You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
So_lt_Goes

Line Split..Your first impressions?

39 comments in this topic

[ICE9]
Members
836 posts

Disclaimer: I own and play the Des Moines, Hindenburg, Atago, and Kutuzov. I'm a cruiser guy.

That said, what do experienced US cruiser drivers think of the concepts behind the US line split, at least as much as we know now. I've read the forums, watched all the YouTube videos, and formed a preliminary opinion:

From a ship performance aspect, it's a big nothingburger. It's just a revenue-generator, adding nothing to the excitement, or rather frustration, of mid-tier US cruisers. Same old low HP, insane AA, decent AP penetration, crappy shell scatter,  retarded shell arc/speed at long range, and all the other usual US CA "qualities".

The mighty Cleveland is going to be hammered again, with a de facto nerf by being permanently up-tiered. I'll probably sell mine after the split.

The new T9 Buffalo is going to be more like a White Elephant, just a gimmicky gap-filler because WG didn't feel like adding a Northampton or Wichita CA mid-tier. Since I already have the DM, why bother?

Wondering if the down-graded Pepsi, NOLA, and Balto are going to be nerfed into irrelevance in the process. Have to wait and see the final stats.

For history buffs like me, the Helena is a nice cosmetic addition. Have to wait and see how it plays. Same for Worcester.

I plan on Public Testing them when it happens. For now, this is just my initial impression.  What's your take?

[OPG]
[OPG]
Members
137 posts
7,330 battles

They have not released the changes to the cruisers when being downgraded; but I already know I will probably never touch any ship in that line ever again when it does happen. As you can probably easily see that I run the Pensacola quite often and with a full secondary build. This means that when the ship moves down to tier 6 that she will no longer have the 60% dispersion bonus. I have over 150+ secondary kills and I am always looking to get more because she is just that great. My 3 favorite ships in the American CA line are the Pensacola, Des Moines and New Orleans. When the New Orleans is moved down to tier 7, it will not be as effective as it once was. Upon the move, the cruiser will lose the upgrade slot that brings its concealment down to 9.1. (Even though the secondaries on the New Orleans are the exact same in every way as the Pensacola, upon receiving the secondary range buff a few months back, it had glitched the dispersion to be the same as ships like Baltimore and Des Moines, which are very inaccurate even with the full secondary build.)

I don't know how I will exactly react, but I can assure you, 90% of it will probably be disappointment; I am not looking forward to the cruiser split and part of me wishes it will never happen at all. When it does I will probably just stick to playing my tier 10s as usual.  

P.S I have 1300+ battles in the Pensa, so this isnt [edited]. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
21 hours ago, TF77 said:

Disclaimer: I own and play the Des Moines, Hindenburg, Atago, and Kutuzov. I'm a cruiser guy.

That said, what do experienced US cruiser drivers think of the concepts behind the US line split, at least as much as we know now. I've read the forums, watched all the YouTube videos, and formed a preliminary opinion:

From a ship performance aspect, it's a big nothingburger. It's just a revenue-generator, adding nothing to the excitement, or rather frustration, of mid-tier US cruisers. Same old low HP, insane AA, decent AP penetration, crappy shell scatter,  retarded shell arc/speed at long range, and all the other usual US CA "qualities".

The mighty Cleveland is going to be hammered again, with a de facto nerf by being permanently up-tiered. I'll probably sell mine after the split.

The new T9 Buffalo is going to be more like a White Elephant, just a gimmicky gap-filler because WG didn't feel like adding a Northampton or Wichita CA mid-tier. Since I already have the DM, why bother?

Wondering if the down-graded Pepsi, NOLA, and Balto are going to be nerfed into irrelevance in the process. Have to wait and see the final stats.

For history buffs like me, the Helena is a nice cosmetic addition. Have to wait and see how it plays. Same for Worcester.

I plan on Public Testing them when it happens. For now, this is just my initial impression.  What's your take?

Im a DD/CL/CA/BB/CV gal, i play everything. Rarely find ships that i fully hate and thats because RNG [edited] hates me in the ship.

overall i love british cruisers and i love the massive USN AP that pens from every angle. Therefore when i look at worcester and think hey that looks like a Memotaur and Meme Moines hate [edited] into some monster DD hunter i think my general impression is good

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,602 battles

I'm ready for the split.

I have enough doubloons in my account to return the captains to where they belong, after they are randomly tossed all over the new ship tree.

I have ground up 36,500 HP on my Omaha to kick off the Dallas.  My original US cruiser line is complete, with all ships in permanent camo.

The new T10 CL will need to be evaluated for Clan Battles..  What mission?  How does it fit into strategy?  Radar Range?  Hydro range? Other tricks?

Apart from that....   yawn... whatever.

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles

I am actually kind of intrigued by the new ships. The Buffalo looks to be a good looking ship that is similar to the Hindenburg without torpedoes. I am also interested to see what they do with the high tier CLs. If they give something like Worcester the ability to fire HE, it could be a nightmare at high tiers. I'm definitely going to wait and see before I pass judgement on it, though, because a lot can change between now and then.

[ICE9]
Members
836 posts
10 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

when i look at worcester and think hey that looks like a Memotaur and Meme Moines hate fcked into some monster DD hunter

That is a pretty good description from what I've heard.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
2 minutes ago, TF77 said:

Yup mainly got the idea from deadpool. xD  Mainly i play Minotaur/DM/Hindy/Henry/Zao/ Moskva/Yamato/Monty/Conq/ Grosser/Hakaryu/Midway/ Z-52/ gearing/ shimakaze/Akizuki/ Khaba so im excited for new tier tens to work on

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,449 battles

dd's , the scourge of the earth finally a ship to really deal with them, but i must say des moines has been most effective especially in clan battles t

hus far....

Edited by spook_1971
  • Boring 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
5 minutes ago, andarragh21 said:

I am actually kind of intrigued by the new ships. The Buffalo looks to be a good looking ship that is similar to the Hindenburg without torpedoes. I am also interested to see what they do with the high tier CLs. If they give something like Worcester the ability to fire HE, it could be a nightmare at high tiers. I'm definitely going to wait and see before I pass judgement on it, though, because a lot can change between now and then.

Buffalo HAS torpedos! Think they are simillar to atlanta's with 2x4 533mm

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,449 battles
4 minutes ago, TF77 said:

dd's , the scourge of the earth finally a ship to really deal with them, but i must say des moines has been most effective especially in clan battles thus far....

• Boring 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, spook_1971 said:

dd's , the scourge of the earth finally a ship to really deal with them, but i must say des moines has been most effective especially in clan battles thus far....

Actually my moskva is quite destructive towards dd's in CB

Members
40 posts
4,323 battles
1 minute ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Buffalo HAS torpedos! Think they are simillar to atlanta's with 2x4 533mm

Huh. Hadn't seen that anywhere (in fact, I saw people complaining it SHOULD have torpedos based on the original design). If they gave it torps, it would be a very interesting ship for the USN.

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,449 battles
Just now, JessieTheKitty said:

Actually my moskva is quite destructive towards dd's in CB

yes but the Moskva radar active time is too short fer me compared to my 60 second radar in Des moines!, whats the point of having 2000km radar if it lasts for 18 seconds, i can literally chase dd's down with hydro active as well, dd fcked' can u say.... and yes i have the radar special upgrade

Members
644 posts
4,271 battles

Why is everyone going mental before the stats for the ships aren't released yet? Yes, the New Orleans is going to lose the upgrade slot that lets it get it's concealment down to 9.1km. Maybe it's base concealment will be adjusted to compensate or maybe 9.1km concealment is a bit much at tier 7 anyways.

Yes, the much beloved Cleveland is going to get moved to tier 8. It's going to get the additional upgrade slot which you can use to drop it's concealment and naturally have it's other stats modified to increase HP and possibly gun range. Maybe you'll end up with a smoke-less/torpedo-less Edinburgh with a citadel that's harder to hit? 

Almost everything is conjecture right now. Yes, WG doesn't always make the right choices but they very often do so give them a chance before going entirely off the rails.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
3 minutes ago, andarragh21 said:

Huh. Hadn't seen that anywhere (in fact, I saw people complaining it SHOULD have torpedos based on the original design). If they gave it torps, it would be a very interesting ship for the USN.

No people where bithing about how it shouldnt have torpedos since only 6 other USN cruisers have torpedos (2 of which arnt premiums) so people wont know how to use them. Lol fcking idiots as if veterans are going to forget HOW TO USE TORPEDOS when they play USN cruisers

Edited by JessieTheKitty
  • Funny 1

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
7 minutes ago, spook_1971 said:

yes but the Moskva radar active time is too short fer me compared to my 60 second radar in Des moines!, whats the point of having 2000km radar if it lasts for 18 seconds, i can literally chase dd's down with hydro active as well, dd fcked' can u say.... and yes i have the radar special upgrade

Eh DM cs moskva. Well sure DM shoots faster  and can radar for nearly a min. However that radar is short 10km and DM also has pretty bad dispersion/shell arcs and overall slowish speed.

however moskva is slightly faster allowing to chase dd's easier and also has the firing arcs of a russian mad man. The shells  touch the water on the way over thats how. F L A T they are. Also 11.7km radar with radar mod allows you to at least break the engine one or twice which then allows you to chase down the dd for the kill

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[TWF-2]
[TWF-2]
Members
95 posts
14,449 battles
1 minute ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Eh DM cs moskva. Well sure DM shoots faster  and can radar for nearly a min. However that radar is short 10km and DM also has pretty bad dispersion/shell arcs and overall slowish speed.

however moskva is slightly faster allowing to chase dd's easier and also has the firing arcs of a russian mad man. The shells  touch the water on the way over thats how. F L A T they are. Also 11.7km radar with radar mod allows you to at least break the engine one or twice which then allows you to chase down the dd for the kill

10 k is all u need honestly what is another 1.2 km in range really going to accomplish in such a short amount of time, i'd rather had more time than more range :fish_viking:

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
1 minute ago, spook_1971 said:

10 k is all u need honestly what is another 1.2 km in range really going to accomplish in such a short amount of time, i'd rather had more time than more range :fish_viking:

Tbh most strategic positions on CB are just out of DM radar reach. Therefore allowing moskva radar supreme. Also having played gearing/moskva/z-52/DM this CB i can tell you when i play DD i mainly fear moskvas over DM since DM's firing arcs/dispersion make it harder to hit DD's 10km+ meanwhile moskva can easily hit DD's at 16-17km

[BLUMR]
Members
2,049 posts
7,233 battles
6 minutes ago, spook_1971 said:

Also moskva's are overall a second battleship consdiering they can take. A LOT of damage and can do a lot of damage too

should i also mention the stalinlium shells that citadel everything? Never fired HE that game

IMG_3223.JPG

Edited by JessieTheKitty

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
622 posts

I just love the people who think ships that are moving are going to stay the same - just moved tiers.

My first impression of the Cruiser Split is ........ LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!  

Been saving FXP, coin and training Captains since Christmas to go as far down the line as I can.  The heck with the French BB's/Clan Battles/Ranked or anything else.

Cleveland will HAVE to be buffed in its move to tier VIII.  I am not expecting Pensacola, New Orleans nor Baltimore to be the same either.  They will be changed (significantly if needed) to be competitive - not overpowered at their new tiers.  I am going in with the expectation that they will look the same but perform much differently - good or bad.

Helena, Dallas and Buffalo will be at least decent in their own rights.  Look to the current Cleveland at tier VI for a similar performance in Dallas.  The first Buffalo iteration did not have torps - I believe it is the base "A" hull and may change with the second hull.  Helena in my mind will be similar to the Myoko without torps and an increased DPM as there are going to be more shells flying (RoF increased?)  

Worchester has been described as the "Man's Minotaur".  Ok, so Minotaur without smoke and better armor.  I can deal with that.

Overall:  They are not here yet and it is all just speculation, even the public testing will not be the same ships.  

Good or bad...they are US cruisers and I want them all.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,114 battles
58 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I have ground up 36,500 HP on my Omaha to kick off the Dallas.  My original US cruiser line is complete, with all ships in permanent camo.

Is this really going to be necessary, considering Omaha is part of the main line?  If you have Pensacola already, won't you been given access to Dallas in the first place?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,602 battles
31 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Is this really going to be necessary, considering Omaha is part of the main line?  If you have Pensacola already, won't you been given access to Dallas in the first place?

Nothing is promised.  I just tossed a 1 point captain onto a B Hull Omaha and burned off the single daily bonus in co-op.  Couple months later, I have a 6 point cap I can toss onto these new cruisers to see if they are dogs.

Yes, there is past split history, but this US cruiser split is going to be entirely different.

For the first time, we are bringing ships DOWN a tier, instead of just up.

This is a tree that has very few US Premium ships. 

Atlanta is not available for the moment, and Indy gets stomped as matched with New Orleans.

I'm assuming nothing here.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,904 posts
10,265 battles
4 hours ago, Zarenno said:

They have not released the changes to the cruisers when being downgraded; but I already know I will probably never touch any ship in that line ever again when it does happen. As you can probably easily see that I run the Pensacola quite often and with a full secondary build. This means that when the ship moves down to tier 6 that she will no longer have the 60% dispersion bonus. I have over 150+ secondary kills and I am always looking to get more because she is just that great. My 3 favorite ships in the American CA line are the Pensacola, Des Moines and New Orleans. When the New Orleans is moved down to tier 7, it will not be as effective as it once was. Upon the move, the cruiser will lose the upgrade slot that brings its concealment down to 9.1. (Even though the secondaries on the New Orleans are the exact same in every way as the Pensacola, upon receiving the secondary range buff a few months back, it had glitched the dispersion to be the same as ships like Baltimore and Des Moines, which are very inaccurate even with the full secondary build.)

I don't know how I will exactly react, but I can assure you, 90% of it will probably be disappointment; I am not looking forward to the cruiser split and part of me wishes it will never happen at all. When it does I will probably just stick to playing my tier 10s as usual.  

P.S I have 1300+ battles in the Pensa, so this isnt [edited]. 

Well as you say, we don't know the exact numbers yet.  As always I will give each ship a try for two dozen games or so and see.  I have assumptions of what to expect, but until they finalize and release what the numbers are we just don't know how they will play.

[TNG]
Members
131 posts
8,600 battles

I don't like it... a bunch of fictitious ships while eschewing the well known and historical Alaska.

I sucked with US Cruisers... like 32% sucked... until I realize that they are totally incapable of fighting anything with a line of sight to fire back at them. US ships are totally "island" ships which must hide behind terrain, rely on 3rd party spotting and lob shells over islands. Get detected in the open and you are dead in 20 seconds. The line split doesn't change this dynamic and it's sad.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Members
137 posts
7,330 battles
1 hour ago, dwightlooi said:

I don't like it... a bunch of fictitious ships while eschewing the well known and historical Alaska.

I sucked with US Cruisers... like 32% sucked... until I realize that they are totally incapable of fighting anything with a line of sight to fire back at them. US ships are totally "island" ships which must hide behind terrain, rely on 3rd party spotting and lob shells over islands. Get detected in the open and you are dead in 20 seconds. The line split doesn't change this dynamic and it's sad.

Dwight, you and I have very different opinions on the line, I liked all the spots but the Cleveland, and Baltimore. I quite enjoy the way it is now, and in my opinion, the pensa and New Orleans are not much of island campers as the Des Moines would have you think. These 2 shops are very maneuverable with pensa boasting a tight 620m turning circle. I think that the split will take what I currently enjoy about the line, cut it into pieces, and throw the remains at the player base. I am just bracing myself for the day the splot comes out, the day my Pensacola will retire..