You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Iowa vs. Yamato

23 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles

I enjoy Binkov's "what if" historical scenarios. Here is one that pertains to WOWS:

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,815 battles

That was actually quite interesting. Is that his normal standard of quality? I'll have to check his other work out.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,922 posts
7,492 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

That was actually quite interesting. Is that his normal standard of quality? I'll have to check his other work out.

I thought it was pretty fair balance between the two ships and the different scenarios.

At the end, he did say that WoWs had 7 million players worldwide in the commercial at the end. I would think that most are in Russia and most are players who signed up, but didn't keep playing.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,276 posts
12,815 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

At the end, he did say that WoWs had 7 million players worldwide in the commercial at the end. I would think that most are in Russia and most are players who signed up, but didn't keep playing.

It was obviously just a sales pitch in regards to WoWS, best to just disregard it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,922 posts
7,492 battles
Just now, Lert said:

It was obviously just a sales pitch in regards to WoWS, best to just disregard it.

Well of course, but I bet they took how many people have tried the game and that is 7 million. Will some come back, maybe a tiny amount, but the vast majority will not I think.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Yes he is a very good commentator and he goes into great depth with his "what if" scenarios.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

He kind of glossed over the issue of a single hit to a rudder or boiler or magazine potentially ending the fight dramatically for either combatant. Binkov is *okay,* but after watching the majority of his vids over the years, I've come to see him as going out of his way to make unequal forces look as if they had near parity for the sake of video elongation.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

So many 'What If' scenarios that would never happen. 

In WW2, every US Battleship captain wanted to take on the Yamato.  Thank goodness political reasoning kept our thousands of sailors safe from reckless slaughter.

The video does not speak of the human losses involved in war.  Fact is that, even in a draw, nobody will come out of that slug-fest uninjured.

How many survivors of the Hood?  Bismarck?  Kirishima?  Yamashiro?  ...  You begin to see the crew of the Arizona had better chances of survival.

Personally, I like the scenario of 'What if Nagumo sailed his carriers into Pearl Harbor and surrendered on Dec 7th?'.. 

It ends with Japan winning the war....   think politics.

[PVE]
Members
9,922 posts
7,492 battles
10 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Personally, I like the scenario of 'What if Nagumo sailed his carriers into Pearl Harbor and surrendered on Dec 7th?'.. 

So, you are saying that Japan surrenders on Dec 7th and keeps the status quo that they had at the time?

I don't think that would work. The US embargoed Japan for the war in China. Japan needed raw materials and they were for the taking in the South Pacific. So I don't think that would have worked as Japan needed those raw materials and the US wasn't selling anymore over the war in China.

[BLHK]
Members
363 posts
3,472 battles
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

So, you are saying that Japan surrenders on Dec 7th and keeps the status quo that they had at the time?

I don't think that would work. The US embargoed Japan for the war in China. Japan needed raw materials and they were for the taking in the South Pacific. So I don't think that would have worked as Japan needed those raw materials and the US wasn't selling anymore over the war in China.

At the time the Japanese were looking for a short war....which they lose honorably...surrender, then reset their diplomatic policies and start repairing their relationships with other nations. 

How realist was that? I dont know. It would all come down to what the Japanese were prepared to give up in China

[PVE]
Members
9,922 posts
7,492 battles
13 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

At the time the Japanese were looking for a short war....which they lose honorably...surrender, then reset their diplomatic policies and start repairing their relationships with other nations. 

How realist was that? I dont know. It would all come down to what the Japanese were prepared to give up in China

As I understood it, the plan was to wipe out the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor and then negotiate a peace from a position of strength. I think the Japanese military did not expect the US to rebuild so fast. But Yamamoto knew which is why he made his 18 months running free comment. 

Members
100 posts
348 battles

I used to enjoy his channel before he started sponsoring horrible mobile games. That is a turn off to me.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

So many 'What If' scenarios that would never happen. 

In WW2, every US Battleship captain wanted to take on the Yamato.  Thank goodness political reasoning kept our thousands of sailors safe from reckless slaughter.

The video does not speak of the human losses involved in war.  Fact is that, even in a draw, nobody will come out of that slug-fest uninjured.

How many survivors of the Hood?  Bismarck?  Kirishima?  Yamashiro?  ...  You begin to see the crew of the Arizona had better chances of survival.

Maybe you should stick to candy crush. Games that involve shooting and violence maybe give you a mental breakdown.

• Bad 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles
16 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

I used to enjoy his channel before he started sponsoring horrible mobile games. That is a turn off to me.

If he doesn’t get sponsors then he’ll be forced to stop creating content. YouTube demonotized a lot of content forcing many creators to pick up sponsors.

Members
100 posts
348 battles
2 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

If he doesn’t get sponsors then he’ll be forced to stop creating content. YouTube demonotized a lot of content forcing many creators to pick up sponsors.

True, but at least find sponsors that are not cash grab mobile publishers that make WG and EA look like kittens!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles
3 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Maybe you should stick to candy crush. Games that involve shooting and violence maybe give you a mental breakdown.

Japan wins the war because in doing that, Nagumo would bring down his own government.

To me, Japan is defined by the whole country, not a few tin-hatted despots with dreams of regional domination.

The US, is so confused and puzzled by this bizarre action that they suddenly conclude that those in Tokyo are not in control of their sanity.

You need to understand that nobody with an actual brain in Japan wanted to attack the US..  It was rationalized by this 'quick war' theory which was posted, but never debated.

If Roosevelt ordered the US Navy to attack the Royal Navy in 1931, what would have happened if the US navy sailed into London and surrendered?

FDR would be out of office in such a scandal..  What??  We were going to attack England??  Are you Stupid??

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,017 posts
9,102 battles
5 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

True, but at least find sponsors that are not cash grab mobile publishers that make WG and EA look like kittens!

I bet you never have had to get sponsors before. Not everybody can get signed by Red Bull or Nike. 

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,632 posts
5,963 battles

Interesting discussion going on here.

I think a key element the "surrender = victory" crowd is missing is that Japan was under an army dictatorship - yes, specifically an army dictatorship.  The IJN had virtually no power in the government, exemplified by the fact they highly opposed going to war in the first place.  If the Navy has that little power, how successful do you imagine a popular uprising would have been?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Japan needed raw materials because of the behavior of it's government.

Like we would see today in North Korea, if their military suddenly said, '$crew this' and surrendered to South Korea....

The reaction would be....   Huh???  Wha???  Little scramble-head runs off to Iran (or whatever country will take him) and hugs all around.

North Korea WINS.

[PVE]
Members
9,922 posts
7,492 battles
18 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Japan needed raw materials because of the behavior of it's government.

Like we would see today in North Korea, if their military suddenly said, '$crew this' and surrendered to South Korea....

The reaction would be....   Huh???  Wha???  Little scramble-head runs off to Iran (or whatever country will take him) and hugs all around.

North Korea WINS.

True, the people of North Korea would win, yes. Makes sense.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,001 posts
5,978 battles

It’s always funny to watch how riled up people get about these videos.

[BLHK]
Members
363 posts
3,472 battles
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

As I understood it, the plan was to wipe out the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor and then negotiate a peace from a position of strength. I think the Japanese military did not expect the US to rebuild so fast. But Yamamoto knew which is why he made his 18 months running free comment. 

Yamamato's observations are well recorded, however in the higher levels of government the outlook was far more gloomy. Here is an extraordinary book written with the aid of surviving Japanese memos etc that paint an interesting picture of Japans situation in the years leading up the Pearl Harbor attack.

https://www.amazon.com/Japan-1941-Countdown-Eri-Hotta/dp/0307739740

Well worth the read for anyone interested in deep diving the Japanese motivations leading up to the war.

[PVE]
Members
9,922 posts
7,492 battles
15 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Yamamato's observations are well recorded, however in the higher levels of government the outlook was far more gloomy. Here is an extraordinary book written with the aid of surviving Japanese memos etc that paint an interesting picture of Japans situation in the years leading up the Pearl Harbor attack.

https://www.amazon.com/Japan-1941-Countdown-Eri-Hotta/dp/0307739740

Well worth the read for anyone interested in deep diving the Japanese motivations leading up to the war.

Our county library system has it, so I ordered it sent to my local library. Thank you as I will check it out. 

• Cool 1