You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

THE SINKING OF HMS AUDACIOUS

13 comments in this topic

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

Audacious.jpg.9d354c4d1fff00715a123a4fa31fbd9b.jpg

HMS Audacious

The King George V super-dreadnought class was the pinnacle of naval design at the time. HMS Audacious was essentially an improved Orion-class dreadnought (our tier IV Orion in WoWs) enlarged and improved with the same guns and better armour. Our Iron Duke tier V in turn is an improvement on the KGV class. The Audacious in WoWs would be a tier IV.5 if you will.

A fine little clip on her sinking (as soon as you hear the words "was considered unsinkable" you have to know the ship is doomed):

Spoiler

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

Thank you plus one for your effort to put it in the Forum:cap_like:

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
4 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Thank you plus one for your effort to put it in the Forum:cap_like:

Thanks for that :)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,383 battles

Nice video find, I'll have to wait until I get home to watch with sound.

It is interesting how this is the first example of a couple of repeated themes - British battleships (and Japanese) had a tendency to explode after capsizing - Barham, Yamato too. The Nelson would be mined to the north off Loch Ewe on the west coast of Scotland very early in WWII which is a surprising parallel.

Also interesting that the British chose to put the powder rooms above the shell rooms through WWI ships and up to Hood (her later sisters would have reversed it) in order to lessen the risks of submerged explosions, an act which never seemed to pay off yet which may have contributed to some losses. Admirals in WWI spent a huge amount of time worried about mines and submarines which overall never inflicted heavy losses, Audacious being an exception - though with 28 Dreadnoughts at Jutland losing one to mines isn't the end of the world.

• Cool 1

Members
155 posts
10,415 battles

I have actually dived this wreck, It lies in 60-70 metres of the Irish coast. Its a fantastic dive, the ship is in pretty good shape and the gun turrets are still intact.

Image result for hms audacious wreck

• Cool 2

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
20 hours ago, denismc66 said:

I have actually dived this wreck, It lies in 60-70 metres of the Irish coast. Its a fantastic dive, the ship is in pretty good shape and the gun turrets are still intact.

+1 for that, it must have been an incredible experience--under 300 feet depth I am guessing, and is that one of your pics? Post more if you can. Looks like the divers are using rebreathers.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
20 hours ago, mofton said:

Also interesting that the British chose to put the powder rooms above the shell rooms through WWI ships and up to Hood (her later sisters would have reversed it) in order to lessen the risks of submerged explosions, an act which never seemed to pay off

Good post. What was the logic behind that placement since it didn't seem to work?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,383 battles
11 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Good post. What was the logic behind that placement since it didn't seem to work?

They were worried about mines/torpedoes setting off the powder if it was deep in the hull. If it's deeper it's closer to the source of the mine/torpedo explosion and in theory more vulnerable.

Given that Marlborough (torpedo) and Audacious (mine) didn't have problems with exploding as a direct result of the impact the fear was probably exaggerated. The Germans never had a modern ship explode due to submerged damage, despite Seydlitz being torpedoed below A turret (and mined). The pre-Dreadnought battleship Pommern exploded as a result of a torpedo at Jutland, but she was old, poorly protected and subdivided.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

The pre-Dreadnought battleship Pommern exploded as a result of a torpedo at Jutland, but she was old, poorly protected and subdivided.

And the only battleship sunk in the battle, all hands lost.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,383 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

And the only battleship sunk in the battle, all hands lost.

Spee should have left the Pre-Dreadnoughts at home, the British should have left their Armored Cruisers at home too. More of a liability than a help.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
20 minutes ago, mofton said:

Spee should have left the Pre-Dreadnoughts at home, the British should have left their Armored Cruisers at home too. More of a liability than a help.

Not to mention Jackie's beloved battlecruisers, or at least the way they were deployed.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,383 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

Not to mention Jackie's beloved battlecruisers, or at least the way they were deployed.

The battlecruisers may have had the odd issue with, ahem, exploding. However they were the only ships to sink a major German ship in return, and they did the battlecruiser job fairly well, scouting and dragging the HSF up to the Grand Fleet to get its' T-crossed. Hipper meanwhile was like 'sorry boss, being in command of 'I Scouting Group' didn't notice that collection of 25 Dreadnoughts and all!'.

Maybe some of the earlier/lighter Invincibles shouldn't have been used, and Beatty was a bit (a lot) of a numpty, but no battlecruisers, no engagement at all.

Trading two old and one modern battlecruiser for a modern German battlecruiser, severe damage to most of the others and a light cruiser wasn't a great trade, but if the British had to lose ships, the Invincible/Indefatigable class were among the most 'expendable'.

Members
155 posts
10,415 battles
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

+1 for that, it must have been an incredible experience--under 300 feet depth I am guessing, and is that one of your pics? Post more if you can. Looks like the divers are using rebreathers.

Not my photos I am afraid, tech diving is an expensive hobby as is, add to that $5-10k for a high end camera set-up and my wife would leave me.