You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArgosRising

To Aigle's credit...

31 comments in this topic

Members
242 posts
655 battles

I do have to say that while I hate Aigle's gun angles that make you broadside to do much damage with them (and same with torping) the speed boost consumable is much appreciated. I can't count the number of times I popped it, smoked up and fired off a few rounds. Then after a few seconds jump forward with the really quick speed boost to another spot, fire off some more, rinse and repeat. It makes it really easy to dodge torps from one or even two DDs going after you in the smoke, allows you to get some damage off without fearing imminent death and allows you to quickly get out of dodge when things go south. 

While the Aigle may be a slow and fat boat with awful angles, I can't say that I haven't had a blast playing her as a gunboat since I got her. 

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Those torp angles have caused me much salt. Trying to get those launched has caused my demise more than anything else in Aigle. 

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
5 minutes ago, ArgosRising said:

I do have to say that while I hate Aigle's gun angles that make you broadside to do much damage with them (and same with torping) the speed boost consumable is much appreciated. I can't count the number of times I popped it, smoked up and fired off a few rounds. Then after a few seconds jump forward with the really quick speed boost to another spot, fire off some more, rinse and repeat. It makes it really easy to dodge torps from one or even two DDs going after you in the smoke, allows you to get some damage off without fearing imminent death and allows you to quickly get out of dodge when things go south. 

While the Aigle may be a slow and fat boat with awful angles, I can't say that I haven't had a blast playing her as a gunboat since I got her. 

I'm still learning smoke shooting, so I'll have to try smoke and then hit speed boost while in the smoke.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm still learning smoke shooting, so I'll have to try smoke and then hit speed boost while in the smoke.

You have to look at it from PvE and PvP perspectives. Much much easier to smoke fire with this ship in PvE. It has good acceleration from stopped/slow with or without speed boost. I can smoke in PvE and still have many visible targets. If I smoke and hide in PvP, I lose a lot of targets because I was the one spotting them. 

[PVE]
Members
9,798 posts
7,485 battles
2 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

You have to look at it from PvE and PvP perspectives. Much much easier to smoke fire with this ship in PvE. It has good acceleration from stopped/slow with or without speed boost. I can smoke in PvE and still have many visible targets. If I smoke and hide in PvP, I lose a lot of targets because I was the one spotting them. 

Yeah, I've noticed that in PvP. I'm still learning to play PvP more tactically. PvE is fun, but PvP is more challenging as people are not as predictable as bots.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yeah, I've noticed that in PvP. I'm still learning to play PvP more tactically. PvE is fun, but PvP is more challenging as people are not as predictable as bots.

Exactly...my best Aigle battles in PvP are when I skirt my detection range and solely act as a spotter for a good bit at the beginning. I get the guns and/or torps involved once both teams are occupied and engaged. I try to stay forward while armaments are quiet and get some cheeky shots/launches in if my cover is blown while I'm skirting detection. I have it spec'ed for as much concealment as I can manage  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,461 posts
11,780 battles

I play her like a khabba.

Members
242 posts
655 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

I play her like a khabba.

When you have other ships to distract for you, I do feel like this can work decently.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,998 battles

I very rarely use torpedoes in the Aigle. I find it plays a lot like a Russian cruiser in the way it moves and its torpedo use (torpedoes are for last gasp self preservation) with US cruiser arcs.

Long range is no good, as with US cruisers, and up close is equally bad unless you're chasing down a DD. There's a sweet spot to be found with your range in this thing.

I use Aigle as a DD supporter and DD hunter. Speed and deep HP pool make it ideal for chasing and eliminating enemy DDs. Rarely cap: use my guns to bully red DDs off the cap while stealthier teammates turn it green. Smoke firing vs. BBs yields rewards too. Fun little boat.

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
45 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Those torp angles have caused me much salt. Trying to get those launched has caused my demise more than anything else in Aigle. 

100x better than gallant.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles

Gotta play her like khaba or gremy or kiev or leningrad.

aigle is basically russian gunbote with bad arcs

Edited by JessieTheKitty

Members
242 posts
655 battles
4 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Gotta play her like khaba or gremy or kiev or leningrad.

aigle is basically russian gunbote with bad arcs

And pretty slow when you aren't using boost.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

I haven't been particularly impressed by the ones I have seen. They seem big and very easy to shoot for a destroyer.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, ArgosRising said:

And pretty slow when you aren't using boost.

No? It can go 37/38 i belive without speed boost. Its a fast boat lol only 2k ts slower then gnevy which is basically gremy

Members
242 posts
655 battles
2 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

No? It can go 37/38 i belive without speed boost. Its a fast boat lol only 2k ts slower then gnevy which is basically gremy

Yeah I'll have to concede there, you're right. At tier she's right about average. I guess I am used to other tiers. She does have at worst comparable speed for her tier. 

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles

Yeah I'll have to concede there, you're right. At tier she's right about average. I guess I am used to other tiers. She does have at worst comparable speed for her tier. 

But its the second fastest boat behind gnevy without speed voist and fastest boat with speed boost?

it beats fujin, Anshan, gallant, farragut, mogahan,fubuki, hatshayru, gaede, t-61, gnevy

i mean its above average speed for her tier by about 2-3 knts at least

[TURDS]
Members
587 posts
3,968 battles
56 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

So, decent weapons with bad angles?

51 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

^Hmm. Think BullpupWOT nailed when he essentially said that bots are better at spotting for others. Probably because they have a less optimized self preservation Al Gore Rhythm.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
7 minutes ago, Curly__san said:

So, decent weapons with bad angles?

^Hmm. Think BullpupWOT nailed when he essentially said that bots are better at spotting for others. Probably because they have a less optimized self preservation Al Gore Rhythm.

You know...I'm not advanced enough in my understanding/development of the game yet to evaluate Gun angles. The torp angles are very bad (I do notice that).  My issue with the guns are the shell arcs and flight time. Do they hit hard? Yes. Are they great when they hit opposing DDs? Yes. Is it hard to hit DDs with molasses for shell flight? Damn right! 

[USCC2]
Members
3,587 posts
1 hour ago, ArgosRising said:

It's quite a powerful gunboat with the guns, fire chance and HP, so I guess WG try to balance that with the poor targeting angles. I'd prefer they do that and look to improve them later if needed (when WG looks at the stats) - rather than end up making some stupid 'global change' in game just to try and nerf them another way (because we don't nerf premiums); that just ends up screwing more ships than just the ones you are trying to change. :Smile_honoring:

Members
242 posts
655 battles
37 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

But its the second fastest boat behind gnevy without speed voist and fastest boat with speed boost?

it beats fujin, Anshan, gallant, farragut, mogahan,fubuki, hatshayru, gaede, t-61, gnevy

i mean its above average speed for her tier by about 2-3 knts at least

Aigle has 36 knts base speed with no boost.

Ships faster than Aigle at base: Hatsuharu (36.5knts), Farragut (36.5knts), Monaghan (36.5knts), Gnevny (38knts), Fushun (38knts), Anshan (38knts), 

Ships slower than Aigle at base: Fubuki (35knts), 

Ships equal to Aigle at base: Ernst Gaede, Gallant. 

Therefore there is only a single ship slower than Aigle at her base speed (unless you are counting T-61 which no one has yet.) 

Two ships at the same speed.

And 6 ships with a faster base speed than Aigle. 

I am not sure why you are being so contrary about this when I admitted I was wrong in the first place (seems like I wasn't anyway), but here are some numbers for you.

Edited by ArgosRising
Got my faster/slower backwards

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles

Aigle has 36 knts base speed with no boost.

Ships faster than Aigle at base: Hatsuharu (36.5knts), Farragut (36.5knts), Monaghan (36.5knts), Gnevny (38knts), Fushun (38knts), Anshan (38knts), 

Ships slower than Aigle at base: Fubuki (35knts), 

Ships equal to Aigle at base: Ernst Gaede, Gallant. 

Therefore there is only a single ship slower than Aigle at her base speed (unless you are counting T-61 which no one has yet.) 

Two ships at the same speed.

And 6 ships with a faster base speed than Aigle. 

I am not sure why you are being so contrary about this when I admitted I was wrong in the first place (seems like I wasn't anyway), but here are some numbers for you.

Hmm gotta update my stats then since fushun/anshan reads 36 and aigle is at 37.5

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,998 battles

I'm chuckling a bit at the notion that Aigle is anything at all comparable to a Soviet DD. It just isn't, in any way.

Aigle is not fast. It's actually a touch on the slow side. Soviet DDs are fast, all the time. Aigle needs speedboost, and then she touches mach 2, but to call this boat fast is nuts.

Aigle is not overly agile. Soviet DDs are.

Aigle is not small. Soviet DDs are (until they become mini cruisers at late tiers). Aigle is quite easy to hit. Gnevny is not. Lenningrad? Forget even trying.

Aigle has poor shell arcs. Soviet DDs have laser beam arcs. Aigle is ineffective at range, Soviet DDs excel at range. That's their jam. It's pretty much what they do. Aigle doesn't do that. At all. So the comparison really dies there. But, wait, there's more!

Aigle has slow torpedoes. Soviet DDs have fast torpedoes.

Aigle has poor firing angles. Soviet DDs have stellar angles. It allows them to kite and turn while still engaging targets. Try that with Aigle during speedboost. Have fun.

I just don't get why so many players are trying to compare Aigle to anything, much less Soviet destroyers. It's just Aigle. For the sake of giving players without any familiarity an idea of how she plays, I understand the need for a reference point. Soviet DDs are not that reference point. A really fast USN/Soviet cruiser hybrid is the best I can offer: she handles more like a Soviet cruiser. So, like I've already said, it's like a fast Soviet cruiser with USN cruiser-ish guns. The shell arc is very Cleveland-esque, the handling and speed are very Kirov-y.

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,129 battles
5 minutes ago, legozer said:

I'm chuckling a bit at the notion that Aigle is anything at all comparable to a Soviet DD. It just isn't, in any way.

I just don't get why so many players are trying to compare Aigle to anything, much less Soviet destroyers. It's just Aigle. For the sake of giving players without any familiarity an idea of how she plays, I understand the need for a reference point. Soviet DDs are not that reference point. A really fast USN/Soviet cruiser hybrid is the best I can offer: she handles more like a Soviet cruiser. So, like I've already said, it's like a fast Soviet cruiser with USN cruiser-ish guns. The shell arc is very Cleveland-esque, the handling and speed are very Kirov-y.

I have to agree with this.  Aigle definitely behaves differently than most Russian DDs.

As for being considered a gunboat by many, I'll politely disagree and call her more of a 60/40 hybrid.  Her torps, while not of the best range or speed, are very strong.  Best used when someone rushes your smoke or if you are kiting away and baiting someone.  They are devastating when they hit.

Her guns have great alpha damage and fire chance, but like most DDs, you have to be smart to know when to use them effectively.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
15,017 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Aigle is not fast. It's actually a touch on the slow side. Soviet DDs are fast, all the time. Aigle needs speedboost, and then she touches mach 2, but to call this boat fast is nuts.

Aigle is not overly agile. Soviet DDs are.

Aigle is not small. Soviet DDs are (until they become mini cruisers at late tiers). Aigle is quite easy to hit. Gnevny is not. Lenningrad? Forget even trying.

Aigle has poor shell arcs. Soviet DDs have laser beam arcs. Aigle is ineffective at range, Soviet DDs excel at range. That's their jam. It's pretty much what they do. Aigle doesn't do that. At all. So the comparison really dies there. But, wait, there's more!

Aigle has slow torpedoes. Soviet DDs have fast torpedoes.

Aigle has poor firing angles. Soviet DDs have stellar angles. It allows them to kite and turn while still engaging targets. Try that with Aigle during speedboost. Have fun.

Depends on your Captain skills set up. I use Honore's EM and AR skills. Then I place SE. That raises your health pool to 19.1k  Add BFT , PT and CE.Then place an Engine boost mod1, if you have it to increase the duration.  Turret rotation is meh after the buffing but she can spit out lead.

What you get at the end is a French mini Khab at T6. Tanky has hell.  Yes, the arcs are floaty if you go AFT, but within 12.1 km she can spit out lead. I found out I can duel a Maas (B) and kill it.

Torpedoes are Benson sea mines. Slow and easily seen, bur when they hit, they hit 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,238 posts

For coop and a 11 point (10 used) captain - I have found PT (critical), AR, SI, and CE.  For the next 9 points I really want 10 points - AFT, BFT, and TA, but since I've got 9 more to choose with I'd go EM (slow slow turrets), AFT, and BFT to be greedy.