Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Vasius12

Detected while in smoke

22 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
14,185 battles

Just left a match where I was using my Z-52 to spot a shima hiding behind a island, hit smoke and hydro he is 3km away and suddenly I am detected but the 2 radar ships have just used radar before I got there and the only thing I can think of is somehow the assured detection range has been changed from 2km to 3km but the info on the ship tab hasnt been updated as of yet.

Thoughts?

Members
411 posts

Proximity detection is a thing. In the game if you are a certain distance away from someone (1-1.5km? not sure) you will spot each other no matter what is between you. Was he moving towards you while you were spotting him?

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,686 battles

Smoke detection is no longer a universal 2km. It varies by ship.

[R-F]
Members
754 posts
6,378 battles

Someone may have been using the Target Acquisition System Modification 1 upgrade.  That would push the range of the guaranteed detection (regardless of smoke, landmass, or anything else) from 2 km to 3km.

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles

Target acquisition mod. Stupidest thing to run on a dd, but they exist.... 

image.thumb.png.24225b4fffa39d83b1bc73ef0488f01f.png

[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles
11 minutes ago, Vasius12 said:

Just left a match where I was using my Z-52 to spot a shima hiding behind a island, hit smoke and hydro he is 3km away and suddenly I am detected but the 2 radar ships have just used radar before I got there and the only thing I can think of is somehow the assured detection range has been changed from 2km to 3km but the info on the ship tab hasnt been updated as of yet.

Thoughts?

Detection after firing guns in smoke is 2.9 km.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
5 posts
14,185 battles

I was not firing so it must have been the shima using the detection mode he did spend the entire game hiding in the same spot so more than likely that.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,442 battles
7 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Could be running vigilance. That extends the base detect too. 

pretty sure it only applies to torps but I could be wrong...
I am wondering a few things... one of which is how after 10K battles the OP is having issues with this kind of thing...
and the other is, well as above how one does not know ab out proxy... but then on THAT note he should spot the same ship that proxy spotted him>??

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
11 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

It's confusing because TAM works for torpedoes and spotting, but vigilance does not work for spotting, just torps

image.thumb.png.953667813ed907fc4825c9dc618c56e9.png

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,963 battles

Proximity:At 2 km ships will automatically detect each other regardless of LoS, making it possible for ships to be detected even if they are hiding inside a smoke screen or behind terrain. The ship upgrade Target Acquisition System Modification 1 will extend it permanently to 3 km. The Shima Co may have picked that then CE captain skill to bring it down again.

9 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

. but then on THAT note he should spot the same ship that proxy spotted him>??

Not if the shima now has a permanent proximity detect of 3km while he has 2 km.

Tempting to try it out.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
19 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

but then on THAT note he should spot the same ship that proxy spotted him>??

The ship that is running TAM has its regular spotting increased by 20%, but its assured detection range where it detects ships by proximity goes up by 50%. So its increased spotting does not apply when LOS is broken. The regular proximity detection range of 2km would still apply while its able to spot ships at 3km.

How do you not know about that after 9k battles??? :Smile_teethhappy:

21 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

one of which is how after 10K battles the OP is having issues with this kind of thing...
and the other is, well as above how one does not know ab out proxy... 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

Yesterday met a Khaba in random using Target Aquisition, it was terrifying to face in an inferiorly gunned DD.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,963 battles
19 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

How do you not know about that after 9k battles??? 

To be fair, how many players take TAM rather than CE for a Shima?

[NMKJT]
Members
2,728 posts
38 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

It's confusing because TAM works for torpedoes and spotting, but vigilance does not work for spotting, just torps

image.thumb.png.953667813ed907fc4825c9dc618c56e9.png

Oops, stand corrected

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,442 battles
13 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

The ship that is running TAM has its regular spotting increased by 20%, but its assured detection range where it detects ships by proximity goes up by 50%. So its increased spotting does not apply when LOS is broken. The regular proximity detection range of 2km would still apply while its able to spot ships at 3km.

How do you not know about that after 9k battles??? :Smile_teethhappy:

LAGtvPn.gif

• Funny 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,233 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

To be fair, how many players take TAM rather than CE for a Shima?

to be fair, pmg was pestering the OP about not knowing about assured detection after 10k battles and then wondered himself if a ship running TAM would be mutaully spotted at the same range, pmg having 9k games.

• Cool 2

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Someone may have been using the Target Acquisition System Modification 1 upgrade.  That would push the range of the guaranteed detection (regardless of smoke, landmass, or anything else) from 2 km to 3km.

^ What he said. Normal assured detection is no less than 2k, with that upgrade it moves to no less than 3k.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
2 hours ago, Vasius12 said:

Thoughts?

It might have been like a my Bismarck battle this morning where I had 2-4 seconds left of Hydro and the enemy DD in a cap made the mistake of launching his Torps with just barely any time left on my Hydro which gave me enough time to evade the Torps.

Could it have been possible that enemy might have had tiny bit of time left on radar or Hydro?

Other option is especially if enemy ships are coordinating efforts ( yes rarely happens but can happen ) and using premium Consumables is that they can alternate who does the radar so when 1 goes down the next activates and if by some chance they both have premium Consumables as well as jack of all trades and Consumables flag they can essentially keep the radar up continuously with some small windows of time with it going down or until they burn though it. But best way is 3 ship division eqquiped like this as far as constant radar.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

My wife runs vigilance. She sees me making a torp run at her from miles away. It's BRUTAL.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,186 battles

Since you were shooting at the Shima from smoke on Hydro, and since you claim that the Two Radar ships in the enemy team are out of the question, there are two possibilities:
1.) The Shima was running the TASM1(for some reason) and proxy spotted you at 3km from behind as island

2.) Shima was so close and had LoS that you'd be detected even from smoke while firing

Sign in to follow this