You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

18 comments in this topic

Members
61 posts
366 battles

I was looking through the selection of premium ships and saw one ship that caught my eye, the USS Enterprise. It looked pretty great, especially with these stats: 

Related imageEnterprise was a carrier constructed in 1938 using the last tonnage reserved in the Washington naval treaty. It was the second of three Yorktown class aircraft carriers.  Similar to an enlarged and improved ranger, and using knowledge learned from the first three classes of carriers: the mighty Lexington class, the small and slow Langley, and the purpose-built Ranger. It was armed with 8 5" MK24 38 cal guns. It operated an air wing of almost 100 aircraft and was close in size (50ft, as close as most ships get)  and was capable of operating larger aircraft as they came along. At the outbreak of Pearl Harbor and ww2, she pulled into port to give out much-needed supplies. During the battle of midway, she helped sink Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu. She also played a major role in the Philippines and Leyte Gulf. She was overhauled in 1943 and became much more efficient carrier, getting improvements and making her similar to the Essex class carriers. She earned 20 battle stars, presidential unit citation, WWII citation, American campaign medal and many more. 

That's pretty great, assuming that the Enterprise in-game can live up to the achievements. Its the most expensive premium ship in the game, at 14k doubloons, and I'll have to save for it quite a bit. Is it worth it? How is its armor, secondaries and hull stuff, because I sometimes have a tendance to be the last person alive and circled by a small cruiser or a destroyer. How is its air group compared to the other premium, the Saipan? Plz tell me, I'd like to have a lot of info about it and how it plays. thanks

• Cool 1

[USNGL]
Members
85 posts
4,378 battles

I have both Enterprise and Saipan and I do love both of them.

Of the two I think Enterprise is the better carrier. It has never ending fighters unless you're stupid and waste them and it's one of two US carriers to have 2x torp bombers. Which makes it strike capability really strong. But the piece de resistance in my opinion is the dive bombers. A lot of people have issues with the AP bombs but I don't really have them as 9/10 when I take my Enterprise there are always nice battleships to annihilate with my AP Dive bombers. More often then not I can straight out kill a Gnesiasu or a Scharnhorst in one pass no problem. If I get lucky I can do the same to a Bismarck or a Tirpitz ( rarer to one hit one of those). For me it's my second best carrier only my Midway does better.

Saipan is a solid carrier but I feel as if the strike power proportionally isn't as great as the Enterprise but its fighters are a lot stronger. You can easily rule the skies with a saipan especially if you're against a ranger or a kaga. 

To answer your other questions. Armor and hull points are right around average for a carrier so nothing special. Secondaries are usual for carriers in terms that they are god awful. Though if you are often getting attacked by enemy ships directly you are doing something wrong. 

Hope this helps. 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,795 posts
7,021 battles

My advice : don't buy Enterprise until you have played and researched CVs from tier 4 to 8, have mercy on the rest of us and learn some of the intricacies of CV gameplay before taking one to random battles. Speaking as a hypocrit.

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

I havent played my Enterprise in a while, while I do like her she has a large learning curve due to her Tier VII Planes so at times she can be hit or miss.

[RLGN]
Members
8,244 posts
17,255 battles
53 minutes ago, C6tom said:

I have both Enterprise and Saipan and I do love both of them.

I couldn't disagree more. Neither one is worth the money.

One is too dependant on it's team to produce damage, and either has divebombers that are too slow to reload, or torpedobombers that evaporate too fast from AA. (DESPITE what so many have said; that they are so fast they're not exposed to AA very long; my experience has been otherwise.)

The other has planes at a tier (Tier 7,) that will be nothing but anhilliated by the tier AA they are most likely to see, (Tiers 9 and 10.) (My experience with other T8 carriers, is that you are NEVER top tier enough to make the grief of being bottom-tiered and up against lunatic AA worth it.)

Members
27 posts
1,112 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I couldn't disagree more. Neither one is worth the money.

One is too dependant on it's team to produce damage, and either has divebombers that are too slow to reload, or torpedobombers that evaporate too fast from AA. (DESPITE what so many have said; that they are so fast they're not exposed to AA very long; my experience has been otherwise.)

The other has planes at a tier (Tier 7,) that will be nothing but anhilliated by the tier AA they are most likely to see, (Tiers 9 and 10.) (My experience with other T8 carriers, is that you are NEVER top tier enough to make the grief of being bottom-tiered and up against lunatic AA worth it.)

I don't know how long you've been playing with the Saipan and Enterprise but I haven't anything on your list to be much of an issue. As far as statistics are concerned however the Saipan is 2nd best in class for win rate after the Kaga and the Enterprise is the best in class for tier 8 carriers.

[RLGN]
Members
8,244 posts
17,255 battles
1 minute ago, crazyquest said:

I don't know how long you've been playing with the Saipan and Enterprise but I haven't anything on your list to be much of an issue. As far as statistics are concerned however the Saipan is 2nd best in class for win rate after the Kaga and the Enterprise is the best in class for tier 8 carriers.

I don’t doubt what you say, now or before, because there’s been plenty of personal testimony to that effect. However my personal experience has been otherwise.

Divebombers producing no damage, even with manual drops, (hooray for module damage...) and torpedobombers evaporating before they can do anything.

Unless you’re someone like Fara, iChase, or that girl who is a crack CV driver; trying to play high tier carriers is a waste of time.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Enterprise has a hanger full of power and a butt full of explosives. I think she's a fun ship to play and her history makes her worth collecting 

[BOX]
[BOX]
Beta Testers
49 posts
14,122 battles
On 3/7/2018 at 12:14 PM, WolfofWarship said:

Enterprise has a hanger full of power and a butt full of explosives. I think she's a fun ship to play and her history makes her worth collecting 

agrees, waiting for it to be in store again

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 3:28 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

I don’t doubt what you say, now or before, because there’s been plenty of personal testimony to that effect. However my personal experience has been otherwise.

Divebombers producing no damage, even with manual drops, (hooray for module damage...) and torpedobombers evaporating before they can do anything.

Unless you’re someone like Fara, iChase, or that girl who is a crack CV driver; trying to play high tier carriers is a waste of time.

I think that perhaps you've just gotten unlucky.  I've made runs on Montana's and had most of my airwing come back intact.  Not trying to marginalize your experience,  I am sure you're telling us how things have gone for you,  just that in my experience things are usually different.

Members
61 posts
366 battles

Thanks, I'll keep your advice in mind. One question, how does it stack up with other t8 and t9 carriers?

Members
2,281 posts
4,107 battles
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, FirebirdXIV said:

I was looking through the selection of premium ships and saw one ship that caught my eye, the USS Enterprise. It looked pretty great, especially with these stats: 

Related imageEnterprise was a carrier constructed in 1938 using the last tonnage reserved in the Washington naval treaty. It was the second of three Yorktown class aircraft carriers.  Similar to an enlarged and improved ranger, and using knowledge learned from the first three classes of carriers: the mighty Lexington class, the small and slow Langley, and the purpose-built Ranger. It was armed with 8 5" MK24 38 cal guns. It operated an air wing of almost 100 aircraft and was close in size (50ft, as close as most ships get)  and was capable of operating larger aircraft as they came along. At the outbreak of Pearl Harbor and ww2, she pulled into port to give out much-needed supplies. During the battle of midway, she helped sink Kaga, Akagi, Soryu, and Hiryu. She also played a major role in the Philippines and Leyte Gulf. She was overhauled in 1943 and became much more efficient carrier, getting improvements and making her similar to the Essex class carriers. She earned 20 battle stars, presidential unit citation, WWII citation, American campaign medal and many more. 

That's pretty great, assuming that the Enterprise in-game can live up to the achievements. Its the most expensive premium ship in the game, at 14k doubloons, and I'll have to save for it quite a bit. Is it worth it? How is its armor, secondaries and hull stuff, because I sometimes have a tendance to be the last person alive and circled by a small cruiser or a destroyer. How is its air group compared to the other premium, the Saipan? Plz tell me, I'd like to have a lot of info about it and how it plays. thanks

Short answer is yes it is worth it.

The only thing I have not fought is the current GZ and I don't see GZ being to much of a problem. Enterprise owned last season of Ranked and have not checked this season.

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles

It's not a CV for new players, owing to the combination of skewed plane reserves, awkward torpedo drop pattern, and the situational usefulness of AP bombs.

Enterprise's strengths come from the very good loadout (2-2-2) and individual planes-per-squadron number, a large fighter reserve, USN strafes, and the ability of AP bombs to delete certain ships.

A competent player will bleed all other CVs dry of planes while deleting certain ships with AP bombs and nuking the rest with torpedoes.

A novice player will struggle with properly setting up a torpedo or dive bomber drop (or selecting a target for AP bombs—hint: destroyers aren't good targets) and not constantly hemorrhaging its lower tier planes until they've been completely defanged of bombers and/or fighters.

Members
61 posts
366 battles

Graf Zepplin? That's back in the game??? Is that something I should also consider? what is that like? 

[USNGL]
Members
85 posts
4,378 battles
5 hours ago, FirebirdXIV said:

Graf Zepplin? That's back in the game??? Is that something I should also consider? what is that like? 

Graf Zeppelin is fantastic/OP in all departments but Fighters. An Enterprise can completely annihilate a GZ in the air assuming equal skilled captains. GZ has fantastic strike capability and can delete things with ease.  I prefer my Enterprise however as GZ isn't strong enough in the air for my liking. It also has great secondaries for a carrier. 

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

It is definitely worth it.  One of my favorite ships.  Played for control of the air it is the best.  I made a whiner from the clan RELIC reeee at me and call me a clickerprise even though I caught him napping twice, clear sky'd him, and sunk three ships (to his none).  It is a glorious and just bote.  Only problem is that the torpedoes have a horrible pattern and you have to aim them entirely different than any other ship.  I just try a head on anvil and hope to hit two or three, because there is nothing you can do to maximize hits with them.  More likely you will just be hoping they hit.

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,258 battles

Enterprise was very good till they nerfed AP bomber's on it ......Graf Zepplin  AP bomber's delete player's .....Enterprise 2 squad's ....4 to 8 k and fry on home boy ..... HE doz more dam now .