You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

BATTLESHIP of the FUTURE

22 comments in this topic

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
Popular Mechanics article from 1940 imagining the battleship of the future. I quite like the idea of engine exhaust pushed back to exit the stern as opposed to stacks overheard. I amped up the readability as much as I could but it will not be easy at this resolution:

5a9dc6242d217_BBoftheFuture.thumb.jpg.077faabd24d4ea096d89327d4364c744.jpg

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,602 battles

How about this futuristic looking thing:

Has 8" guns and carries a plane...

Oh....   and it's a submarine !!   Eat your heart out U-401.

French_Sub_Cruiser.jpg

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,823 battles

Battleships are super boring... show me that sexy "Super Destroyer" that is laying out that smoke.

Alpha Tester
1,306 posts
9,373 battles
6 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

How about this futuristic looking thing:

Has 8" guns and carries a plane...

Oh....   and it's a submarine !!   Eat your heart out I-401.

French_Sub_Cruiser.jpg

Fixed*

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Dunno, exhaust system + plenty sea water. Think this will damage very quickly.

Besides when having the exhaust gases blown over your ship it will be very nasty and dirty. The exhaust gases of ships today are already nasty to inhale...

[FOXEH]
Members
3,362 posts
12,175 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:
Popular Mechanics article from 1940 imagining the battleship of the future. I quite like the idea of engine exhaust pushed back to exit the stern as opposed to stacks overheard.

Exhaust to the rear? That would blind French BB captains. How would they see through their smoke??

Interesting concepts for improving ship designs back then. The air threat was recognized but the desire for BB still quite strong. Thanks for the article and +1!

• Bad 1

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
1 minute ago, Khafni said:

Exhaust to the rear? That would blind French BB captains. How would they see through their smoke??

Interesting concepts for improving ship designs back then. The air threat was recognized but the desire for BB still quite strong. Thanks for the article and +1!

Thanks Khafni. And I can imagine things going wrong on that ship (dead in the water for example, fans down), and the ship filling up with exhaust smoke....

[WOLF9]
Members
3,253 posts
5 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Thanks Khafni. And I can imagine things going wrong on that ship (dead in the water for example, fans down), and the ship filling up with exhaust smoke....

Not to mention what battle damage would do- hole one of those exhaust manifolds, and you'd fill the hull with Carbon Monoxide.   I also imagine they would make the below decks even more unbearable in warm climates- as that piping would transfer lots of heat.

• Cool 1

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
1 minute ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Not to mention what battle damage would do- hole one of those exhaust manifolds, and you'd fill the hull with Carbon Monoxide.   I also imagine they would make the below decks even more unbearable in warm climates- as that piping would transfer lots of heat.

Yes I get the sense that some Popular Mechanics brainiac came up with this, and not an actual naval architect.

"Captain the exhaust manifold got penned and we can no longer spot targets through the smoke!"

"I TOLD those dam* fools this was a bad idea! Order the main guns--opportunity fire!"

1,542 posts
26 battles

That would make a really stylish poster for someones gameroom! I love the old style of news print

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 2:36 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:
Popular Mechanics article from 1940 imagining the battleship of the future. I quite like the idea of engine exhaust pushed back to exit the stern as opposed to stacks overheard. I amped up the readability as much as I could but it will not be easy at this resolution:

Why do I get the impression the was dreamed up by the same lumnut who designed the Ratte Tank?

takom1_144p1000andmaus%20(1).jpg

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
15 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

what is that super structure.... Still... she has a nice hull. :3

Someone thought it would be a good idea to make it aerodynamic.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,027 posts
11 hours ago, Sventex said:

Someone thought it would be a good idea to make it aerodynamic.

It's obviously rounded to best deflect incoming hostile fire like a tank. :cap_haloween:

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
877 posts
7,259 battles
On 3/9/2018 at 9:38 AM, Incendiary_Tanker said:

what is that super structure.... Still... she has a nice hull. :3

According to the article, the idea is that the rounded super structure would bounce bombs dropped by aircraft. I think it looks pretty cool, like some retro-50's vibe of what "futuristic" was thought to look like.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
11 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

According to the article, the idea is that the rounded super structure would bounce bombs dropped by aircraft. I think it looks pretty cool, like some retro-50's vibe of what "futuristic" was thought to look like.

Eh, looks like a bath toy to be honest.  Rounded edges and dinky gun barrels so your kid doesn't choke on it.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I can't help but snicker and facepalm simultaneously when I see a "______ OF THE FUTURE!" that looks like it was made by an artist that got a few technical buzzwords stuck in their head and decided to play engineer. Granted, this is more sound than most (see "Dreadnought 2050" for a really egregious example), but at the same time how are those turrets supposed to turn? They butt right up against the rest of the superstructure, they're stuck in place. And I can't help but laugh at the optimism of that torpedo bulge and angled armor diagram. Sure, the torp will just slide off the hull and not detonate, of course it will.

[ERN]
Members
605 posts
8,301 battles

Interesting concept.

1,266 posts
13 battles

This would be pretty interesting and the article photos are nice.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 5:36 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

Thank for posting

On 5/12/2018 at 11:51 AM, Jazzyblaster said:

This would be pretty interesting and the article photos are nice.

Future Battleship, I think it would make a Great Idea. Maybe WG Dev team could make it up as a reward for Clan Battles?

1,266 posts
13 battles
48 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thank for posting

Future Battleship, I think it would make a Great Idea. Maybe WG Dev team could make it up as a reward for Clan Battles?

Thanks for the suggestion @Chaos_EN2!