Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dwightlooi

New TORPEDO RELOAD mechanics

13 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
131 posts
8,603 battles

WoW should consider the following upgrade to TORPEDO RELOAD mechanics.

Currently: Torpedo launchers with more tubes take longer to reload. It takes about 60 seconds to load a twin vs about more than 2 min 30 secs to reload a quintuple launcher. This both unjustly penalizes DDs with launchers featuring many tubes and does not make logical sense. Torpedoes do not individually take longer to load because a launcher has more tubes. It is also illogical that Torpedo launchers that are not fully loaded cannot be fired!

Proposition: Torpedo launchers are loaded one tube at a time (per launcher) starting with the innermost tube. The timer indicates the time remaining till the next tube is loaded. A separate bar indicator indicates how many tubes are already loaded. Each torpedo launcher (regardless of tube count) can be fired if at least one tube is loaded. You simply get a smaller spread if you do not wait for all the tubes to be loaded. If you have a quintuple launcher you'll get one loaded tube after about 30 secs, two after 60 secs, three after 90 secs, etc. You can fire them whenever you want, you just won't get the full spread if the launcher is partially loaded. This is both logical and does not unduly punish DDs with high tube count launchers. Some DDs have have slightly longer reload times per tube than others -- mainly the 450mm tubes take less time, the 533mm ones a bit longer and the 610mm the longest. But they should all be in the 30+-5 second range (a piece) and no DD has to wait 2 to 3 minutes to fire again. Basically, having launchers with many tubes allow you to charge up for bigger spreads. Having more launchers allow you to load more tubes per cycle, but the time it takes for a launcher to load one tube is about the same.

[Torpedo Reload Booster] with the revised mechanics does not actually load a torpedo tube any faster. It does however allow loading of ALL the tubes simultaneously such that when the timer reaches zero all remaining tubes are loaded instead of just one per launcher. Instead of 5 sec and 30 sec boosters, there is only ONE kind of reload booster. When activated, the booster resets the reload timer to the maximum and starts counting down. When it reaches zero, all tubes are loaded. A ship with a 35 second per tube reload time will have slower reload booster action time as a ship with a 28 sec per tube reload. If you are have 7 seconds left on a 30 second counter, hitting the reload booster resets the counter to 30 but starts loading ALL tubes simultaneously. If you are down to the LAST tube, the reload booster will not activate even if you stupidly hit it because it is illogical to waste it and cause you to actually take longer to reload that last remaining tube. Maybe it this feature should be renamed [Simultaneous Torpedo Reload].

[Spread width] of the launcher does not change when fired partially loaded. That is angle between each torpedo varies with the launcher and the ship, but it does not vary whether the tube is fully or partially loaded. The spread angle of a quintuple tube fired with three torpedoes loaded is exactly the same as the spread angle of the center three torps when the launcher is fired fully loaded. Obviously this means that partially loaded tubes have smaller total spread width.

Edited by dwightlooi
  • Cool 3

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles

As a DD pilot I like the idea of individual torp reloads but as a BB driver in like knowing that after I take that 1st volley I have plenty of time to hunt that DD down w/out having to worry about torps (especially in KM BBs).

Maybe give a 1 minute reload minimum to the 1st torp then a 15/30 second for each additional...that way BBs can still have a chance to escape when that 1st volley takes them down to only a single torp for annihilation...or at least time for repair party to kick in to survive that 1 extra torp.

[TNG]
Members
131 posts
8,603 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

As a DD pilot I like the idea of individual torp reloads but as a BB driver in like knowing that after I take that 1st volley I have plenty of time to hunt that DD down w/out having to worry about torps (especially in KM BBs).

Maybe give a 1 minute reload minimum to the 1st torp then a 15/30 second for each additional...that way BBs can still have a chance to escape when that 1st volley takes them down to only a single torp for annihilation...or at least time for repair party to kick in to survive that 1 extra torp.

Well, yes, but that singular launch is also not that damaging and more difficult to hit with. And, DDs which spend their time launching as soon as one torp is loaded instead of waiting for a spread will also miss a lot and showing your broadside every 30 secs is a sure way to get erased. It is really no different from BBs or CLs hunting a low tier DDs with twin launchers and sub 1 minute reloads or British DDs with singular tubes.

Members
1,788 posts
5,665 battles

I say lets go realistic, once the fish are gone there gone!!!!:etc_red_button:

• Funny 1

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
5 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

I say lets go realistic, once the fish are gone there gone!!!!:etc_red_button:

In the current meta you would be reducing average DD damage/battle to under 20k...not much incentive to run a DD...especially in higher tiers where that single torp that actually hits from that 1 volley of fishies gets reduced to around 10k damage from torpedo bulges.

Members
842 posts

I'm on board with moving torps to the actual number carried - in most IJN ships, there's a full second set to reload, while virtually every other ship line, there's no reload.

Then again, when this is implemented, I'd require three other things:  BB accuracy reduce to Real Life (i.e. 3% against BBs, 1% against CAs, and 0.1% against DDs) - same goes for CA accuracy;  single torpedo hits doing regularly irrecoverable damage, like blowing off the front bow of your ship, permanently disabling the rudder or engine compartment, etc.; and finally, return of actual maneuverability, where a 600m ship requires 5 km to slow from 30 to 20 knots, takes over 3km to turn 180 degrees, and takes most of a minute to even start a turn.

You want Real Life?  YOU CAN"T HANDLE REAL LIFE!   (apologies to Al Pacino)   :cap_rambo:

Edited by EAnybody

[DMOD]
Members
43 posts
4,768 battles

Ahh, realism. That's the part where a single game takes at least a couple of hours, right? ...nah, not for me, thanks.

The closest I'd like to see realism get is realistic weather effects, like some battles might be fought at night, or the storm will have visibility that varies, not so regular a progression. Goes down to 12K, up to 15K, down to 8, etc. Real weather can be irregular. 

Members
1,550 posts
8,238 battles

Hey

If we are talking realism; lets not forget that Radar could be used for as long as the captain wants.  Belfast was actually fitted with torpedo's and smoke could be had for as long as it could be produced and torpedo's quite often failed in operation, aircraft could stay in the air for hours.  For a game, do we really need to go there?  There would be more whining and complaining than any Presidential election.

Pete 

Members
970 posts
7,201 battles
4 hours ago, EAnybody said:

I'm on board with moving torps to the actual number carried - in most IJN ships, there's a full second set to reload, while virtually every other ship line, there's no reload.

Then again, when this is implemented, I'd require three other things:  BB accuracy reduce to Real Life (i.e. 3% against BBs, 1% against CAs, and 0.1% against DDs) - same goes for CA accuracy;  single torpedo hits doing regularly irrecoverable damage, like blowing off the front bow of your ship, permanently disabling the rudder or engine compartment, etc.; and finally, return of actual maneuverability, where a 600m ship requires 5 km to slow from 30 to 20 knots, takes over 3km to turn 180 degrees, and takes most of a minute to even start a turn.

You want Real Life?  YOU CAN"T HANDLE REAL LIFE!   (apologies to Al Pacino)   :cap_rambo:

I could live with 0-1 reloads but in return I'd want detection to be lowered to 300-500m and for vigilance/TAM/plane spotting to be removed.

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,369 battles

I believe that the RN DDs will have single-shot as an option for their launchers. HMAS Vampire has single-shot as an option, as do the RN CLs. Now, for each tube to be reloaded as it is fired would be nice, but not terribly necessary.

[CVA16]
Members
2,302 posts
9,888 battles
16 hours ago, EAnybody said:

You want Real Life?  YOU CAN"T HANDLE REAL LIFE!   (apologies to Al Pacino) 

Jack Nicholson?

• Cool 2

[TNG]
Members
131 posts
8,603 battles

Nobody is fighting for "realism" here. WoW is not a realistic game and will never be. If it was, you wouldn't want to play it. This is really to solve the "constipation" issue which the current (silly) torpedo reload mechanics bring to high tier destroyers with high tube count launchers.

The question is... do you want to ban taking a dump unless you are totally full of [edited]?

Sign in to follow this