You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
yashma

Mechanic change to make BBs more citadelable?

65 comments in this topic

[OPG]
Members
3,970 posts
5,672 battles

So we've all see the training room footage of people citadeling République's with cruiser AP....but then footage started to emerge of Des Moines citadeling Conqueror's and Kurfursts at long range....and now this...

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrispyUnsightlyFrogPicoMause

A Montana landing consistent citadels at close range against a Conqueror?  I'm sure many of you saw the PTS footage of a Montana dev striking a Conqueror with AP at medium range, much to everyone's shock.  So this raises the question, has this always been possible, or did the latest patch change something?  I had noticed getting a surprising amount of citadels against Kurfurt's with my République, but I just assumed that was due to the 17inch's fantastic AP pen.  Now I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, WG changed something last patch the is leading to more citadel hits against BBs. 

Thoughts?  Has anyone else noticed something out of the ordinary going on in regard to citadeling BBs?

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles

0.7.2 changed terminal ballistics.

0XKKDV6.jpg

Key phrase "We enhanced the interaction between the shells and ship's armor during contact." (Source) This might be a side effect of that.

• Cool 4

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,132 battles

Flamu is testing it on stream right now. He's been reliably citadeling Conqs at all ranges, and GKs are med to long range. Cruisers seem to have better citadel chances as well. I know I hit a GK for a citadel with my IA today at long range, going to have to try it myself more.

I think Lert has it, they messed with the shell mechanics and this happened. Real encouraging for when they mess with the BB AP pen on DDs.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I might have to get the tub of popcorn ready (and the rubber boots for wading thru puddles of tears). BBs have been able to citadel CAs from just about any angle for quite some time, and whenever someone complains about how easily this is done, most of the BB community ignores the complaints and responds with "this is how it should be".

Now just imagine what those same BB players will be saying if suddenly THEY can be citadelled easier... AND BY CRUISERS!

I'm betting they'll flood the forums with posts about how they demand immediate action before the entire world stops spinning!

This should be entertaining.

:Smile_popcorn:

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Bad 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles
6 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I might have to get the tub of popcorn ready (and the rubber boots for wading thru puddles of tears). BBs have been able to citadel CAs from just about any angle for quite some time, and whenever someone complains about how easily this is done, most of the BB community ignores the complaints and responds with "this is how it should be".

Now just imagine what those same BB players will be saying if suddenly THEY can be citadelled easier... AND BY CRUISERS!

I'm betting they'll flood the forums with posts about how they demand immediate action before the entire world stops spinning!

This should be entertaining.

:Smile_popcorn:

oh yes get the popcorn ready with extra salt please:cap_popcorn:

4 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

MY GAWD THEY FINALLY LIFTED THE NERF!!!

I may have to break out my Cruisers it's been awhile

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

oh yes get the popcorn ready with extra salt please:cap_popcorn:

I may have to break out my Cruisers it's been awhile

I got a citadel on montana with HE on hindenburg not too long ago. Did t even have ifhe on

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles
Just now, JessieTheKitty said:

I got a citadel on montana with HE on hindenburg not too long ago. Did t even have ifhe on

I've been looking for a reason to grind to the DM this may be it:Smile_smile:

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Unintended consequences  of EXPLOSIVE MAGNITUDE. Now this is Funny.

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,558 battles
2 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

...and don't forget the obligatory "git gud" comments.

If this is an unintended consequence of the mechanic changes it's not a bad thing. It gets tiring spamming HE to burn them down and there's only so much superstructure to pummel with AP.

Let the weeping and gnashing of teeth commence forthwith.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

... (Although it does look like I picked the wrong week to finish grinding out the USN BB line lol)... Will still be fun to watch.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
7,227 battles
6 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I've been looking for a reason to grind to the DM this may be it:Smile_smile:

DM still has the horrible 8" USN HE but its AP is amazing

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,923 battles
3 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

... (Although it does look like I picked the wrong week to finish grinding out the USN BB line lol)... Will still be fun to watch.

High tier USN BBs are generally safer to an extent, as they have thick armor below the waterline. This is mostly hitting ships that have no real armor along the citadel sides below the belt.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles
18 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

As a BB main, this change doesn't bother me in the least.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles

I've watched so many Cruisers get their butts beat by all the battleships out there I didn't think it was even worth the trouble

now maybe it's not

Is the reign of the all-powerful Unstoppable Battleship over I better get some butter for my popcorn:cap_win:

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,951 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'm fine with this, too. Frankly, this just rewards good shooting, and as I am a good shot, it should benefit me to a high degree. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

No I don't think it really it's going to be a meta changing Nerf just something a little extra for the smaller ones to throw more AP instead of Fire

Plus I think you're a good player but for the inexperienced Battleship mains it's going to be hard on there egos to hear they  are more vulnerable now

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Won't this have equal implications on CA citadels?

Yes probably but they get Citadel easily anyways so really probably not much of a change

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles
Just now, silverdahc said:

for the inexperienced Battleship mains it's going to be hard on there egos to hear they  are more vulnerable now

Meh, it's still chip damage. Even a Hindenburg AP shell citadels only for 5600 damage, against targets that have ~80k+ hp a piece.

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,467 battles

Honestly the changes are so good for the games health.

Its like raising the cits of all the battleships, but even better. This is what Ive wanted for a long time now.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,994 posts
5,923 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

Meh, it's still chip damage. Even a Hindenburg AP shell citadels only for 5600 damage, against targets that have ~80k+ hp a piece.

Really the only change is that they can't heal that damage back as effectively. To be honest, this only makes a difference at a specific angle within a specific range bracket anyways. I fully expect people to just continue firing HE and AP into the superstructure as its still a more reliable way of doing damage.

What needs to be done now is a large scale test to see if this has changed things dramatically when it comes to battleships shooting other battleships at ranges/angles that were previously considered "safe". I did some preliminary firing tests with Alabama versus Republique in the same range brackets, and never achieved a single citadel.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles
1 minute ago, Big_Spud said:

Really the only change is that they can't heal that damage back as effectively. To be honest, this only makes a difference at a specific angle within a specific range bracket anyways. I full expect people to just contuse firing HE and AP into the superstructure as its still a more reliable way of doing damage.

The - .... lesser skilled will certainly just keep on doing that. This change just adds an option for more skilled players, who've mastered shot placement and ammo choice. For the majority of players and situations this doesn't change anything really.