You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Your ever changing WTR

26 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,355 battles

Warships today the site most of us go to look at Warships stats has got to be the most inconsistent stats site i have ever seen lol.

Especially when it comes to WTR.

It is like ever so often they tweak something just a little bit that you might not notice unless you have an overall WTR as low as mine.

Today my overall WTR dropped almost 150 points :Smile_amazed: even though I have averaged almost 1250 for for months now.

Who knows maybe tomorrow I will be 200 points more than what i was yesterday :Smile_Default:

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,355 battles
3 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Third World Third Party What do you expect? Einstein?

Why yes I would lol :)

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
15 posts
2,843 battles

My WTR dropped 10 points today for no apparent reason. This was after I had an above average day yesterday. Second time it's happened over the past couple of months.

[CAST]
Members
1,212 posts
7,407 battles

Mine does  this from time to time as well.  It did take a small dip today, even though my short term average is up.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,649 battles

Happens a lot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler

etmk7K1.png

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I just play the game and try my best. Numbers after the fact don't change the battle I just had.

[-TKS-]
Members
305 posts
6,066 battles
2 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

I just play the game and try my best. Numbers after the fact don't change the battle I just had.

i just play the game , sometimes dont even try my best. but i still like keeping track and looking at stats.  if it went down a bunch id be worried.  wish you could customize it though. i like keep track of potential damage / my damage done.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
Just now, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

if it went down a bunch id be worried. 

I would be too.

I kid. There are certainly value in the numbers, but to only play for them seems a bit odd. Players will subject themselves to horrible ships, unfun grinds, ect.. all in the quest for numbers but lose out on the enjoyment in the process. That's where a lot of the salt comes from. I just try and have a fairly chill attitude and it really helps in this game with how it is paced. Get some chill vibes music on, burn some sage, get the loincloth on and get all greased up. You know, man stuff.

Cheers bro! Keep grindin!

[D_DOG]
[D_DOG]
Members
128 posts
8,204 battles

I just try to do my best each game and have fun - I don't worry too much about WTR (obviously!).

Alpha Tester
3,480 posts
1,522 battles
19 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Warships today the site most of us go to look at Warships stats has got to be the most inconsistent stats site i have ever seen lol.

Especially when it comes to WTR.

It is like ever so often they tweak something just a little bit that you might not notice unless you have an overall WTR as low as mine.

Today my overall WTR dropped almost 150 points :Smile_amazed: even though I have averaged almost 1250 for for months now.

Who knows maybe tomorrow I will be 200 points more than what i was yesterday :Smile_Default:

WTR is a total [edited] rating to be honest.  I mean if I look at my account, my average XP per match and average damage per match have continuously climbing at a steady rate which would indicate to me that I am actually improving at the game however my WTR is dropping at almost exactly the same rate as my damage and XP are going up.  That just shows me that there is something totally wonky in the formula. 

[R-F]
Members
782 posts
6,420 battles

WTR.png.2f90f7d5b37e104c647eef8597388d4a.png

Average damage (Yellow graph) is a hard, simple number.  As you would expect after 4,000 battles, it changes very slowly and smoothly because even a great or horrible game can't sway your average that much.

You would expect WTR (Blue graph) to behave the same way, but you can see some weirdness.  I'm especially curious about the dramatic dip and sudden return at around 3,600 battles.  I wonder what the story there is.

[R-F]
Members
782 posts
6,420 battles
11 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

WTR is a total [edited] rating to be honest.  I mean if I look at my account, my average XP per match and average damage per match have continuously climbing at a steady rate which would indicate to me that I am actually improving at the game however my WTR is dropping at almost exactly the same rate as my damage and XP are going up.  That just shows me that there is something totally wonky in the formula. 

Your win rate has been dropping, however.  If you compare your win rate over time and and your WTR over time, you'll see that they're closely related.

It would seem that although you're getting more experience and doing more damage the longer you play, you're not actually seeing that reflect on your win rates.  In your particular situation, your declining WTR may be a fairly good indication of your overall performance.  I also see your average tier is trending up over time.  You'll naturally do more damage and gain more XP at higher tiers even with an equivalent or worse performance to what you would achieve at a lower tier, and WTR takes that into account.

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,083 battles

They could be changing expected values around, which they should be doing if they want to keep the metric current. It is hard to balance adjusting for nerfs/buffs with population change effects. Drops like that might be bugs where certain ships are not included or drastically change due to an algorithm before being manually corrected. 

[TDG]
Members
1,213 posts
6,065 battles

WTR is based on the performance against the average.  The average is not updated as smoothly as the performance.  Also, there have been server outages which will prevent the baseline from changing even while they personal data is changing.

Members
396 posts
6,338 battles

I think a few things are going on.

Our Data can be changing because I think all the numbers are a rolling number based on a timeframe, so if looking at sat the pst 14 days, off course individual days are going in on one end and coming out on the other end, which will change the rest of the numbers as well, even if you are not playing.

Also I think the rating is based on some global calculations such as average damage for a ship vs your damage, so as others are affecting some of the numbers in the calculations your numbers change even if your not playing.

Regarding the expectation that doing more damage and gaining more xp should be correlated with higher rating, this isn’t the case unless your performing better than average at the same teir in the same ships and some of these numbers are going up simply because there is more Xp per match, more damage per match at higher teirs

Edited by Visidious

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,780 battles
29 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

WTR.png.2f90f7d5b37e104c647eef8597388d4a.png

Average damage (Yellow graph) is a hard, simple number.  As you would expect after 4,000 battles, it changes very slowly and smoothly because even a great or horrible game can't sway your average that much.

You would expect WTR (Blue graph) to behave the same way, but you can see some weirdness.  I'm especially curious about the dramatic dip and sudden return at around 3,600 battles.  I wonder what the story there is.

How this for weirdness? Mine looks like a bad EKG reading...

wt.thumb.PNG.b68482ced286fb4695e46c26d957d90d.PNG

• Funny 2

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,149 posts
3,665 battles

WTR as a metric is bad. It isn't even on my radar as a viable value for comparison.

[SANK]
Members
127 posts
4,837 battles

Could be related to a database or player purge as well.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,355 battles
55 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

They could be changing expected values around, which they should be doing if they want to keep the metric current. It is hard to balance adjusting for nerfs/buffs with population change effects. Drops like that might be bugs where certain ships are not included or drastically change due to an algorithm before being manually corrected. 

This is what i am leaning towards.

maybe they changed a calculation that affects your overall numbers just a bit which in my case lowered my overall WTR.

added here took away there something along those lines.

The reason i think this as well is because on the other site world of warships stats and numbers, my WTR has gone up not down lol.

So who the hell knows what your actual WTR is anyway id say.

I guess once again the only thing that matters if you can say it matters is Win Rate.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,406 battles

If your playing a "new" ship or a ship that doesn't have a big pool of games done in it the WTR average will flux like crazy give it a month or two and your WTR will go back to whatever you should be at

I'm assuming your playing the french BBs

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,355 battles
5 minutes ago, Muki41 said:

If your playing a "new" ship or a ship that doesn't have a big pool of games done in it the WTR average will flux like crazy give it a month or two and your WTR will go back to whatever you should be at

I'm assuming your playing the french BBs

You know that might just be it...... ding ding ding!!!

But then again i have played new ships before and never noticed a sudden drop in anything.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
351 posts
9,406 battles
5 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

But then again i have played new ships before and never noticed a sudden drop in anything

Have you played them during the first two weeks of there release? Since pan asia DD WTR were stuck at 1k WTR intill a few weeks later after their release

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,355 battles
1 minute ago, Muki41 said:

Have you played them during the first two weeks of there release? Since pan asia DD WTR were stuck at 1k WTR intill a few weeks later after their release

I played the Missouri 100 straight games lol.  Saved up and got it 5 minutes after it was released but Maybe so many people got it and played it so much so fast that the numbers added up more quickly.

[5IN]
Members
1,793 posts
8,153 battles

I don't use WTR for much other than personal improvement.  Individual stats, ship stats, etc.  That said, I did notice a change in it today where it was lower than yesterday.  I also use wows-numbers, and it didnt change, so I can only assume it was something with WT.  

Also of note, the number of games played on WT doesn't match my WG profile, or the other site, so its likely broken again somewhere.

B