You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MrBATTLEBRAWL

How Should You Play the Sims?

11 comments in this topic

Members
23 posts
4,040 battles

I've given the Sims many Go's, but I've struggled with it compared to my other destroyers, American and the like. I will tell you I'm not a big Destroyer guy and I'm not an amazing player by any means, but I've had a hard time figuring out the Sims.

For one, the torpedo options both are bad in my opinion. Long range torps that do practically negligible damage compared to other torps at tier, or short range knife torps you rarely get to use, and considering the main battery, you don't want to be that close to enemies anyway. I get the gun arcs are rather high for a destroyer, so you should stay back at range and pelt BB's and such. The guns don't do great damage and the shells shatter a lot. They start fires about as often as any other destroyer, but you only get 4 guns.

The AA module is what you should pick and it's good, but I feel it's hardly much better than the American line Defensive AA anyways.

Do I just misunderstand this ship? Any advice from other DD captains?

[-BRS-]
Members
1,640 posts
13,631 battles

It's a ballerina you must dance with it Torpedoes are mostly just a bonus feature they're so slow I've seen a ship turn to avoid them and hit him on the backside of the turn that's pretty funny

It's a dancer for sure you want to use speed and you're turning ability to dance at medium range mostly and it can be really hard to hit don't get me wrong it's a good close in fighter that's where your Torpedoes will shine good for Flushing destroyers out of smoke campers and just playing good area denial because they reload so fast and it's got some awesome smoke plenty of room to dance around in it's one of my favorites

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
306 posts
5,188 battles

Your primary mission is to fight other destroyers, you cap, you smoke your teammates. You use your Long Range sea mines for area denial and launch them where you don’t want an enemy to pop up. You have god tier rudder shift, great top speed and turret traverse so stick and move like money mayweather.  When there aren’t other dds around to give your bb friends trouble you give the other BBs headaches with raining 5in shells on them and lighting fires.  1v1 you should delete most other dds you will face.  Did I mention you fight other dds? Because seriously that is your primary purpose in the sims.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,285 posts
17,328 battles

So many say Sims/Benson are great; but the only time I was ever able to make it so was in Final Frontier; rushing north to nuke  that eastern Cleveland before it could get on the map.

Dislike both.

[SALVO]
Members
17,100 posts
17,770 battles
56 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

Your primary mission is to fight other destroyers, you cap, you smoke your teammates. You use your Long Range sea mines for area denial and launch them where you don’t want an enemy to pop up. You have god tier rudder shift, great top speed and turret traverse so stick and move like money mayweather.  When there aren’t other dds around to give your bb friends trouble you give the other BBs headaches with raining 5in shells on them and lighting fires.  1v1 you should delete most other dds you will face.  Did I mention you fight other dds? Because seriously that is your primary purpose in the sims.

@MrBATTLEBRAWL

gmrbull is got a handle on it.  Let me expand on it.

Yes, your primary targets are enemy DDs.  And capping and spotting are top goals.  I'm less enthused about smoking teammates since the smoke changes make smoking up BB to usually be useless.  Smoking up a cruiser line an RN CL or an Atlanta can be very worthwhile, though.    I tend to also use my smoke for smoke shooting when I'm absolutely certain that I have team mates spotting the enemies I'm looking to engage.  

The Sims' torps are great for firing into smoke.  I suggest the slow, longer ranged ones for random battles, though the  short ranged ones can work in coop.  However the short ranged ones are just too short ranged for randoms, since you have the option to use the longer ranged ones.  Don't be afraid to  use your torps against enemy ships.  But be aware that you'll probably need to lead your targets a bit more, since they're slower torps.  And also be aware that because they're so weak, any damage is likely to "chip damage" to any  healthy BB.  Though they can start floods or kill wounded targets with enough hits.  (I killed a wounded Tirpitz with multiple Sims' torp hits because I saw that he was about to ground on an island, so I  intentionally aimed for where he'd be when grounded rather than according to the lead indicator.  He ate a good number of the torps and was sunk.)

The Sims can do well even when bottom tier just by being cautious and sticking to your goals.  Keep the enemy spotted.  Grab caps when possible.  Engage enemy DDs.  If you happen to have torps ready when you've spotted an enemy DD (but aren't spotted yourself), take a moment and launch your torps where you think they'll do the most good.  Then start shooting.  OR  if you're engaging a weaker DD, like any non-Akizuki IJN DD, maybe start shooting to try to get him to smoke up and then fire the torps.  You can do this a number of different ways.  But never overlook your torps in a DDvDD engagement.  Weak as they are, they're more than powerful enough to really, really hurt any DD you face even if they don't outright kill him.

[BLUE_]
Members
399 posts
14,399 battles

Sims is a maneuverability monster, problably she's the ship in the game that has the best combo between speed, turn radius and rudder time. This combined with the small size, even for a destroyer, makes her extremely hard to hit at mid-long ranges. Also the only way for Sims to be hit by torpedoes is if the player is with the guard down.

At close quarters with other DDs the opponent has to worry about torps, while Sims as i mentioned, wont mind about them at all. Guns with great RoF and being a small target make some shells miss even being really close.

About the torps. The 9.2km option is slow and with low alpha. But they are quite stealthy and reload quiclky, good for spamming, it's possible to lauch the next salvo of torps in the water when the set of torpedoes before are still making their run. This requires a different strategy, the most common is forcing repair and getting floddings.

Last weekend i soloed an Atlanta that was rushing me my Sims she couldnt hit me back and did only 2k damage, while i slowly reduced her HP until she got sunk. :cap_haloween: Earlier in that match Algerie rushed me with hydro and the plan of that player to sink me backfired, because cruisers are unbeliavable slugish compared to Sims, it was a piece of cake dodging his torps at point blank range, unfortuantelly for him he couldnt dodge my fishes.

[SALVO]
Members
17,100 posts
17,770 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

So many say Sims/Benson are great; but the only time I was ever able to make it so was in Final Frontier; rushing north to nuke  that eastern Cleveland before it could get on the map.

Dislike both.

Prophet, it sounds to me like you can't make USN DDs work in general.  They're not that hard to use.  It makes me wonder if you're simply not doing the right things and are trying to play them like they're DDs of some other nation.  USN DDs have their own play style.  Of course there are minor differences depending on the individual USN DD, but they're good for spotting and capping, and engaging enemy DDs, with a little bit of smoke shooting thrown in the mix.  I suppose you could call them knife fighters, rather than the longer ranged run and gun snipers that describe Russian (and Russian style) DDs.  And as someone who plays all nations' DDs, I can definitely tell you that knife fighting DDs require a different player skill set and mentality than run and gun Russians or stealthy ninja Japanese DDs.

But if you can't make it work, I can see why you might not like them.  But don't doubt that they are good DDs.  They're just not good for you.

[RLGN]
Members
8,285 posts
17,328 battles
57 minutes ago, Crucis said:

They're just not good for you.

Effectively yes. Odd perhaps, since Wickes was one of my better early destroyers; even more so than the following Clemson was.

Part of that is not seeing anything positive about getting shot to hell fighting over a cap in ANY destroyer. Which of course comes from knowing I suck at knife-fighting and wanting no part of it.

My person preference is to murder Red destroyers (and anything else, for that matter,) from ambush; and I consider myself to be pretty good at that.

[SALVO]
Members
17,100 posts
17,770 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Effectively yes. Odd perhaps, since Wickes was one of my better early destroyers; even more so than the following Clemson was.

Part of that is not seeing anything positive about getting shot to hell fighting over a cap in ANY destroyer. Which of course comes from knowing I suck at knife-fighting and wanting no part of it.

My person preference is to murder Red destroyers (and anything else, for that matter,) from ambush; and I consider myself to be pretty good at that.

Prophet, I get what you're saying about not liking get shot to hell fighting over a cap in any DD.  But SOMEONE has to do it, unless you're willing to let them  take every cap in the game.  I don't believe in capping at any cost, because so what if I take a cap at the cost of 90% of my HP early in the game.  (A) The enemy can retake the cap shortly thereafter if they really want to because I sure can't stop them.  And (B) I'm going to be rather useless the rest of the game, depending on exactly what DD I'm actually in.  (Some DDs can fall back on playing the stealth ninja torpedo DD, while others can't.)

Having said that learning to knife fight in a DD that is strong at it is a still well worth having.  After all, what's the point in sailing USN, German, or PA DDs that are good at knife fighting if you won't do it.  You're hurting your team by sailing a good knife fighter but refusing to knife fight.  I don't have a problem with the idea of refusing to get in knife fights when you see that you're at a disadvantage, such as being outnumbered or being unsupported while the enemy DD is supported.  Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.  Better to be alive than not when your chances of winning that fight are nearly non-existent. 

As for attacking from ambush, I entirely agree with you, and I think that any decent DD skipper would.  It's always great to get in the first shot.  Heck, sometimes if you're lucky and catch the enemy DD on the side his guns are NOT aimed over, you can even get in a large number of volleys without taking any return fire.  (I might even argue that if you see that this is the case and you're unspotted, maybe fire off one spread of your non-deep water torps before opening fire with your guns (but save a second spread just in case he smokes up), and then open fire.  Also, if you're unspotted and his guns are aimed the other way, I like close on the enemy DD as close as possible before opening fire so that I'm right on top of him with the best accuracy possible.  I want to hit him hard and fast.  And possibly get him dead or nearly so before he can get his guns around.  I love blowing enemy DDs out of the water in this sort of ambush.

[KILL]
Members
48 posts
7,014 battles
18 hours ago, MrBATTLEBRAWL said:

I've given the Sims many Go's, but I've struggled with it compared to my other destroyers, American and the like. I will tell you I'm not a big Destroyer guy and I'm not an amazing player by any means, but I've had a hard time figuring out the Sims.

For one, the torpedo options both are bad in my opinion. Long range torps that do practically negligible damage compared to other torps at tier, or short range knife torps you rarely get to use, and considering the main battery, you don't want to be that close to enemies anyway. I get the gun arcs are rather high for a destroyer, so you should stay back at range and pelt BB's and such. The guns don't do great damage and the shells shatter a lot. They start fires about as often as any other destroyer, but you only get 4 guns.

The AA module is what you should pick and it's good, but I feel it's hardly much better than the American line Defensive AA anyways.

Do I just misunderstand this ship? Any advice from other DD captains?

I've done a fair number of battles in the Sims and it's a solid ship.  If you want to div look me up and I'll bring mine out.

Members
1,550 posts
8,238 battles

Hey

I played my wife's Sims several times just to try it out and found her to be quite a usable ship especially with her maneuverability and speed, great for spotting and those low slow torps are a great way for area denial of enemy ships.  The gun arcs allow you to hug island and shoot over them, she fires like a mini-Atlanta and if a DD Noob like me can have fun in it, then anyone can.  I do not have the ship myself as I already have a few T7 DD's (Maass, Blyskawica, Leningrad).  She also make good credits too.

Pete