You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

French Gold completed...Aigle paid for itself I'd say.

26 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Well, I finished all the Frenchy stuff because I bought the Aigle about a week after it went on sale. 

I'd say it paid for itself: 215ish premium camos (that's just the revolutionary ones), a 2-10 point captains, a ton of silver with all of the duplicates I got, and two battleships I'll never use. 

Thanks, WG

[MIA-A]
Members
2,094 posts
6,725 battles

Is the aigle fun?

I'm apparently not going to complete enough missions to get it :(

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
5 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Is the aigle fun?

eh...it's fun because it's challenging. I think it's outclassed by most other destroyers myself

it's not great at any one thing, but it's not quite a "bad" boat either. I think they balanced it quite well if they work on the theory that premiums should be a little less than tech tree in performance. 

I will say it wrecks bots in co-op because you don't get focused quite as intensely. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

[WOLF2]
Members
884 posts
7,195 battles

Congrats!

And save those BBs.... you never know when you might get the itch to try them out.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I wasn't in a huge rush to grab it, simply because I will complete the missions to get it for free. I'll give it a few runs, but I doubt it'll enter it into the rotation or regular played ships if what I'm reading about it stands true. Poor T6 MM doesn't help it move terribly high on the "must have" list either.

Great that you feel like you got your money out of it though, we need more of that around here.

Beta Testers
1,195 posts
6,144 battles
6 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Is the aigle fun?

It has character. It's not an especially good ship but it's quite unique and strong in certain situations.

[BUNNY]
Members
181 posts
7,758 battles

I love it. It's basically a destroyer destroyer. The key appears to not get in to deep, something I tend to do quite often.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 minute ago, DiddleDum said:

Congrats!

And save those BBs.... you never know when you might get the itch to try them out.

Yes, I saved them  

1 minute ago, Canadatron said:

I wasn't in a huge rush to grab it, simply because I will complete the missions to get it for free. I'll give it a few runs, but I doubt it'll enter it into the rotation or regular played ships if what I'm reading about it stands true. Poor T6 MM doesn't help it move terribly high on the "must have" list either.

Great that you feel like you got your money out of it though, we need more of that around here.

When I get battles with tier 7 and 8 DDs, it feels like taking a revolver on a mission to charge a machine gun nest (frontally). 

[WPP]
Members
514 posts
5,409 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Is the aigle fun?

I bought it day 1 and love it (I’m not a good player at all, so keep that in mind when I say that).  It’s got some of the weirdest guns that shoot really high and take about 11 seconds to land at full distance, but when they hit its great - lots of fires and respectable damage.  The torpedos don’t behave in any remarkable way with regards to distance, speed, or spread, BUT 18,500 damage each means you can flat out delete ships when you hit them - empty into a smoke screen weaving wide spread will usually sink the DD hiding in there, and if you can sneak up on a BB behind an island it’ll disappear.  It’s fast and fairly agile.  So yeah, I think it’s a lot of fun.

[TDG]
Members
1,171 posts
5,948 battles

Most fun was getting multiple citadels off cruisers with it.

It is very situational, but you get the right setup and you are going to wreck ships with its guns.

Aigle works best with some support, particularly spotting.

Members
2 posts
791 battles
12 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Is the aigle fun?

I like mine, but it certainly isn't the best Destroyer at its tier.  It is fast and has good concealment (although somehow DDs with worse concealment values seem to always spot me before I spot them, so I am wondering if it really has 6.8km), and 5 guns.  But, if you are used to German and/or Japanese DDs, the torpedoes are a bit slower and have less range.  If you play US DDs or are a masochist and play Russian DDs, the torps are better than what you are used to.

So, challenging but fun would be a good assessment.  But the kicker is - oo la la - the female maintenance crew.  Dry dock doesn't have to be dry...

[O_O]
Members
4,397 posts
9,511 battles

I have 14 of 18 Aigle missions completed.  I'm on the last stage of the French Gold campaign.  I may miss out on a few crates if I don't get Aigle in time to complete the tasks requiring her, but I'm okay with that.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

if you have done all the aigal missions,  you should have it by march 12th or so.     plenty of time to us it  for the gold campaign.  

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
2 minutes ago, centarina said:

if you have done all the aigal missions,  you should have it by march 12th or so.     plenty of time to us it  for the gold campaign.  

Yes, and the Aigle mission requirements in the French Gold campaign are easier than the other tasks (less ribbons, XP, etc. required). 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
52 posts
949 battles

I've just realised that I now have to nail every last Aigle mission to win her. This seems unlikely (namely, 1750 base xp, 4 torp hits in one game).

But still doable. Hrrm.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,645 battles

In general, when they do the buy-it-or-earn-it ships, the buying option unlocks enough bonus content that you'll break even or come out slightly ahead on in-game value (depending on how much you play).

So, congrats on the ship and all the stuff!

[-K-]
Members
5,235 posts
9,092 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

In general, when they do the buy-it-or-earn-it ships, the buying option unlocks enough bonus content that you'll break even or come out slightly ahead on in-game value (depending on how much you play).

Do you think that is enough to justify the Gascogne purchase and related missions?  Or am I just better off sticking with Dunkerque as a trainer?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,090 posts
12,645 battles
15 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Do you think that is enough to justify the Gascogne purchase and related missions?  Or am I just better off sticking with Dunkerque as a trainer?

Gascogne is a traditional Premium ship. Its missions are just XP bonuses with no crate unlocks or anything like that. So you definitely won't make your money back on that one.

Aigle, on the other hand, unlocked access to a daily mission (now expired) that gave you a French container per day, plus a Large French container at 15k Base XP. If you got that container every day, the contents of those 20 or so regular containers included about $20 worth of French camo and flags. Gallant worked that way as well, even though it couldn't be earned directly through gameplay.

I did notice that Vampire (which could also be earned through gameplay) did not have this kind of unlock sequence, so I guess I should revise my statement to say that WG sometimes releases mission sequences that make these purchases worth it. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[NOOOB]
Members
1,457 posts
12,292 battles

Matters on what your definition is “paid for itself” is.  Money out of your pocket vs time committed to the event plus credits you get when you receive the free ship.  Nice thing on this event, pretty easy to get done if you play regularly, so really a convenence option to buy early. Extra containers may or may not be worth it.

Edited by Panzer1113

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,171 posts
18,862 battles

No need for her to finish the campaign. I was done on Saturday and it only took me that long because I had nightshift the first two days. Got 3 BB from the container and I‘m at 15/15 for the free Aigle. There is still enough time to finish the campaign honorable after I unlock her.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,600 posts
4,013 battles
2 hours ago, Canadatron said:

Poor T6 MM doesn't help it move terribly high on the "must have" list either.

Would you mind giving us a bit more detail, here?  I'll grant T5 MM can be pretty brutal (mostly considering that T4 is protected), but as far as I know, T6 is the first "normal" +/-2 tier.  What is so bad about T6 MM?

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
34 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

Would you mind giving us a bit more detail, here?  I'll grant T5 MM can be pretty brutal (mostly considering that T4 is protected), but as far as I know, T6 is the first "normal" +/-2 tier.  What is so bad about T6 MM?

Tier 6 Match Making is just in a tougher spot due to tier 4 having been cut from their match making spread. They are never +2 tiers above, putting them at a disadvantage compared to other ships. 

[MIA-A]
Members
2,094 posts
6,725 battles

How any of the missions have happened? I think I'm at 13 as of yesterday so far, are there even enough more to finish?

Edited by enderland07