You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TarasBulba_

Best Cruiser in Each Tier

54 comments in this topic

Members
87 posts
3,720 battles

I feel like making a list, though, under the criteria of being my favorites. So still the best, under a certain point of view.

Tier 1: Hashidate. This ship certainly needs a little help to keep up with other T1 ships, but that’s not too bad being swarmed by bots. The nice bit of being in the Hashidate is just how maneuverable she is, plus she has a 360 frontal turret and can change direction of her kiting on a whim.

Tier 2: Still having difficulty deciding this one, really it is the true tier one and nothing really interesting has shown up yet. Dresden can be entertaining considering even her guns overmatch all cruisers she will see.

Tier 3: Bogatyr. One of those ship just covered in guns though has some slight differences to St. Louis like twin turrets. Though mainly the deal breaker for me was the publicity like WG’s video on her and AL’s Pamiat’ Merkuria. The lack of AA is overstated, t4 carriers are trash and you are an odd tier so you naturally get less CV games.

Tier 4: Kuma. I personally prefer the Sendai class but we don’t have one so Kuma is the best I can get. Oddball gun caliber and the guns are quite strong, plus some torpedoes. Not much to say, just everything you would expect from a Japanese light cruiser. I guess it’s too bad Japan weren’t interested in new ones to the point of not even drawing new ones up. 

Tier 5: Omaha. Another fun little gun boat, definitely good dakka for the tier. Her gun angles are quite good too, she can do the unusual feat of bringing almost a broadside’s worth of firepower straight forward. Again not much to say other than good guns and neat history. You would have to go down the premium route if you want more from the torps.

Tier 6: Also an area that I’m undecided, which I find a little ironic. Though there are certainly fun things like secondary build Pensacola, which reminds me that I should complain that commander skills still don’t offer much choice. This tier is also home to unique cruisers like Graf Spee. I should look a little harder.

Tier 7: Myōkō. Lots of guns, though still not quite into the identity of being stealthy. The torps make for a strong deterrent, though we still aren’t where we can use them offensively. Also I’m 90% sure that Zaō based on a preliminary Myōkō. As impressive as the stuff they crammed onto her, they still wanted more, which probably would have resulted in a Hatsuharu scenario. T7 is also home to New Orleans, which is also an awesome cruiser.

Tier 8: Albemarle. Nope I’m 100% serious. The guns certainly leave some to be desired, but Albemarle does everything you expect from a tank. Her armor simply works in the right hands, such as deck tanking 16” shells. She has a ton of health and more heal than you know what to do with, of course if you aren’t careful, HE just won’t care. She can taunt, she has a large citadel, everyone and their mother wants a piece of it, then their AP bounces off, but surely the next shot will citadel. She has non tank abilities like nasty AA and god tier torpedo angles, seriously she can joust a 15” battleship. 

Tier 9: Roon. I found her to be a breath of fresh air compared to Hipper, I guess that heal is necessary and my reach felt good. However at the end of the day, the reason I liked Roon is to get up close and gun people down with German AP. A cruiser winning a 2v1 with battleships is a great feeling. Though much like torpedo jousting, there is a time and place. AL Roon is a little terrifying for me though...

Tier 10: Look at me, I built up hype just to say I don’t really play t10. I’ve been meaning to play more Hindenburg though, but my credits...

[WOLF3]
Members
31,043 posts
26,068 battles
On 3/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, thehelmsman said:

Yeah, Baltimore's reputation in the early years of the game was not at all flattering. I actually skipped it on the way to Des Moines, because of that, and only ever bought it to get a free tier 8 when they did the split, after which I sold Buffalo.

I'll never work out why WG gave us papership designs at tier 9 after the split, when there are two perfectly good classes that they omitted, which in real life were actually built, represented an incremental improvement on their predecessors, and served to fill the gap between Baltimore/Cleveland and Des Moines/Worcester as the ultimate, final form of USN gun cruiser. Those two classes were Oregon City and Fargo. They would have been much better fits for the tech tree and the progression of their respective lines, and the simple fact that they'd have been tier 9, with access to Repair Party and the 6th upgrade slot, would have been enough to separate them from the tier 8s.

--Helms

Before her buffs yeah, Baltimore was really bad.  The US Cruiser Grind was not a pleasant experience at the time:

VI Cleveland - Damn Gud.

VII Pensacola - Target Drone.

VIII New Orleans - Deader Target Drone.

IX Baltimore - "Stop! Stop!  He's already dead!"  Just pure misery.

X Des Moines - The Promised Land.

US Cruisers were so bad that WG over the course of a year or so, did numerous waves of buffs to Pensacola, NOLA, and Baltimore.  The buffs didn't help them, except for Baltimore, who suddenly became a good ship.  It took a good while for her reputation to be salvaged though.  Unfortunately it didn't last due to the US Cruiser Split changing things.  Baltimore right now in Tier VIII is a pale shadow of her former, post buff Tier IX version.

When I did my initial US Cruiser Line grind, it was before any of those changes came into place.  I actually played and tried to grind through Baltimore.  I thought she'd be a better experience because she was clearly a newer looking, more advanced design than Pensacola and New Orleans.  But the experience was horrible and I threw the towel in, waved the white flag, and FreeXP'd the rest to Des Moines.  My results with old IX Baltimore when I did that were awful.

After the buffs were all done, I had already been on Des Moines for a good while and got pretty decent with her.  I decided to give post buffs Baltimore a try again in an effort to reverse my awful stats.  This was back in 2017.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:07 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Just as a sort of progress report of how things have gone since my initial post.  I wasn't playing Baltimore hardcore since her buffs but I have dived into her here and there.

For reference, here are my stats with Baltimore when I started this thread, still found in my initial post:

sEhbELR.jpg

Here it is as of today.

GkRhBQd.jpg

I specialize her for the short ranged fight around islands.  I dropped Defensive Fire in favor of Hydro.  That in concert with proper Radar use, makes her a danger in close confines.  The AP will shred other ships, even BBs, especially when the range is short.  I still prefer not to engage at range unless I got cover or I have other ships to "get lost" in the mix with.  I still am terrified about the prospect of trading shots at range in open water against any BB or those Tier X or some of those Tier IX Cruisers.  Some maps are easier to play this style with, some hard.  Okinawa is a rough one, especially anywhere outside of Cap A.

Altogether I like this ship a lot, quite different from before the buffs.  It's no Roon, no Ibuki, no Dmitri Donskoi in playstyle.  The only other ship that plays like her seeking short ranged fights is Neptune.

I built her, played her just like I would Des Moines, only difference was she fired a bit slower.

The best part of my old Baltimore re-run was ambushing a Divisioned Iowa who had a bunch of HP still.  I came around an island and got in close and was just Citadeling the sh*t out of her broadsides.  19 Baltimore shells for 62.3k damage on an Iowa.  Managed to keep Citadeling and sink the Iowa before that ship's Baltimore division mate got me.  Iowa for a Heavy Cruiser?  My team was happy for that trade. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GC]
Alpha Tester
945 posts
4,369 battles

I never thought the OG New Orleans was all that terrible, actually. Good concealment, radar, hydro, and snappy guns gave it a bit of a niche as a DD hunter. Or at least that's how I ran mine.

--Helms

[WOLF3]
Members
31,043 posts
26,068 battles
On 7/9/2021 at 4:44 PM, thehelmsman said:

I never thought the OG New Orleans was all that terrible, actually. Good concealment, radar, hydro, and snappy guns gave it a bit of a niche as a DD hunter. Or at least that's how I ran mine.

--Helms

The Old VIII NOLA after her buffs was a far superior version to what it was before, but it never did that well in general, and it still had the bad stigma.  Izumo had the same thing happen to it.