You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

How Are Players for Random Battles Selected?

28 comments in this topic

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

I'm still a noob, having only played 1189 battles at this point.  I'm currently in a Cleveland, and have become addicted to WoW since beginning play last year.

However, over the past couple of days it seems I rarely get on a winning team.  The problem is that often five or so ships simply hang out away from the battle and do not engage unless attacked.  They seem to play not to win but to survive the battle.  The reason I'm here is because in the last battle I played there were 4 BBs that sat back and watched three cruisers and a dd get wiped out at our base.  Then two of them ran away rather than at least try to take a couple of the enemy down before the enemy capped the base.

Right now I feel like letting WoW keep my money and just quit playing.  Losing almost all battles played lately makes me want to go get a root canal rather than continue.  But I've been on teams where everybody fights, and I know how much fun it is to play when everybody plays to win.

The question I have is does anyone know how the servers select people for random battle?  Is it truly random or are there algorithms  built into the selection?  Perhaps the people that spend the most $$$$ get to play together.  I don't have a clue how it's done but the winning percentage lately can't be because teams are created on pure chance alone.

Edited by Joe_918145
Typo
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

There are algorithms to select for Tiers and ship classes.  After that it is supposed to be random.

BTW, you might want to fix your thread title.  Ranked battles are a different thing.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,125 posts
6,810 battles

Over the long term, the common denominator of teams is you. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,847 posts
13,843 battles

The players you face in "Random" battles is random. Its the Match Maker trying to fill out a 12v12 game with the ships sitting in the cue. Some times, a lot of times, you get a team full of potatoes. Occasionally you get a team of protatoes. But most of the time it comes down to a few players pulling more than their weight to get the win. 

Random battles can be very frustrating when you're not winning or not doing well. At those points I recommend changing the ship and/or the tier you're playing at. If this doesn't help go play some operations. Find people to div with so you have team mates to fight the potatoes on both sides. If this doesn't help log off and take a break. The only thing you will get from repeatedly bashing your head against the wall is a headache.  

[BIAS]
Members
3,154 posts
9,272 battles
12 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

However, over the past couple of days it seems I rarely get on a winning team.  The problem is that often five or so ships simply hang out away from the battle and do not engage unless attacked.  They seem to play not to win but to survive the battle.  The reason I'm here is because in the last battle I played there were 4 BBs that sat back and watched three cruisers and a dd get wiped out at our base.  Then two of them ran away rather than at least try to take a couple of the enemy down before the enemy capped the base.

There are always going to be campers, but judging from what you are saying and doing a little bit of digging, I would hazard a guess that you are too aggressive and dying way too early and too easily and not doing enough to help your team.

I would encourage you to learn how best the ship you are using should be played and do so. Also you have only played US crusiers, you have no idea how to play DD's, BB's and CV's. If you know nothing about them, it can be hard to know how to counter them. I would encourage you to try a few of them out to know how they work.

Like enderland said, the only common denominator isyuo, so if you work hard so that you can pick up the slack for team mates with shortcomings, you will see your WR pick up.

Edited by Ducky_shot

[5D5]
Members
2,289 posts
14,387 battles

While this running away to survive the battle rather than fight to win is getting more frustrating to watch, OP you need to do more yourself to influence the battle.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
442 posts
18,749 battles

they are selected purely by skill and know how Kinda Like Special Forces. And then are dropped into battle together as they instantly mesh into a singular fighting unit with one goal in mind. :Smile_izmena::etc_swear: Yeah that about sums it up. 

• Funny 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
730 posts
11,955 battles

The question of how random matchmaking really is has been a question for a long time. Wherever one falls on that question, the fact remains that better play can influence the chance of a win. If you have not already done so, allow me to suggest that you have a look at https://na.warships.today/ where you can log in and have a look at your in-game battle statistics. You will note that your scores are compared to the server average. It may help you to work on one ship, trying to better your score in one way, until you can see improvement. This is a very helpful tool when analyzing performance.

Also, allow me to respectfully suggest that, if you have not done so, check out Youtube for helpful videos on how to play most any ship in the game. These videos can provide very useful insight about the relative strengths and weaknesses of your ship, how to make the most of your strength and how to minimize the weakness.

Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your recent string of losses. I think we have all been there.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
41 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I'm still a noob, having only played 1189 battles at this point.  I'm currently in a Cleveland, and have become addicted to WoW since beginning play last year.

Right now I feel like letting WoW keep my money and just quit playing.  Losing almost all battles played lately makes me want to go get a root canal rather than continue.  But I've been on teams where everybody fights, and I know how much fun it is to play when everybody plays to win.

The question I have is does anyone know how the servers select people for random battle?  Is it truly random or are there algorithms  built into the selection?  Perhaps the people that spend the most $$$$ get to play together.  I don't have a clue how it's done but the winning percentage lately can't be because teams are created on pure chance alone.

Well Joe Your experiencing The Random woe's find a few friends or join a Clan and start your learning curve of Team Play through Divisions and Clan Battles. Friends make the Losses bearable.

[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles

Well, it's always frustrating when you end up on a team with players who are exhibiting the behaviors you mentioned.  However, all things being equal, you'll eventually end up on a team with better players and start winning again.  

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,481 battles
54 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

Your case is odd because you've played 1000+ battles but only in a few ships. The common theme of these losing teams is that they have you on them. You deal, on average, 13k a round in the Cleveland. That's basically nothing, especially for such a strong ship. That's much lower than average and much, much lower than what a typical player who wins more than 50% of games would average. So your teams, at this point, need more from you. What can you personally do to be better? I understand you are frustrated with the play of others but chances are they are equally frustrated with you. 

I recommend watching video guides on the particular ships you enjoy while also trying to join a clan that will guide you. Learning more and playing with people that want to win will help ease the pain of randoms. 

• Cool 1

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles
20 minutes ago, Amracil said:

The question of how random matchmaking really is has been a question for a long time. Wherever one falls on that question, the fact remains that better play can influence the chance of a win. If you have not already done so, allow me to suggest that you have a look at https://na.warships.today/ where you can log in and have a look at your in-game battle statistics. You will note that your scores are compared to the server average. It may help you to work on one ship, trying to better your score in one way, until you can see improvement. This is a very helpful tool when analyzing performance.

Also, allow me to respectfully suggest that, if you have not done so, check out Youtube for helpful videos on how to play most any ship in the game. These videos can provide very useful insight about the relative strengths and weaknesses of your ship, how to make the most of your strength and how to minimize the weakness.

Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your recent string of losses. I think we have all been there.

Respects,

Am

Thanks for the link to the stat site, Am.  That gives me great insight as to how I'm doing relative to other Cleveland captains.  I already knew I had some improving to do on my own as I'm a little shy of 45% on the win rate.  I do agree that I should take responsibility for overall team performance.

I'm less than 300,000 points from getting my commander promoted to Elite.  Once I do that, I plan to go down the line with American BBs.  DDs will come last.

I'm not really a gamer, just found WoW one day and have been hooked ever since.  I may have to get a real gaming PC now.

Thanks for the helpful advice from you and the rest of the guys here.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

I've played a bit of Cleveland too, and don't do all that well in her, but one of the things I have learned is that you can't yolo - or even push hard - because she can be seen from the other side of the planet.  Once seen, every BB in the region will send love your way.

You have to stay back, or at least with the BBs, until forces are revealed and hopefully engaged elsewhere.  Or get to cover and poke out for pot shots, and come out when you can get a good grasp of the tactical situation and judge that you can help.  Meanwhile, let your DDs spot for you and shoot at what they see, then get back into cover. 

When things thin out near the end of the game, a Cleveland can become a monster.  But you have to get there.

6 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I may have to get a real gaming PC now.

Oh, don't worry about that.  WoWS will run fine on just about anything made in this century.  A good monitor can be a joy, though.

Good luck.

Members
87 posts
404 battles
1 hour ago, Joe_918145 said:

Randomly 

Members
87 posts
404 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Over the long term, the common denominator of teams is you. 

This ^

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,998 battles

Add me to your contacts list and you can division with myself and some of my friends. They are better than me (hard to believe, right??) and we all like to help other players boost their win rate and get better at the game.

See you in port! Cheers.

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,738 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

Add me to your contacts list and you can division with myself and some of my friends. They are better than me (hard to believe, right??) and we all like to help other players boost their win rate and get better at the game.

See you in port! Cheers.

Ditto, can div too.

[SF-A]
Members
2,899 posts
5,719 battles

As far as the playerbase knows, totally randomly. Devs have been silent on it since the game started.

As for the 'noob' part, I'm happy to division if you catch me online. Throw me an invite sometime!

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,998 battles

Another thing:  my first 2000 or so battles were almost exclusively in USN ships, mainly destroyers. I stubbornly tried to grind one line and get good through sheer number of games played. I'd get a new ship, go in stock, and loose my 20 of my first 30 games. I've learned a few thongs from that: 1. I'm not terribly good with USN DDs (although I've gotten better). 2. There are myriad playstyles out there and you need to find a ship/some ships/a line that fits yours.

I also started watching vids before getting a new ship, and learned as much about what it does as possible. In my last 1000 or so games, I've started winning 16/17ish of my first 30 games in a new ship. I've found ships that fit my playstyle. I've joined a clan with good players, and my WR and other stats have climbed steadily.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,640 posts
13,631 battles

Hey Welcome to The Forum you get a plus one just because you come here seeking and you're not too proud to ask for info or look for it

The best of the best come here so you have world at your fingertips for anything you need to know about this game

And it can be quite humorous also good luck out there:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, Filthy_Pelican said:

they are selected purely by skill and know how Kinda Like Special Forces. And then are dropped into battle together as they instantly mesh into a singular fighting unit with one goal in mind. :Smile_izmena::etc_swear: Yeah that about sums it up. 

Isn't this what unicum divisions are?

• Funny 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Simplest answer:

giphy.gif

Because outside of ship type and tier, mm doesn't really care.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
730 posts
11,955 battles
19 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Thanks for the link to the stat site, Am.  That gives me great insight as to how I'm doing relative to other Cleveland captains.  I already knew I had some improving to do on my own as I'm a little shy of 45% on the win rate.  I do agree that I should take responsibility for overall team performance.

I'm less than 300,000 points from getting my commander promoted to Elite.  Once I do that, I plan to go down the line with American BBs.  DDs will come last.

I'm not really a gamer, just found WoW one day and have been hooked ever since.  I may have to get a real gaming PC now.

Thanks for the helpful advice from you and the rest of the guys here.

No matter how good you get, sometimes, whether due to having more under-performing players on your team than the red team, RNG, or both, you will still have losing streaks. This game just seems to be that way, brother. I am not a great player or expert at the game, but I do know that much.

Best of luck with the U.S. BB line. I have made it as far as the North Carolina, which I think is very fun to play. NC is the first U.S. BB with speed sufficient to follow the action (or withdraw from too much heat) and guns that seem quite accurate. But showing broadside can be extremely painful. And the AA is terrific, for those times when red planes happen to get close. But New York (slow, terrible dispersion), New Mexico (slow, terrible dispersion but heaven help anything you catch broadside at close or mid range), and Colorado (slow, tough as nails, but not enough guns imo) all have their issues. So the grind can be long and frustrating at times. I really recommend making the most of Youtube to watch videos about each ship you are playing.

Though you may not have been a gamer before now, it sounds like you are. Welcome! Fortunately, as has been mentioned, this game can run pretty well on most machines if you keep your in-game video settings fairly low.

As others have said, if you ever want a division mate, consider me quite willing. We (ICOP) have a Mumble server running 24/7 and the info to join us there is on our clan page. The benefits of having voice comms while playing cannot be overstated. And if you decide to join a clan that has voice comms your game will likely begin to improve as you will hear advice from those you are playing the game with in real time.

Thanks for coming to the forums with your questions, and for being willing to hear advice and suggestions with an open mind.

Respects,

Am

[PROJX]
Members
976 posts
15,763 battles
22 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Tho the actual secret algorthims for MM are not known, there are certain rules that currently apply to MM:

• In general you have +/- 2 tiers per match with the following exceptions:
    • Up to Tier 4 you have protected MM at +/- 1 Tier.  If you are in T4, you can at most see a T5 ship
    • At one time certain Premium ships had protected MM - mainly because they were at a tier where thay had no AA
  • There are always the same number of CVs on each team:
    • For T7+ there is only one, if any
    • For T4-6 - you can have up to 2 CVs per side
  • There is currently no allowance for ship characteristics such as Radar or Hydro capability.  Thus one team can have a majority of the radar ships and the other team practically none.  WG is intending to change this sometime in the future.
  • Currently you'll find at most a +/- 1 difference in the types of ships on each team and they are more or less balanced.  This usually manifests as one team having an extra DD and the other having an extra Cruiser.
  • Other than these items, there's no clear evidence of preferential MM based on Premium ship costs, whales, or even skill thresholds.

Results you see in MM due to the previous rules:

• T6 & T8 usually get the roughest MM (i.e. where you're low-tier more) due to the concentration of the boundary tiers around them:
    • With T8 - it's because T10 only has 3 tiers of ships to choose from and T9 only 4 due the the Tier boundaries
    • With T6 - it's because of the Protected  MM boundary between T4 & T5 which causes a pileup at this tier
  • T7 seems to be the current sweet spot in MM based on current MM behavior
  • Based on these parameters, the best players can do to "game" MM at the current time is by forming a "Cancer" division.  This is usually a very strong division of 3 ships which heavily compliment each other and are Captained by experienced players.  MM will put the 3 of you in a game aligned w/ the previously outlined guidelines and unless the enemy has a similar division and you're low-tiered, you generally have a pretty fair advantage over your counterparts on the enemy team.
Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1