Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Bot or Idiot, You Decide

32 comments in this topic

[S0L0]
Members
222 posts
5,417 battles
Just now, FacePalming said:

No sure what I'm looking at? :cap_look:

Someone running into a map corner at full speed

I'll say most likely just an AFK mid-battle, don't know the context leading up to this image though lol.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
147 posts
12,345 battles

Got it now

I had my monitor quit on me one night, that's where I ended up once I got it working again...wasn't fun

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,376 battles

Thanks for sharing. JB, appreciate the explanation. I agree that there is not enough there to determine why the player did that. If it is something that consistently happens, then the game will take the appropriate action. I've been in games like this and normally, it's a player who is AFK or running to stay alive with low HP. Definitely not the case here.

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles

Could be game crash since those have been happening randomly and to randomly selected players and if this DD had engaged speed boost just before the crash it could have sent him there since while engines usually shut down once the crash disconnects them, a ame freeze can allow their ship to be in uncontrollable movement for a bit longer.

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,854 battles

I just watched the replay. Immediately on game start he smoked and then ran in a straight line to the map corner. Interestingly, he went right through an occupied cap but nobody fired on him. It almost seems to me like a crudely-written bot.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WFSDL]
Members
610 posts
8,404 battles

Might not be a bot, I had to walk away mid game because IRL emergency, pointed my boat to the map edge, set full throttle and walked away. Happens.

• Cool 1

Members
762 posts
15,792 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

shot-18.03.05_23.46.07-0733.jpg

Some odd, seemingly unrelated activities come to mind... It looks as though a vessel hovering over the V-25 is attempting to beam (transport) up from the ship someone else who is using a tremendously long metallic fishing pole.

• Funny 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

shot-18.03.05_23.46.07-0733.jpg

I thought it was a new premium camo for the Roma.  The SUPER ENHANCED BEER CAN. 

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
755 posts
6,963 battles

I did that exact thing about a year ago when the doorbell rang in the middle of a battle....

I managed to get back in time to turn around and help finish the battle, though....

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

When I have to get up mid battle, I usually try to use auto-turn and circle where I am.

[DPG]
Members
886 posts
4,429 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Could be game crash since those have been happening randomly and to randomly selected players and if this DD had engaged speed boost just before the crash it could have sent him there since while engines usually shut down once the crash disconnects them, a ame freeze can allow their ship to be in uncontrollable movement for a bit longer.

I think if you crash you stop moving.  That's the experience I've had.  You log back into a battle and pray that no one noticed you.  

• Cool 2

Members
1,296 posts
21,024 battles

Could be someone who got a phone call, and hoped it would only take a few minutes, so he sent his ship somewhere safe for when he got back.

Not that I would know anything about doing that...

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
Just now, Amenhir said:

I think if you crash you stop moving.  That's the experience I've had.  You log back into a battle and pray that no one noticed you.  

Yes that is typically what happens, but it functions like suddenly switching your engines to stop. Which means ship slows  down gradually which is usually at least couple ship lengths of distance.

Gets more complicated if your screen glitches or freezes then your ship can travel fir a little while unless you do a fast Force Quit and quickly reopen the game and get back into battle. I keep sharp eye out for the warning signs it might be about to happen and I wait about 3-5 seconds of freeze time before going through force quit and reopen process since once in a while game freezes just for an instant and then runs smoothly, so I don’t jump the gun on game restart because in order to force quit, open game, log in, battle load, and my being in control typically takes about 2 minutes.

The DD the OP is talking about could be sitting there with frozen game just waiting, which eventually it crashes you back to log in, closes app, or displays crash message, but that can take a while.

Pretty sure it’s on Wargaming’s end because it is so random and yet widespread to the point that you will encounter at least 1 late loading player or randomly AFK if you play for 3 hours, generally you will see more than 1 in that amount of time, have seen 4 on 1 team even, that battle it took 4-5 minutes for 4 BBs to be able to load. Which was interesting that the bugs targeted only the BBs that time, have seen it target the DDs as well though.

have not really found the pattern which if it was my end I would be able to trigger the game crashes. I do notice they seem to get worse when server population is higher, but that is not constant factor, just most of the time it coincides.

Also Tears of the Desert Map is cursed for me, I get nervous if I do not crash and reload quick at battle start because that means crash 95% of the time will happen some time later in battle and could be in the middle or at battle report stage. Couple other maps do this as well. 

The Narai Operation was most notorious for having problems for me, but the Hermes one is ok so no clue what that is all about, but seems to indicate the crash bugs might be map based or something.

[DPG]
Members
886 posts
4,429 battles
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

snip

I had something similar happen to me in Ultimate Frontier.  I came to a halt, nothing was moving and when the game finally caught up, my pensacola was going about 90kts.

[PSP]
Members
6,226 posts
8,854 battles

What was funny was that the DD was going full power into the corner.

Edited by Snargfargle

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,833 posts
13,050 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Interestingly, he went right through an occupied cap but nobody fired on him.

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
7 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Hmmm, maybe it does that recently, but I had a game about a year or so ago where I crashed playing Shimakaze and plowed right through the cap and into the advancing red team. I finally  got back in to "our shima is a noob" calls from my team. I apologized, and they were ok with it. Glad I have a great pc now as I can get back in super fast.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

It looks like when someone calls Mulligan in a planned match. Aim the ship for the corner and drop game. Works if you're starting to go LD too, that way if you can reconnect your odds of surviving are the best.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,020 posts
3,512 battles

I had to do that once, because I had to respond to someone who doesn't understand the phrase "multiplayer games cannot be paused." So to prevent the enemy from getting a free kill, I ran full speed, into the map edge, so they would at least have to hunt me down... keep in mind, I'm the only DD on my team while the enemy had two... so yeah, big loss if there isn't a DD scouting for other DDs, so I was expecting the loss.

I get back, game still going, I'm still alive, my team winning... I did inform my team why I took the actions that I took, and they were all very understanding. Later in the battle after my return, it comes down to the wire. Literally me versus 4 ships, my team will win by points if I survive for the remaining minute. "You abandoning us should've cost us the match. Yet some how, in this strange universe, it's what probably just saved us the win," was the last message of the battle, at the 5 second mark.

That is how I received "Solo Warrior" for the first time...

So yeah, due to circumstances outside of player's control, could be the reason the player slammed into the map edge. Or it could be due to complete incompetence of the player. It could even be both.

Either way, great player to blame for a loss if a loss does occur, but outside of blaming, I personally wouldn't report them, because I don't know the full situation from their end.

Sign in to follow this