You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

What mods do you use and why?

82 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles

So after having some fun with this thread yesterday:

there were a few people looking for information of helpful mods, so decided to make a serious (well, as serious as I can be) thread where those of us that use mods can describe what mods we use and why.

A couple disclaimers here. Use mods at your own risk, I strongly suggest using mods included in modpacks from trusted providers so that you don't get yourself in trouble with accidentally having an illegal mod installed on your game. I know Aslains keeps his modpack updated according to the rules and whats banned, that's what I use. If you want the most security, go with WG's official modpack that they compile as they say right on their mod rules that if its included in their pack, it's ok to use.

Here are the rules for mods: 

Here is WG's modpack:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/256-official-wargaming-modifications/

Here is Aslain's:

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0721-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview/

Now here is what I use for mods. I use anything that I find to be helpful to me. I don't usually use too much that is just graphical in nature. I try to cut back on the number of mods I use to limit the amount of glitches I may run into, so that's why graphical only mods are out for me:

1. Navigator mod with smoke counter. This shows the angle of the ship you are aimed at and your angle to it. This gives me about a split second faster information than if I figured it out roughly using the minimap or just guessing visually. Allows me to make a bit quicker and a bit more accurate shots at long range on broadside targets if I know they are coming toward me slightly or going away slightly. I prefer the mod's smoke counter to the game's smoke counter as it tells me a little more information on your smoke screen. That being said I still leave the game's counter on because it shows the time on other people's smoke screen and is helpful immediately after a patch.

2. X on the mini map (don't know its real name, its on one of the mini map mods). Extremely useful in cyclones, not so much on smoke screens, but its ok on them. It allows you to see exactly where your crosshairs are pointed on the minimap. So in cyclones, where your team has an enemy ship spotted, you have a better chance of hitting them as you aren't completely guessing where you are shooting. I believe the mod should be banned, but if it isn't, I will continue to use it, because if it is being used against me, I want to be able to use it back.

3. Gold premium consumable icons. I use this mod as it visually distinguishes premium consumables from the normal ones and is easier for me to tell whether I have them activated on my ships when I am in port.

4. Historical flags mods. One of the only graphical mods I use from time to time, I like historical and prefer the historical flags.

5. Badobeast side panels. I use this mod as it shows me the ship health of ships on your team and the enemy team on the sidebars. I prefer to be able to see this info at a glance rather than look around at all the ships. Super helpful to know what ships are getting low and which are not on either team.

6. I use extended tech tree from time to time. It shows every ship in the game files on the tech tree. Nice to see ships that are in testing and premium ships that you own that don't show up currently, and premium ships that you don't own that don't show up currently. I stopped using this one as I started having some port UI issues and narrowed it down to this mod a few months ago. Haven't tried it the last couple patches.

7. I use one of the alterntive mods for spotted icons. The one I use has brighter and bigger icons, so that I don't overlook them.

There are a couple other minor mods I use from time to time, but can't remember any more of them.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,649 posts
13,668 battles

I've tried aslan's mods from time to time but for the most part I'm just vanilla

I've got so many games now it's just easy to see the game flow and know what to do without mods, and I hate loading new mods every update

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,046 posts

No mods. As a tester I have been more interested in the ship than the mods.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,281 posts
12,830 battles
3 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

No mods. As a tester I have been more interested in the ship than the mods.

^

[MIA-A]
Members
2,148 posts
6,836 battles

The only mod I use is my aimbot brain mod.

You can buy it for four easy payments of $99 and shipping is free!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

The only mod I use is my aimbot brain mod.

You can buy it for four easy payments of $99 and shipping is free!

If we buy it from you, then what will you use?

Shipping is free because, why? Sounds suspiciously like a scam and doesn't exist.

• Funny 2

Members
100 posts
348 battles

I use Aslain's modpack for a few items.

1. Compressed graphics 25%. I use this on my aging laptop so I can get something related to good fps. It makes the game look like it was made in 2005, but gotta do what you gotta do.

2. Port mods like

alterbate carosuel - shows me what modules, consumables, flags, and camo equipped at a glance from the main port screen.

alternate tech tree - shows every single premium ship even those not for sale. I use this to give me the stats on ships I do not have so I know how to beat them in battle, or at least what to expect from them when they are shooting at me.

and session stats. It adds a area in the notifications tab that shows you data on how you are doing for the day. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Was using historical flags mod until that got lame. Use ribbon mods, and a different smoke timer, gold premium consumable mod (I find it hard to differentiate otherwise). That's pretty much it.

All the other stuff is stock UI, too many patches to keep up with it normally.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,726 posts
9,120 battles

MajorRenegade's icons.

Hakabase side panel.

Clan icons.

BADoBEST over target markers with HP & nick.

Trap sense.

Historical proportions flags with the IJN flag

Taiwan flag instead of the Pan Asian mostrosity.

Fire alert, hide the fire around the screen, I know I am freaking burning.

Navigator.

Smoke counter because I can put it in a better location.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,321 battles

I've run the WG-provided mod pack from time to time - mostly graphical enhancements, or tracer colors, etc.     However, I've stopped, since every update kills the mods.   Come up with a way to keep the mods without having to reinstall each patch, and I may keep them.

I moved back to vanilla.

My opinion on the matter is that if a player wants to use them, they should be able to use them.  Especially if WG publishes them.   I think it's great when the player base can create content (ship skins, flags, horn sounds, (how about MAPS?)), and WG incorporates the popular ones into their own mod packs. 

Beta Testers
1,839 posts
10,762 battles

Chat with ship names. This should be in the game by default.

Anything to get rid of the PC flags and insignias.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
153 posts
6,130 battles

In battle, I have:

Autospy player panels (to be able to match ship type/name to person name and to list torp, radar, and hydo range. To help me to not have to always look it up)

Chat mod (to list ship name with person name, easier for me to find a ship than a person's name on the map)

I have a few in port mods as well.

[5D4]
Members
2 posts
1,508 battles

Aslains mod pack without a doubt here. Love the eye of Sauron reticle.

[PSP]
Members
6,353 posts
8,977 battles

After downloading Aslan's once and filling my computer full of malware from his site I eschewed any further mods that I didn't perform myself. The only things I've done are enable replays, remove the ARP and Seagal voices, and rename commanders.

I do like the matchmaking monitor, which is not a mod but a standalone data miner. It really helps when gathering data to do things like debunk the notion that the matchmaker is biased.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Bad 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles
4 minutes ago, chewonit said:

Chat with ship names. This should be in the game by default.

Oh, forgot about that one!! Very helpful!

[ARGSY]
Members
1,302 posts
9,016 battles

I've never used mods until a couple of days ago, when I downloaded Aslain's mod pack. Tried a few out, mostly out of curiosity, and found them distracting or of no use, save for the mod that gives a wider zoom out. I've played so many vanilla games, that I guess I'm just really used to the way the game looks sans modification. I hate side panels, too...don't know how so many of you float about with all that useless info cluttering your screen...

[-K-]
Beta Testers
189 posts
3,944 battles

I use a mod that centers my ribbons and one that displays the hp bars of my team mates and the reds on either side of the UI with the player/ship names. I just prefer the ribbons in the center, and the health bars make it easier to keep track of my team mates/reds health pools.

[PVE]
Members
9,946 posts
7,492 battles
16 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

No mods, vanilla all the way.

7 minutes ago, SwirvinBirds said:

No mods.

Same here. I don't feel like dealing with updating every patch. I don't want to get hit with a false positive for banned mods. Just play the way Fishy intended. :)

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,159 posts
9,306 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

I've never used mods until a couple of days ago, when I downloaded Aslain's mod pack. Tried a few out, mostly out of curiosity, and found them distracting or of no use, save for the mod that gives a wider zoom out. I've played so many vanilla games, that I guess I'm just really used to the way the game looks sans modification. I hate side panels, too...don't know how so many of you float about with all that useless info cluttering your screen...

I agree, I would prefer less clutter on my screen if it is useless info. Sidebars without the hp bar on it, is useless to me. Similar to if the minimap didn't show ships on it, it would be useless to me.

• Boring 1

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,376 posts
8,562 battles

Vanilla for me.

Only mod i ever put on is extended tech Tree once.

• Boring 1

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,442 battles

I only run vanilla.  I used to run a few graphic enhancement mods, and only really ran the ones with different ribbon graphics for any length of time (and stopped because every few matches I'd get stuck trying to load and have to hard restart the client).  I did try the one that shows a ship's relative angle to you for a while, but I'm a pretty good shot already and it didn't help me enough to warrant having it.  I honestly found that it made my aim and overall awareness worse because I spent too much time trying to pay attention to that.  If I'm gonna git gud, I'd prefer to do it on my own abilities.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Boring 1