You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Should vanilla players get compensated?

145 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,201 battles

Let's face it, mods are rampant in the game. This is terribly detrimental to those players that try to stay true to the game and run vanilla client only. Should they be compensated for all the other players not running the game as it was intended to be run; and rewarded for their commitment to the dev's ideals of the game? 

Ideas:

Camos quartely, like the good player rewards. This would be a great place to use those 3 new camos: Spring Sky, Mosaic and Asian Lantern. Vanilla players could get like 20 of each of them every quarter

XP and credit increase on battles played, similar to premium time and would stack on top of premium time

Access to premium ships exclusive to vanilla players.

Pure white Permanent camos given out to players that only play vanilla. This would help showcase their commitment to the game to the rest of the player base, while being stylish

Exclusive campaigns for rewards

5 doubloons per game played without mods.

-10% Dispersion when playing without mods.

I think all of that would start to heal some of the damage on vanilla players that mods have inflicted on this game. Thoughts?

• Cool 9
  • Funny 15
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 9

[YORHA]
Members
3,319 posts

Let me get straight to the point.

No.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

I second the no. And since mods are free and EASY to use, what is the motivation to not use ones? I mean I dont use as many in game ones but things like Extended Tech tree is invaluable.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,736 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

5 doubloons per game played without mods.

Yes, and make it retroactive, please.

• Funny 4

Members
519 posts
3,350 battles

Since having mods is a choice and WG supports them?  NO !!,,, wait this is bait isn't it ?

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,891 posts
5,674 battles

I think that WG would need to have clear lines drawn about what gives advantages before they do this. I do think it would be nice, but hard to implement.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,365 posts
3,938 battles

OMGBBQ BLIZZARD I HAVE BEEN PLAYING SINCE VANILLA AND YOU NEVER DO ANYTHING FOR PLAYERS WHO HAVE BEEN AROUND AND ALL YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO IS GIB US SOME KIND OF A NEAT TRINKET OR SPARKLE PONY BUT YOU DON'T BECAUSE YOU HATE US AND I DEMAND THAT YOU MAKE CHANGES AND RESTORE MY BWL EPICS OR I AM GOING TO UNSUBSCRIBE UNTIL MY SUBSCRIPTION RUNS OUT AND THEN I WILL REUP IT SO THAT WILL SHOW YOU GIB ME SOME REWARD TO ACKNOWLEDGE ME NOW PLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrMjrhz.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Interesting idea... Not sure if I agree with in-game rewards, but perhaps a symbol added to their patches/emblems. Then again, I do think an argument could be made for giving an ingame penalty to those using mods. Quite a few mods give distinct and unfair advantages (able to aim by minimap instead of needing ships to render on screen, mods that show the angle/speed/direction of enemy ships, or worse those that allow the user to see where incoming shells/torpedoes will impact allowing them to avoid them easier).

Simply put, if the designer meant for you to use it, they would have included it into the game for everyone.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin
  • Funny 1

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,788 battles

This game is pretty much Pay4Stats anyway... premium account = better WTR. Shame. 

So white cammo only if no premium too!

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[POP]
Members
854 posts
9,715 battles

+1 for this comment:

5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Pure white Permanent camos given out to players that only play vanilla.

The white should be as pure as the driven snow for players who are chaste and morally unsullied.

• Funny 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

This would change many players minds on mods, not all of them though.

As a rule we want more of a good thing but what your suggesting is by far too much. 

Getting free stuff for playing a game as intended is a Noble Thought. 

However the Mod usage is such a small % of the total player base "Everyone would get the Free Booty" How would WG make any Money for all the work they do?

Cosmetic Mods are harmless. Proof by WG Mod Pac approval.

Members
2,481 posts
2,334 battles

Allow non-mod users to go for a 4th daily container for 50k Exp! Yeah! 

• Funny 1

[DAY]
Members
1,177 posts
11,654 battles

i guess anime girls in my game REALLY pissed you off

too bad

• Boring 1

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,736 battles
1 minute ago, TheHolySpork said:

So white cammo only if no premium too!

That's racist.

• Funny 4

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles

If devs felt mods were overall detrimental to the game, they wouldn't allow them.

It seems like they currently allow them because they provide a few benefits:

• They allow the player community to think up and try out new features, some of which are popular and make it into the main client (for instance, smoke circles and timers)
  • They allow players to, e.g. have their historically-accurate iconography, on an unofficial basis that doesn't get WG in trouble
  • They allow players to customize the UI and other aesthetics (e.g. ribbon graphics, voice packs)

There are definitely issues around mods that seem to provide substantial performance benefits -- I do wish WG would make their stance clearer on things like the map X, fog remover, zoomout, team healthbars, and super-bright tracer mods. Actually, I mostly wish they'd implement a lot of those features directly into the client, particularly the zoomout and team healthbar ones.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[MIA-A]
Members
2,096 posts
6,729 battles

I actually think a -3/-4% camo that is pure white would be hilarious as a gift to people who play for free.

[BIAS]
Members
3,138 posts
9,201 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

That's brilliant!!

[DAY]
Members
1,177 posts
11,654 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:
  • They allow the player community to think up and try out new features, some of which are popular and make it into the main client (for instance, smoke circles and timers)

correct me if im wrong, but i thought these 2 mods were written by a WG dev to begin with?

he just first released it as "mod" in half-finished stage, and finally integrate it into client after he completed it

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

I actually think a -3/-4% camo that is pure white would be hilarious as a gift to people who play for free.

already have 2 of them   on my scharn and doy

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
4 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Why just 50k? Got for the full monty Unlimited Free EXP and Credits.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,646 battles
2 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

correct me if im wrong, but i thought these 2 mods were written by a WG dev to begin with?

he just first released it as "mod" in half-finished stage, and finally integrate it into client after he completed it

I have no idea, actually. Would be interesting if so, because it means the mod channels acted as the alpha/beta testing mechanism to refine the design and gauge community interest.

[LUCK]
Members
1,295 posts
19,494 battles
11 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

and morally unsullied.

Lost me there.