You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Texas_Vet

moving to a different country

16 comments in this topic

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

There is a very good chance that I will be moving from Nevada to South Korea.  So my question:  Is it possible to move my account from NA to ASIA?  The lag I am experiencing while being in Korea is pretty bad, so I need to consider an alternative solution. 

I do hope that the best solution is NOT to open up a new account on the Asia servers.  If so, can I use my same login name on the different server?

Tks....

[HINON]
Supertester
19,222 posts
12,740 battles
6 minutes ago, Texas_Vet said:

I do hope that the best solution is NOT to open up a new account on the Asia servers.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to come down to that. WG does not offer a server migration option, accounts are region specific.

Members
4,554 posts
6,470 battles

Good luck in S Korea. Pls park your ship just off the coast of Korea beside the 38th parallel.  You may be needed.:Smile_honoring:

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Good luck in S Korea. Pls park your ship just off the coast of Korea beside the 38th parallel.  You may be needed.:Smile_honoring:

My US cruisers would come in handy....

But just got to Tier 9 Baltimore.  Would hate to grind from scratch again on the Asian server.  My current LAN performance sucks (ISP issue).  Hmmmm, maybe a different ISP?

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Considering you're off to the E-sports capital of the world, finding a stable internet connection for the NA servers shouldn't be too tough... acquiring it at a reasonable cost on the other hand.. 

[ZR]
Members
960 posts
11,286 battles

I live in and play from South Korea.  There is a difference in gameplay due to ping but its really not bad.  Ive been at about 100ms on average.

Not sure what other lag you would have as the standard internet here is usually at around 1gb/sec.

[WGA]
[WGA]
1,117 posts
3,388 battles

I have a few friends who play on NA who are from Asia (Singapore to be exact). They're getting around 80-100 ping and it's not so bad. They're on a fiber connection I believe.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

To be honest, I am using a neighbors WiFi connection from across the street.  Yes, distance from the hotspot does impact performance.   We will be shopping for our new place over the next few days.  My wife is native born in S. Korea, and we are going to probably retire here.  Our money will last so much better, I love the food, and there is massive intellectual stimulation of all sorts!  On top, I get to learn to understand, speak, comprehend, read and write a new language!

That should keep my mind healthy as I turn into a crusty old fart.

:cap_wander::Smile_great::Smile_hiding::Smile_trollface:

Members
273 posts
4,724 battles

If you are able to get a ping of around 100 there I would just continue playing on this server. I live in Australia and my ping is the same whether I play on the SEA server or the NA one. It hovers between 105 to 110 and that doesn't cause any issues with the game. Quite honestly I would stick with the NA server if I were you. Despite complaints about the level of team work/Communication on this server there is almost none on the SEA one. 

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles
On 3/6/2018 at 2:16 PM, Terkoz said:

If you are able to get a ping of around 100 there I would just continue playing on this server. I live in Australia and my ping is the same whether I play on the SEA server or the NA one. It hovers between 105 to 110 and that doesn't cause any issues with the game. Quite honestly I would stick with the NA server if I were you. Despite complaints about the level of team work/Communication on this server there is almost none on the SEA one. 

The teamwork part is kinda important, just a little bit.  That is like saying that your dentist says you only need a little bit of a root canal or the IRS wants to audit you just a little bit.  Or worse, your 15 year old daughter tells you she is only a little bit pregnant.

I did find a good connection, and will have it for a few more days then we are off to Wonju in Gangwan-do provence (east of Seoul, not far from the east coast).    MountainManixDan, where do you live (or stationed)?  If you want to reply in a PM, that would be fine....

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

He's probably on a military connection.  You'll have to use an asia account.  you can use your same info

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

Crzyhawk, I do like your signature.  I am thinking I may look for an abbreviated Blue Screen of Death.  Last time I saw one (Win 95/98) was at a movie theater, using one of those old things as the projector data source.  Happened in Silicon Valley.  Now that was funny!

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

Fun times.  Last week, my wife and her sister went to visit a next door neighbor (farming community north of Daegu).  My wife got attacked by one of the dogs and we have spent the last week in a hospital.  Completely ruined our trip.  Deep fang bite on her leg and another one top of her hand, took the flesh off so you can see muscles and bones.  Hope to be released soon.

Talk about throwing a wrench into the works....

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,481 battles

Well, thus ends the drama.  Way too much drama with the Korean relatives and their neighbors.  Plus the nasty pollution from China has now hit hard.  So we are NOT going to move to South Korea.  There are multiple horror stories that I could tell, but that would probably not be appropriate on this form.  And yes, there is alot of good as well, but the pollution and the drama are the two negative factors for our decision.  So, back home in a few days......

Members
3 posts
1,529 battles

Spring is the worst time of the year for pollution in Korea.  The wind out of the middle of the continent picks up dust in the Gobi Desert and blows it through China's industrial northeast where it chemically bonds with all kinds of stuff that doesn't get scrubbed out of their factories.  Then it starts falling over the Yellow Sea, Korea, and farther east.  At least that's how it was when I lived there ('99 and '00).  Yellow dust, they called it.  It might be better now.  The Koreans were trying to sell anti-pollution tech to the Chinese at the time.  That won't fix the drama with the Korean in-laws however.  Good luck wherever you end up.