You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

I despise this Ship with all my being

67 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,208 battles

I've played quite a few ships in this game. Some I've liked, some I've disliked. But none thus far have been as infuriating to play as Fredrich der Grosse. I have sat with my head in my hands watching this helpless barge get focused by the whole enemy team when there's even a Yamato sitting broadside on next to me. It is sluggish in every sense of the word. It turns painfully slow, it barely has enough engine power to make the effort to get out of it's own way. The guns, for a Tier IX Battleship, are pathetic. Already it has the horrible dispersion of KMS BB guns, but they can only shoot to 19 km and do so little damage I might as well not even shoot at all. 

One would think to play it like the Bismarck, but NO. It can barely get up to 28 kts (vs the 31-33 kts the Bis gets), the main battery is even WORSE (even though they are 16" vs the Bis' 15"), and the secondaries are all but negated by the ceaseless spam of the entire enemy team focusing me for no apparent reason whenever I try to just get into firing range.

My past two games were absolute nightmares. 6 hits, 9.8k dmg, 9 hits, 10k dmg, with a division mate in the Iowa that did 130k and 50k in those games. Why is this ship so bad?? How is it so bad?? What are you even supposed to do?!

Out of the two Tier IX's I had the options to grind to (Iowa or F. der Grosse), I, for some reason, chose this. Over the Iowa. I put out better, more consistent damage in a Tier II destroyer.

And if you're going to give the usual "it gets better when its upgraded" crap, please back it up with what specifically gets "better".

And yes, I'm mad about it.

• Funny 1

[DAY]
Members
1,178 posts
11,719 battles

izumo: everything is wrong with that ship except its guns

fredrich: everything is wrong with that ship including its guns

end of story

• Cool 2
  • Funny 7

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
13 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

I've played quite a few ships in this game. Some I've liked, some I've disliked. But none thus far have been as infuriating to play as Fredrich der Grosse. I have sat with my head in my hands watching this helpless barge get focused by the whole enemy team when there's even a Yamato sitting broadside on next to me. It is sluggish in every sense of the word. It turns painfully slow, it barely has enough engine power to make the effort to get out of it's own way. The guns, for a Tier IX Battleship, are pathetic. Already it has the horrible dispersion of KMS BB guns, but they can only shoot to 19 km and do so little damage I might as well not even shoot at all. 

One would think to play it like the Bismarck, but NO. It can barely get up to 28 kts (vs the 31-33 kts the Bis gets), the main battery is even WORSE (even though they are 16" vs the Bis' 15"), and the secondaries are all but negated by the ceaseless spam of the entire enemy team focusing me for no apparent reason whenever I try to just get into firing range.

My past two games were absolute nightmares. 6 hits, 9.8k dmg, 9 hits, 10k dmg, with a division mate in the Iowa that did 130k and 50k in those games. Why is this ship so bad?? How is it so bad?? What are you even supposed to do?!

Out of the two Tier IX's I had the options to grind to (Iowa or F. der Grosse), I, for some reason, chose this. Over the Iowa. I put out better, more consistent damage in a Tier II destroyer.

And if you're going to give the usual "it gets better when its upgraded" crap, please back it up with what specifically gets "better".

You can’t expect a French ship to play like a German, American, Japanese, or British ship. Some sources may list French Navy as 4th in World at the time, but I consider them the 5th or lower at the time behind the 4 nation’s I listed above.

The French Navy does have its own style that seems serviceable so I guess see about finding the style innwhich they can be used and find out if it suits you or not. For me personally I can use French ships, however I feel  they may not end up suiting me as well as the 4 Nations I listed.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,838 posts
4,729 battles

K....is it fully upgraded? 

I was once in the same boat matey, I thought the ship sucked...but then I learned how to play it...when to push...when to run away...knowing what I can do and what I can't do made it a really fun ship to play. 

Then again you could just be a cruiser main trapped in a battleship's body.

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,208 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You can’t expect a French ship to play like a German, American, Japanese, or British ship. Some sources may list French Navy as 4th in World at the time, but I consider them the 5th or lower at the time behind the 4 nation’s I listed above.

The French Navy does have its own style that seems serviceable so I guess see about finding the style innwhich they can be used and find out if it suits you or not. For me personally I can use French ships, however I feel  they may not end up suiting me as well as the 4 Nations I listed.

Um... I'm not using a French ship. I'm using the Tier IX German BB. Not really sure where you were going with this...

4 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

K....is it fully upgraded? 

I was once in the same boat matey, I thought the ship sucked...but then I learned how to play it...when to push...when to run away...knowing what I can do and what I can't do made it a really fun ship to play. 

Then again you could just be a cruiser main trapped in a battleship's body.

It is stock. Usually part of the issue, though I have stock ships that perform rather well, NC being one of them.

Edited by Halonut24

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,772 battles
27 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

It ain't that bad. I ended up liking the old girl. Sure as hell can brawl and come out the other side smiling.  :Smile_medal:

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,208 battles
Just now, Crusin_Custard said:

It ain't that bad. I ended up liking the old girl. Sure as hell can brawl and come out the other side smiling.  :Smile_medal:

Then I must be doing something horribly wrong, because I can't seem to stay alive long enough to make that happen.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

I have enjoyed this ship and I am enthusiastic about getting Frederick but not until I first get France.

Edit: I mean Kurfurst.  I need to get Kurfurst still

The secret, I think, is to learn that secondary builds are tarded and to not listen to anyone who sez secondaries are the way to go.  After putting aiming mod on Bismarck and Tyrpitz and retraining the captain to have useful skills have had no trouble with them or Frederick.

Edited by Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD
  • Cool 1

Members
1,862 posts
8,826 battles

FDG was great for me but it was a different game then. Not running a fire prevention build is much more dangerous now. Also it was before the German secondary nerf.

However the difference between a stock and upgraded FDG is bigger than any other ship in the game.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,288 posts
8,963 battles
8 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

Then I must be doing something horribly wrong, because I can't seem to stay alive long enough to make that happen.

No one can. It's a HUGE target. She's slow, and only her secondaries are capable of mounting any real damage.

In fire breathing cruisers and DDs, FdG is a prime target.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,772 battles
2 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

i ain't best player of FDG. Ended up playing 110 games in her with a 50 percent WR  and 61,554 k avg dmg .

1 minute ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I have enjoyed this ship and I am enthusiastic about getting Frederick but not until I first get France.

The secret, I think, is to learn that secondary builds are tarded and to not listen to anyone who sez secondaries are the way to go.  After putting aiming mod on Bismarck and Tyrpitz and retraining the captain to have useful skills have had no trouble with them or Frederick.

I agree. I focused on getting FDG's main batteries as optimised as much as the game would allow. I do same on Kurfurst, but that still work in progress in understanding this ship.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,421 posts
2,387 battles

I click on this because I *know* it's about Myogi.  i.e. <ptui>

Eh??   What?   It's not?  It's about a KM super-BB? 

@^#$%(@#$%

• Funny 5

[INTEL]
Members
8,579 posts
25,677 battles

I never made mine work, even upgraded. Sold it after one of those 40 hit, 20K damage games that I only get in Freddie. The Frustration der Grosse. Some people click with it, others.... drink whiskey. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

fdg is one of the worst stock grind in the match.  upgraded and set it up with   dispersion mod,  it actually perform pretty well.     i have 40% wr in stock   then upgraded, I ended up wit over 60% WR.  (final 55%)   

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I did my grind past FDG, Izumo, and Lion - can’t say that I have bad memories in any of them.  I just checked my stats, FDG did better than Izumo, but worse than Lion.

Izumo: 51.92% WR with 59,782 avg dmg 

FDG: 57.89% WR with 62,476 avg dmg

Lion: 62.75% WR with 87,608 avg dmg

[-K-]
Supertester
3,096 posts
6,832 battles

The most important part of playing battleships is the ability to his what you aim at.  When you shoot, you light up for everyone.  You are the damage pinata that everyone likes to shoot at.  You have a 26+ second reload.  You HAVE to be able to hit what you're shooting at to make the return fire you get worthwhile.  If you're not hitting what you're aiming at, or your ship has such bad dispersion that even perfect shots land no hits, then you need to get closer.  Thankfully, FDG is a nasty nasty dude up close.  It has the most HP of any tier 9 ship save the Musashi.  You have to be willing to take some damage getting close enough to do your thing.  Remember, fire damage is 100% repairable.  Run premium heals and the heal boosting flag.  And the flag that cuts fire duration by 20%.  Spec into FP and secondaries.  And ignore the idiots that tell you to use the 420 upgrade guns.  Use the stock 406's.  You only have 8 barrels.  Maximizing rate of fire is important.  FDG is a beast when you spec it right and play to its strengths.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle
  • Cool 4

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

Top tier, the Gross can push and dictate an early game like no other T9 BB.  Mid tier..well, that is very situational depending on what T10 BBs await you on the other side.  As others have noted, the Gross (and KM in general) are brawlers that shine best in the mix.  Of course, it needs to be a mix you can survive in...and that's the real trick.  Getting in close...doing damage...AND surviving.  Enemy will focus the proverbial spear of a push.  A Gross out front will get focused.  Relentlessly focused.  So again, gotta pick your battles.  Know when to push.  Know when to hang.  It is perhaps my favorite T9 BB.

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,255 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Bust out the credit card, or suck it up buttercup. 

Fully unlocked, this ship is a beast. 

Don't know where KM battleship drivers get the idiots who get close and let themselves get shot up by secondaries; all I ever saw in Biz/Tirp were players who ran/stayed away.

I pass on experiencing the same thing in higher tiers I hate anyway, thanks.

32 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

The most important part of playing battleships is the ability to his what you aim at.  When you shoot, you light up for everyone.  You are the damage pinata that everyone likes to shoot at.  You have a 26+ second reload.  You HAVE to be able to hit what you're shooting at to make the return fire you get worthwhile.  If you're not hitting what you're aiming at, or your ship has such bad dispersion that even perfect shots land no hits, then you need to get closer.  Thankfully, FDG is a nasty nasty dude up close.  It has the most HP of any tier 9 ship save the Musashi.  You have to be willing to take some damage getting close enough to do your thing.  Remember, fire damage is 100% repairable.  Run premium heals and the heal boosting flag.  And the flag that cuts fire duration by 20%.  Spec into FP and secondaries.  And ignore the idiots that tell you to use the 420 upgrade guns.  Use the stock 406's.  You only have 8 barrels.  Maximizing rate of fire is important.  FDG is a beast when you spec it right and play to its strengths.

Good stuff as always.

Have you been away for a while Pope? Can't say I've seen you much in the forums lately.

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I never made mine work, even upgraded. Sold it after one of those 40 hit, 20K damage games that I only get in Freddie. The Frustration der Grosse. Some people click with it, others.... drink whiskey. 

I couldn't make mine work either. Tried a secondary build: nope. Tried full AA build: nope. Finally went with a defensive build. Pretty sure I free xp'ed my way past it eventually. Some things were not meant to be, but then again, I dislike Iowa also. Guess I should just stick to cruisers more...

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

What? You don’t like to wait 30 seconds to see how your shells land everywhere except where you are aiming?

Thats why I started playing cruisers. BBs make me cringe, except Monty, Mis and Yamato.

edit: forgot about my GK, she is fun to play. Conq is just a bug.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Secondary spec ends at T8 with Bismarck.  Time to get a big boy build.  Crank that survivability up and damage isn't nearly as much of a problem.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
316 posts
11,840 battles

Gk will be your reward for this punishment. FDG was absolutely my worst experience out of the total 109 ships that I've researched, for a long time that title was held by Karlsruhe when the German tech tree only had 1 line. The Sigma behind FDG and GK are the same, but the dispersion is slightly different. Once you give the GK a try, you will come away with a ship that is surprisingly accurate.

Also, Before I even clicked on this thread, I guessed that the ship was going to be none other then FDG lol.

Edited by Aiser50

[FML]
Members
1,753 posts
10,126 battles
4 hours ago, Halonut24 said:

Yeah, my time grinding the FdG was awful too.  I was really sad, cos it seemed that the line really peaked with the Gneisenau, and the Bis was OK but I'm one of those heretics that much prefered the Tirpitz. 

Closest thing I can suggest - as much as it is painful, early on hang back.  Always make sure that there is another battleship infront of you to receive the HE spam.  Shoot destroyers even if you miss (they still have to dodge) and use your sonar to keep torps off the BB that is infront of you.  Heal up. Mid-battle, start hitting those cruisers that have to run from their island/smoke cover as the battle unfolds and they have to bail.   Heal up.  Late game,  close to engage enemy battleships at close range as possible, even if they are bow on - they cant hurt you either, and when you do go broadside to finish them, they are unlikely to cit you whereas your guns may actually start functioning for the first time all battle.  Meanwhile, your secondaries are setting fires like mad.  Heal up.  In battles with carriers, particularly German or Enterprise, stay near AA battleships (like USN)  for as long as you can.  Make sure you arent the guy out on his own. 

Dont underestimate how often people will turn broadside to run from two enemy battleships coming at them, particularly with the secondaries of the FdG flinging HE fire death their way from 11km.  Wait for them to turn broadside before nailing them - be patient.  Damage isnt as important as winning, and helping your nublet teammates by also shooting at their targets helps. 

3 hours ago, Taichunger said:

This guy nailed it.  /thread.