You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rekkoff

Lyon needs heavy nerfs...

62 comments in this topic

[115TH]
Beta Testers
256 posts

Lyon is just way to powerful... She needs heavy nerfs to bring her in line with her equal tier BB's. She can lol pen any ship from any angle.. Its utterly stupid. Either nerf her armor to much thinner, or nerf her main guns pen. One or the other.

• Bad 18

Members
1,310 posts
21,132 battles

I thought being post 1920 French was nerf enough already.

[RMRGD]
Members
183 posts
16,937 battles

I think she fits in well with her current power levels.    Little White Mouse even said shes overall a good boat.    She has 16 barrels so a full broadside hurts... and well it should.   however she has to be completely broadside to do it.    You pay the price for it often.    Shes a shotgun.   Her shells and sigma fly all over.   They overpenn a lot like most french ships do.   WG is gathering stats on all these ships they will evaluate performance and make changes if its required.  But I personally think she is fine.     If I had to take a powerfull ship I would take a Sharn over the Lyon. 

• Cool 3

Members
100 posts
348 battles

U

6 minutes ago, Rekkoff said:

Lyon is just way to powerful... She needs heavy nerfs to bring her in line with her equal tier BB's. She can lol pen any ship from any angle.. Its utterly stupid. Either nerf her armor to much thinner, or nerf her main guns pen. One or the other.

LOL, can pen anything it meets? Then they are not playing well.

lyon has bad pen values, average accuracy, and overmatches easily.

Also you have to expose the entire broadside to fire all 16 guns

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles

I think it's balanced.

16 guns are crazy, but the accuracy is poor and the armor leaves a lot to be desired.

Lyon also does not get the blistering speed, agility or range of Normandie, so it's a lot more susceptible to getting outshot in its own tier.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,587 posts
3,753 battles

Strong definitely but in need of nerfs? Nahh. Its just that when the RNG blesses you you get some impressive salvos that makes you consider it OP.

[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles
4 minutes ago, Verios44 said:

U

You guys need to get your facts right.

The penetration is pretty good on Normandie and Lyon. It is about 400mm at 12km.

340mm does not overmatch T6+ BB bow armor, only cruiser armor up to T7.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,472 posts
3,405 battles

Paper armor, which needs to be exposed through almost full broadside to fire all 16 guns...

Decent top speed, but turns sort of like a bus.

Turret traverse reminds of IJN ships. Good luck trying to keep the guns on a target while doing any kind of heavy maneuver...

In reality, it actually has a bad accuracy... it's just that throwing 16 shells baguettes at once makes it feel like it has a good accuracy, because at least some will definitely hit.

Decent secondaries and good AA... but it's not like that's exclusive to this ship alone.

Yeah, I think the ship is fine. Its only gimmick is "lol 16 shells baguettes," and if that's gone then it would just be a mediocre ship.

My 2 doubloons.

• Cool 1

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Lyon functions on par with other tier 7 BBs and I wouldn't ever take it over Nagato or KGV in a competitive situation. Or even Colorado for that matter.

It has a lot of guns to make up for how reliably unreliable they are. It is truly a shotgun with a high volume of low impact pellets. And it is terrible at fighting other BBs at tier.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,253 posts

Eh, Lyon is a one trick pony.   WHEN you can use your full broadside vs something squishy- AND RNG isn't pissing in your cornflakes- you can do ridiculous damage.   Those occasions aren't especially common when playing vs enemies whose IQ is above room temperature.   BB's  will ruin your day.  Your low caliber popguns do squat vs anything with decent armor or that's angled.  Plus attempting to take advantage of your turret arrangement leads to being citadelled through the bum.

This is without taking into account the punatively bad turret arcs, and RN BB slow turret traverse.  The arrangement of those turrets sucks rocks, too- you have to show WAY too much broadside to get all or most of your guns to bear.   Heck, getting more than your bow turret on target requires you to show more side than is comfortable- or healthy.

What we have here, is a WW I dreadnought masquerading as a tier 7 battleship.    Somehow, a 1913 design has more modern secondaries and AA than ships born more than a decade later.  (Colorado is ten years newer, and still has casemated secondaries, and crappy, open mount,  all manual dp 5" guns.  Nagato is of a similar vintage, and also has casemated secondaries)

Lyon is fine.

Heck, I just played back to back matches just to compare Lyon to Colorado  (cuz I missed my 'Rado...)  and CO beat the pants off of it.  HUGE difference in damage dealt between the two.   All games featured lots and lots of BB's;  I played both aggressively, and took lots of damage as a result.   CO felt more comfortable, due to it's far better gun handling, and more sensible turret arrangement.   It's armor shrugged off more nasty incoming, and it consistantly did more damage- because it has BB sized 16" guns.   This, despite having HALF the guns Lyon has.    VS BB's, and even well armored cruisers like Eugen/Hipper, Lyon gets lots and lots of shatters, bounces, and zero damage hits.   A frustrating amount of them.

And nobody is shouting for CO nerfs.

Gneisenau and Duke/KGV  are also extremely competetive with Lyon.   I do not have Nagato, and have never played my Scharnhorst, so I cannot compare them.

• Cool 1

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
15 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's a good ship....but OP? Not anywhere near the level of Guilio....:Smile_teethhappy:

Yes that sums it up.

Really enjoying the Lyon and I am using the gift captain Honoré and that definitely improves things re Gunnery Expert and Adrenaline.

[INTEL]
Members
803 posts
8,328 battles

The Lyon is needs it own classification from LWM... MemeBote.

For the past three days I've played the Lyon in Hermes continuously. I've done stuff in it I have never done in any ship ever. Its a laugh every 30 seconds.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,983 posts
7,530 battles

If played well, Lyon is very powerful, IF played well. Most of the base won't, or can't achieve that.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,486 battles
30 minutes ago, X15 said:

Lyon functions on par with other tier 7 BBs and I wouldn't ever take it over Nagato or KGV in a competitive situation. Or even Colorado for that matter.

It has a lot of guns to make up for how reliably unreliable they are. It is truly a shotgun with a high volume of low impact pellets. And it is terrible at fighting other BBs at tier.

Very true.  The large amount of guns keeps it from being awful, but I prefer a little less RNG in my damage dealing.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 hour ago, Rekkoff said:

Lyon is a weak ship, the last thing it needs is nerfs. Slow, thin armor, high citadel, with terrible accuracy and even worse ballistics coefficient.

Edited by Ulthwey

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,011 battles
1 hour ago, Verios44 said:

U

And don’t forget Lyon has rather bad armor as well since I rarely have any trouble sinking high danage shots into Lyon when I see them in battles.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,492 battles

Well, this thing sure seems like death on wheels to cruisers.  So many shells, any one of which can cit you to death.

Edited by kerensky914

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,011 battles
2 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I’d take Lyon over any Tier VII BB except for Scharnhoarce or Hood

Gneisenau slices up Lyon quite nicely as well. Then again so does my Duke of York lol.

[SALTY]
Members
116 posts
4,487 battles

Lyon just left click deletes cruisers. I feel bad for them. It makes a hard life even harder. 

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,378 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Gneisenau slices up Lyon quite nicely as well. Then again so does my Duke of York lol.

With the torps but with any other Tier VII or even VIII BB, I haven't any trouble winning at extreme close range.  It really is that good.

So far I like everything about the new French line of BBs.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,735 posts
8,298 battles

Lyon has garbage accuracy which is compensate by 16 guns. Her armor is also meh, making HE spam a real pain to deal with. You know HE spam ? The thing you complain about ?

Let's not forget her speed is just decent for a T7 BB and her HP is low compared to other BB.

16 guns is "the only" thing interesting on this ship. The rest is ok