You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BRailfanH

Just Got Akizuki, Need Advice

21 comments in this topic

Members
117 posts
6,793 battles

Okay, so I just got my Akizuki the other day, and I was wondering what I should do, beyond the obvious.  I'm working on getting IFHE on my captain (he's currently on 12 skill points), but I'd like to know if I should go SGM 2+3, or full conealment.  Also, is there anything else I should know, such as: do I really need the premium permanent camo?  What other captain skills should I take after IFHE?  (For reference, I have Priority Target, Last Stand, Demolition Expert and Concealment Expert, and like I said earlier, I'm working on getting IFHE.)

[WAG]
Beta Testers
680 posts
5,559 battles

you need A cammo, doesn't necessarily have to be a premium camo, just makes it cheaper to run and make credits with it when using the prem cammo.

full concealment helps allot, cause your dps at close range is absurd, so the closer you can get before starting the fight the better, keep in mind your the slowest DD out there, so concealment is your only way to really be able to ensure your guns stay in range, with full concealment, the difference between your det and an opposing dd is often enough for you to be able to kill them before they can get away and conceal themselves (when fighting dds)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,874 battles

Honestly, I would prioritize IFHE over demo expert.  You need that first.  

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,810 battles

Without IFHE you might as well be shooting water baloons.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
17 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Without IFHE you might as well be shooting water baloons.

Not true, Aki’s AP is good against broadside targets. Was even better back during OWSF. Start fires, then rain down AP pain on some B.B. that couldn’t fight back...

...the salt was real, BIG TIME.

Oh; FULL CONCEALMENT. All the way.

Use it to spot, and run away/between potential targets.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,661 battles

I found I had better luck once I got concealment & ifhe to boost the gun range It will shoot over 15 km then and once I had that it really took off

Members
842 posts

You can't really fight other DDs without IFHE.  Anything but a pure broadside against another DD will bounce your AP, and hitting the superstructure on a DD is virutally impossible to do reliably.  So without IFHE, you can't really contest caps, as any US, PA, or KM  DD will eat you for lunch.

I'd actually prioritize IFHE over CE for that reason - at least with IFHE, you can long-range gunboat well, so you'll get more XP faster. The Aki isn't good for being a torp boat, so you'll spent a lot of time blazing away with your guns, so concealment, while important, isn't as critical for performance as other IJN DDs.

Concealment Module is better than SGM3, as with SGM2, you get a 3.7 rudder shift, which is entirely reasonable. Your bigger problem is not rudder shift time, it's turning radius, and there's no module that can help that. 

Personally, I'd not go for the premium camo. The Aki is a one-off unique setup, so you can't really use it to train up other captains for use elsewhere, and, while fun, it's not a bread-and-butter DD, so you probably won't play is anywhere near as frequently as say the Shiratsuyu.

The biggest question I have with my Aki is that I can only get 2 of the 3 Level 3 skills I'd like:  SE, SI, and DE.  It's a hard choice, as they're all very, very useful for an Aki.

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,482 battles

You don't need IFHE against T7 and under DDs.

But you will always be up against a T8+ DD on the red team.

Members
842 posts
15 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

This is true. You also technically don't need IFHE against most parts of RN CLs and some parts of T7 and lower BBs and CAs. 

If you're fighting T8+ ships, there's actually VERY little you can damage with pure HE - I think every part of a T8+ BB is completely immune to your HE, and only the superstructure of T8+ CA and DDs is vulnerable.

But the overall DPM output of an Aki without IFHE is gonna be in the 50-per-hit range. Yeah. FIFTY.  Because if you're top-tier, maybe 50% of your HE hits will be shatters or bounces. If you're up against T8+ ships, count on 75% or more of your HE to bounce/shatter.  And remember, if it bounces, it DOESN'T get a chance to start a fire - shatters, while 0 damage, at least get the fire chance.

Put it another way, before I got IFHE, I averaged barely 20k per game in damage, and some of that was torps (which, considering a torp can do 10k+ on average, really speaks to how terrible the DPM was).  After IFHE, I average well over 40k per game, and realistically 50k.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles

Go for a full concealment build. Your first 10 skill are good but I recommend you trade DE for Survivability Expert or BFT. Akizuki without IFHE rely on broadside target and AP. If someone is dumb enough to stay broadside while you shoot AP you can reach a really good DPM. But once again, you really need a Concealment build because you're slow and clumsy for a DD so if you can close the distance / disengage faster it's always good. 

Regarding camo, I use the cheap -3% camo and it works well for me. The only reason I don't have premium camo for this ship is because I don't have doubloons.

My 18pt captain :

-PT

-LS

-SE--> more HP means better survivability. It allows you to eat 1 torps or 2 without dying .

-CE

-IFHE

-BFT --> Akizuki has good AA for a DD so BFT will boost both AA and DPM which is better than DE

-AR (once i'll unlock my last point)

Other options:

-Take RPF+PM instead of BFT and AR and turn the ship into a DD hunter

-Take AFT and Manual AA instead of CE and SE and turn the ship into an AA plateform (not recommended unless you play in div with a carrier)

• Cool 1

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles

If you love the boat and plan on using it a LOT then the premium camo pays out in the end.  Just spent 5k doubloons on the premium for my Gearing (for use during Clan Battles) and in the end it is saving me a lot of money by not burning through my regular camos.

Beta Testers
1,839 posts
10,762 battles
9 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

What about the green team? :cap_haloween:

Sorry. I will see my way out...

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,874 battles

Sorry, can't state IFHE enough.  I actually rage quit the Akizuki several times and sold it before trying it again.  It is now one of my favorite goto ships.  IFHE is a requirement though.

[TNG]
Members
131 posts
8,613 battles

Simple answer...

• Get a 16 point Captain (min)
  • You need IFHE, DEMO and Concealment
  • It'll be nice to have BFT, but you can live with 3.0 sec reloads instead of 2.7.

IFHE is a MUST because the Akizuki will do ZERO damage on Tier VIII+ DDs with HE because those 100mm guns won't even penetrate DD armor.

DEMO is a MUST if you ever wish to set anything on fire while using IFHE

Concealment is a must because you are SLOW, BIG and DEAD when detected.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,314 posts
9,900 battles
8 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

Concealment is a must because you are SLOW, BIG and DEAD when detected.

True. Except when thrashing other DDs, your survival depends on not being shot at (much). You have great DPM but low health and NO armor. Tough to win a straight up gunfight with something bigger than you. You always need somewhere to hide when the reds take notice of you. Plan accordingly.

That said, never forget you also have torpedoes with a reload booster. People fear you for your guns and sometimes forget you have torps too. Not worth investing capt points in them however. Too many other MUST HAVES with Akizuki.

[NETSI]
Members
72 posts
7,772 battles

Ideally you play Akizuki on a 14pt captain to have both CE and IFHE.

However that being said, I believe CE is still the bigger priority because Akizuki will not survive long if spotted far away due to her clumsiness in handling and speed.
She can still farm fires on BBs without IFHE fairly well and that's where most of my Akizuki damage comes from generally.
CE also ensures you can still rely on stealth torping abilities and cap objectives, very important factors for playing a DD.

IFHE really just mostly trivializes DD engagements in your favor, but not having it means you are more or less equal in 1v1 DD gunfights that you would otherwise destroy the enemy easily.
It's not completely crippling, but having IFHE is what makes the ship stand out so well.

[TNG]
Members
131 posts
8,613 battles
12 hours ago, hyuuu said:

IFHE really just mostly trivializes DD engagements in your favor, but not having it means you are more or less equal in 1v1 DD gunfights that you would otherwise destroy the enemy easily.

It's not completely crippling, but having IFHE is what makes the ship stand out so well.

Actually, no. Without IFHE, engaging ANY tier VIII or higher DD is suicide. You'll land 100 hits and do ZERO damage.

Members
1,749 posts
9,938 battles

Akizuki really needs a high point captain to really come together.  I took my most experienced IJN DD captain and dropped them on Akizuki.  14 points minimum, while the other IJN DDs can get by with 10-12 points.

[NETSI]
Members
72 posts
7,772 battles
5 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

Actually, no. Without IFHE, engaging ANY tier VIII or higher DD is suicide. You'll land 100 hits and do ZERO damage.

Well it certainly isn't optimal, but I'm just pointing out that CE should still take priority over IFHE as you grind up the captain.

Also having played stock Akizuki without IFHE in my first several games, I still did well with the guns. You'll still outgun Kageros and you can always switch to AP if necessary when DDs show broadside.

You can also aim higher for the superstructure of DDs rather than the hull, because I'm sure 100mm still deals damage to DD superstructure.
I didn't just do zero damage firing away my guns even if 75% ended up as shatters.

Of course, playing Akizuki means you have to pick your 1v1 tier 8 DD engagements carefully and make sure you can reliably secure the kill before jumping in.

[ARC]
Members
487 posts
7,198 battles

SE is more useful than DemoExpert or SI. It is the difference between melting one DD in a gunfight and melting 2. The DPM at close ranges is more ridiculous than in Gearing, and it gets into Minotaur-level of ridiculous. The previous day I melted a Shimakaze with SE from full health to 3k in less than 30 sec. I was under concentrated fire, regrettably. And you can do that to Ognevois and Bensons too.

Obviously CE+IFHE are a must-have. The ship without IFHE depends too much on her AP to do damage, and 100mm AP don't have that much penetration anyways.

Edited by hanesco

Members
49 posts
3,561 battles

Akizuki 19 points commander is the dream. You get all the good things + 3k HP. You are almost a light cruiser at 22/23k HP for tier 8.