You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ixnehc

asashio torps idea

4 comments in this topic

[WSSF]
Members
9 posts
4,077 battles

looking at videos and other threads on the forum, it seems that the asashio torps are really broken. However, I do like the idea of long range torpedos to punish people sailing in straight lines in the backline. This made me realize that torpedoes are fundamentally broken in the sense that they are always better close range since they spread out the farther they travel and have a higher chance of being spotted. This fundamental property of current torps means that torps will punish people that are active more than people that are passive, and I think gameplay is already too passive as it is.

My suggestion is that there should be some mechanic that strengthens torpedoes the longer they travel, to offset the difficulties at aiming at targets further away. What if the torpedoes decrease in detection to make it harder to dodge the longer they travel. This will allow counterplay at close ranges since torps will be detected earlier so people can dodge, while at long range, the torps would be hard to detect, and impossible to dodge. For example, what if the asashio torps had a 2km detection range if they travel less than 8 km, and then the detection drops to like 1 at 8-12km, and then 0.5 past 12 km. This would allow people that are pushing and paying attention to dodge the torps, as well as encouraging the asashio players to get closer to the caps. Also, this would still let you punish people potatoing far away. Since the asashio has special torps anyways, maybe implement this mechanic only on asashio, and if it works well, then it can be rolled out globally/lines.

Though this mechanic isn't realistic, this is an arcade shooter and it seems good for balance. We already have stuff like AA and radar going through island that is unrealistic.

[INTEL]
Members
6,658 posts
25,685 battles

How about no. It is broken already.

You want to hit back campers with a DD? Go to the back and hit them. Existing torpedoes in almost all DDs are ok and somewhat balanced.We had ridiculous torps in Shimakaze at one point. Luckily they went out of business.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,535 battles

Oh wg just give me back the old fubuki

Edited by silverdahc

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,570 posts
8,995 battles

The patterns used with torpedoes of the era widened out as they went farther.