You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

31 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,782 battles

With today's, yesterdays, last week, last month, last year's threads you get the idea on being uptiered I was curious so I did a forum keyword search. Uptiered produces 87 not threads but pages of threads referring to being uptiered. So if you have a complaint about it my suggestion would be don't! NO ONE AT WGing is listening or cares. Just keep spending money in the cash shop and everything will be fine.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,589 battles

It doesn't surprise me that there's so many it's been going on for a long time

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,104 battles

This latest Aigle mission is a bit of a joke. i take out a Nagato and figure I would have a fighting chance at being in the top 5 for damage. I mean I am pretty decent with it. Well forgetaboutit. Took it out twice and both times was uptierd to facing tier 9 ships. And LOTS of them. Out of 6 BBs I was the only one at tier 7. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles

Considering the official reason for the tier spread given by WG is for the lower tiered ships to be punching bags for higher tiers, the rage from some players is understandable.

WoT, after almost 10 years, finally have received +/- 1 and mirror team match ups, WoWS probably will go down the same road after it is more established.

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

This latest Aigle mission is a bit of a joke. i take out a Nagato and figure I would have a fighting chance at being in the top 5 for damage. I mean I am pretty decent with it. Well forgetaboutit. Took it out twice and both times was uptierd to facing tier 9 ships. And LOTS of them. Out of 6 BBs I was the only one at tier 7. 

I took my Bogue out, had another Bogue sealclubber in my team and the other CV‘s weren’t good. Easy top 5 win plus survival.

The recent MM is bad, WG know it (at least they said this at the WG Fest in December) and try to figure out how to solve it. 

T5 and T8 are the worst now for new player. T8 isn’t that bad for the veteran players since most ships are good (only cruisers are in a bad spot imo) and they know how to get most out of it.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,951 battles
10 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Considering the official reason for the tier spread given by WG is for the lower tiered ships to be punching bags for higher tiers, the rage from some players is understandable.

WoT, after almost 10 years, finally have received +/- 1 and mirror team match ups, WoWS probably will go down the same road after it is more established.

Frankly, if they caved there, I cannot understand the reason for holding out here. The game is not new.

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,522 battles

+2 in ships isn't as big as +2 in WOT

• Cool 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,029 battles

If I was in a Nagato facing tier 9, I would EXPECT to get top 5 in damage. You have basically tier 9 level guns, tier 8 HP and half the time you won't be shot at because a higher-tier ship is nearby. 

If you have trouble getting top 5 damage you are simply not playing well - regardless of what ship you are in. 

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,487 battles
2 minutes ago, Spyde said:

Indeed.  There are some ships that suck when uptiered, but by and large I don't care at all if I'm bottom tier.  You might have to play a bit differently, but it's hardly a guaranteed loss or a game where you won't be able to contribute if you know your ship.

I won't say that I'll cry if they changed +/-2, but I certainly would prefer for it to be left alone than for it to be changed.  And in any case, there are far more important things for WG to tinker with than a perfectly predictable game mechanic.  If you hate being bottom tier that much, just play T10.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
6 minutes ago, Spyde said:

yup...whether or not that was a conscious design decision, or a happy coincident is the question.  

[HINON]
Members
9,017 posts

Just because something is mentioned often on the forums doesn't make it a good idea. See subs for further info.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles
27 minutes ago, Spyde said:

It being worse in one game doesn't excuse it still being bad in another.

4 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Just because something is mentioned often on the forums doesn't make it a good idea. See subs for further info.

Just because it's mentioned often on the forum doesn't mean it isn't worth at least trying to acknowledge.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,029 battles

The tier spread is a good thing - it reduces queue times, adds more variety to battles and gives bad to average players a chance to do well when they are top tier. 

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles
7 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The tier spread is a good thing - it reduces queue times, adds more variety to battles and gives bad to average players a chance to do well when they are top tier. 

It's a bad thing because new players reach tier 5 and are pitted against tier 7 seal clubbers in vastly stronger ships 60-70% of the time, in their stock Furutakas and New Yorks, get frustrated, and quit.

+2/-2 MM is actively strangling the playerbase and stunting the game's growth. It won't take much to turn the currently minuscule net positive player retention into a negative and that's...not easy to recover from.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,029 battles

There are no tier 7 seal clubbers - by definition seal clubbing requires protected matchmaking, which exists up to tier 4. Tier 7 players will see tier 9 quite often.

Tier 7 ships are often not vastly stronger than tier 5 - the exceptions are mostly cruisers, which are rather borked at all tiers except 9 and 10. The solution is to fix mid-tier cruisers, not change MM. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
10 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's a bad thing because new players reach tier 5 and are pitted against tier 7 seal clubbers in vastly stronger ships 60-70% of the time, in their stock Furutakas and New Yorks, get frustrated, and quit.

+2/-2 MM is actively strangling the playerbase and stunting the game's growth. It won't take much to turn the currently minuscule net positive player retention into a negative and that's...not easy to recover from.

Pfft. I go down and club at 4 just to give them a taste. Why wait until they hit 5? That's just lost opportunities.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

All other Modes of WoWs:Ranked ,Clan Battles and Operations are regulated to -+0 and limited to 7 Ships with Restrictions on ship composition. 

These Modes are Fun and Challenging .

Then there is Random Mode with 12 v 12  -+2 {Nothing but Bit_-ing about the MM }

Is WG BLIND? Are they so determined to make the game this way because they can not admit the MM is F  ked?

There are those who say the Que times would suffer. {Prove It} Show the Data.

If -+2 is desirable then make  a Mode just for that MM, and One for -+1 Let the people choose.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,379 posts
9,538 battles

They do listen. They also know that getting uptierd is a issue only for awhile. The more experienced players learn that the added variety of battles and the crazy opportunity that being bottom tier is a good thing.

WG could do a better job of communicating this so it is less of an issue to newer players.

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,522 battles

Its easier to Club at T10.... Rather than hoping you get T5's in a T7 game.

[KSC]
Members
32 posts
3,411 battles

Been playing plenty of matches in my Normandie, getting some top tiers but mostly uptiered against VII-VIII's and honestly.... I'm not having any issues fighting in those uptiered matches.  Been going toe to toe with all the uptiered BB's with no problem.  Ok, yea sure if I show a North Carolina my broadside and he's paying attention I'm gonna get deleted but that's true anyways.

Main guns vs main guns I feel fine, the only thing that really has been getting under my skin is when someone's secondaries start opening up on me at 8-10km when I can currently only do 5.5km in return but even that can be mitigated by map awareness and intelligent terrain use.

Ok so I'm a recent convert from Mechwarrior Online where IMHO the MM is waaaay worse off with top tiered players regularly wiping the floor with what this game would call V's or even II's.  Granted that game has a way lower population and I believe it's dying on the vine but really, WoWs seems pretty decent to me.

Maybe I'll change my tune as I climb into the highest Tiers due to my admittedly limited experience, (only have 2 Tier VII's so far) but this problem seems to be.....magnified by some.  Out of all of the games I've played in my handful of Tier VI and VII ships I still see plenty of uptiered potatoes making things easier for me.  Maybe that's how they balance the matches :D

Edited by ginger63
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,104 battles
18 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

If I was in a Nagato facing tier 9, I would EXPECT to get top 5 in damage. You have basically tier 9 level guns, tier 8 HP and half the time you won't be shot at because a higher-tier ship is nearby. 

If you have trouble getting top 5 damage you are simply not playing well - regardless of what ship you are in. 

Well aren't you Mr. Wonderful. Sorry, but not all of us are as perfect as you. Some of us don't spend the time to BE Mr. Wonderful. Some of us have lives other than WOWS. Most games I've been playing the whole team scatters like a flock of sheep and there is no "ship close by". Most times you are on your own.  

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles

The difference between tier 5 vs tier 7, and tier 7 vs tier 9, is that tier 7 deals with 16 inch guns in tier 7 already. These ships are balanced and equipped to contend with these guns. Sure, their bow is penned by 16s, but their side armor sure is better equipped for it. Nagato vs Izumo is a far more balanced matchup than Kongo vs Nagato.

Or if you prefer, since I know some of you are going to go "But Nagato is OP! But Izumo sucks!", New York vs Colorado is nowhere near as even a fight as Colorado vs Iowa.

And it still works if you consider Konig vs Gneisnau, compared to Gneisnau vs Frederich der Grosse too.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Members
9,962 posts
21 hours ago, IronMike11B4O said:

With today's, yesterdays, last week, last month, last year's threads you get the idea on being uptiered I was curious so I did a forum keyword search. Uptiered produces 87 not threads but pages of threads referring to being uptiered. So if you have a complaint about it my suggestion would be don't! NO ONE AT WGing is listening or cares. Just keep spending money in the cash shop and everything will be fine.

WG flat out stated in a recent interview that the MM wasn't going to change, and that it is designed to push people to tier ten....

They continue to believe they can create a serious player base out of what we have, all evidence to the contrary....:Smile_amazed:

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
6,029 battles

The playerbase seems fine to me.

Also, 5 out of 12 is not a challenge, it's an expectation.

Members
9,962 posts
19 hours ago, paradat said:

They do listen. They also know that getting uptierd is a issue only for awhile. The more experienced players learn that the added variety of battles and the crazy opportunity that being bottom tier is a good thing.

WG could do a better job of communicating this so it is less of an issue to newer players.

Why do you continue with this fantasy? The player base will never be who you and WG want it to be, and no amount of pressure will change that....

This is a game filled with casual players, you can pretend otherwise, but it won't change the facts.

One of the main issues with WG retaining players is this issue, right here...but instead of addressing it, they continue to have the same issue.....

They are once again forced to start advertising seriously, because the bump the got from steam and Clan battles appears to be losing steam...:Smile_teethhappy:

In the middle of Clan battles and the French event, we are once again dropping numbers.......

Spoiler

hEF3StJ.png