You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
M8i

So the Turenne has the same layout as the Nassau and Kawachi?

8 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
1,899 battles

Its the Mortal Kombat Ninja palette swaps but with ships!

• Bad 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,546 battles

Well, a lot of early dreadnoughts were evolved versions of the 12" main gun, 8" secondary gun pre-dreadnoughts.Hardly surprising that they all look alike. Turenne is basically a Danton class built as a dreadnought instead of a semi-dreadnought.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
1 hour ago, M8i said:

Its the Mortal Kombat Ninja palette swaps but with ships!

You [edited]idiot. They are dreadnoughts, every country copied the other when it came to Dreadnoughts. Besides why do you care? They are WW I ships. Also they are not the same, not even [edited]close. All three ships have different main battery guns powerplants and secondary guns. We all know you are an idiot no need to continue to prove it now do the universe a favor and

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,182 battles
3 hours ago, MutsuKaiNi said:

e31.jpg.1b4d08b5bb9b012021e06088314b980a.jpg

If you knew the history of this idiot you would agree with me that every time he opens his mouth or post on these forums the collective I.Q of the human race decreases.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

You are all wrong actually... this is the French semi-dreadnought Danton, which they Frankensteined into this ship, not wanting the powerful secondary layout the Danton had. It's big mistake, both historically and game-wise in my view. The Danton would have been a much more interesting ship (and historical!). I listed her in my pre-dreadnought & dreadnought thread. Have a look and vote on this issue please.

Danton:

Spoiler

59739b3d682bd_FFDanton.jpg.64a435f025d2c7d31f602162259b2b89.jpg

Notes

This unique semi-dreadnought would make an interesting Tier III battleship. While her main guns would put her at a disadvantage against other battleships and dreadnoughts, her unusual array of rapid-firing secondary guns, 6 x 9 inch per side, would make her very effective against enemy cruisers and destroyers.

Danton was laid down in Brest in February 1906, launched on 4 July 1909, and commissioned into the French Navy on 1 June 1911 and displaced 19,736 metric tons with a crew of 681 officers and enlisted men. She was powered by four steam turbines with 26 boilers, the first French warship to use turbines, providing a top speed of around 19 knots (35 km/h; 22 mph).

Danton's main battery consisted of four 12 inch guns mounted in two twin gun turrets, one forward and one aft. The secondary battery consisted of twelve 9 inch guns in twin turrets, three on either side of the ship. A number of smaller guns were carried for defense against torpedo boats. The ship was also armed with two 17.7 inch torpedo tubes. The ship's main belt armour was 10.6 inches thick and the main battery was protected by up to 11.8 inches of armour. The conning tower also had 11.8 inch thick sides.

In July 1909, a week after she was completed, she was sent to the United Kingdom in honour of the coronation of King George V in 1911. Upon her return to France, Danton was assigned to the 1st Battle Squadron, along with her sister ships and the two powerful dreadnoughts Courbet and Jean Bart. In 1913, while  in the Mediterranean, Danton suffered an explosion in one of her gun turrets, which killed three men and injured several others.

Danton served in World War I in the French Mediterranean Fleet. At the outbreak of the war in early August 1914, she was assigned to guard convoys bringing French soldiers from North Africa, to protect from attack by the German battlecruiser Goeben and light cruiser Breslau, which were operating in the area. At the time, she remained in the 1st Battle Squadron alongside her sister ships, and by 16 August, moved with the bulk of the French fleet from Malta to the entrance of the Adriatic to keep the Austro-Hungarian Navy bottled up.

Danton was torpedoed by U-64 on 19 March 1917, 22 miles south-west of Sardinia. The battleship was returning to duty from a refit in Toulon and was bound for the Greek island of Corfu to join the Allied blockade of the Strait of Otranto. Danton was carrying more men than normal, as many were crew members of other ships at Corfu, and had been zig-zagging to foil enemy submarines. The ship sank in 45 minutes; 806 men were rescued by the destroyer Massue and nearby patrol boats, but 296, including Captain Delage, went down with the ship. Massue attacked U-64 with depth charges, but the U-boat successfully evaded her attacker.

The location of the wreck remained a mystery until an underwater survey team inadvertently discovered the battleship in December 2007. In February 2009, the wreck was confirmed to be Danton. The ship is in remarkably good shape for her age. Danton rests upright on the ocean floor, and most of the original equipment is reported to be intact.

My pre-dreadnought thread:

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 10:04 AM, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, a lot of early dreadnoughts were evolved versions of the 12" main gun, 8" secondary gun pre-dreadnoughts.Hardly surprising that they all look alike. Turenne is basically a Danton class built as a dreadnought instead of a semi-dreadnought.

Yes and I was really disappointed they didn't go with the Danton herself. With a really powerful secondary array she would have been a great anti--DD and cruiser BB adding her unique presence to the line as a semi-dreadnought.