You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

ship splashes in new patch totally unrealistic

22 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
166 posts
6,548 battles

Dont know about anyone else but i find the ship splashes after the latest patch totally unrealistic  as they go as high as a battleship length and one shell splash will totally obscure the target, you wg guys need to work on that.

Dont tell me its not happening as its in all my replays.  maybe the video settings need to be turned down to remove the ship splashes like anti alaising, i think just thinking it might make a difference, it did in arma.

.....  Ok i was proved wrong, thank you for that research, still annoying tho  :)

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[O_O]
Members
4,398 posts
9,515 battles

I think they look FABULOUS.

(And, yes, they are realistic)

• Cool 2

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

They made the splashes smaller after the last patch because the DD players said they could not aim. the splashes were to big....:Smile_child:

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

50_bismarck_burning.jpg

I don't think you understand how high a 14"/16" shell splash is... That's the Bismarck being fired on by the KGV and Rodney.

tumblr_nrok2kb8an1u7ngfoo1_1280.jpg

That's the Hood Being more or less completely obscured by splashes at Mers El Kabir. Notice they are about as tall as she is long? And the Hood is one of the longest Capital Ships ever put to sea. And those are only the 13.5" guns from French BB's.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
2,111 posts
3,577 battles

I think they look pretty good myself .

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,941 battles

Yes, they are horrid. Also, that Hood photo gives a good sense of scale, but not color - shell splashes were almost, as a rule, pure white. They were not translucent (as we see in WoWs), and the rose and fell out of the ocean as a cohesive body (they didn't dissipate in mid-air).

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[FACT]
Members
401 posts
3,935 battles

The splash "changes" offer no real difference than before. It still obstructs your view for quite a number of seconds after the fact, making shooting at it annoying. Same with the cartoonish looking smoke and fire. Shame they even messed with it to begin with. I can learn to live with it, I guess, since no real solution will address it.

However, the 7-10 second ship fade render in time after a (spotted) ship fires in open water is a whole other issue. Great, I can see the smoke from the smoke stack, but where's the ship!? :cap_look:

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
14 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

- shell splashes were almost, as a rule, pure white.

Wrong. In a training environment, where most pictures of them come from, they are pure white, because the shell's fuze is not set. But actual shells detonate when they hit the water (shortly thereafter obviously) and thus you see both the water ejecta as well as the explosive residue itself. You can look it up yourself but combat shell splashes are usually white with a black center.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,619 posts
8,871 battles
3 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Wrong. In a training environment, where most pictures of them come from, they are pure white, because the shell's fuze is not set. But actual shells detonate when they hit the water (shortly thereafter obviously) and thus you see both the water ejecta as well as the explosive residue itself. You can look it up yourself but combat shell splashes are usually white with a black center.

Or like the ijn did add color dye so the ships could see there shells. Off Samar Johnston got covered in I think green dye from a BB right at the start.

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
Just now, Shigure_DD said:

Or like the ijn did add color dye so the ships could see there shells. Off Samar Johnston got covered in I think green dye from a BB right at the start.

Sure but at any rate there is some 'blackness' to "real" shell splashes (fuze set). Whenever you read about a ship damaged by shell splinters, that's what they're talking about: a shell splash detonating near, but not on/in a ship and a shower of debris from the blown shell hitting the ship.

• Bad 1

[CO_OP]
Beta Testers
150 posts
2,738 battles

i mean they look alright 

here video of Battle of Denmark strait film from the Prinz Eugen 

• Cool 2

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,941 battles
20 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

That's not true. HE might detonate when it hits the water, AP does not. You only have to look at the DOZENS of available shell splash photos and paintings - many of them historical - on Google images to see that shells splashes were mostly white. Please do not spread misinformation.

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
8 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

AP does not.

Depends on the Fuze settings and who makes the shell, range, angle of decent and about a hundred different things but the short version is: you're wrong, AP shells can and do often detonate under water. The RN had a particular problem with their shells detonating in the water which caused issues for the Germans at Jutland as a huge volume of their casualties were actually caused by shell splinters, not direct penetrations.

Additionally, a cursory glance at WWII Shell Splashes shows that they are often white topped, black bottomed, which is what I said, as the detonation of the shell often causes a blackened wake in the water.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,570 posts
8,995 battles

HMS Lion under fire and the HMS Queen Mary blowing up.

800px-HMSLion_besideHMSQueenMaryblowingu

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
4 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Dont know about anyone else but i find the ship splashes after the latest patch totally unrealistic  as they go as high as a battleship length and one shell splash will totally obscure the target, you wg guys need to work on that.

Dont tell me its not happening as its in all my replays.  maybe the video settings need to be turned down to remove the ship splashes like anti alaising, i think just thinking it might make a difference, it did in arma.

Has anyone else found this also ?

I noticed this too, particularly with enemy DDs. There have been multiple times over the last 2-3 days when I force myself to hold fire because I cant see the target (and how it's oriented). The splashes literally obscure the ship. Have to give it a second or two for them to subside.

[SYN]
Members
14,441 posts
10,418 battles

This is Musashi

Take note of the near miss water sprout.

Musashi_under_attack.jpg

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
24 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

This is Musashi

Take note of the near miss water sprout.

Musashi_under_attack.jpg

I don't think that's a shell splash, as I can't think of a time where Musashi was fired upon by large caliber guns, and a 5" gun won't do that. That's probably an aerial dropped bomb. The volume of that flack curtain also suggests that's not a shell splash. It's even possible that it's a Torpedo Splash.

Edited by _RC1138

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,941 battles
54 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

I don't think that's a shell splash, as I can't think of a time where Musashi was fired upon by large caliber guns, and a 5" gun won't do that. That's probably an aerial dropped bomb. The volume of that flack curtain also suggests that's not a shell splash. It's even possible that it's a Torpedo Splash.

It's almost certainly from a bomb.

These are shell splashes:

dQbmuib.jpg

repulsefires.jpg

gallbismdenmarkstrait02.jpg

gallbismdenmarkstrait04.jpg

Hell, even WoWs' own artwork does a better job representing the real thing than the new effects:

world-of-warships-2_feature.jpg

[OSG]
Members
7 posts
10,222 battles

Since the latest update I have had multiple times when I force myself to hold fire because I cant see the target (and how it's oriented). The splashes literally obscure the ship. Have to give it a second or two for them to subside. The update did not correct this issue if it was intended too.

Lastly who cares about real bombs and shell splashes, we are playing a video game.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,235 posts
1,817 battles
23 minutes ago, Stalker_JS said:

Since the latest update I have had multiple times when I force myself to hold fire because I cant see the target (and how it's oriented). The splashes literally obscure the ship. Have to give it a second or two for them to subside. The update did not correct this issue if it was intended too.

Lastly who cares about real bombs and shell splashes, we are playing a video game.

It is a game, but I think it is a nice complexity that if a ship is really being focus fired the splashes start to act in its favor by providing cover.  Adds a bit of complexity and depth.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

I preferred them before. irregardless of  if the obscure the target or not, I find now the splashes evaporate in mid air. 

[NBGC]
Members
38 posts
7,296 battles

I like 'em. 

Yes it can offer a moment or two of pause and realism,  that's a good thing!   I get that it's a game and not a simulator but why play a game about ships battling at sea if not some aspect of its realism.   Why not just play pong...   

• Cool 1