Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IvanPonomarev

USS Lexington Found in the Coral Sea

9 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
4,545 posts
11,437 battles

Was struck by the shots of the aircraft.  Remarkably well-preserved.

Thanks for posting.

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

I have mixed feelings when ships like this are found. Yes, it's a remarkable discovery and no doubt will produce some interesting research and artifacts.

However, it is also a grave for more than a few sailors and airmen. Any sunken warships of any nation should be respected as the final resting place of those who gave their all. Care should be taken when investigating the wreck.

• Cool 3

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
9,048 battles

I was hoping for some wide shots of the full wreck site, she famously went down 'like a lady' without turning over.  I'm curious as to how that effected the final resting state.

The plane was really cool tho.

42 minutes ago, Jarink said:

I have mixed feelings when ships like this are found. Yes, it's a remarkable discovery and no doubt will produce some interesting research and artifacts.

However, it is also a grave for more than a few sailors and airmen. Any sunken warships of any nation should be respected as the final resting place of those who gave their all. Care should be taken when investigating the wreck.

Sadly, the market for authentic WWII souvenirs will likely lead to a violation of that.  Not with this team in particular but I wouldn't doubt that entrepreneurial scavengers will be poking at it within the decade.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
421 posts
5,682 battles

Definitely cool that the wreck was finally found.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
421 posts
5,682 battles
Just now, Panzerlin said:

I was hoping for some wide shots of the full wreck site, she famously went down 'like a lady' without turning over.  I'm curious as to how that effected the final resting state.

Sadly, the market for authentic WWII souvenirs will likely lead to a violation of that.  Not with this team in particular but I wouldn't doubt that entrepreneurial scavengers will be poking at it within the decade.

The wreck is like two miles below the surface according to the article.

[SYN]
Members
4,545 posts
11,437 battles
54 minutes ago, Jarink said:

Yeah, well someone forgot to tell the animals salvaging the wrecks around the Malay Peninsula.  Disgusting.

Members
709 posts
9,924 battles
39 minutes ago, Panzerlin said:

Yeah I’m thinking the same thing too, I wanna see the entire ship!  I truly thought this ship was gone forever given how difficult it was to locate.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
223 posts
4,045 battles
1 hour ago, Panzerlin said:

Unfortunately it's been confirmed that she broke up heavily on the way down; she's on the bottom in 3 large pieces :Smile_sad:

Sign in to follow this