You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordSiege

Cant catch a break in the yamato can i?

17 comments in this topic

[FBI]
Members
135 posts
2,407 battles

i love the ship i really do, but every match i play, theres a torpedo wall heading straight for me.... its getting to the point where i cant even go anywhere on the map without being hit by a 15+ wall of torpedo's or even pan Asian torpedo wall's

trust me i know the wasd "hacks" but 20 plus torpedo's ontop of flooding damage is insane and makes the ship almost impossible to play  and ive tried every trick in the book to try and midigate the chance of getting torpedos to hit my brodside 

any one have any ideas?  because im all ears. im bordering on selling the yamato here 

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,389 posts
5,080 battles

Positioning is critical, but if you want to push you are reliant on your friendly DDs to scout for you. If they refuse to, or all die in the first minute and a half, then you get to be an XP pinata for the enemy's DDs if you try to push blind. In short if you have a friendly screen in front of you and the strength of the opposing force isn't overwhelming, then you can push. If you have no scouting or the enemy force is overwhelming then you need to pull back. You are no good to the team dying valiantly when you can kite away, continue doing damage, re-position, and then eventually reengage on better terms. Every once and a while you will take flak for being "cowardly" from some friendly DD captain that was dropped on their head as a child, but don't let them get to you. If they have gotten up to the high tiers and still don't comprehend how important screening and scouting is then they are beyond help. That isn't to say you should always sit at the back of the map, because that is also a failure in positioning, but there is a very fine line between pushing sustainably and yolo-ing to your death. You only really feel that line out through experience.

Edited by AdmiralPiett

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I would suggest Hiding in the back row but then everyone would chastise you.

I would suggest you take the 8:15 Lemming Train But everyone would chastise you.

I would suggest you charge into the cap guns blazing but everyone would chastise you.

Maybe  if you wear a chastity belt it won't matter.

Do what you can play your best is the only thing I can solidly suggest. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
98 posts
3,432 battles

I mean, I never really have an issue with my montana.

You mainly have to keep track of which dd is where, what are their torp-ranges, and on top of that, where would you torp from? Using the mind of a DD player I've been able to anticipate their moves meaning I can dodge their incoming torps

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,663 battles

I'm not a great battleship player, but I'd suggest finding a spot with really obnoxious lines of fire, protected on one side by an island, and shooting the crap out of the red team until they have to come deal with you. Yamato doesn't play at all like Montana, which is far more mobile thanks to its lower concealment, faster turret traverse, and lack of a hexagonal citadel.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Without a replay it is hard to say what the issue is. I will say though that simply changing course and speed every 15 seconds would make it very hard for a DD to actually hit you with torps reliably. Never sit still in a BB... Never. Try to travel in groups, use catapult planes to help spot incoming torps and DDs. There are also a number of upgrades and captain skills that make spotting torps easier and make your ship more maneuverable to help avoid them. if you're firing to your left, keep an island to your right (or friendly ships).

A "wall" of torps from the front can be combed. If the "wall" is from the side, it means your team got out flanked and/or the BB player wasn't paying attention. 

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

I doubt you do know WASD hacks. They have nothing to do with dodging torpedoes like a Yuro video. It's entirely dependent on moving in a way that makes path prediction impossible. The best looking course is often the most dangerous, because it is easy to predict.

It will help greatly if you ensure there is a ship in the line of fire between you and the common torpedo lanes. Or an island.

Watch the minimap closely, know when the enemy DDs get spotted and where. Know how many torpedoes they carry, and how far they go. Don't repair fire if there's an imminent DD threat. Don't go alone. Do use your plane when you suspect a DD in the area.

if you're actually seeing 20 or more torpedoes at once, you messed up and are getting focused as food.

[RKLES]
Members
7,204 posts
8,976 battles

On my Yamato I have a stealth / Secondary Build. That way I can sneak around a little better as well as deal with planes and DDs. The idea was to balance attack and defense so that planes and DDs think twice about getting too close lol.

Aside from Camo, Catapult Fighter, Premium Consumables, Signal Flags that help with repairs, AA, Secondaries, you know the essential flags for a ship like Yamato I have the following on my ship...

Captain Skills:

PM

EM

BFT

SI

AFT

CE

Equippment Upgrades:

Auxiliary Armaments Mod 1

Damage Control System

Aiming Systems Mod 1

Steering Gears Mod 2

Concealment System Mod 1

Secondary Battery Mod 3

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,602 battles
1 hour ago, _Pixi_ said:

You mainly have to keep track of which dd is where, what are their torp-ranges, and on top of that, where would you torp from? Using the mind of a DD player I've been able to anticipate their moves meaning I can dodge their incoming torps

I think that's the major trick being a destroyer driver I have a lot better idea of where torp's going to come from and the mini map is your friend keep an eye on those destroyers and if you lose them for a while and nobody on your team's on that side just expect torpedoes from those dark areas where you have no friendlies covering you

And the most annoying thing you could do to us Destroyer drivers are those stupid catapult aircraft dang them besides spotting our torpedoes they might even spot us if we're not too careful

Edited by silverdahc

[RLGN]
Members
8,249 posts
17,264 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I would suggest Hiding in the back row but then everyone would chastise you.

I would suggest you take the 8:15 Lemming Train But everyone would chastise you.

I would suggest you charge into the cap guns blazing but everyone would chastise you.

Maybe  if you wear a chastity belt it won't matter.

Do what you can play your best is the only thing I can solidly suggest. 

So true... :Smile_teethhappy:

1 hour ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Don't play Yamato, play some other ships.

Or play it in Co-op.

Bots will mostly be too busy charging to torp from where you can’t see and kill them.

[NUWES]
Members
1,658 posts
5,562 battles
3 hours ago, _Pixi_ said:

Montanas don't normally sit still and bow tank for long periods of time (at least I don't). Yamatos do that in spades ... or reverse slowly. The only thing that attracts torpedo walls more than smokescreens are stationary BBs. Especially at T10 when torpedoes can reach across the map. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,270 battles

As an often torped Yamato captain with a below average win rate my comments are not worth a lot, but having wondered this myself I have determined that the #1 reason I get torped is due to tunnel vision, where I remain relatively static and not adjusting to the ebb and flow of the battle, I think the Yamato can be most effective if adjusting fire positions from time to time assuming that DD are coming for you. 

So proactive management of your exposure and predictability is probably the simplest thing to do.

if you ever play a DD you can discover what makes torping even a Yamato difficult, and one of the key things is moving away from the direction of the most ideal torping lanes as it is almost impossible to torp something moving away from your torping arcs

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Best way to dodge torpedoes and those destroyers that launch them is to rack up a few hundred or more games in a destroyer. When you jump in the Yamato, you then have a frame of reference, you can think like a DD player and stay outta "easy peasy target" land for those destroyers. 

Alternatively, you can always load up HE at the start of a match, fire one or two very big salvos at them, maybe delete one or two. Sometimes that's enough for them to look elsewhere for a target. 

Beta Testers
1,410 posts

first of all, play DDs for a while and you will learn how to avoid torp walls. 

second, Yamato gets torp walled if it goes lemming rushing. Yamato belongs in the back wrecking their cruisers first and BBs second. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

It's simple. If you play Yamato, NEVER push alone. NEVER do anything at all alone. Yamato is by far the most fragile of BBs. That's her tradeoff for having the best guns in the game. But she NEEDS support. Seriously, if you are unlucky to spawn alone away from the rest of your team, you need to make a beeline towards them before firing your guns. If you don't have several ships screening for you, you're playing it wrong.