22 comments in this topic

[JFSOC]
Members
941 posts
2,855 battles

Now, if somebody were to recover and restore a plane of two from that wreck, that'd be something to see.

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles

(Quote from the article) “The Battle of the Coral Sea was notable not only for stopping a Japanese advance but because it was the first naval engagement in history where opposing ships never came within sight of each other,”

Although it was only a 1 sided engagement (Japan attacking US) I think Pearl Harbor actually holds that title.

Beta Testers
284 posts
4,395 battles

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this. Some great images in the video... the gun, the name of the ship on the railing and the plane sitting on the bottom of the Coral Sea. Here's a picture of Lexington leaving San Diego in October 1941.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Lexington_(CV-2)_leaving_San_Diego_on_14_October_1941_(80-G-416362).jpg

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,895 posts
8,929 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

(Quote from the article) “The Battle of the Coral Sea was notable not only for stopping a Japanese advance but because it was the first naval engagement in history where opposing ships never came within sight of each other,”

Although it was only a 1 sided engagement (Japan attacking US) I think Pearl Harbor actually holds that title.

Well, American ships encountered and sunk some of the Japanese submarines at Pearl.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,079 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Splash_Bro said:

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this. Some great images in the video... the gun, the name of the ship on the railing and the plane sitting on the bottom of the Coral Sea. Here's a picture of Lexington leaving San Diego in October 1941.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Lexington_(CV-2)_leaving_San_Diego_on_14_October_1941_(80-G-416362).jpg

WG should give XP/ credit bonuses for USN CV line and and buff Lex fighters to T9 to commemorate this occasion.

[HELLS]
Members
1,704 posts
15,603 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Taranto, 1940. RN vs Regia Marina

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts

Geez, Paul, calm the **** down! Save some wrecks for other people to find!

[EDIT]: We should get this guy on the MH370 search, he'd probably find it in five minutes

• Cool 2

Members
217 posts
2,039 battles
19 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

[EDIT]: We should get this guy on the MH370 search, he'd probably find it in five minutes

I actually think that would be a good idea. That plane has been forgotten.

[D-DAY]
Members
4 posts

I agree and like with the earlier comment I think Wargaming needs to do some sort of XP special or discount for the Lexington to commemorate the wreck being found.

Alpha Tester
1,967 posts
11 hours ago, Murotsu said:

Now, if somebody were to recover and restore a plane of two from that wreck, that'd be something to see.

I would love to see a TBD Devastator in a museum. Seeing how well preserved the wrecks are, it shouldn't take much restoration work. :Smile_Default:

T-5-hero-hero.png

28701489_1610239612357585_59447776266691

28828238_1610239919024221_19295872258241

Wonder who piloted this Wildcat and did he survive. He was only one kill away from being an ace!

28701327_1610240459024167_85241006815494

F-5-2.png

28795081_1610240575690822_53656154413706

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles
12 hours ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Well, American ships encountered and sunk some of the Japanese submarines at Pearl.

Ah...good point. I would say Coral keeps the title then but...

12 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Taranto, 1940. RN vs Regia Marina

trumps it by over a year. Thank you both for your insights.

[RELSH]
Supertester
323 posts
3,956 battles

the problem with how well they are preserved right now and pulling one up to restore it is that after so long under water in a relatively low oxygen environment is that as soon as its brought to the surface is that it will begin to rust almost immediately.  Now normally they put artifacts brought to the surface from underwater into basins of solutions that stop or severely slow the corrosion process but those artifacts are generally not much larger then say a basketball backboard which I'm sure we can all agree is much much smaller then a TBD or F5F is.  

Another problem is we already have issues with....locals...salvaging metal from WW2 wrecks and its a bear trying to get them to stop due to the price of metals and how depressed those local economies are.  The moment we take a plane off the ship we basically are telling those local peoples....do what we say not what we do!   Granted while the local peoples generally don't listen to use anyways, the local navies in those areas generally do try to protect the war graves sites of both the Allied nations and those of the Imperial Japanese Navy due to their war grave statuses.  The moment we say its ok for us to remove items from a war grave by our own actions we make it harder to later turn around and tell others or even expect others not to.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

Even if redundant thread, still cool info. I think it's awesome to search for and find these pieces of history.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,139 posts
6,841 battles
16 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

An attack on ships in port isn't considered a "naval engagement" by historians because one side isn't actually at sea, they are moored in harbor.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,307 posts
9,899 battles

Unfortunately, now all the treasure hunters and wreck strippers will come calling as they have all the other wreck sites.

Beta Testers
121 posts
7,074 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Unfortunately, now all the treasure hunters and wreck strippers will come calling as they have all the other wreck sites.

Considering she is over 2 miles down, good luck to them.

[JFSOC]
Members
941 posts
2,855 battles
17 minutes ago, muswp1 said:

Considering she is over 2 miles down, good luck to them.

No kidding!  That's three figures in millions territory for anything serious.  That's why they haven't stripped Titanic.

Beta Testers
121 posts
7,074 battles
18 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Or have him go find the 4 Japanese carriers at Midway that Ballard never found

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
3 hours ago, muswp1 said:

Or have him go find the 4 Japanese carriers at Midway that Ballard never found

They found pieces of Kaga in 99'