You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptCombustion

Client updates via satellite...

14 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts
4,048 battles

Time: 1911Z
Heading: 025T
Speed: 15kts

Percent completed for patch download: 85%
Time elapsed: 39 hrs 46 minutes and counting...

Bad enough having to play over a truly skitzo satellite connection while we're at sea but these 100+ Mb updates are horrific.

That is all.

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles

and @sbcptnitro teases me about having bad internet....

I feel for you man. I can't imagine what playing must be like....

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,727 posts
9,120 battles

Ouch and I thought the 12Mb DSL that rarely topped 6Mb I used to have was bad.

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,792 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

and @sbcptnitro teases me about having bad internet....

I feel for you man. I can't imagine what playing must be like....

@Ducky_shot  is just jealous of my recent upgrade.

Members
3,492 posts
6,195 battles

Sat can be very fast (though on board ship probably very limited speed) but it is the latency you can't mitigate that does you in.  Can't imagine being able to play with a couple second latency.  It is really unplayable at 150+ ms latency.

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,947 battles
10 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Sat can be very fast (though on board ship probably very limited speed) but it is the latency you can't mitigate that does you in.  Can't imagine being able to play with a couple second latency.  It is really unplayable at 150+ ms latency.

My good latency is between 300-400 on my satellite connection.  Two years ago it was playable, but you had to aim your impacts 2-3 ship lengths in front of the target (watch your rounds hit the water, but still registering hits).  WG somehow tweaked the game where satellite players can now play and still be competitive where the rounds actually land where you want them too for a hit.  The only disadvantage I now have is when I come in contact with another ship, they get to see me first by a second or two.  They always get to shoot first.  I would probably have way better stats if I had a good cable internet connection.

Members
3,492 posts
6,195 battles

Would love to know what sat you are connecting to.  Love to know how it can have that low of a latency with it.  It would have to be really low orbit for it to be that low latency.  1 second each way is pretty much standard.

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
1 minute ago, CylonRed said:

Would love to know what sat you are connecting to.  Love to know how it can have that low of a latency with it.  It would have to be really low orbit for it to be that low latency.  1 second each way is pretty much standard.

Has to be in LEO and I bet military based on first post. 

Members
3,492 posts
6,195 battles
19 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Has to be in LEO and I bet military based on first post. 

I have no doubts he in is in the military but I am not sure a Sat can be that low in orbit and be in a stable orbit unless there is some new tech that negates physics... :)

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
16 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I have no doubts he in is in the military but I am not sure a Sat can be that low in orbit and be in a stable orbit unless there is some new tech that negates physics... :)

Radio signals travel about 1,800 miles per millisecond, so LEO is reachable at that speed of 300-400 milliseconds.

[WOLF4]
Members
106 posts
4,220 battles
16 hours ago, CaptCombustion said:

Time: 1911Z
Heading: 025T
Speed: 15kts

Percent completed for patch download: 85%
Time elapsed: 39 hrs 46 minutes and counting...

Bad enough having to play over a truly skitzo satellite connection while we're at sea but these 100+ Mb updates are horrific.

That is all.

No fixed wireless internet services available in your area?

Edited by Colonel_Potter

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
29 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

No fixed wireless internet services available in your area?

Probably, yes. But the WiFi is attached to the satellite. I'm guessing a USN ship.

Members
34 posts
4,048 battles

Depending on location, we can patch into different nets. Any of the geosynchronous sats incur longer roundtrip times (ship to sat to shore to sat to ship). When we're on those nets (further out to sea), playing is really not an option. The bandwidth also scales dynamically depending on current mission load. Obviously, personal stuff does not run on any of the 'good satellte' nets.

This pretty much makes me a donor/collector since playing, especially playing well, is such a challenge. Of course, when I'm home WoWS takes a back seat to a bunch of other stuff!

Members
34 posts
4,048 battles
35 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

No fixed wireless services available in your area?

Well, we're talking about being at sea and land-based wireless is only good out to maybe 20nm. In certain areas like maybe the Gulf of Mexico, there can be 4G/LTE service running from oil platforms but areas like that are far and few between.