Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Kudos to WG: the French BB intro was great

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,739
[INTEL]
Members
8,588 posts
25,732 battles

Super thanks to WG. I had saved credits and XP and prepared 3 19 point captains and piled up elite captain points for a long time, looking forward to the French BBs, and WHAM got a reward.

1. The French battleships are both good and fun, for the most part. I kept Normandie which I have a sneaking fondness for, love the Lyon, hated Richeliu at first but have now like it, and just got Alsace (seems whee fun!). Great ships all. That was good work.

2. The loot handouts were excellent. Plenty of stuff in the challenges and missions. Many thanks for that.

3. The Glory of France campaign was also pretty darn good. I have a stockpile of French mission camos for grinding stuff in the future, and got a ton of useful signals. Thanks.

4. The Hermes Operation is also really good. It's possible to lose even if you make it through to the end with the Rouan undamaged because some bot DD might still hit torps. Balanced on a knife-edge, and thus, tense til the end. I've gone in there with 6 experienced division buddies and cleaned up five stars, only to do it the next game and not get a single star. That's great work by the devs. Kudos.

Can't thank you all enough. Excellent job with the French BBs. Keep up the good work!

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,261
[PVE]
Members
9,767 posts
7,478 battles
25 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Super thanks to WG. I had saved credits and XP and prepared 3 19 point captains and piled up elite captain points for a long time, looking forward to the French BBs, and WHAM got a reward.

1. The French battleships are both good and fun, for the most part. I kept Normandie which I have a sneaking fondness for, love the Lyon, hated Richeliu at first but have now like it, and just got Alsace (seems whee fun!). Great ships all. That was good work.

2. The loot handouts were excellent. Plenty of stuff in the challenges and missions. Many thanks for that.

3. The Glory of France campaign was also pretty darn good. I have a stockpile of French mission camos for grinding stuff in the future, and got a ton of useful signals. Thanks.

4. The Hermes Operation is also really good. It's possible to lose even if you make it through to the end with the Rouan undamaged because some bot DD might still hit torps. Balanced on a knife-edge, and thus, tense til the end. I've gone in there with 6 experienced division buddies and cleaned up five stars, only to do it the next game and not get a single star. That's great work by the devs. Kudos.

Can't thank you all enough. Excellent job with the French BBs. Keep up the good work!

 

I liked all the camo and especially the missions for the T5-T8 BBs. That saved me over 32.6M silver and since I keep all the ships, I'm perpetually out of silver. It also cut down on all the games with the same 5-8 battleships in the match since people were starting at different levels.

 

Great roll out for the French BBs. @Pigeon_of_War, @Radar_X and the rest of the staff are doing great work.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,486
[O_O]
Members
4,420 posts
9,575 battles

I got the mission for the T5, so I am happy about that.  I wish I could have gotten missions for the T6-8, as well, but I suppose we can't have everything.  I am not finished with the campaign, yet, so I am hoping I can still get one (are missions for the BB's still dropping?).  I know plenty of players didn't get a BB mission...I am curious how many (if any) got all missions without buying any crates?

The 2nd stage of the Gold of France campaign is pretty time consuming.  That's a lot of ribbons to get, and I have to do Task 1 and 2 twice each to complete the stage.  My best ship for the job is La Galissonniere.  Algerie doesn't have enough guns and her ROF isn't high enough.  I don't yet have Aigle (thrilled for another free premium, though! :cap_like:) and as said above, I don't have a T8+ French BB.

*Edit -- Just got a mission for the Normandie...:cap_win:

 

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,237 posts

After Richie the Gascone and Allspice [sic] are unimaginative paper battleships.   The Gascone is just the Allspice with one gun removed or the Allspice is just the Gascone with one gun added.  The Allspice is just the Richie stretched with a turret on the back and a few forward facing secondaries.  I figured WG would try to not make it so obvious those 3 ships were copy pasta.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
434
[-BRS-]
Members
1,639 posts
13,614 battles

I didn't get any bb's out of the event

I still enjoyed the event though:cap_like:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
709
[USCC2]
Members
3,576 posts

I have to thank WG for allowing me to play a campaign solely in Co-Op! :cap_like:

I had already won the Tier V and VI BB missions/BBs, but don't really enjoy playing BBs (never lost in one though!). However, once the campaign was released and I had a chance to take part at the level in which I enjoy playing, I bought the Aigle to do so! I've got my signals, my consumables, my patch additions and my new Captain to put in the Aigle.

I genuinely appreciate the chance to play the game in the way I enjoy playing and was happy to spend money to do so(and yes, I know the main prizes were camos for BBs, but let me be happy with the opportunity just to be saturated by multiple missions for a change lol). :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles

I concur, great content.  Got 3 French BBs free of charge, including Richelieu with a very nice looking perm camo and soon to be 19 point captain with solid perks.  All that without spending any money on loot crates.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,266 posts
13 battles

Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed the event. Thanks for the feedback. :)

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,261
[PVE]
Members
9,767 posts
7,478 battles
5 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I got the mission for the T5, so I am happy about that.  I wish I could have gotten missions for the T6-8, as well, but I suppose we can't have everything.  I am not finished with the campaign, yet, so I am hoping I can still get one (are missions for the BB's still dropping?).  I know plenty of players didn't get a BB mission...I am curious how many (if any) got all missions without buying any crates?

The 2nd stage of the Gold of France campaign is pretty time consuming.  That's a lot of ribbons to get, and I have to do Task 1 and 2 twice each to complete the stage.  My best ship for the job is La Galissonniere.  Algerie doesn't have enough guns and her ROF isn't high enough.  I don't yet have Aigle (thrilled for another free premium, though! :cap_like:) and as said above, I don't have a T8+ French BB.

 

 

Yes, the missions are still dropping. I got Richelieu yesterday. I know some who got them without buying crates. I bought some as I'm a PvE main and I knew I would not finish Part 1 that was in PvP.  I got Bretange and Normandie from the boxes I bought and got Lyon and Richelieu from the PvE set of Part 2 missions.

 

 

1 minute ago, StoptheViolins said:

After Richie the Gascone and Allspice [sic] are unimaginative paper battleships.   The Gascone is just the Allspice with one gun removed or the Allspice is just the Gascone with one gun added.  The Allspice is just the Richie stretched with a turret on the back and a few forward facing secondaries.  I figured WG would try to not make it so obvious those 3 ships were copy pasta.

Well you could say that Gascogne is a Richelieu with the guns split. It plays similar to Graf Spee. I am a PvE main and a secondary spec Gascogne in PvE is a blast. 10.1km secondaries. I'm really looking forward to Bismarck now.


 

2 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I have to thank WG for allowing me to play a campaign solely in Co-Op! :cap_like:

I had already won the Tier V and VI BB missions/BBs, but don't really enjoy playing BBs (never lost in one though!). However, once the campaign was released and I had a chance to take part at the level in which I enjoy playing, I bought the Aigle to do so! I've got my signals, my consumables, my patch additions and my new Captain to put in the Aigle.

I genuinely appreciate the chance to play the game in the way I enjoy playing and was happy to spend money to do so(and yes, I know the main prizes were camos for BBs, but let me be happy with the opportunity just to be saturated by multiple missions for a change lol). :Smile_honoring:

Yes, having a lot of PvE missions was awesome.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
180
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,237 posts

I didn't say they were terrible to play, just they look so much the same.  Aside from bow tanking in the Richie, they all play pretty much the same.

On topic, yup the whole even has been fun (somewhat frustrating getting the Richie mission but I understood WG's logic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,418
[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,580 battles
7 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

I didn't say they were terrible to play, just they look so much the same.  Aside from bow tanking in the Richie, they all play pretty much the same.

On topic, yup the whole even has been fun (somewhat frustrating getting the Richie mission but I understood WG's logic).

Of course they look the same. Alsace was France’s next evolution of design from Richy.

And yes, I do agree the event was fun and I liked the way they rolled them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236
[WOLF2]
Members
892 posts
7,263 battles

The Gold of France has been good for my Saint-Louis to Henri IV grind.    No BBs from the container drops, and with everything going on (Campaign, Aigle marathon), I only have my entry-point T3 BB in port.   It'll be a long grind, and without a T8 French BB, those BB portions of the campaign will remain unfinished (will finish the campaign, but not 100%).

I'll get a Henri IV out of the effort, so I'm happy.  Lot's for French camos, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,640 posts
7,476 battles
20 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

After Richie the Gascone and Allspice [sic] are unimaginative paper battleships.   The Gascone is just the Allspice with one gun removed or the Allspice is just the Gascone with one gun added.  The Allspice is just the Richie stretched with a turret on the back and a few forward facing secondaries.  I figured WG would try to not make it so obvious those 3 ships were copy pasta.

That's what happens when you introduce lines of nations that feature unbuilt designs, which no nation is exempt from. However all the ships you listed were based off real life designs, such as the way the german battleships FDG and Kurfursto are based off the respective H-class proposals, which are arguably more "unimaginative" in simply being heavier Bismarcks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
9 posts
2,798 battles

I enjoyed the event as well and thought it was well thought out.  One can only hope when the Russian BB's come out they follow a similar designed rollout.  

Plenty of warning, time to build some captains, a way to acquire a unique commander and some 5-8 tiers with little risk to see how you like them and to ease you into them.  Followed by a rollout with events immediately post rollout to build upon them further and acquire the T9 and T10 ships.   

For complaints sometimes thrown WG's way they deserve a pat on the back for this one imo. Well done.

 

Quote

 

Edited by Timeband

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
418 posts
6,137 battles

One of the best lines they've added in a while, together with a bunch of great events. I had lost some interest in BBs, after I got the GK, the Yamato, and the Missouri. The British BBs, OP or not, were really uninteristing and I couldn't bother to go past the Queen Elizabeth. But damn, the French are fun. The guns may be inaccurate, but they hit hard, and AP is generally the way to go, although the HE is pretty strong. Currently I'm at the Richelieu, halfway to the Alsace, and I liked every BB in this line so much that I'm actually keeping all of them in my port from tier 6 to 10, something that I never do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
435
[VW]
Members
1,940 posts
12,499 battles

I really enjoyed the event as well. Am looking forward to completing the aigle missons, just wish they were available faster, instead of every other day. I got the bret before release, and the normandie after i bought her. Was a fun idea to be able to win them before launch. Also enjoyed the gold campaign, i had missed the previous opportunity to grab the Dunkerque camo. The operation was excellent as well and fun to be able to win dubloons. Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,864 posts
8,938 battles

Lyon is great fun and probably OP. Gascogne and Richeleu need buffs. Hermes is excellent imo. Maid of Orleans camo is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[BUOY]
Members
189 posts
7,871 battles

Overall, I'm really enjoying the event

Things I like: That the Aigle can be earned and thus I can get Gold of France with Honors for free if I work for it. Operation Hermes is very neat, if a bit buggy. Liking the French BB line itself a lot so far, got the T5 and 6 missions. 

Things I feel could've been improved: The lack of communication regarding French Crates in that Part 1 didn't contain nearly enough earnable crates to have any confidence of finishing the collection and it could only be speculated that WG wouldn't leave people high and dry. This was combined with the fact that the French BB missions have the first truly bad drop rate of any rarer item WG has put out in crates that weren't $1 Santa Boxes, I really like WOWS crates usually, but after reading the threads where people were buying $450 worth and getting 2 missions I passed on these. I feel the event would've been much better if the ship missions were for Tiers 3-6 with a far more generous drop rate and the incentive for buying crates was in pulling all four missions / completing the collection and otherwise being like Yamamoto and Bismarck crates in having the chance to get a 'double crate' (instead of having a chance to pull a Richelieu right off the bat balanced with the fact that you're not gonna pull it :fish_palm:). Tying in to this is making the BB mission for 'Gold of France' T8 and above (or even just T8 and above AND Dunkerque) when all the other missions are T6 and above. I have a Dunkerque and am loving the Normandie, it's a shame neither of those count for the BB mission even though you earn a Dunkerque perma camo for completing stage 1. Finally, you could cut the ribbon requirements for Stage 2 in half and it would still be more grindy than stages 1 and 3 combined. I pity anyone who doesn't have an Atlanta / Minotaur and don't realize it's far quicker to grind / freexp a French line to T6 than getting 10,800 ribbons in randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,521
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

I like the packaging of the new content into a multi-pronged thing with a multiple patch cycle theme. It works a lot better than "blap here's a ship line enjoy".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×