You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BaconMeLoveIt

Premium Shop and Tech Tree: Why so empty?

12 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
86 battles

Have not been playing Warships. 

Why are there soooo few premium ships both in the tech tree and premium shop?

Is Wargaming releasing a new wave of premium ships?

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,852 posts
4,743 battles

Busy working on clones for existing ships with slight differences in worse stats.

"Hold please for the next representative" 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,487 battles

It's always like this.  Premium shop has 6-8 "general availability" ships all the time, and usually 1-2 "limited time" offerings.  There were more for awhile with the holidays but they pruned it back last month.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

It's normal. WG goes with artificial availability to help bolster sales. The hottest, newest Premiums end up in the shop (almost exclusively) for a month or so, then are replaced by the next. On occasion, WG does a re-release of a limited-time Premium as a 2nd chance purchase for those who missed out the first time, usually as part of a surprise weekend sale, if not a special event. Hot and high-in-demand Premiums are usually not put into the tech tree until much later.

Then after some time, WG will do an annual refresh of the in-game tech-tree Premiums and the webpage Premium Shop, shifting in some mainstay Premiums in place of other mainstay Premiums. The Premiums being ones that they feel aren't real earners anymore due to most of the playerbase that wanted them having bought them already, or are old but reliable sellers (like Atlanta or Atago).

December is around the time that WG pulls out all the stops and floods their in-game tech tree and web shop with almost all their available Premiums (excluding ships deemed too OP by WG's standards). That also includes some that may have been server-specific only (Admiral Markov from the RU server; aka a Premium Russian Nurnburg that's exactly identical to Nurnburg in stats).

You can also try checking in around WoWs' Anniversary, they sometimes put up a sizable but limited time selection of Premiums to sell. Not as much as the December Holiday Premium Bonanza, but usually some of the more recent and popular Premiums.

[SIDE]
Members
1,256 posts
8,868 battles
1 hour ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I should have bought the Okhotnik and now I don't have it  o:<

It's a very odd ship. Guns that scare DD's and suicidally short range torps, but lots of them. I play mine rarely, but every now and again it's fun to bring out. No doubt it will be around again; xmas containers etc.

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,223 battles

I have to admit after this last Christmas when so many premiums were offered on the Tech Tree for doubloons, I find their absence a bit disheartening. It was really nice to be able to buy so many ships using my hoard of doubloons from Halloween. I bought a Perth (ran out of stuff I actually wanted) just because it was there and it has turned into one of my favorite ships to play. If that Pan Asian cruiser that is similar, hits the tech tree, going to get it as well. Creeping smoke is the best smoke!  

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
68 posts
11,529 battles

With the lackluster quality of the latest premium releases, and the fact that so many older popular premiums were on the tech tree this probably created a scenario where people were spending less money on the new bad ships and more doubloons on quality ships in the tech tree.  The obvious business choice is to tilt the market into spending more new money.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,996 battles

Because Wargaming believes in the concept of scarcity generating sales. It's an almost ludicrously sophomoric perspective when the goods in question are literally infinite. Just because something stops being sold for a while, doesn't mean it will A) never be available again, or B) is ever sold in limited amounts. Moreover, it ignores the financial realities shared by many gamers, who may not have consistent incomes/be dependent on a paycheck to have disposable income, etc. Basically, it's just wrong.

[POP]
Members
858 posts
9,796 battles

Premium Shop empty?

sadness for soo few ships

heart yearns T-61

Edited by Gerbertz

[PVE]
Members
5,624 posts
18,223 battles
15 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Because Wargaming believes in the concept of scarcity generating sales. It's an almost ludicrously sophomoric perspective when the goods in question are literally infinite. Just because something stops being sold for a while, doesn't mean it will A) never be available again, or B) is ever sold in limited amounts. Moreover, it ignores the financial realities shared by many gamers, who may not have consistent incomes/be dependent on a paycheck to have disposable income, etc. Basically, it's just wrong.

I tend to think that impulse buying is a thing especially in the West. There is a reason they put candy bars and snacks at the checkout in all stores. There have been many times I would have just bought something if it were available for purchase in the game just on a whim, but since it wasn't it gave me time to ask questions of players or read reviews and then I decided against making the purchase. 

I have no clue how many consumers will impulse buy, but I imagine it is a pretty good sized number since almost every store in the USA, has similar layouts. Multiple millions of dollars have gone into researching how consumers shop and all the big stores use that information to design floor plans and displays. The more time you give a potential customer to think about a purchase, the more time you give them to talk themselves out of the sale. Manufactured scarcity only works if you think the item you want will not be available again or so long in the future that you just don't think you can wait. The fact that the scarcity is manufactured really just angers your thinking customer base like me since like Kongo said, the goods are infinite in nature. Engendering anger with your potential buyers is not a solid marketing strategy for the long term. It generates zero goodwill and almost zero trust. 

Edited by Taylor3006