You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ghatazhak

Laptop that can run WoWs decently?

30 comments in this topic

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles

I travel a decent amount for work and on occasion I like to play some WoWs or WoT. I currently have a 7-year-old Dell L702X 17.3" laptop that has an i5 and GT555m GPU. Will run anywhere from 5-30 or so fps on low settings. I am looking to possibly upgrade, but am not wanting to spend $1000+ for a gaming laptop as I MAY play 15-20 battles per month on it. I have looked at the AMD A10 and A12 APU's and seems like they MAY do ok, just not sure if it would be an improvement over what I have now. Have also seen some decently priced laptops with the 940mx video card. I do realize I may need to go with a 950/1050 to get some decent. Thank you for your input!

• Wondering if anyone has any experience with the A10 or A12?
  • Experience with the 940? Any good?
  • Any other suggestions?

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

My Acer E17 has a 940mx and it can run WoWs between 45-55 fps depending on the map. I got it for $899 CAD so more or less within your budget.

Edit:

I can run with high-ish settings, with the only settings I really have to keep low being antialiasing.

Edited by warpath_33
  • Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,231 battles

I run a refurb ROG laptop with a 960m and it runs WoWs fine, pretty sure I have high settings, not sure my frame rate on it though, prolly 40 range. The refurb was nice as it was something like 60% off.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,493 battles

If you have access to Costco there is a Dell with 6GB GeForce GTX 1060, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $800.00 USD. I haven't tried it, but I would assume it could run WoW at max everything.

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-Series-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---6GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100397555.html

• Cool 1

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles
Just now, DustRhino said:

If you have access to Costco there is a Dell with 6GB GeForce GTX 1060, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $800.00 USD. I haven't tried it, but I would assume it could run WoW at max everything.

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-Series-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5---6GB-NVIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100397555.html

Looks good, but looking to go with 17.3"

• Cool 1

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles
12 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

My Acer E17 has a 940mx and it can run WoWs between 45-55 fps depending on the map. I got it for $899 CAD so more or less within your budget.

Edit:

I can run with high-ish settings, with the only settings I really have to keep low being antialiasing.

Does it have 2 HDD slots? Also, keyboard backlit? (I use backlit keyboards, not sure if I could go back to unlit!)

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,830 posts
9,581 battles

The i5 with intel graphics that I bought from a guy in the K-Mart parking lot works just fine.

Pretty much anything that has a decent CPU and graphics should do fine. 

The bigger problem will be motel internet. 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles
3 minutes ago, Ghatazhak said:

Looks good, but looking to go with 17.3"

Good ol' Acer E17 is 17.3"...

No SSD though, and the battery life isn't so good from the reviews, but I don't notice since it's almost always plugged in.

1 minute ago, Ghatazhak said:

Does it have 2 HDD slots? Also, keyboard backlit? (I use backlit keyboards, not sure if I could go back to unlit!)

I don't actually know about HDD slots, I'm no computer whiz, but the reviews on Best Buy say there's an easily removable hatch on the bottom. Unfortunately the keyboard isn't backlit. Another issue you should know about the computer is that there's no indicator of whether or not capslock is on, so the only way to check is to type something.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,951 battles

Why do people insist on gaming with laptops? You're paying top dollar for a machine that isn't nearly as capable or robust as an average PC rig. 

• Bad 2

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles
4 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Why do people insist on gaming with laptops? You're paying top dollar for a machine that isn't nearly as capable or robust as an average PC rig. 

Welllll.....as I said in my original post, I travel a decent amount for work.....So, not going to haul my PC around from hotel to hotel. I have a quite capable rig at home (i5-7600K, GTX 1070, 16GB, 480 SSD) so good there.

Edited by Ghatazhak

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

If it's got intel built in video don't get it.

• Cool 1

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

If it's got intel built in video don't get it.

No, not going to go with intel video, will do discrete.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,799 battles

I currently use a Acer Aspire E 15. Model E5-575G-57D4

I can run WoWs on medium to high even over my home wireless.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,245 posts
17,255 battles
16 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

lol... So true... Pretty much keeps me from playing WoWs when I'm on vacation.

12 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Because my desktop is ancient (by PC standards,) but still serviceable. It can do so but it has issues running the game, so I prefer not to use it. Only issue my laptop has is I think the power cable's croaking. (rolled up and unrolled too many times during transport.)

[BIAS]
Members
3,149 posts
9,231 battles
19 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

reading is OP.... Laptops are portable and some of us take our computers elsewhere to game...

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles
24 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Hilton HHonors elite status gets me the good $hit. lol

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,493 battles
24 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Some of us travel for work and are willing to buy computers twice as often for the convenience of taking our gaming rig on the road. 

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

If you have unlimited data you can use your phone for the internet part and then get a speed boost app they cost around $10. The last time I had to do this was about 7 years ago though, so you might want to check into it first. I went from not being able to stream Netflix to having no problems streaming Netflix. Using Phone as modem.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles

There is a really nice Lenovo gaming laptop on sale at Costco right now.  It has 256 SSD + 2T HDD, 1050Ti video, I7 CPU, and nice screen, all for $800US.  I wish it was in Canada.  I would buy it.  However, our Canadian Costco doesn't have it on sale.  Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles

I went with the HP ENVY 17-u163cl 17.3" Laptop Computer Refurbished - Silver; Intel Core i7-7500U Processor 2.70GHz; Microsoft Windows 10 Home; 16GB DDR4 SDRAM; 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive, 940MX. I have a 256SSD I will be swapping the HDD. For $549, should work fine. Have 15 days to return, so will be able to test it out.

[RUSHB]
Members
146 posts
2,234 battles
6 hours ago, Murcc said:

There is a really nice Lenovo gaming laptop on sale at Costco right now.  It has 256 SSD + 2T HDD, 1050Ti video, I7 CPU, and nice screen, all for $800US.  I wish it was in Canada.  I would buy it.  However, our Canadian Costco doesn't have it on sale.  Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

If you were just north of Montana, I would pick one up for you and bring it. Halifax....a little too far!

[BNKR]
Members
710 posts
713 battles

I have a one year old Acer with a 2.0ghz i3, 8GB RAM, and integrated video. I run the game on high with a couple tweaks, and see 30-40 fps. I think I paid $400. You don't need to spend a ton for decent performance. That said, I will be upgrading this summer so I can run max settings all around.