You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Silvin

What crosshair do you recommend?

26 comments in this topic

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
177 posts
7,782 battles

I am using the static crosshair type 7 because I like the spiderweb for shots on ships that are angled. However, I can't figure out the measurements on the crosshairs. I thought it was the lead shot for a target moving at 30 knots but it seems way off.

Do you know what the measurements are for?

Is there a crosshair that gives the lead indication for targets moving at 30 knots perpendicular to you and still have the spiderweb lines (i.e., slanted lines for ships that are angled)?

Thanks!

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,090 posts
4,164 battles

The measurement for static is leading a target at 20kts, while dynamic is 30kts

[FML]
Members
1,744 posts
10,099 battles
45 minutes ago, Silvin said:

I am using the static crosshair type 7 because I like the spiderweb for shots on ships that are angled. However, I can't figure out the measurements on the crosshairs. I thought it was the lead shot for a target moving at 30 knots but it seems way off.

Do you know what the measurements are for?

Is there a crosshair that gives the lead indication for targets moving at 30 knots perpendicular to you and still have the spiderweb lines (i.e., slanted lines for ships that are angled)?

Thanks!

I use the dynamic all the way. Mother did a youtube video on how to use it properly. 

With practice, you can judge the spider angles by eye. 

[NDA]
Supertester
4,835 posts
13,778 battles

Number 7. But I also use the Alt interface that shows me shell flight time and those numbers help me to lead the target.

:cap_cool:

Edited by RedSeaBear

[SALVO]
Members
17,031 posts
17,629 battles

Another vote for the Dynamic crosshair.  It's VASTLY superior in every way.

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,378 battles

Static is roughly for a USN standard battleship at 20kts, while dynamic is for a similar ship at about 30kts.

I used static for a long time, but dynamic is a lot less cluttered. More valuable than any nifty crosshair, though, is experience. Just keep guessing and checking, and you'll figure out where you should aim for the best results.

[SPTR]
Members
25,746 posts
11,051 battles

Dynamic crosshair, through long ago before I would use the Type 6 static crosshair because less clutter.

Members
3,468 posts
6,156 battles

I find static is best for me at low tiers but dynamic at higher tiers.  It really all depends on you and what you like.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Another vote for dynamic here.  I did use the spiderweb early on, but decided that because target aspects are rarely right on one of the 22.5º vectors, they tended to draw me off more than assist.  I hardly even use the vector any longer anyhow and mostly project down the target's mean water line, adjust for target type (waterline, belt line, superstructure or occasionally turret), shoot, spot, correct.

-R

[SF-E]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
177 posts
7,782 battles

Is there any crosshair that is the best of both worlds: dynamic and with the spiderweb?

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

Not that I'm aware of, though there may be a mod for it.  I'm not certain.

-R

[D-DAY]
[D-DAY]
Members
61 posts
22,770 battles

I prefer the static Type 12 crosshair.  Unlike the other static crosshairs set for 20 knot speeds, the Type 12 is set for 30 knots.  That's the same as the dynamic crosshair.  I also like the subdued yellow color versus the white of the dynamic.  I find the marking quicker to pick up as well.  It has angled lines but not a spider web.  Using the Zeiss Sniper 25 zoom mod with the Type 12 requires some adjustment but I found this easy with some practice.  When fighting DDs or in-close, I simply roll back one notch and have the same situation as the dynamic.  I tried the dynamic several times but found it more difficult to use on ships angling close to me.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles

Just curious, is there any crosshair mod that takes away everything but the aiming point dot?

[KNMSU]
Members
3,365 posts
3,938 battles

I must be the only person who doesn't pay any attention to the crosshair data and just eyeballs shots.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,833 posts
13,050 battles
31 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I must be the only person who doesn't pay any attention to the crosshair data and just eyeballs shots.

I do both; eyeball and look at the data.

Keep in mind that you are essentially (over many games) developing your very own intuitive cross hair "data"  You are internalizing the aiming process.  I suspect a lot of players do this.

I use the dynamic cross hairs.  When I first started, I used the numbers a lot.  But over thousands of games, I internalized the lead/speed data.  So there are many instances where I don't look at numbers at all...just lead and shoot; eyeball shots.  Then there are other times when I look at the numbers to make the shot.  A little bit of both...depending on the situation.   I don't really consciously make the decision.  It's like my subconscious "knows".  When I'm "in the game"..totally absorbed in the engagement....it's instinctive.

[BNKR]
Members
709 posts
709 battles

Sorry for the noob question, but what is the aiming reticle I see Flamu and Notser using? There are no horizontal lines, just a couple brackets and the aim point, along with distance and shell flight time.

360 posts
194 battles

I also use Dynamic, it works best for me at Tier 6 and up due to increased ship speeds. If I played more low tier stuff, I would swap out to a clean, minimal Static. Too much clutter can get distracting.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Nope.

I honestly want nothing but the dot.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
79 posts
8,510 battles
33 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Sorry for the noob question, but what is the aiming reticle I see Flamu and Notser using? There are no horizontal lines, just a couple brackets and the aim point, along with distance and shell flight time.

That is a display issue with replays, they don't draw what crosshair the player was using

[BNKR]
Members
709 posts
709 battles
5 minutes ago, Notser said:

That is a display issue with replays, they don't draw what crosshair the player was using

Very good then. Is it the dynamic crosshair that shows flight time and distance or is that a mod?

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I use Static Type 9 (red), and I don't use the in-game provided numbers, I prefer to eyeball them. Early on I tried using the crosshair provided data, and found it to be inaccurate.

Members
643 posts
4,245 battles
7 minutes ago, Notser said:

I was wondering this myself. I was impressed at how quickly you were snapping shots off without having any markers. Next thing you'll be telling me Santa Claus isn't real and ruin that magic for me as well.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,387 posts
3,875 battles

I also use a static crosshair. A general rule of thumb is that the hashmarks are not knots, but seconds of shell travel. The alternate interface gives you that shell travel variable, and then all you have to do is gauge the ship's speed to put shells where the ship will be after that time has passed.