You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BCGrog

Free For All Game Mode - Suggestion

37 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
37 posts
6,981 battles

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this has ever been considered.

You know how we have Domination, Standard Battle and Epicenter and you never know what mode you will be dropped into.

How much fun would it be for WG to add a new mode just for fun into the rotation - Free for All.

Instead of 24 ships split into two teams of 12, you get 24 ships spawned in a circle around the map and everyone goes at it to last man standing.

Further thoughts:

- It would be a rare game mode

- Preferably any map because certain ships need island cover and it would be a blast to ambush around islands etc

- All classes of ships except carriers ( can't see them having much chance )

-  WG would have to limit it to Tier 8 but + 2 / -2 MM still applies?

- It would be utter and complete hilarious mayhem

- Special award for the winner

If they can't make it work in the Random battles rotation, they could put it in Scenarios.

I'm sure I haven't thought up all the issues this would need sussed out but I thought I'd give you some granola to chomp on this morning as I sit in a hotel room waiting to go to a meeting.

Could you imagine sitting in your Bismarck and clicking in to a Free for All with that ship? Fireworks!

Discuss.

• Bad 3

[HINON]
Supertester
19,230 posts
12,759 battles

Been suggested before. Many, many times.

There are serious problems with the idea. Especially when you start implementing +/- 2 tier spread - even with +/- 1 tier spread you've got the same problems.

How fun is this going to be for the poor sod in a T6 cruiser that spawns right in between two T8 battleships? How fun is this going to be for the poor sod in a low tier destroyer that spawns right next to an Atlanta?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,577 battles

'Free for All' would dictate only ONE class of ship in each arena.  Different map for each ship type.

It would also need to be announced in advanced, so the op can prepare the ship -- like in a scenario mission selection.

Reasoning is that many ships go into battle as a 'support' ship, like an Atlanta - that can shred DDs and planes, but won't last long against crazy Ashigara.

Selection would be based on who can stand alone, and who won't stand out as a one-salvo-speed-bump.

And you know clans are going to be sync-dropping into this sooooo....   whatever.

Members
519 posts
3,356 battles
23 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

Hell no I don't want any part of this or any other posts about it.

24 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

- All classes of ships except carriers

So you're wanting  to force players to play a type of ship they might not and not let players play a Carrier when that may be all they play ? 

Members
191 posts

Believe the proper term for such a setting is called Death Match or Team Death Match depending on setup. Been suggested before.
Considering that killing all opponents can already end a match, team death match is technically already in the game.

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles
1 minute ago, xovian said:

Believe the proper term for such a setting is called Death Match or Team Death Match depending on setup. Been suggested before.
Considering that killing all opponents can already end a match, team death match is technically already in the game.

It wouldn't be "Team Death Match" that would not be a free for all, that's team vs team. The name other games have given it is "Elimination".

Members
191 posts
1 minute ago, jager_geist said:

It wouldn't be "Team Death Match" that would not be a free for all, that's team vs team. The name other games have given it is "Elimination".

Really? I was not saying death match and team death match are the same. I only pointed out team version is already technically in the game.

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles
1 minute ago, xovian said:

Really? I was not saying death match and team death match are the same. I only pointed out team version is already technically in the game.

Not at all what the topic is about. It is about individuals standing alone against everyone else. So, no it doesn't technically already exist in the game.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
947 posts
10,407 battles

No FFA game mode is devoid of tactics and strategy. It just comes down to who randomly did not get focus down at the beginning. If you spawn everyone far apart, then everyone sail away from each other indefinitely trying to out live each other. 

[CAST]
Members
1,209 posts
7,388 battles
Just now, NCC81701 said:

No FFA game mode is devoid of tactics and strategy. It just comes down to who randomly did not get focus down at the beginning. If you spawn everyone far apart, then everyone sail away from each other indefinitely trying to out live each other. 

This^^^^.

It would promote a "hide and wait to see what happens" type of game play.  We have that now, but it would get worst in a free for all.

Members
191 posts
4 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

Not at all what the topic is about. It is about individuals standing alone against everyone else. So, no it doesn't technically already exist in the game.

Team version of death match already exists. it exists in co-op it exists in random...you kill all the other team the fing game ends. Ergo Team Death Match.

Need me to spell this out further or do you just want to argue now? No one is the #$%#$ stupid.

And i agree with others, it would be who randomly gets taken out before others based on starting area and who hides better. No skill required, completely pointless to have a Death Match system in this game.

Edited by xovian

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles

Problems:

1. Divisions... defeats the purpose of free-for-all, and creates a team of 2-3 ships.
2. Solo Carriers (not in a division)... They'll be the first to die, because of the number of enemies.

Fixes:

1. Divisions are not allowed
2. Carriers are at a "your own risk"
3. Not part of the "Random" game-mode rotation, but instead a separate gamemode (similar to scenario/ranked/clan battles), that way only players who actively wants to participate in such a match, will ever get into such a match.

4. Game mode made available at account level 16... because why not?

But there is one problem I haven't touched on yet: Game Balance. Majority of all ships are balanced for 12v12 combat in this game. suddenly throwing in Free-for-all mode, would require complete rebalancing of all ships, to make them viable in solo play... and even then, you'll still likely end up with certain ships being the meta for free-for-all gamemode. However, I do have a fix for this as well... 0 Experience earned, 0 credits earned, free post-battle-service, consumables, camouflage, and signals are not spent... similar to training mode. In fact... just make such a gamemode an option for training mode, and training mode only, that way there is a fun little gimmick that'll be nice to fool around in.

But to make it a new battle type when ships are not balanced for solo play, is just a bad idea.

[MEIST]
Members
871 posts
3,059 battles
Just now, xovian said:

Team version of death match already exists. it exists in co-op it exists in random...you kill all the other team the fing game ends. Ergo Team Death Match.

Need me to spell this out further or do you just want to argue now? No one is the #$%#$ stupid.

Why you keep talking about "TEAM" this is not what the topic is about. It is about individuals against every one else. You most be REALLY STUPID!!

[NMKJT]
Members
2,732 posts

Sounds incredibly boring. No strategy or tactics, just random luck where you spawn and if you get focused on early because of that.

If I liked this style I'd be playing PubG

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
5 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Problems:

In fact... just make such a gamemode an option for training mode, and training mode only, that way there is a fun little gimmick that'll be nice to fool around in.

But to make it a new battle type when ships are not balanced for solo play, is just a bad idea.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles
4 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

This

thank you for shortening that in the quote, I really don't know what possessed me to go on such a round-about way of getting to that point of mine.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,577 battles

HOLD ON....     THIS MODE EXISTS RIGHT NOW.....

If you go into Random Battle, with a TIER 1 boat, in low population.......

It's a 1v1 battle.  I've been in 3 of them.

Last man standing -- there you go...  Enjoy!

[WOLF2]
Members
891 posts
7,244 battles

It'd be a hoot in the rubber ducky boats for April Fools.    All the same tier - just different colored duckies.

But it's gimmicky.... it'd wear off pretty quickly.

[TOG]
Members
37 posts
6,981 battles

Per my post, perhaps offering it up in Scenarios would be best for those that want the option of a break from the status quo.

Sometimes a pure fun mode is just what the doctor orders  - laugh a little.

;)

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,035 posts
3,548 battles
6 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

Per my post, perhaps offering it up in Scenarios would be best for those that want the option of a break from the status quo.

;)

which is why I suggested it to be part of training mode. No benefits as a result, strictly there for the fun factor.

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
1 hour ago, BCGrog said:

Hi Folks,

You know how we have Domination, Standard Battle and Epicenter and you never know what mode you will be dropped into.

How much fun would it be for WG to add a new mode just for fun into the rotation - Free for All.

Instead of 24 ships split into two teams of 12, you get 24 ships spawned in a circle around the map and everyone goes at it to last man standing.

Further thoughts:

- Preferably any map because certain ships need island cover and it would be a blast to ambush around islands etc

If they can't make it work in the Random battles rotation, they could put it in Scenarios.

I'm sure I haven't thought up all the issues this would need sussed out but I thought I'd give you some granola to chomp on this morning as I sit in a hotel room waiting to go to a meeting.

Could you imagine sitting in your Bismarck and clicking in to a Free for All with that ship? Fireworks!

Discuss.

So it would be the Bunker Games?

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
15 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

;)

This would be cool as a scenario and would be a change up from scripted scenarios. I suggested the same for 14 bots vs 7. Or 16 vs 8, which ever, but 14 vs 7 fits the scenario format.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,707 posts
8,132 battles
1 hour ago, BCGrog said:

Hi Folks,

Further thoughts:

Discuss.

given how a not insignificant number of players are still loading in 1-3 minutes late every match, this mode would utterly and totally be a no go for a billion trillion reasons. Even if every ship loaded in at the same time like Battle.net WC3, DD torpedoes still have to load, making IJN DDs pretty much defenseless at the start and carriers? LOL, even Kaga would be having a hard time.

[LUCK]
Members
1,309 posts
19,617 battles

The only way this works, as I see it, is no divisions on the Ocean map with the spawn being a giant circle. At the center of the spawn is a very small repair area (just large enough for the largest ship), like in operations. Not randomly assigned in random battle mode but an event mode for couple of hours, like clan battles, with decent rewards.

That would be fun and engaging. Battle Royale mode!

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,264 battles

Definitely something you should be required to actively opt into, but could be fun. As a specific mode, it ought not be too hard to arrange to put destroyers and torpedo-dependent cruisers in with their tubes already full, and battleships with their guns loaded.