You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

47 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
415 posts
2,485 battles

Situation: Late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. I've had a few beers and am getting ready to hit the sack. "One more quick game" I say to myself and load up my Gaede. Battle starts and I start going up the center of the map. All but me and two other greens go east.

Dog comes up to me and wants out, so I run to do so and return expecting to be spotted/shot at by now.

But there's ... nothing. No reds or anything. I continue sailing LITERALLY right down the center of the map.

A bit later, half the reds are spotted down the western side and are almost at our cap, where we have a cruiser and BB defending. The rest are fighting our eastern lemmings.

So I hop into the reds cap with the hopes of drawing some back to me and relieving some pressure on my teammates.

I'm there for about a minute when I ask my team if I should stay or hop off. Four of them tell me to stay, no one says to leave.

I stay and wait for the reds to arrive. But none do. 

A minute later and I'm about 30 seconds from fully capping. I ask again if I should hop out. Team again says to stay.

Red DD finally starts to head my way, but it's too late.

The result: RIP my WTR.

Spoiler

8Ii7cDo.jpg

68nDcRX.jpg

6hLxRm4.jpg

I mean, the reds were at our base and could have easily capped us out, and our lemming train was in the process of getting smashed, so it seems like it was okay. 

But I feel so unclean.

And do note that I asked twice if anyone wanted me to hop off so they could do some damage, but no one did. Not one person. (I actually expected a bunch of negative karma points, but didn't get any.)

Was this wrong of me to do? 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,144 battles

No, the enemy team was dumb.

To be fair though, this is why standard battles suck. No one wants to defend their base.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
415 posts
2,485 battles
Just now, SeraphicRadiance said:

To be fair though, this is why standard battles suck. No one wants to defend their base.

When I first started playing I didn't understand why folks hated standard battles. 

Between this game and one last week where I -- and I alone, while the rest of my team just went somewhere else -- got four kills of ships trying to take our base, I get it now.

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

Always go for the win. I've seen many games thrown because the team wanted to farm damage. Playing for wtr is silly. :cap_cool:

• Cool 5

[HYDRO]
Members
1,559 posts
3,751 battles

They had 3 DDs that with speed boost would have been able to at least enter the cap quick enough so their mistake. Personally I don't particularly enjoy the quick caps since you don't enjoy much game but hey, you got to bed 5 minutes earlier :Smile_teethhappy:.

• Funny 1

Members
191 posts

I actually like the battle type.
Turn around can occur quickly on the map when people do leave their base exposed.
I've taken the opponents cap several times to steal a win when by ship count we were loosing.
I've also headed back when seeing ships going to our cap.

Either way OP, you made the right call, and in all honestly i probably wouldn't have even asked. So you did more then i would have done, I'd have just taken the cap if the enemy let me do so unopposed.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,382 battles
6 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Thanks for the thread. I agree that your opponents "strategy" might not have been the best. However, you asked your teammates and you did what felt right. You got your team the victory. Just my two cents...

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
415 posts
2,485 battles
4 minutes ago, xovian said:

I actually like the battle type.
Turn around can occur quickly on the map when people do leave their base exposed.
I've taken the opponents cap several times to steal a win when by ship count we were loosing.
I've also headed back when seeing ships going to our cap.

Either way OP, you made the right call, and in all honestly i probably wouldn't have even asked. So you did more then i would have done, I'd have just taken the cap if the enemy let me do so unopposed.

One thing I learned from tanks is to ALWAYS defend your base when you can. (Note that I mean going to back to reset it, not camping in it from the get go. :Smile_teethhappy: )

I was flabbergasted the reds made no effort to reset me. I mean, I stayed in one spot for nearly three freaking minutes. Never even got spotted once.

GG, reds.

:Smile_teethhappy: :cap_like:

Members
4,547 posts
6,442 battles

A win is a win is a win.  I don't care how it's accomplished. In WoT there was always some jerk who wanted more kills and they would tell you to get off the cap so they could chase down 1 lone red that was left.  Honestly....I would tell those types to go to hell.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,241 posts
8,110 battles
10 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Situation: Late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. I've had a few beers and am getting ready to hit the sack. "One more quick game" I say to myself and load up my Gaede. Battle starts and I start going up the center of the map. All but me and two other greens go east.

Dog comes up to me and wants out, so I run to do so and return expecting to be spotted/shot at by now.

But there's ... nothing. No reds or anything. I continue sailing LITERALLY right down the center of the map.

A bit later, half the reds are spotted down the western side and are almost at our cap, where we have a cruiser and BB defending. The rest are fighting our eastern lemmings.

So I hop into the reds cap with the hopes of drawing some back to me and relieving some pressure on my teammates.

I'm there for about a minute when I ask my team if I should stay or hop off. Four of them tell me to stay, no one says to leave.

I stay and wait for the reds to arrive. But none do. 

A minute later and I'm about 30 seconds from fully capping. I ask again if I should hop out. Team again says to stay.

Red DD finally starts to head my way, but it's too late.

The result: RIP my WTR.

Reveal hidden contents

8Ii7cDo.jpg

68nDcRX.jpg

6hLxRm4.jpg

I mean, the reds were at our base and could have easily capped us out, and our lemming train was in the process of getting smashed, so it seems like it was okay. 

But I feel so unclean.

And do note that I asked twice if anyone wanted me to hop off so they could do some damage, but no one did. Not one person. (I actually expected a bunch of negative karma points, but didn't get any.)

Was this wrong of me to do? 

No offense, but complaining you lucked into winning the game for the team sounds a bit unclean.

Look -  not everybody cares that people cap over farming damage.  Many realize leaving the cap,while being capped out, to farm damage is stupid.

Personally, if I see a chance to land a win, I'll do it - capping, resetting, turning tail and running out the timer or points counter...

I get it, you like to show teams you play well and aren't a "coward", but, honestly, most of the team wants their win, they aren't chasing a specific stat.

• Cool 3

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

You did the right thing. Wide spread poor decision making by the enemy team should always be punished with extreme prejudice. Now, everyone on the red team learned a valuable lesson.

Members
4,547 posts
6,442 battles
5 minutes ago, cometguy said:

You did the right thing. Wide spread poor decision making by the enemy team should always be punished with extreme prejudice. Now, everyone on the red team learned a valuable lesson.

"Punish with extreme prejudice".........do you work for the CIA?  :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

[H8TED]
Beta Testers
217 posts
17,308 battles
18 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

It isn't that no one wants to defend the cap it is that they have no concept of the how and when to play D. The lemming mentality that is what passes as teamwork and tactic in this game don't allow for the play style that is fluid enough for proper play. The point of the game is too win is it not? This means win   To the OP worrying about their WTR with only 1K games, please to me you're still learning how to play. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
4 minutes ago, dmckay said:

"Punish with extreme prejudice".........do you work for the CIA?  :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_honoring:

Of course not! :cap_haloween:

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

In WOT there is a rare achievement you get for capping out enemy base without being detected at any point during the game.  In thousands of battles played I only got that achievement once, on arty of all things.  Too bad they don’t have one in warships :fish_haloween:

Members
191 posts
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

In WOT there is a rare achievement you get for capping out enemy base without being detected at any point during the game.  In thousands of battles played I only got that achievement once, on arty of all things.  Too bad they don’t have one in warships :fish_haloween:

Probably something they should add then. :Smile_great:

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,550 battles
33 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

No one wants to defend their base.

I can't count the times I type in chat "Defend first" only to see them split up and ignore the base. Always get the "we can get back if we have to" response.

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
18,993 battles

Nicely played.  Done the very same thing twice myself.  Low experience, but Ws always feel better than Ls.  

Kudos to you.

[BNKR]
Members
415 posts
2,485 battles
7 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Raider medal.

I have a whopping one in 16.5K games on console. :Smile_teethhappy:

Thanks to everyone, BTW. Wasn't sure how capping was viewed in botes -- good to know it's not the same as in tenks. 

To the OP worrying about their WTR with only 1K games, please to me you're still learning how to play. 

That was really more of a joke, but yes -- not too concerned with it. :Smile_honoring:

Do want it at green or better, though, because I have high standards for myself. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
12 minutes ago, xovian said:

Probably something they should add then. :Smile_great:

But what to call it?

Ghost Ship?

Nothing to see here?

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles

The old football (or how people in the colonies call it: soccer) rule: rather a lucky 1:0 win then a hard fought 3:4 loss. Think not only about yourself: some of your team may fought hard and they earn 50% more XP.

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
5 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

The old football (or how people in the colonies call it: soccer) rule: rather a lucky 1:0 win then a hard fought 3:4 loss. Think not only about yourself: some of your team may fought hard and they earn 50% more XP.

The whole world has to call it soccer so long as the USA is the reigning world cup champions for either men or women. So says me. Now abide my command, world!

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
11 minutes ago, xovian said:

Ghost Ship is cool, but Ghost Cap might be more appropriate no?

Ghost Cap works. While we're at it, if you capture all of the caps in domination, how about all your base are belong to us?

• Funny 1

Members
18,218 posts
5,196 battles
1 hour ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Or they want to defend it from the base....

It's just like WoT in that regard. Defending the base from at the base lets you get a couple good shots off before you get flanked and wrecked.

It's easier to stop them from capping once they're in the circle, than to stop them from getting there in the first place.