Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hiddenroomba

How should I play the Gneisenau?

50 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
16 posts
439 battles

this is my first forum post, so I would like to introduce myself (briefly). I began playing two years ago; I received an invite code with the Aurora and the King Albert. I proceeded to play the game for 10 coop battles and uninstalled completely. I got back into the game this January when I got an email from WG giving me a tier 5 premium and a bucketload of goodies asking me to come back. So I got back on, and now I find this game very interesting.

 

So I know I only have 100 something battles, but I fully finished the Bayern grind and bought the Gneisenau. I had enough free xp and a little bit of ship xp to fully upgrade the Gneisenau after three games, but I still don't know how to play it well. Please refrain from telling me I'm a horrible bad noob because I know that lol and I'm just trying to get better.

 

My most noteworthy game was where I was being harassed by two Galissonnieres, so I pushed up, killed both of them with torps, and died of fire.

I find that at range the guns are nigh useless due to obscene sigma (std. deviation) values of the volley, meaning that out of 6 shots, only 2-3 will hit for low damage.

 

Am I supposed to close in and brawl with enemies? Whenever I do that I get set on fire or just obliterated. How do I play this ship?

 

It should be worth pointing out that right after my third game I bought and equipped all packages, so in my first three games I was bare stock. If I could have some help, it woul dbe very appreciated,

Edited by IndKanone
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
348
[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

1. Full secondary build. Do it.

2. Torpedooooooos

3. 25 second reload

4. Long range AA.

 

So yeah, getting stuck up in there and brawling is Gneisenau's thing. Just make sure you still have a bit of support and aren't rushing a bunch of destroyers and you'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,281
[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Yes Gneisenau is a Mid Range to close Range Brawler like pretty much all the German Battleships are to be honest.

Gneisenau does require secondary gun upgrades though to be effective and that includes Basic Fire Training and Advanced Fire Training, But don’t do manual secondary skill since that only is really effective on ships like Bismarck and Gneisenau needs to have secondary guns firing on both sides quite often.

 

Also Welcome to the Forums :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,389
[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yes Gneisenau is a Mid Range to close Range Brawler like pretty much all the German Battleships are to be honest.

Battle that convinced me to keep Gnie was essentially that.

Unspoted north of west cap, standard battle, Neighbors.

Closed in on cap,  keeping one of those two small islands between myself and a near full health NC closing the cap from the south.

Went full speed and jumped out at less than 9k...

...it was all over so fast even I was surprised.

Actually like Gnie more than Scharn; which is actually not a surprise to me.

I tend to suck at ‘good’ ships, (Scharn,) and do well with ‘bad’ ships, (Gnie.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
897
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,652 battles

Well, in theory it's a bit like a CV:

  1. You find the scrub BB who's slow and isolated
  2. Rush him and wreck him with your secondaries and torps

In practice:

  1. You find the scrub BB who's slow and isolated
  2. Your torp launchers get taken out on the way
  3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,389
[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
5 minutes ago, pikohan said:

In practice:

  1. You find the scrub BB who's slow and isolated
  2. Your torp launchers get taken out on the way in.
  3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ESPECIALLY in Co-op! :Smile_izmena:

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
897
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,652 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

ESPECIALLY in Co-op! :Smile_izmena:

Bot guns are like LASERS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,538 battles
54 minutes ago, IndKanone said:

 

My most noteworthy game was where I was being harassed by two Galissonnieres, so I pushed up, killed both of them with torps, and died of fire.

 

 

I see you got the general idea. That's about what happens. You'll fit right in.

Get about as much fire protection as you can and do that to BBs.

Seriously, the guns work also at long range. Individual fire by turret works better than salvos. Do practice your aim.

Edited by NashW8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[FML]
Members
1,785 posts
10,159 battles
1 hour ago, IndKanone said:

this is my first forum post, so I would like to introduce myself (briefly). I began playing two years ago; I received an invite code with the Aurora and the King Albert. I proceeded to play the game for 10 coop battles and uninstalled completely. I got back into the game this January when I got an email from WG giving me a tier 5 premium and a bucketload of goodies asking me to come back. So I got back on, and now I find this game very interesting.

 

So I know I only have 100 something battles, but I fully finished the Bayern grind and bought the Gneisenau. I had enough free xp and a little bit of ship xp to fully upgrade the Gneisenau after three games, but I still don't know how to play it well. Please refrain from telling me I'm a horrible bad noob because I know that lol and I'm just trying to get better.

 

My most noteworthy game was where I was being harassed by two Galissonnieres, so I pushed up, killed both of them with torps, and died of fire.

I find that at range the guns are nigh useless due to obscene sigma (std. deviation) values of the volley, meaning that out of 6 shots, only 2-3 will hit for low damage.

 

Am I supposed to close in and brawl with enemies? Whenever I do that I get set on fire or just obliterated. How do I play this ship?

 

It should be worth pointing out that right after my third game I bought and equipped all packages, so in my first three games I was bare stock. If I could have some help, it woul dbe very appreciated,

I love the Gneisenau, always had fun n with it. At work atm, but will be home in about 4 hours. If you’re still on, happy to division. If not, I’ll write a longer post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
689
[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,119 battles

I have Gneis and Scharn. I find the Scharn is better at close range brawling and the Gneis at medium to long range sniping. I also prefer the Gneis over the Scharn. Go figure. :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
720
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,208 battles
1 hour ago, IndKanone said:

this is my first forum post, so I would like to introduce myself (briefly). I began playing two years ago; I received an invite code with the Aurora and the King Albert. I proceeded to play the game for 10 coop battles and uninstalled completely. I got back into the game this January when I got an email from WG giving me a tier 5 premium and a bucketload of goodies asking me to come back. So I got back on, and now I find this game very interesting.

 

So I know I only have 100 something battles, but I fully finished the Bayern grind and bought the Gneisenau. I had enough free xp and a little bit of ship xp to fully upgrade the Gneisenau after three games, but I still don't know how to play it well. Please refrain from telling me I'm a horrible bad noob because I know that lol and I'm just trying to get better.

 

My most noteworthy game was where I was being harassed by two Galissonnieres, so I pushed up, killed both of them with torps, and died of fire.

I find that at range the guns are nigh useless due to obscene sigma (std. deviation) values of the volley, meaning that out of 6 shots, only 2-3 will hit for low damage.

 

Am I supposed to close in and brawl with enemies? Whenever I do that I get set on fire or just obliterated. How do I play this ship?

 

It should be worth pointing out that right after my third game I bought and equipped all packages, so in my first three games I was bare stock. If I could have some help, it woul dbe very appreciated,

You play it by sniping Notser's Atlanta while he desperately trying to evade your shells. Make sure to shoot so accurately at a dodging, weaving cruiser and make Notser say "omg that guy doesn't miss a shot!" on stream. And also... torps.

 

Play like a normal BB first half, charge in and spray your dung on everything close range later half. Basic german BB play.

Edited by NeutralState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,313 posts
21,160 battles

Pretty much any BB under most circumstances being harassed by cruisers need to close the range ASAP.  Puts the cruiser on the defensive, shorter range for BB means more hits and damage, may even get your 2ndaries going, running cruiser won't be able to get all his guns to bear on you at once.

It just has a cascade effect in your favor as a BB and against the cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

101 battles and already up to the Gneisenau. Slow your roll dude. The tier 7 ships will introduce you to pain and suffering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

Remember "brawling" alone...something you will do often because teams are afraid...gets you killed.  Brawl...but don't brawl too early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[ZR]
Members
961 posts
11,320 battles

Alright so you have 100 battles.  You are extremely new and made it into tier 7 a bit fast.  Granted from how you explained the ship it seems you are picking up the game quite fast however it may be good to play between tier 4 and 5 a bit more before trying to just rush down one line.  Play some other ship lines to get a feel of how other ships play.

Now onto the Gneis.  I really love this ship and have managed to be one of the top 50 NA players in it.  Her guns may be frustrating yes but her overall package of speed, agility, armor, sleek profile, torps, and god tier AA really make it a strong ship for randoms.

I recomend focusing on a AA/survivability build running captain perks like AFT/BFT, manual AA, basics of survivability or fire prevention.  These kinds of things.  

As far as modules grab the dispersion mod for the main battery, ignore secondaries.

Remember your signal flags if you have them.  More AA, greater heal, less fire duration.  Also always remember to run premium consumables for credits not doubloons.

Now you can roll into a game hoping for double carriers.  You want to support an objective early but you still want to fight at mid to long range early.  You may not get good hits, you may delete someone.  Try to focus on angling and dodging incoming fire while balancing how close you are to the enemy so that you can heal most the damage you are taking.  

At the midpoint of a game try to find an objective that your ship will have an advantage pushing.  Push hard but dont just throw the ship away, if the enemy is able to react too easily and you feel its a losing fight just pull out and try another push.

Hopefully it will end with you rolling up to a few enemy battleships and have you driving by with a well timed broadside salvo as you pass them and a rack of torps.

As far as the AA thing, try to put yourself away from your AA cruisers like Atlanta.  Create a bigger no fly zone and entice the carrier to come strike you by looking like you dont have AA cover.  Remember with manual AA to click incoming squads and farm sweet sweet CV tears.

Edited by MountainManxDan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
897
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,652 battles
2 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

101 battles and already up to the Gneisenau. Slow your roll dude. The tier 7 ships will introduce you to pain and suffering.

 

I dunno, I love the T7 BBs. Colo, Scharn, Gneis, Hood, KGV are all amazing, and T7 is one of the few tiers where MM isn't crapping on you every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,497
Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

One minor note to add to the good summary just above.

Never use repair on one fire unless you're absolutely sure nobody else will be shooting you for the next several minutes.  One fire is no problem. Blowing repair on it and getting 4 you have let burn the whole duration is very very bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,827
[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Battle that convinced me to keep Gnie was essentially that.

Unspoted north of west cap, standard battle, Neighbors.

Closed in on cap,  keeping one of those two small islands between myself and a near full health NC closing the cap from the south.

Went full speed and jumped out at less than 9k...

...it was all over so fast even I was surprised.

Actually like Gnie more than Scharn; which is actually not a surprise to me.

I tend to suck at ‘good’ ships, (Scharn,) and do well with ‘bad’ ships, (Gnie.)

Prophet, I really hate to say this, but maybe the problem is that you're not playing the "good" ships right in some way.  There really shouldn't be any particular difference in play style between the Scharn and the Gneisenau, with the only possible exception being that perhaps the Shiney Horse may seem a bit more accurate at range.

Regardless, play the ships that work for you and enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
897
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,254 posts
8,652 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Prophet, I really hate to say this, but maybe the problem is that you're not playing the "good" ships right in some way.  There really shouldn't be any particular difference in play style between the Scharn and the Gneisenau, with the only possible exception being that perhaps the Shiney Horse may seem a bit more accurate at range.

 

I found that a just a little bit of an adjustment in target selection goes a long way between the two. In the Scharn you're aggressively going for DDs and cruisers because your nine barrels of awesome are excellent at dealing with those... My first few games in the Gneis I was trying to do the exact same thing and it just doesn't work. It's not that you shouldn't go for the DDs and cruisers, you just can't do it as aggressively as with the Scharn; while you should look for opportunities to do so, until you can close the distance a little more, you should keep shooting at the BBs further back otherwise you aren't hitting anything and not being all that useful.

In the same nutshell, the current BB-heavy meta is better for the Gneis than the Scharn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,827
[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
15 minutes ago, pikohan said:

 

I dunno, I love the T7 BBs. Colo, Scharn, Gneis, Hood, KGV are all amazing, and T7 is one of the few tiers where MM isn't crapping on you every game.

I'm not sure if the Hood is amazing, but you've left out the Nagato, which is also a fine T7 BB.   You also left out the Nelson and DoY.  I realize that there's not a lot of love for the DoY.  But it doesn't seem all that horrible to me.  Not nearly as good as the KGV.  Sort of a mildly nerfed KGV, which is a real shame, but oh well.  But the Nelson, while slow, can be fun to play with the incredible super-heal and its potent guns.

But I think that my favorite T7 BB has to be the KGV.  While I am decidedly not a fan of the RN BB HE spamming meta, my time in HE spamming cruisers has given me plenty of experience with the HE spamming/kiting meta to take full advantage of the KGV's strengths.  Note that this doesn't mean that I spend the entire battle sniping when I played my KGV.  But i would spend most of the early and mid parts of the battle doing so, because I know how to manage fire starting and restarting to get the best effect out of it.  But I also knew when to switch ammo and when to close the range.

Anyways, I agree that T7 is full of wonderful BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,827
[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
3 minutes ago, pikohan said:

 

I found that a just a little bit of an adjustment in target selection goes a long way between the two. In the Scharn you're aggressively going for DDs and cruisers because your nine barrels of awesome are excellent at dealing with those... My first few games in the Gneis I was trying to do the exact same thing and it just doesn't work. It's not that you shouldn't go for the DDs and cruisers, you just can't do it as aggressively as with the Scharn; while you should look for opportunities to do so, until you can close the distance a little more, you should keep shooting at the BBs further back otherwise you aren't hitting anything and not being all that useful.

In the same nutshell, the current BB-heavy meta is better for the Gneis than the Scharn.

 

That's not a bad summary.  The Scharnhorst plays a bit like a really, really heavy cruiser, while the Gneisenau plays more like a very light BB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,976
[SYN]
Members
14,470 posts
10,488 battles

It's really not that different from other BBs, except you get torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,827
[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
6 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

It's really not that different from other BBs, except you get torps.

One thing that I'd usually suggest is that when you're in a BB with torps, seriously consider not getting into torp range of any enemy BB with torps unless you are VERY, VERY good, because more often than not, you end up with a mutual torpedo massacre.

I prefer going after slower, non torp using BBs if given any choice in the matter, because in those situations, you should have the advantage of dictating range, probably have superior secondaries, and of course, your torps.  Oh, and getting that close only helps your  scatter-brained German main guns' accuracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
194 posts
15,861 battles

You Free Exp it.

Chances are people telling you to secondary build, well it works to an extent, but only against potatoes.

The reality is, 6 guns with bad dispersion = not a threat to anything.

For a comparison, the Lyon has 16 guns, yeah, 16 guns to your 6. Fuso/Arizona/NewMex/Normandie have 12 guns and are a tier lower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×