You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

Done with 'The Glory of France'

41 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

E29Y5r8.png

And what I mean by that is: I am done trying. 

I 100% regret buying my Gascogne. It's not a horrible ship - it plays something like a Roma with worse-turning, normal-performing guns. But the constant, constant, CONSTANT up-tiering, and the absolutely horrifying tier 10 meta... well, I'm just... done.

I'm not going to continue to do something that isn't fun, and these missions are antithesis of enjoyable. And that is largely because upper tier gameplay in general is the antithesis of enjoyable. I'm not sure what metrics your management types are looking at that says that the +2/-2 gameplay is amusing, or engaging, or profitable... but I'm no longer buying into it; and I'm certainly through participating in any more bogus campaigns that involve smashing my skull into this "content" head-on.

You want me to spend more money, Wargaming? Then stop making the high tier game experience the internet equivalent of this. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
497 posts
3,661 battles

U can still complete the campaign without playing Gascogne right?  Will take longer but still doable just working on Task 1 & 2

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
683 posts
10,546 battles

Or just do it in Co-Op shouldn't take that much longer Gasconge's personal mission gives about 3k XP with flags and premium time 

Edited by yamato6945

[D_DOG]
[D_DOG]
Members
128 posts
8,194 battles

I'm going to wait until I get the DD from missions and then try and complete the campaign...

[SYN]
Members
334 posts
11,802 battles
6 minutes ago, missile742 said:

U can still complete the campaign without playing Gascogne right?  Will take longer but still doable just working on Task 1 & 2

and 3, once you get the Aigle.  OP paid for Gascogne, so I suspect he already did this and is just annoyed at how hard getting 100% is.

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
683 posts
10,546 battles
1 minute ago, bremen_ said:

and 3, once you get the Aigle.  OP paid for Gascogne, so I suspect he already did this and is just annoyed at how hard getting 100% is.

Thing is he doesn't need to 100% it just repeat a few of the steps they still give stars if completed  multiple times so neither premium is needed

Members
9,978 posts

Finished it already courtesy of 2 BB missions in the part of the campaign.

Played the Lyon as a 2nd build for the first part of the ribbon grind, then finished off the Riche grind in the scenario in a day. Used Riche to complete the ribbon part.  and the final wasn't tough once I had the Riche.

And honestly, with the amount of time you ave to complete it, I'm not sure why you'd give up.

Edited by awiggin

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
28 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

E29Y5r8.png

No Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur for you Monsieur.  You know if you win the Légion d'honneur you're given a pension for life (which is darkly humorous as many recipients died in the act).  At least that's the way it used to be in the days of French gloire.  Now its probably a matching contribution to your 401K.

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[TFLT]
Members
102 posts
2,720 battles

I have Gascogne and Aigle. It wasn't terrible at all. I enjoyed both ships so I was able to finish Gold of France with honors in two and a half days. Unfortunately, I did not get the mission to get Richelieu in any of the 30 (I think) crates. I just used about 100,000 free XP to get her and upgrade all her modules. So far, I'm enjoying the new line.

[ZNAVY]
[ZNAVY]
Members
254 posts
7,147 battles

I feel your pain, OP....  Did it with no Aigle and no French BB,  and was a frustrating grind that smashed my stats and my patience.  Now Richie (just got it) has the special Commander and pretty camo, sooooo, worth it?

[RLGN]
Members
8,278 posts
17,318 battles

Been grinding the campaign with Dunkerque, Normandie, and The Grass in Co-op.

Been avoiding even trying in Randoms, because I’m always a tryhard doing such things, and it never works.

I’ll play Randoms again when I don’t have to worry about some grind.

Just have Bretagne, (don’t like it much,) and Normandie, (which has been a blast.) No plans currently to go any higher.

Members
1,866 posts

I'm grateful Glory of France doesn't offer anything important while I'm busy with clan wars. It's mostly a promo to buy the French premiums. Most Tier 8 battleships stand up well in Tier 9 or 10 battles. I think I would prefer the gun layout on Richelieu to Gascogne. The premium doesn't seem to offer anything except the speed boost gimmick.

[ZNAVY]
[ZNAVY]
Members
254 posts
7,147 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Just have Bretagne, (don’t like it much,) and Normandie, (which has been a blast.) No plans currently to go any higher.

The guns on the Lyon are worth the grind, even if just for the lolz.  The amount of lead that cat spits out is stupendous.

[SALVO]
Members
17,092 posts
17,754 battles

Good grief.  I finished the campaign with relative ease.  And I don't own the Aigle, Gascogne, or any French BB higher in tier than the Lyon (I do have the Martel).  I just repeatedly played the De Grasse and Martel for the second tasks (i.e. the task limited to any French ship tier 6+) in each mission groups, and whatever ships seemed best for the first tasks (i.e. the task for any ship of any nation tier 5+).  I only rarely did coop.  And I blew through this campaign fairly quickly.  I'm sure that there are some unicums who did it more quickly than I did.  But I did just fine as far as I'm concerned.  

For the ribbon based tasks, I used my Russian DDs (mostly the Khab and Kiev) for task 1 and my French cruisers for task 2.  

It really is not that difficult.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
7,783 battles

If you don't like high tier play, don't buy a T8 premium ship. 

Being uptiered is just fine for my Richelieu. The guns are still amazing against T10 targets and the armour still works. Being downtiered is actually not that good on it as all of the cruisers will get overpenned by your guns, even their citadels. She's not a very good HE spammer.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

I finished the Gold of France campaign today.  I didn't have any premium ships that would qualify, either, so I worked La Galissonniere and Algerie to repeat tasks 1 & 2 from each stage.  I'm hoping I earn Aigle with enough time to go back and complete a few (maybe all?) of the tasks requiring her.  I'm hoping to get another BB mission.

I did get Bretagne and Normandie from missions...getting a free T5 and T6 battleship, with all upgrades, was a huge relief to my silver totals.  But, getting the T7 and T8 would be even better!

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

T8 ships are just really crappy T10 ships, which is why you should never settle for a T8 that doesn't do something exceedingly well.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,238 posts

It wasn't terrible or all that grindy. I did get the upgraded hull for the Allspice out of the effort.  But yeah that French dispersion.... Yup yup.. it's pretty crappy and the fairly crappy aft turret firing angles on the Gastro... yeah.. crappy, too.  

I can understand OP's angst at the Gastro especially when you compare it to the Tripz.  

[WOLFB]
Members
1,732 posts
8,284 battles

Some T8 ship can perform well even against T10, Kagerou, Akizuki, Charles Martel are good example.

Gascogne is...decent I guess ? I don't own her but I don't think she's among those ship that can perform well when bottom tier. I don't really think she's really good against same tier ship actually. Plus BB in general kinda suffer from being bottom tier.

I'll just hope I'll earn Aigle in time 

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

Wow...  I finished the whole thing playing only Richelieu solo in randoms, did not find anything frustrating about it.  In fact it was fun.

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,119 battles

I was gonna try just for the Aigle. But after seeing it in action...meh. I pass on all these French missions. I have the Normandie and Lyon and I am happy with them. But I have no major urge to get any more French stuff. The Lyon is a ton of fun, though. As to uptiering...I just got the Loyang today. Really nice DD with some "interesting" features. No problems with it being uptiered. I think the mystique/novelty has worn off for me with French stuff. I can understand the OP being fed up with grinding for stuff. It can wear on you. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
5 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

E29Y5r8.png

I 100% regret buying my Gascogne. It's not a horrible ship - it plays something like a Roma with worse-turning, normal-performing guns. But the constant, constant, CONSTANT up-tiering, and the absolutely horrifying tier 10 meta... well, I'm just... done.

I'm not going to continue to do something that isn't fun, and these missions are antithesis of enjoyable. And that is largely because upper tier gameplay in general is the antithesis of enjoyable. I'm not sure what metrics your management types are looking at that says that the +2/-2 gameplay is amusing, or engaging, or profitable... but I'm no longer buying into it; and I'm certainly through participating in any more bogus campaigns that involve smashing my skull into this "content" head-on.

You want me to spend more money, Wargaming? Then stop making the high tier game experience the internet equivalent of this. 

Thats why you dont waste money on tier 8 premiums, if you are buying a tier 8 premium you are essentially volunteering to get f*cked over by the MM in 80-90% of your matches.

No offense, but I dont feel bad for people who bought Roma and Gascogne - they should have seen it coming...

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
289 posts
4,873 battles

Really, you should have expected that. I know what I'm getting when I buy a new T8 BB.

But I 100% regret my Gascogne because it makes Roma feel like it has Russian railguns.

[TG-38]
1,280 posts
7,305 battles

Vichy French crap that never left port after June, 1940, rotting away in Marseilles.

[TG-38]
1,280 posts
7,305 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_Orion said:

Really, you should have expected that. I know what I'm getting when I buy a new T8 BB.

But I 100% regret my Gascogne because it makes Roma feel like it has Russian railguns.

Roma is a brawler, period, but it takes awhile to get used to a ship that has no gimmick. Give me a hundred battles with 19 pt capn (almost there 100k left) and I will deal pain in this (6 kill battle last night! In a loss). The sad part is 90% of this and all my tier 8 BBs is they get stuck in T10 garbage battles. So, it's a tough crowd.