You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Why Do Players Ignore Caps?

82 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

Sometimes you feel you're the only one who can see the map. The enemy has caps, points are adding up, and half your teams fleet is off on some pleasure cruise. Couple of  games today in my T6 ships and T7 and 8 players ignoring the cap to the bitter end.  How do you get that high in the tiers and not know the basics of what wins a game????

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles
Just now, KalishniKat said:

Sometimes you feel you're the only one who can see the map. The enemy has caps, points are adding up, and half your teams fleet is off on some pleasure cruise. Couple of  games today in my T6 ships and T7 and 8 players ignoring the cap to the bitter end.  How do you get that high in the tiers and not know the basics of what wins a game????

Because some players still have the "Kill All. No Cap" Mentality and they disregard the caps as "second rate objectives."

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,048 posts
10,510 battles

You are asking a question you already know the answer to:  They have no clue how to win, so they don't worry about it until it's too late.  Some people have no situational awareness, if you do, it's on you to try and conduct the lemming train towards the needed objectives.  You can easily get a tier 6/7 ship in your first 500 games, and most real comprehension of how this game plays out doesn't come till over 1,000 games minimum.

Fun fact, there are people with over 10,000 games and a sub 45% win rate, actually quite a few, they will never learn how, because it is not a prerequisite for their enjoyment of the game.  Division with better players or learn how to win solo unicum style, just don't count of the average player to be anything better than a bot.

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

because they are there to shoot at boats.

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
9 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

because they are there to shoot at boats.

That’s their fun, so pretty much.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,583 posts

This thread might be going places

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,200 battles

You die you get nothing, this is how the game is designed and this is clearly is how WG intent the games to be played. F the team in the behind sphincter, farming one's own damage is the only way to play this game.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,005 posts
13,742 battles

Because they forgot to pack their Man pants

[USCC2]
Members
3,595 posts
2 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

Not aimed at you Kalishnikat, but this is exactly why I don't understand why DDs are not the most played ships in game! Everybody knows how important it is to obtain the objective and how DDs are so 'influential' in doing so.

There seems to be so many that shout at others to get the cap, but when you look at those people you often find they are off doing their own thing that appears to have no connection with achieving the objective. You are 100% right, every player should be trying to achieve an objective because that wins games and no one should be scared of their pixel ship blowing up. The DD should be the most popular ship in the game as it is the ship that has the best chance of winning the objective and that is what the game is all about; who cares about shooting the enemy in a war game! Capture the objective, don't be a baby cat and stay at the back firing, be the most influential ship in the game! :cap_like:

[VW]
Members
1,949 posts
12,499 battles

Some players don't care about winning, they simply want to shoot things. They also don't care about stats. I know it can be frustrating if you actually do want to win because you understand xp payouts are greater when doing so.

Members
193 posts
15,861 battles

And give the enemy a free super RPF? Giving away position for randos is simply not worth it, I have taken way too much damage by having any expectation of support.

If you want to see teamwork, there is clan battles. Alternatively, div-ing with friends can also help.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

Because green paste tastes better than blue paste.

[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,280 posts
7,325 battles

Weren't you quitting the forums for a long while?

Welcome back kitty!

Meow!

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
4 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

You are asking a question you already know the answer to:  They have no clue how to win, so they don't worry about it until it's too late.  Some people have no situational awareness, if you do, it's on you to try and conduct the lemming train towards the needed objectives.  You can easily get a tier 6/7 ship in your first 500 games, and most real comprehension of how this game plays out doesn't come till over 1,000 games minimum.

Fun fact, there are people with over 10,000 games and a sub 45% win rate, actually quite a few, they will never learn how, because it is not a prerequisite for their enjoyment of the game.  Division with better players or learn how to win solo unicum style, just don't count of the average player to be anything better than a bot.

Biggie, it's not just that some people have no clue how to win.  There are also a group of people who simply do not care about winning.  All they want to do is shoot ships.  Honestly, they drive me nuts.  They're not the worst group of players, but they are annoying.  Often, the excuse cited is that they're just relaxing and don't want to be bothered with taking it too seriously, to which I'd respond that one can play smart, know how to fight your ship intelligently, have situation awareness, etc., etc. and overall try to win, without giving into being a hardcore, rah-rah, victory or death (Ok, going overboard) kind of player.  I see no reason whatsoever that a casual player can't also play to win.  And I find their "I'm just relaxing" excuse to be just that ... an excuse for their laziness and lack of desire to play to win.  The only good thing I can think of to say about the "I want to shoot ships" types is that at least what they want to do can be leveraged by the team, as long as there aren't too many of them.

OTOH, I think you're being a bit harsh on the "average player".  Saying to not count on the average player to be better than a bot is going overboard in my book.

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles
7 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Not aimed at you Kalishnikat, but this is exactly why I don't understand why DDs are not the most played ships in game! Everybody knows how important it is to obtain the objective and how DDs are so 'influential' in doing so.

There seems to be so many that shout at others to get the cap, but when you look at those people you often find they are off doing their own thing that appears to have no connection with achieving the objective. You are 100% right, every player should be trying to achieve an objective because that wins games and no one should be scared of their pixel ship blowing up. The DD should be the most popular ship in the game as it is the ship that has the best chance of winning the objective and that is what the game is all about; who cares about shooting the enemy in a war game! Capture the objective, don't be a baby cat and stay at the back firing, be the most influential ship in the game! :cap_like:

Got a cap by myself in a QE, so although I'm a BB main, I still understand the need for getting caps. As to damage farming, many players who ignore the cap also seem shy to do battle, fearing a paint scratch I guess.

• Cool 1

Members
242 posts
655 battles
11 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

I struggle with this too. Even when you say "Hey we need to cap this other point or we will lose" often people just hide outside the cap or go to the edge of the map brawling, time ends, and we lose purely on those points. It is very frustrating. Also as a DD player, there are times where no one touches any cap circle but me. There was one game me and another DD both capped a circle, he had A, I had B. Then everyone huddled at A and I was alone at B. I had asked multiple times for support and only 1 cruiser came. I survived 8 minutes alone on the cap, but needless to say they all bullrushed B at the same time, I couldn't escape and we just lost. I don't get why people don't want to win. Is it just that they are all super selfish and only care about their damage numbers or number of kills and don't want to die? 

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Why do derps charge the caps too early and suicide themselves to radar ships they never bothered to first locate prior to contesting caps, then turn around and blame the team? 

Why do derps not realize what unicums know: that every cap is designed to be a strategic disadvantage, a vulnerable spot to be in often surrounded by islands causing you to have limited outs. Therefore, it is better in the first quarter of the match to position your team around the Caps and let the enemy go in and shoot them like fish in a barrel. THEN after being up by 2-3 ships, go in and not only take the cap but have the superior force count to KEEP the cap. 

Equilibrium folks. If you're too aggressive it's bad and your stats will show it. If you're too passive it's bad and your stats will show it. Intelligent players know that staying in the pocket between the two is where it's at so aggressively contesting caps too early is just as bad as not contesting them the whole game.

In random battles, unless you say you're going to hard charge a cap and you get verbal confirmation from players you have already verified are above average (running a stat mod) that they will charge with you (which you never see happening in random), you should be sticking near your team for support and if you're a DD, definitely scouting first until all enemy radar ships and planes are revealed to determine if entering a cap is sensible. 

And non cap contesting DDs like Shimas and Russian DDs suiciding themselves in less than three min, well that's just 100% their fault for not understanding how to play the ship. 

Members
18,339 posts
5,235 battles

How do you get that high in the tiers and not know the basics of what wins a game????

It's one thing to know how to win, another to avoid tunnel vision, and keep your eye on the prize. One is knowledge and experience, one takes constant discipline if it's something that affects you.

Myself, I have issues with it. If I get wrapped up in a heavy engagement, I get focussed on maneuvering, and often end up drifting away from where I want to end up, especially if the opponent is annoying, like an Atlanta who's being slippery. Chain a few of those engagements together, and I end up in the wrong zipcode lol.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,577 battles

They may be more interested less in winning and more into a campaign agenda

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,331 posts
10,540 battles
  1. Throw all the reasons mentioned into a hat.
  2. Dump out the hat.
  3. All the reasons from the hat are you answer.

It's literally as simple and as complicated as everything mentioned here.  Players of drastically varying abilities, interests, concerns and experience.

[USCC2]
Members
3,595 posts
1 hour ago, KalishniKat said:

Got a cap by myself in a QE, so although I'm a BB main, I still understand the need for getting caps. As to damage farming, many players who ignore the cap also seem shy to do battle, fearing a paint scratch I guess.

+1 Exactly! A game objective should be a team objective; where every member of the team should try to achieve it. Nice going! :Smile_honoring: