You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

Murderous chicken camo support thread

45 comments in this topic

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles

I wasn't planning on buying the crazy camo for any of the French BBs...but my kids saw it, and demanded that daddy have a least one "chicken boat." 

Little did I know what awaited...everything started out fine...but then I got into a blowout game...and a voice said: "Ram something..." I ignored it...but then it happened again...and a Lyon got T-boned... Once is once...but then again...and I went head to head with Big Fred..now bots in Hermes...please help me...should I send in a ticket? I mean look at him, its like he is talking to my soul..

3pKPO30.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Funny 6

[POP]
Members
855 posts
9,780 battles

desires to ram something with that big ole chicken?!

LEWD!

• Funny 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,632 posts
13,606 battles

So why did they choose chickens to be part of the French camo? Is it a French thing?

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
5 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

So why did they choose chickens to be part of the French camo? Is it a French thing?

It's called a Gallic Rooster and it's the secondary National 'mascot' or symbol if you will, behind Marianne, who is on the Campaign camo as a figurehead.

In US Terms... I suppose your Uncle Sam is the best equivalent? So the Eagle is the Official Mascot but Uncle Sam is like an unofficial one? The Rooster is the French version. For England we use the Lion as the Official Symbol (on the Coat of Arms and most symbol associated with the government) and King Arthur/John Bull as like unofficial personifications.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 4

[-BRS-]
Members
1,632 posts
13,606 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

It's called a Gallic Rooster and it's the secondary National 'mascot' or symbol if you will, behind Marianne, who is on the Campaign camo as a figurehead.

Ok +1 thanks for info

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles
7 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

In US Terms... I suppose your Uncle Sam is the best equivalent? So the Eagle is the Official Mascot but Uncle Sam is like an unofficial one? The Rooster is the French version. For England we use the Lion as the Official Symbol (on the Coat of Arms and most symbol associated with the government) and King Arthur/John Bull as like unofficial personifications.

The campaign camo? You mean "Maid of Orleans?" The woman holding the sword on the figurehead there is Joan of Arc.

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles

I wanted to buy the historical camo, but the kids thought it was boring.. so now I have hysterical camo...oh well...one thing I would fix though...if your bow gets set on fire, he would turn into hotwings.. 

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
14 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

The campaign camo? You mean "Maid of Orleans?" The woman holding the sword on the figurehead there is Joan of Arc.

I don't think so. I mean I get the name reference, but the actual, practical depiction is more in line with Marianne. It would make less sense to be Joan of Arc as her presence in French Government standards after the rise of the Republic. She's seen, by the government, as too much of a Catholic, Monarchist symbol. Marianne is a symbol of both the revolution and a bit more esoteric: she just represents Liberty, and thus is not tied to a particular religion, government style, or attitude. And as far as depictions are concerned, Marianne is often in armor as well:

Marianne-silver.jpg(old coined version of Marianne in armor)

Likewise the French Flag they added in game with the French Collection, the Vive La France Flag, depicts Marianne on it:

Marianne+pleurant+.jpg

And is a relatively recent change.

All of this suggests the devs were aiming for a depiction of Marianne. Even the decision to change the name of France to Republic would fall much more in line with Marianne than Joan of Arc.

Edited by _RC1138

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles

Well, I almost checked off another "ship bucket list" last night when I went to ram a DD in smoke...with the engine boost on..his torps reloaded at the last second, and he nailed me hard, so I had to miss him my inches, and finish him with the guns. Drat. The chicken is not happy.. 

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,434 battles
6 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

I don't think so. I mean I get the name reference, but the actual, practical depiction is more in line with Marianne. It would make less sense to be Joan of Arc as her presence in French Government standards after the rise of the Republic. She's seen, by the government, as too much of a Catholic, Monarchist symbol. Marianne is a symbol of both the revolution and a bit more esoteric: she just represents Liberty, and thus is not tied to a particular religion, government style, or attitude. And as far as depictions are concerned, Marianne is often in armor as well:

Likewise the French Flag they added in game with the French Collection, the Vive La France Flag, depicts Marianne on it:

And is a relatively recent change.

All of this suggests the devs were aiming for a depiction of Marianne. Even the decision to change the name of France to Republic would fall much more in line with Marianne than Joan of Arc.

I get that, and I agree with you up to a point... but when you have a depiction of an armed and armored woman, and the context is labeled "The Maid of Orleans," then there's some obvious conclusions that have to be drawn.

(One of which may or may not be that Russians probably have minimal interest in or knowledge of French history outside of June-December, 1812.)

Edit to add: also, if you look at the figurehead, if you notice that blue shield with the three fleur-de-lis on it? That's the arms of the house of Valois (during their time as the kings of France), which (a) is not a particularly Republican thing to put Marianne on top of, and (b) Joan of Arc was a partisan of Charles VII ... of the house of Valois.

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Col. Sanders doesn't need more Fried Chicken Varieties. Don't Use HE roflmao.

[BIAS]
Members
3,151 posts
9,248 battles

Who cares about a chicken, The Maid of Orlean camo has a DUCK on it. Now THAT'S worth getting excited about!!!!

[PVE]
Members
9,729 posts
7,466 battles
On 3/6/2018 at 6:49 AM, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I wasn't planning on buying the crazy camo for any of the French BBs...but my kids saw it, and demanded that daddy have a least one "chicken boat." 

Little did I know what awaited...everything started out fine...but then I got into a blowout game...and a voice said: "Ram something..." I ignored it...but then it happened again...and a Lyon got T-boned... Once is once...but then again...and I went head to head with Big Fred..now bots in Hermes...please help me...should I send in a ticket? I mean look at him, its like he is talking to my soul..

3pKPO30.jpg

:Smile_izmena::Smile_teethhappy:

On 3/6/2018 at 6:57 AM, m373x said:

kill them all - chicken probably

7 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Well, I almost checked off another "ship bucket list" last night when I went to ram a DD in smoke...with the engine boost on..his torps reloaded at the last second, and he nailed me hard, so I had to miss him my inches, and finish him with the guns. Drat. The chicken is not happy.. 

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,951 battles

I don't have so much of a problem with the chicken (it is gaudy and horrifying, yes - plus, who the heck wants to put a chicken on their freaking WARship?)

Chicken+McFly-BTTF.gif

... but the huge draping cloth is just spectacularly stupid. One hit would dislodge that crap and it would be instantly wrapped around a prop. Yes, I know it's not supposed to be realistic, but I cannot help but think of that scenario every time I see the thing in-game.

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles
6 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I don't have so much of a problem with the chicken (it is gaudy and horrifying, yes - plus, who the heck wants to put a chicken on their freaking WARship?)

... but the huge draping cloth is just spectacularly stupid. One hit would dislodge that crap and it would be instantly wrapped around a prop. Yes, I know it's not supposed to be realistic, but I cannot help but think of that scenario every time I see the thing in-game.

Do not dis the chicken...he is hungry for the tears of my enemies...I went after an Alabama who went middle on Two Brothers...the CV stole the kill...the chicken is still hungry...

As for the rest of the camo? All I can say is:

HOM  HOM HOM...

[SIMP]
Members
1,020 posts

USA gets a noble eagle. UK gets a proud lion...

Doesn't anyone else find it hilarious that the official 'symbol' of France is chicken!!?? (Vive la France! I surrender!)  :fish_nerv:

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
On 3/6/2018 at 3:49 AM, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

3pKPO30.jpg

ok -- so I gave you an 'up vote' cause the camo is -- to my artistically uneducated mind -- pooh.  However, for those of us with the privilege of having lived around chickens and ROOSTERS, the gold thingy on the front of the collection of pixels that simulates the look of a french super dreadnought -- its actually supposed to be a Rooster.  Or I suppose more accurately a "fighting <ock".  And no I don't mean some kind of weirdo violent wiener thing. 

A lot of Rooster's have what we might call -- umm -- anger issues.  They attack anything and everything that gets within their "don't fork with me" range.  And some times they inch a lot closer to you just so you're in their "don't fork with me" range.  Of course if they do this crap enough to the humans that are feeding their arses, they eventually end-up as dinner with dumplings.  But yeah -- they are on'ry and mean and will use their spurs on the back of your legs whenever and where ever the opportunity presents itself.  That's what that thing is on the front of that boat simulation.    

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[ARGSY]
Members
1,290 posts
8,987 battles
7 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

USA gets a noble eagle. UK gets a proud lion...

Doesn't anyone else find it hilarious that the official 'symbol' of France is chicken!!?? (Vive la France! I surrender!)  :fish_nerv:

It's a [edited]. A big, proud, strutting [edited]. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,290 posts
8,987 battles

[edited] k is edited??

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles
20 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

ok -- so I gave you an 'up vote' cause the camo is -- to my artistically uneducated mind -- pooh.  However, for those of us with the privilege of having lived around chickens and ROOSTERS, the gold thingy on the front of the collection of pixels that simulates the look of a french super dreadnought -- its actually supposed to be a Rooster.  Or I suppose more accurately a "fighting <ock".  And no I don't mean some kind of weirdo violent wiener thing. 

A lot of Rooster's have what we might call -- umm -- anger issues.  They attack anything and everything that gets within their "don't fork with me" range.  And some times they inch a lot closer to you just so you're in their "don't fork with me" range.  Of course if they do this crap enough to the humans that are feeding their arses, they eventually end-up as dinner with dumplings.  But yeah -- they are on'ry and mean and will use their spurs on the back of your legs whenever and where ever the opportunity presents itself.  That's what that thing is on the front of that boat simulation.    

Yep. We had a dozen hens and one rooster that thought he ruled the world...us humans where here just to serve him, then run away before he could thrash us. We lost our lease to our place in the country, so he is in the freezer... I kind of miss him really. :Smile_sad:  Guess I'll go ram something to make me feel better... 

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 minute ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Yep. We had a dozen hens and one rooster that thought he ruled the world...us humans where here just to serve him, then run away before he could thrash us. We lost our lease to our place in the country, so he is in the freezer... I kind of miss him really. :Smile_sad:  Guess I'll go ram something to make me feel better... 

if we could grow human sized Roosters and teach um the subtle art of actually hitting something with a submachinegun we could dispense with people soldiers.  and when they are done with the war, we could eat um for dinner.

[PSP]
Members
6,268 posts
8,904 battles
On 3/6/2018 at 8:13 AM, _RC1138 said:

In US Terms... I suppose your Uncle Sam is the best equivalent? 

Yea, but Uncle Sam served (in the Revolutionary War) whereas chickens are served for dinner. Eagles eat chickens too, though the bald eagle is mainly a fish-eating bird.