aircraft Carrier

14 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
136 battles

Alright 60 battles in Got the Langley Tried a few battles with it and just need a little advice from the forum community  instead of the chat going bananas trying to give there input in event i under perform which has happened. and its seems like a game of chess in a way. i figured that i should go for battleships right as a see them but it seems to have mixed results. 

So just a few questions to ask

How do i keep my fighters alive? it seems if i engage Enemy fighters right away they seem to die fast?

Whats the suggested range i should keep each unit within? i have been told to keep my aircraft close by and not send them too deep and chat yelled quit being an airfield a few times already like should i stay mobile or move my position once in awhile?

• Funny 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,187 battles

Welllllllllll

1. enlarge your minimap and keep your eye on it till you are about to drop ordnances

2. know thy target priority - sometimes strike enemy forward DDs is way better than farm damage on a BB 20 km away

3.  get an ok idea on different ship's AA capabilities in your MM tier - this will help you maximize your strike capabilities

4. use friendly AA to help you win the fighter dog fight, after you kill their fighters at your tier, it's game over for theri CVs

5. your empty bombers and torps planes can spot and  if spotting is benefit to the team dont retract your planes too early. 

6. planes flying takes time, try to get close to your flank so you can reduce strike time between reloads.

7. when in doubt, focus on enemy DDs and perma spot them. You can't go wrong with this.

8. torp first, if there's a flood, wiat till the target use damagge repair, then bomb them.

9. even without manual drop at your tier, you can still adjust top angle till poitn of no return, keep adjusting for maximum impact

and... if you see me farming first win exp in langley or bogue in the short future, say hi and concede.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 2

Members
14 posts
136 battles
Just now, NeutralState said:

Welllllllllll

1. enlarge your minimap and keep your eye on it till you are about to drop ordnances

2. know thy target priority - sometimes strike enemy forward DDs is way better than farm damage on a BB 20 km away

3.  get an ok idea on different ship's AA capabilities in your MM tier - this will help you maximize your strike capabilities

4. use friendly AA to help you win the fighter dog fight, after you kill their fighters at your tier, it's game over for theri CVs

5. your empty bombers and torps planes can spot and  if spotting is benefit to the team dont retract your planes too early. 

6. planes flying takes time, try to get close to your flank so you can reduce strike time between reloads.

7. when in doubt, focus on enemy DDs and perma spot them. You can't go wrong with this.

Sounds like a good start for me. Thank you, Now the rest will be on me to apply it 

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

two words -- CO-OP.  Or is that two Hyphenations?  Anywhooo...way too many people wanna jump right in and head on up a CV tech tree line.  Its an epidemic at tiers 4 -6.  CV requires a lot of thought and some tactical expertise that most new folks are unwilling to acquire.   If you're serious about going up a CV tech line, please don't make the rest of us suffer and waste our time in randoms with your training on the job.  Please use Co-Op and Scenario play to acquire some of the basic skills CV drivers need for usage of air assets.  Like a minimum of 10 or 20 co-op\scenario matches before you think about randoms.  Anything less and your helping kill your team.  Thanks. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles
7 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Like a minimum of 10 or 20 co-op\scenario matches before you think about randoms.  Anything less and your helping kill your team.  Thanks. 

If nothing else, co-op helps you learn the controls on a mildly less stressful environment.

I also help train your ability to think calmly and resist panic in-game...

...nothing like watching your co-op team (players, bots, or both,) fall to pieces and leave you alone in a T4 or 5 carrier, trying to fight off 3-6 bots to help do so.

Members
14 posts
136 battles
9 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

two words -- CO-OP.  Or is that two Hyphenations?  Anywhooo...way too many people wanna jump right in and head on up a CV tech tree line.  Its an epidemic at tiers 4 -6.  CV requires a lot of thought and some tactical expertise that most new folks are unwilling to acquire.   If you're serious about going up a CV tech line, please don't make the rest of us suffer and waste our time in randoms with your training on the job.  Please use Co-Op and Scenario play to acquire some of the basic skills CV drivers need for usage of air assets.  Like a minimum of 10 or 20 co-op\scenario matches before you think about randoms.  Anything less and your helping kill your team.  Thanks. 

Well there is  my first Mistake. thank you for pointing that out. i'm new and at least i came here to ask for some advice after a few battles. Rather than show 50-60 battles in a CV and people are like What the bleep you doing. So i understand your frustration 

Maybe i'll stick to my BB for now and learn the CV in CO-OP when i'm on my vacation week. 

Edited by Coltaine47

[PVE]
Members
5,643 posts
18,236 battles

Stock Langley can be a mess sometimes even in co-op. But you have to grind somewhere and PvE is probably best. A couple of things to remember in co-op play. First the bot carrier will always launch its attack planes first. You must wait until you fighters are ready before you launch. Send your fighters towards the middle of the map and when the bot bombers appear, attack them. As soon as their torp planes appear, stop your attack on the bombers and go after those. Stick with the torp planes as long as you can, kill as many as possible. By this time you should be near friendly ships and this is when their fighters show up. Lock them down over a friendly ship that has AA, doesn't matter how much AA, as long as they have some. This gives you the edge and since it is mostly RNG dependent, it will help. When you destroy his fighters land your fighters if you have 3 or less fighters left. If you have 4+, keep them in the air and repeat until his planes are gone. The second thing you NEED to do is always fly your combat signals. The ones that give an AA bonus especially. Now during all this, use your attack planes against the best targets. I tend to go after the most threatening bot ships. Attack with either your bombers first or torp planes first, keeping the others back just a bit. When you hit the target and get flooding or fire, wait until you quit racking up points before attacking with the other attack planes. What you are doing is waiting for the ship to use his damage control so when you hit them with the second bunch and if you get fire or flooding, you will do lots of damage over time. If you fail to get fires/flooding on the first attack, just use your other planes to attack them once again. Do not attack the enemy carrier early in the game. This is a noob mistake and one that can cost your team the match. What you want to do is kill all its planes and leave it defenseless so your team and you, can kill it at leisure. I forgot to mention keep your carrier moving with the fleet, behind it just a bit, but keep moving. It isn't PvP where you need to hide, in PvE play the bots know exactly where you are and will find you. Staying in the back of the map really hurts your ability to recover and launch planes so try and stay close to the action. Staying in the back of the map not moving is stupid in co-op and only a marginal strategy in PvP play. Moving to one of the extreme corners of the map ensures you will only get a couple of strikes out before the match ends and you will be bottom of the leader board for points. I play my lower tier carriers very aggressively, going for caps and staying with the fleet. I sometimes take fire which is good, carriers have large HP pools and if they are shooting at you, they are not shooting at your team. Minimize your exposure to fire by keeping bow on if you can and know when to get out of the action. 

When you finally get your full upgrades on your planes & ship, you will dominate the bot carrier easily every match. It kind of gets boring after a while. Personally I would not enter PvP play until I had a least a 10 point captain with appropriate skills and a fully upgraded carrier flying full combat signals and using camouflage. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,187 battles
11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Stock Langley can be a mess sometimes even in co-op. But you have to grind somewhere and PvE is probably best. A couple of things to remember in co-op play. First the bot carrier will always launch its attack planes first. You must wait until you fighters are ready before you launch. Send your fighters towards the middle of the map and when the bot bombers appear, attack them. As soon as their torp planes appear, stop your attack on the bombers and go after those. Stick with the torp planes as long as you can, kill as many as possible. By this time you should be near friendly ships and this is when their fighters show up. Lock them down over a friendly ship that has AA, doesn't matter how much AA, as long as they have some. This gives you the edge and since it is mostly RNG dependent, it will help. When you destroy his fighters land your fighters if you have 3 or less fighters left. If you have 4+, keep them in the air and repeat until his planes are gone. The second thing you NEED to do is always fly your combat signals. The ones that give an AA bonus especially. Now during all this, use your attack planes against the best targets. I tend to go after the most threatening bot ships. Attack with either your bombers first or torp planes first, keeping the others back just a bit. When you hit the target and get flooding or fire, wait until you quit racking up points before attacking with the other attack planes. What you are doing is waiting for the ship to use his damage control so when you hit them with the second bunch and if you get fire or flooding, you will do lots of damage over time. If you fail to get fires/flooding on the first attack, just use your other planes to attack them once again. Do not attack the enemy carrier early in the game. This is a noob mistake and one that can cost your team the match. What you want to do is kill all its planes and leave it defenseless so your team and you, can kill it at leisure. I forgot to mention keep your carrier moving with the fleet, behind it just a bit, but keep moving. It isn't PvP where you need to hide, in PvE play the bots know exactly where you are and will find you. Staying in the back of the map really hurts your ability to recover and launch planes so try and stay close to the action. Staying in the back of the map not moving is stupid in co-op and only a marginal strategy in PvP play. Moving to one of the extreme corners of the map ensures you will only get a couple of strikes out before the match ends and you will be bottom of the leader board for points. I play my lower tier carriers very aggressively, going for caps and staying with the fleet. I sometimes take fire which is good, carriers have large HP pools and if they are shooting at you, they are not shooting at your team. Minimize your exposure to fire by keeping bow on if you can and know when to get out of the action. 

When you finally get your full upgrades on your planes & ship, you will dominate the bot carrier easily every match. It kind of gets boring after a while. Personally I would not enter PvP play until I had a least a 10 point captain with appropriate skills and a fully upgraded carrier flying full combat signals and using camouflage. 

Image result for wall of text

PARAGRAPH MY BROTHER, PARAGRAPH

Paragraph: 

par·a·graph
ˈperəˌɡraf/
noun
noun: paragraph; plural noun: paragraphs
  1. 1.
    a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.
    synonyms: section, subdivision, part, subsection, division, portion, segment, passage More
    "the concluding paragraph"
    report, article, item, sidebar, piece, write-up, mention
    "a paragraph in the newspaper"
verb
verb: paragraph; 3rd person present: paragraphs; past tense: paragraphed; past participle: paragraphed; gerund or present participle: paragraphing
  1. 1.
    arrange (a piece of writing) in paragraphs.
  • Funny 2

[WPP]
Members
519 posts
5,480 battles

^^^

You can try to play them, but you will be up against people with 10+ point CV captains and that’ll put you at a big disadvantage if you’ve got a weak captain.  I have the Langley, Independence, and Ranger all with 11-12 point captains and they feel passable at best.

[PVE]
Members
5,643 posts
18,236 battles
44 minutes ago, galspanic said:

You can try to play them, but you will be up against people with 10+ point CV captains and that’ll put you at a big disadvantage if you’ve got a weak captain.  I have the Langley, Independence, and Ranger all with 11-12 point captains and they feel passable at best.

IMHO a 10 point captain is minimum for CV play. I tend to use either a reward captain or a captain from another class of ship and respec them for carrier play. It really makes a huge difference, air supremacy is a must have skill.

[PROJX]
Members
976 posts
15,763 battles
2 hours ago, Coltaine47 said:

Alright 60 battles in Got the Langley Tried a few battles with it and just need a little advice from the forum community  instead of the chat going bananas trying to give there input in event i under perform which has happened. and its seems like a game of chess in a way. i figured that i should go for battleships right as a see them but it seems to have mixed results. 

So just a few questions to ask

How do i keep my fighters alive? it seems if i engage Enemy fighters right away they seem to die fast?

Whats the suggested range i should keep each unit within? i have been told to keep my aircraft close by and not send them too deep and chat yelled quit being an airfield a few times already like should i stay mobile or move my position once in awhile?

Hey Coltaine47 - welcome to the brave world of CVs - Here are a series of video links from one of the best CV players in the EU - Farazelleth - he's posted a series called "Fara's Carrier Guides" which go over various aspects of CV play including the question you're asking.

(Note: the following is the CV excerpt from WOWS Enjoyment - List of Game Improvement/Mecahnics Articles & Guides)

[ Links to Farazelleth YouTube Videos ] Fara's CV Guides - CV Configuration and Play

For those interested in CV Gameplay - this section contains links to  very detailed instructional and informational videos from the EU Unicum CV Player Farazelleth's YouTube Series Fara Carrier Guide.  This series explains tactics and strategies when playing CVs which will help you get the most out of your CV (including gameplay examples).   Farazelleth has also posted a Configure Your CV series  which covers each CV in the Tech Tree including:

• Ship Upgrade Recommended Progression
  • Module Upgrades
  • Captains Skills
  • Overall ship playstyle and information
  • Play examples in Random Battles

The links below represent a sampler of basic CV information contained on his channel - if you find the information useful, please consider subscribing to his channel.

Fara Carrier Guides Series

What Makes a Good CV?

Introduction

IJN CVs

USN CVs

Premiums

Good luck & hope to see you out there! o7

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
136 battles
Just now, hangglide42 said:

Hey Coltaine47 - welcome to the brave world of CVs - Here are a series of video links from one of the best CV players in the EU - Farazelleth - he's posted a series called "Fara's Carrier Guides" which go over various aspects of CV play including the question you're asking.

(Note: the following is the CV excerpt from WOWS Enjoyment - List of Game Improvement/Mecahnics Articles & Guides)

[ Links to Farazelleth YouTube Videos ] Fara's CV Guides - CV Configuration and Play

For those interested in CV Gameplay - this section contains links to  very detailed instructional and informational videos from the EU Unicum CV Player Farazelleth's YouTube Series Fara Carrier Guide.  This series explains tactics and strategies when playing CVs which will help you get the most out of your CV (including gameplay examples).   Farazelleth has also posted a Configure Your CV series  which covers each CV in the Tech Tree including:

• Ship Upgrade Recommended Progression
  • Module Upgrades
  • Captains Skills
  • Overall ship playstyle and information
  • Play examples in Random Battles

The links below represent a sampler of basic CV information contained on his channel - if you find the information useful, please consider subscribing to his channel.

Fara Carrier Guides Series

What Makes a Good CV?

Introduction

IJN CVs

USN CVs

Premiums

Good luck & hope to see you out there! o7

Thanks for the Guides i will study them like i'm studying for a Collage exam 

[PVE]
Members
5,643 posts
18,236 battles
4 minutes ago, Coltaine47 said:

Thanks for the Guides i will study them like i'm studying for a Collage exam 

The guides are great information, just lots of it. If you are playing in PvE, you won't need most of that though.

[-FV-]
Members
97 posts
838 battles

Btw when you get to tier 6 (Independence/Ryujo), go back to co-op and test out alt attack/manual drop/strafe, they are very powerful and a must have in 6+. As the name suggests pressing alt in tier 6+ carriers allow you to manual attack. Watch fem's video for more. ^^^

This is what skills come into play for CV players. A player who does it well can completely destroy another player who doesn't know how to manual drop.

Edited by joshua011

Sign in to follow this