Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
francesabyss

French battleships.

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
182 posts
728 battles

Lost interest rather rapidly they are boring and kinda meh.

Waste of time really.

I thought the lyon might perk my interest but its half the ship of say a texas.

 

Give me the entire french bb tree and i would rather take a warspite.

 

Bored.

Back to french cruisers and my awesome aigle.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
182 posts
728 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Wow! I feel so enlightened.

Thanks for this post!

You are the french tree.

Glad i perked your day up some :D .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
774
[SF-A]
Members
2,897 posts
5,717 battles

They certainly don't bring a new, dramatic thing into the game, but that's just as well. I think a gimmick could have ruined the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
182 posts
728 battles
1 minute ago, pewpewpew42 said:

They certainly don't bring a new, dramatic thing into the game, but that's just as well. I think a gimmick could have ruined the line.

The british bb line was simply insanity in a boat ,game breaking gimmick rubbish.

 

Bin all the free british and french bbs and just have premium as they are proper balanced.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,792
Members
9,980 posts
7 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

The british bb line was simply insanity in a boat ,game breaking gimmick rubbish.

 

Bin all the free british and french bbs and just have premium as they are proper balanced.

:Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,577 posts
10,012 battles

I found the French tier 6 and 7 BBs quite fun. The Lyon is a beast if played properly and is the most fun since I got the King George V.  Perhaps you should invest the time to learn how to play French BBs. You can't play them like U.S Bbs, perhaps that's the problem. 

I think the game needed more variety and the British and French BBs did just that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,928
[HINON]
Supertester
19,240 posts
12,789 battles

After way too many gimmicks and lines based around gimmicks we finally have a well-balanced, capable tech tree. I for one welcome the French battleships and am having quite a lot of fun in Lyon, Richelieu and the beast that is Alsace.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12
[YETI]
Members
105 posts
4,602 battles

The Lyon is a great ship at T7, with 16 guns.   What the 16 guns allows a player with bad aim (like me) to hit dd's, cat's and bb' s it's so forgiving.   

For the Richelieu it's an alternative to the German line IF you want a secondary build (I understand that the armor is not up to German standards) but still an option.   At first I thought the speed boost was a gimmick but I've found it to be useful in really powering through a turn or to stop and back out when you need to retreat in a hurry.   I'm getting used to the 2 turret layout in the front, although they do get knocked out regularly, especially at close range.

The Alsace I've only played it in PT and am looking forward to unlocking it soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,463
[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles
35 minutes ago, Lert said:

After way too many gimmicks and lines based around gimmicks we finally have a well-balanced, capable tech tree. I for one welcome the French battleships and am having quite a lot of fun in Lyon, Richelieu and the beast that is Alsace.

At least someone finally said it. +1

French BB's don't necessarily excel at any one thing like other nations, but that doesn't make them bad or boring.  British cruisers and battleships, while interesting, are incredibly gimmicky.  The last thing we need is to release every new tech tree with a gimmick just for the sake of being unique.  Trying to balance the game around gimmicks is an almost impossible task.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

I think when it's all said and done the summary of the French BB's will be that they are generally underpowered at worst, average at best in the lower tiers and get a boost at T8 and T9(sound familar?). Lyon is also more fun than OP IMO because her 16 guns are an experience no other ship in the game offers. I think Lyon comes out for the worst when you add her terrible accuracy but there are people above who think more guns help with that. I think Lyon is considerably better than the T6 or T5 BB's but T7 is also a really OP tier with really bad MM so there's that.

 

Edited by Aristotle83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
111
[O7]
[O7]
Members
290 posts
12,341 battles

I find the french BBs very fun. They have great pen values, great maneuverability, and the T10 Has better pen than Yamato at short and mid range plus the best secondaries in the game thus far. It is TONS of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,541 battles

I'm having fun with the Lyon. I used Free Xp to get to it, so no experience with the others. Something I have done a few games is fire my front two turrets when they are on target, than firs the back two when they get on. It allows me to fire 8 shells every 15 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
389 posts
11,770 battles
36 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

I find the french BBs very fun. They have great pen values, great maneuverability, and the T10 Has better pen than Yamato at short and mid range plus the best secondaries in the game thus far. It is TONS of fun.

In close to mid range the AP from French BB hit like a freight train even the T8~10 can put out some serious damage, the first time I've encountered the Richelieu in my Yamato he took out 1/3 of my HP in one salvo when I underestimated what they can do.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,549 posts
8,220 battles

Hey

At least they didn't make the French BB's have a 60% HE fire starting chance like another line over its competitors. (sarcastic)  it has a better identity in many ways and more realistic use of AP.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,381
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,885 posts
10,675 battles

Not sure what French BB's the OP is playing but mine are great. I really enjoy the line (T5-T9 - didn't play T3 or T4). I am almost to the T10 and can't wait. Only one I am not crazy about is Richelieu and that is mainly because I don't care for all guns forward ships. IT is still a decent BB. I even bought Gascogne.

WG did a great job with this line. These BB's are what BB's should be unlike the complete CF that is the BRN BB line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
418 posts
6,137 battles

I for one loved every single one of them.

Bretagne is average for tier, but not a bad ship. Normandie makes the Dunkerque look like a joke, as she's equally fast, more maneouverable and with better firepower at the cost of 45mm of belt armor, which is a pretty good trade, so good in fact that I didn't sold her once I got to the Lyon, as I normally do with every line I grind.

Lyon is just an awesome shotgun, she can't do muthing really impressive at longer ranges, but get her into a brawl and she can get 30k salvos without even getting citadels; of course, the ship itself is pretty poorly armored and can take the same amount of damage if it shows her broadside at the wrong moment; thanks to the fun factor she can bring, I also kept her in my port.

Richelieu was a ship that I liked when I started playing it, but by the time I was done grinding for the Alsace, I straight up loved her, as her Dunkerque playstyle differs a lot from her tier 6 little sister in the fact that it actually works, meaning you can bow tank any AP that isn't 460mm and hold areas pretty well thanks to that, while at the same time have the capacity to quickly adapt to any changes you may have to make in your positioning thanks to the speed boost, and the secondaries are pretty useful in a brawl even without a focused build, although the same can't be said about her belt armor, as you can het demolished with ease if you show your broadside; but overall it is also a keeper, especially with that beautiful camo from the campaign.

Alsace I haven't got the credits to buy yet, but if it's anything like it was in the PTS when I tested her, it's definitely gonna be a keeper. I'm still unsure about the République's armor, as it might be currently bugged, but none of the previous BBs in this line felt weak despite having weak armor, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt once I get her.

I honestly think this is one of the best lines they've added, simply by lack of gimmicks, which is more than I can say about the British, whose BBs playstyle was so boring I didn't even got to tier 6, and that's just because they gave the tier 5 for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[-Z-]
Alpha Tester
85 posts
1,401 battles

I'm up to the Normandie now starting with the Bert from one of the box missions and not sure how to feel yet. Bert was a bad ship, straight up. Its AP was sub par and its accuracy terrible. That being said I had one game where it behaved like a normal ship and became my top damage game of all time in it which was also weird (155k~). Normandie tho... my friends told me this was a much better ship but I don't know if I can believe it. It actually has speed which is great but its accuracy is infuriatingly bad again or at least feels like it. Being < 8km out from something and missing 95% of shells is not something I want to experience in any ships, let alone BBs.  I'm hoping the Lyon is better with its 16 guns but going by the posts in this topic its accuracy seems just as bad, but at least it has more guns so that's something. I'm gonna be on this line for awhile cause I'm trying to do the event and it would be crazy not to do the ribbon stage with a frenchie so

Speaking of, how is the campaign camo on the rich? I don't have a dunk to see if it provides any bonuses on that, was curious if the Gold camo gave the rich any bonus exp or credits or anything

 

TsUttqO.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
83
[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Seems we go though this with every new line. First, anticipation and people can't wait. Then people get the ships and those who can't figure out the proper play of the boat in the game [edited] that they are no good and those, that get creamed by those who do use the ship well claim OP and cheat. Finally a large number of players use the ship and figure it out. Then we are periodically "treated" to rants about OP or broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles

For the record, the Richelieu is an awesome ship. Powerful guns, despite being 15s, decent enough armor to handle a brawl, very good secondaries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
311 posts
2,336 battles
On 3/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Lunarhawk said:

I'm up to the Normandie now starting with the Bert from one of the box missions and not sure how to feel yet. Bert was a bad ship, straight up. Its AP was sub par and its accuracy terrible. That being said I had one game where it behaved like a normal ship and became my top damage game of all time in it which was also weird (155k~). Normandie tho... my friends told me this was a much better ship but I don't know if I can believe it. It actually has speed which is great but its accuracy is infuriatingly bad again or at least feels like it. Being < 8km out from something and missing 95% of shells is not something I want to experience in any ships, let alone BBs.  I'm hoping the Lyon is better with its 16 guns but going by the posts in this topic its accuracy seems just as bad, but at least it has more guns so that's something. I'm gonna be on this line for awhile cause I'm trying to do the event and it would be crazy not to do the ribbon stage with a frenchie so

Speaking of, how is the campaign camo on the rich? I don't have a dunk to see if it provides any bonuses on that, was curious if the Gold camo gave the rich any bonus exp or credits or anything

 

TsUttqO.png

 

So what you're saying is, its a battleship with battleship accuracy?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
122
[DAKI]
Members
629 posts
6,442 battles

the pen is quite crazy...i laughed when i took off 30k off of a poor colorado in richelieu but they seem quite rng dependent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[-TNT-]
Members
225 posts
4,863 battles

I purchased the Gascogne too. Put in Jean-Jacques Honore and it's awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×