You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

All powerful Radar

561 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
731 posts
5,907 battles

The logical counter-play to radar should be concealment behind an island - but the fact WG devs have made Radar function through island masses turns the concept of Radar into an all powerful "spot anything no matter" type of consumable.  On top of that WG makes another blunder and placed radar on a very popular BB - many upper tier games end up having 2-3 MO's per side and they just sequentially time their radar to perma-spot ahead of themselves - open ocean or inner islands makes no difference.

There should be a counter-play to radar beyond just running from a ship that has it.  The logical (and factual) method to avoid radar should be ship placement in relation to a land mass - meaning radar should not work through islands and light up everything in a certain radius.  Radar should only be a counter-play to ships sitting in smoke, DD's in open water within its range, and torps.   Radar should not be a "press this button" to spot everything in a certain range consumable.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 4

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,265 battles
1 minute ago, GiN_nTonic said:

The logical counter-play to radar should be concealment behind an island - but the fact WG devs have made Radar function through island masses turns the concept of Radar into an all powerful "spot anything no matter" type of consumable.  On top of that WG makes another blunder and placed radar on a very popular BB - many upper tier games end up having 2-3 MO's per side and they just sequentially time their radar to perma-spot ahead of themselves - open ocean or inner islands makes no difference.

There should be a counter-play to radar beyond just running from a ship that has it.  The logical (and factual) method to avoid radar should be ship placement in relation to a land mass - meaning radar should not work through islands and light up everything in a certain radius.  Radar should only be a counter-play to ships sitting in smoke, DD's in open water within its range, and torps.   Radar should not be a "press this button" to spot everything in a certain range consumable.

Instead of making a new thread every weak why dont you go and post on one that has already been made. This game has and never will be a complete realistic experiance. The game needed something to compete with dd smoke so radar got adopted. Dont like it dont play the game

• Cool 13
  • Bad 7

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

It'd be a welcome change, but it's one that isn't coming. They'd rather we play around it,  over Wargaming having to code around it.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

I think they're efforts are better focused on fixing the stupid slow rendering than trying to fix radar, which mainly only affects one class, vs rendering issues, which affects every class

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
12 minutes ago, GiN_nTonic said:

The logical counter-play to radar

Is not to hide behind an Island, is to not go near a radar equipped ship in one where it's a problem to be spotted for ~45 seconds. Don't bang your head against a wall and complain the wall is too hard.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,637 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

I think they're efforts are better focused on fixing the stupid slow rendering than trying to fix radar, which mainly only affects one class, vs rendering issues, which affects every class

Yep. The rendering is the biggest issue presently... followed by the CV rework. 

Beta Testers
1,839 posts
10,762 battles

No. Radar isn't powerful enough in the game. They still can't focus beams on a DD and cook it outright yet. /s

• Funny 2

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
5 minutes ago, chewonit said:

No. Radar isn't powerful enough in the game. They still can't focus beams on a DD and cook it outright yet. /s

You forgot about the through mountains part though!

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
7 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Is not to hide behind an Island, is to not go near a radar equipped ship in one where it's a problem to be spotted for ~45 seconds. Don't bang your head against a wall and complain the wall is too hard.

So you win by not playing at all. Got it. #balanz

Edited by Canadatron
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
6 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

As a CV main, I understand DDs frustration with radar. It's similar to def fire. It not only makes the ship using it off limits for a time, but all ships near it. Then there's a limited window to reapproach before it is available again, and that's assuming another ship near them doesn't carry the consumable as well, which is not the case many times.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
9 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Yes, the all powerful stealth bot DD's have a total of *1* enemy, not even 1 class, just *1* subset of 1 class, they can't get a free win on. God the DD Mafia is relentless. Just like a BB facing down a lone shima has to play against the whills of that Shima, so too does that Shima act at the behest of the lone CA that happens to have Radar, oh and btw, that radar only works for 45 seconds or so and then is on cooldown for several minutes. CA's get to bully 1 class without repute in the game, and that class will not stfu about being the entitled little [edited] they are cause *1* time they have to deal with being the hunted.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,848 posts
9,604 battles
15 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

So DDs need to avoid caps when there are radar ships in play. Got it.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Yes. Just like a BB has to avoid caps where a Shima is present. If it's fair for the goose, it's fair for the gander.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

Yes. Just like a BB has to avoid caps where a Shima is present. If it's fair for the goose, it's fair for the gander.

You seem to have been traumatized by this "Shima".... care to explain? I might add that all Destroyers are not Shima and Shima is not all Destroyers. Keep that in mind, you're projecting.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,848 posts
9,604 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

Nice non sequitur.

Please explain how the presence of a Shima within 10k of a BB, even when on the other side of an island, negates a BBs armor so all other ships no longer have to deal with the armor for 20-56 seconds. Because that is what you are arguing.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,848 posts
9,604 battles
5 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

You seem to have been traumatized by this "Shima".... care to explain? I might add that all Destroyers are not Shima and Shima is not all Destroyers. Keep that in mind, you're projecting.

Someone should tell him about the WASD hack. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

BBs have allegies to cap and would rather camp   at spawn.  :cap_yes:   muh 25km range and will use every bit of it. 

• Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

It's intuitive that islands should block radar, but for gameplay purposes, WG has just decided that radar will simply reveal everything within a certain distance. Hydro does this as well, as does proximity detection, which what the heck is that even?

From a gameplay rather than realism standpoint, letting it go through islands means that radar ships can park in key tactical positions and be safe while radaring. If they had to get within line of sight of the target, they'd necessarily need to be in the open to radar. I guess WG figured they'd rather not force cruisers to take even bigger risks to do their jobs, so X-ray vision it is.

As for counterplay, get somewhere safe before the radar hits (that's why they keep putting islands in the middle of caps) or get out and come back during the cooldown.

• Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,265 battles
2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Nice non sequitur.

Please explain how the presence of a Shima within 10k of a BB, even when on the other side of an island, negates a BBs armor so all other ships no longer have to deal with the armor for 20-56 seconds. Because that is what you are arguing.

What the [edited] are you saying? Thats not what theyre saying at all

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

I don't like destroyers, but agree with the OP - the radar-through-islands bit is ridiculous.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles
9 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

All Cruisers don't have Radar.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

If that's the accepted course of play that Battleships, Cruisers, and other types can agree upon if there are Radar ships, I'm cool with it, honest! I just don't want to be called out because I don't go balls deep into the cap when we don't yet know the location of any radar equipped ships. This happens all too frequently. At first radar was still fairly uncommon, now after the proliferation of Missouri, buffs to Radar, buffs to ships WITH Radar, lol, ect...it's not uncommon to face teams with 4 or 5 radar ships.

I haven't scoped your stats, so I don't know if you play Destroyer much, but that's kinda how it's presented to Destroyers in game. If you get wiped by Radar while trying to push, spot and cap, you're a crapper. If you play like you value your ship and understand DD is all about the long game, you can look pretty selfish at times. The onus is on the team to identify and remove radar ships, radar is a big deal when it comes to winning games. 

If I roll up on a cap with a BB and a Croozer and there are 2 radar ships in amongst 3-4 ships I should just leave my side high and dry until the radars are put down? I mean I could but I don't know if I could do that as a good teammate. AND, If I did they'd be right here posting that "in my last game the DD peeled off and left me alone to die, that's why I never push". Damned if you do, Damned if you Don't. No different than anything in life. If anything Radar makes me play more selfishly as a DD player. It's ok, I'm adjusting to it and enjoying using it on Atlanta and Payfast.

None of this are really complaints from me, I chalk it up to that's the game I play. I've accepted it but I don't really like the -how- it plays. part, hehe. I just wanted to provide a bit of context from my perspective as someone finally pushing into higher tiers play in the current gameplay environment. DD really suffers from poor teamplay, they are support boats at best in most scenarios and the other ship types need to remember that too.

Cheers!

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,753 posts
3,490 battles

So what do Cruisers do then? Sit around and get torpedoed without anyway to fight back, or get shelled by BBs off the map when it can't counter spot the DD? 2016 called, and it was brutally bad to be a Cruiser and just be toyed with for 20 mins by your PREY.

And if there weren't CVs in the game then what? We had to sacrafice Hydro for DF, just in case.

We don't survive like BBs, we don't delete anything unless we basically commit suicide to use torpedoes, if we even have them.

DDs are better at torping.

BBs are better at deleting, and baring rare exceptions damage.

What's the real issue here? Being midly unconvinced for 45 seconds?

• Cool 3

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,733 posts
7,733 battles
1 minute ago, Madwolf05 said:

So what do Cruisers do then?

Be the punching bag for every other class. 

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles
3 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

So what do Cruisers do then? Sit around and get torpedoed without anyway to fight back, or get shelled by BBs off the map when it can't counter spot the DD? 2016 called, and it was brutally bad to be a Cruiser and just be toyed with for 20 mins by your PREY.

And if there weren't CVs in the game then what? We had to sacrafice Hydro for DF, just in case.

We don't survive like BBs, we don't delete anything unless we basically commit suicide to use torpedoes, if we even have them.

DDs are better at torping.

BBs are better at deleting, and baring rare exceptions damage.

What's the real issue here? Being midly unconvinced for 45 seconds?

For those that hate radar, this was the game before radar 

• Bad 1