Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Zero damage AP hits on DDs

4 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,849 battles

Playing the hell out of my Algerie lately with the Hermes OP.  Get a lot more hits than I ever would in a random battle with the target rich environment and noticed I often get zero damage AP hits on DDs. I know you are supposed to use HE but if I have AP loaded, and the DD is mostly nose on, I still hope for big damage. Instead I get 3 hits for zero damage. I thought there was a minimum damage for overpens. Can mid-tier DDs bounce 8"? Often too busy to look at the ribbons when they pop up as I am shooting, checking the mini-map etc. Even the HE often does little damage but I might chalk that up to damage saturation on the bows of focused ships.

Side note, anyone else having difficulty judging the target speed in this OP?  With the degraded visibility, it can be near impossible to see the smoke. Add in constant shell splashes and changing visibility, you often only getting glimpses of the target. Lots of salvos into empty water.  The bots don't seem to have this problem. Our bots spot and fire on ships before they render on the map, even when I am closer to the target. Red Bots can OWSF too. Trying to fool the red bots by changing speed doesn't work either. Thankfully the Algerie has torps so I can use the indicator.

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,351 battles

Pretty sure 15mm plating is enough to bounce 203mm AP.

I don't have WoWS handy to check, but I think mid-tier destroyers have more than that.

The overmatch calculation is gun caliber / 14.3, right?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles
1 minute ago, warpath_33 said:

The overmatch calculation is gun caliber / 14.3, right?

Yes. 203mm AP can be bounced by 15mm plate if properly angled. Mid tier DDs have 16mm plating.

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,849 battles

Thanks.

I've probably seen it before but the OP has so many charging DDs and changing targets that there is a lot more chance for engaging one with AP.

Sign in to follow this