Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
I_Am_Taras_Bulba

Best Destroyer in Each Tier

4 comments in this topic

[12-AF]
Members
25 posts
2,674 battles

Am curious on what destroyer (all nations) would be the best in each tier, including Premium as well?

Members
26 posts
5,973 battles

There are so many varying opinions that it's impossible to give a good answer to this question.  It might be easier if you can define what "best" means to you.   Best capper?  Best at torping BB's? Best for dealing with radar cruisers? Best at smoking and gunning?  Best DD hunter?  Best vs. CV's?   Most fun to play?

DD's can fulfill a lot of roles for a team or a div depending on matchmaking and the map, which is one of the things I love about the: versatility.   DD's are often considered the most important ships to destroy first because of this.  A team without DD's is at a great disadvantage.  

If you can, please help us answer by providing what "best" means to you.

• Cool 1

[NETSI]
Members
72 posts
7,772 battles

As a DD, I think playing the objectives is one of the most important factor to winning, so some generalizations I'll focus on.

In terms of objective play and capture, US DDs are easily on top of the list from tier 7 to tier 10 due to a mixture of their high rate of fire in knife fighting and maneuverability while being stealthy. At close range, they have almost no flaws for a DD that I essentially see them as the perfect baseline class for DDs, with high regards for Benson and Fletcher as arguably the best DDs in the game for a team to always have.

You can argue that German DDs are also very good at this but the only reason would be because they can pull off a smoke + hydro combination to shutdown another DD within 5km. However, their RoF and DPM generally will not match an equally skilled US DD player most of the time in a close range open water gunfight. 

PADDs (non-premium) from tier 8 - 10 are basically US DDs without torps in a contested objective. This makes them slightly worse than German DDs at objective play because the threat of torps is a huge factor in keeping enemy DDs from aggressively pressing forward carelessly. However they can generally pull off what US DDs can do to a certain point and win objectives. In terms of premium PADDs, Lo Yang wins over the Benson by being a hybrid of German and US DD.

IJN DDs at almost every tier (except Akizuki) can only hope to win a capture by being uncontested, landing a lucky torp hit, or hoping friendly cruisers or BBs are nearby. In a 1v1 scenario with any other DD, they will lose at close range if they are not kiting away. The combination of these random factors make them some of the most inconsistent to play and easily shut out of the objectives with an enemy US, German, or PADD nearby. While it can win objectives sometimes, US DDs can accomplish the same thing with far better ease. IJN DDs are simply designed for other roles, such as target sniping capital ships outside of objective play, which is why we see many Shimas refusing to enter a cap early game.

Russian DDs are objectively the worst destroyers by this generalization, because they aren't to be played as destroyers at all (with some exceptions like Ognevoi). They generally cannot afford to lose HP trying to get into a cap zone early game, but they can carry a lot of weight in the endgame captures by being the fastest ships in the game. The problem is in practice, most of the matches are decided by the time endgame is reached that stealing a cap won't heavily influence a clear sided outcome.

• Cool 1

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Personal picks (my opinion only).  Please bear in mind I haven't played any of the PA DDs, except Anshan and Lo-Yang.

T1 - None.

T2 - Who cares.

T3 - What ever.

T4 - Tie - Izy/V-170.

T5 - Fujin/Kami sisters - and it ain't even close.  Yes I have Gremy.

T6 - Shinome.

T7 - 4 way tie - Sims, Shira, Leningrad, Maas.

T8 - Benson.

T9 - All of them - ha ha!  Z-46, Yugumo, Udaloi, and Fletcher are all awesome DDs.  Tash is pretty useful, as well - but I prefer Udaloi.

T10 - Z-52.  Khab is the stronger ship, but the 52 is far and away more versatile and more fun to play.

Sign in to follow this