You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RedGlare007

What would you recommend? Tier 10 BB's decisions

18 comments in this topic

[_MAGA]
Members
1 post
1,282 battles

So i'm thinking of either getting the Yamato or the Conqueror i'm mostly a bb player and i'm torn.  On one hand amazing AP or amazing HE i'll get both eventually but what would you guys recommend and any tips on how to play these ships well or just general things i have to keep in mind?  Thank you for any replies and have fun playing.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,663 battles

Conqueror = Easy

Yamato = For people with good aim

Montana = Versatile; Best at deleting cruisers

GK = Tanky

Republique = Tricky

• Cool 3

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,562 posts

Secondary build Republique is a blast, great for hunting cruisers and destroyers that think they can get a quick snack, then you just do this to them~
comic299.png

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Conqueror is what would happen if you removed citadels from cruisers.

Yamato is the point defense queen of penetration.

Conqueror is by far the easier ship to deal damage with but Yamato gets to be part of the game. Personally I prefer the Yamato because of this. Much less boring.

Over either of those, I'd recommend Montana. It has a mix of my favorite parts from those ships. Both the ability to dish massive punishment with AP and the concealment to exploit that. It has no powerful gimmic to exploit, but you can trust it in more situations than the other tier 10s.

Edited by X15
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,210 posts
8,982 battles

Yamato is good, been loving her since she has the firepower, the armor, and good mobility when you feel you need full speed. And of course Yamato is such a Legendary Ship.

Members
613 posts

Yamato has just been giving me more damn trouble in my Hindenburg then I can handle!!!  Just don't sail it into the Islands and then complain when it goes down like Stormy Daniels when she sees a check....

Yamato 

oh and I already own a Montana...

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Examine the specs of the ships based on what you want out of a tX BB... the Yammy has some pretty big numbers (re:slow) on turret rotations and reloads... plus the grind through the Izumo is utterly maddening. 

I've bought/sold the Izumo FOUR TIMES now. I simply - meaning me - cannot stomach that ship... for me, worst in the game. It's a known "Gate Keeper". 

So if it were me and I didn't have to grind through the Izumo, I'd get the Yammy simply for her guns. But if you're talking grinding to it, I'd go Conk. 

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,562 posts

For your first Tier X BB, probably best to go with Yamato, Izumo is the problem though. Republique via Alsace is probably more fun in the short-term though

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,046 posts
10,456 battles

Montana is the primary pick for Clan Battles, because it can erase cruisers so well.  It brawls pretty well to, something the Yammie is very poor at.  I would go for the Montana first, then the Yamato, then Grosser K, then the Conqueror and finally the Republic.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,617 battles
7 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

For your first Tier X BB, probably best to go with Yamato, Izumo is the problem though. Republique via Alsace is probably more fun in the short-term though

Izumo is actually pretty decent imho. It is a huge let down from Amagi and its playstyle... Is interesting to say the least. You still have to kite taking into consideration your atrocious rudder shift time (It gets better at Hull C at least) and integrate the fact you can bow tank into the equation too. 

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,530 battles

Montana or Yamato 

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,703 posts
3,360 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

Secondary build Republique is a blast, great for hunting cruisers and destroyers that think they can get a quick snack, then you just do this to them~
comic299.png

Hector is best lord.

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
4 hours ago, RedGlare007 said:

So i'm thinking of either getting the Yamato or the Conqueror i'm mostly a bb player and i'm torn.  On one hand amazing AP or amazing HE i'll get both eventually but what would you guys recommend and any tips on how to play these ships well or just general things i have to keep in mind?  Thank you for any replies and have fun playing.

You say you are mostly a BB player.  Which do you play?  To answer you, you have to let us know a little about your style.  Both ships you mentioned are range fighters, so I will assume that you don't like to get in the mix.  If that is your game I would suggest Yam.  If you really want to breathe HE fire just use HE on her.  If you want laser AP run her AP.  Conq has a huge repair thing going for her..so there is that.  Yammy has some blazing seconds that a lot overlook so think about that also.  Conq HE isn't really all that "Amazing"..  it is just that it is what it is only good at.  Yammy HE could rain similar hell and give you a great AP back up if you wanted to switch.  IMHO the Conq shine has worn off and the Yam has been around since the dawn of time and still rules.  Go Yam.  My 2 cents. 

[DAKI]
Members
627 posts
6,413 battles

Montana since its balanced at most things.

Moskva.

All the same [edited] as a bb but without the BB reload.

:3

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Examine the specs of the ships based on what you want out of a tX BB... the Yammy has some pretty big numbers (re:slow) on turret rotations and reloads... plus the grind through the Izumo is utterly maddening. 

I've bought/sold the Izumo FOUR TIMES now. I simply - meaning me - cannot stomach that ship... for me, worst in the game. It's a known "Gate Keeper". 

So if it were me and I didn't have to grind through the Izumo, I'd get the Yammy simply for her guns. But if you're talking grinding to it, I'd go Conk. 

I agree about Izzy.  I ground though that ship to get to Yam and god every game was a chore.  But a lot of T9 ships are like that, just not as bad as Iz.  They make you pay price to get to 10.  In the KM line Bis was boss at 8, but FD sucked at 9.  GK is balls out. 

Izzy does one thing right.  It forces you to learn "bow in", which you need to know when you get to Yam.  There is a method to that madness..   Once you learn it you got it.  IF you don't you will never like her and probably have no business in Yam.

I agree that Izzy is a tough ship to get by, but if you can't learn to at least run her as a tolerable ship then you have no business in Yam.  Yam's guns are great, but if you don't know how to use them you are just a poser that skipped for a T10 ship. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I agree that Izzy is a tough ship to get by, but if you can't learn to at least run her as a tolerable ship then you have no business in Yam.  Yam's guns are great, but if you don't know how to use them you are just a poser that skipped for a T10 ship. 

Agree... I am not particularly fond of the Yammy two step... which is why I do enjoy the GK... it was the best move for me to abandon the Izumo grind... I figure if I ever get a Yammy, it will be the last grind I do in the game. :cap_old:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,849 posts
10,635 battles

I only have Yamato of the 2 and absolutely love it. The guns on Yamato are fantastic. It has good secondary guns too and decent AA. Speed is ok but not blazing or anything. Excellent torpedo protection. 2 big flaws though. 1 is it has a weird octagon citadel that can be easily hit from the front when angled. The 2nd issue is the gun turrets are so slow it is not funny. If you want to turn them 180 degrees you have to start in the game you are in for them to be finished by the time you are done your next game. Yamato is horrible in close if you have to move the guns because they just move so slowly. Best to stand off with Yamato and pound stuff with your accurate and devastating guns. IF you do close think ahead and take a course that keeps your guns on the same side as your target or you are SCREWED!

Can't comment on Conqueror as to how good it is as I am only to Monarch (which sucks!). I will say spamming HE like a Cruiser should be, well, a Cruiser's role not a BB's. I hate how WG did this with the BRN BB's and I hate even more how people with BB's from other nations now think you should shoot HE all the time. I have played against Conqueror however and it's super heal is super annoying . They should have named the ship Lazarus the way it rises from the dead.

FWIW I also have Montana and GK. GK would be good if you like to get in close and brawl with a full secondary build. Montana has amazing guns and AA and is a more well rounded ship. FWIW my T10 BB progression went... Montana, Yamato, GK. I am not very far of Republique now either so will soon have that. Conqueror is a long way off as I just do not like the BRN BB's as a whole and it takes me forever to advance from ship to ship as I don't play them much. KGV is really the only standard tech tree one to this point I have really liked and kept. I do like Warspite and Hood but they don't fall into the gimmicky HE thing and are best served with AP (as all BB should be).

Edited by AdmiralThunder