You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
I_Am_Taras_Bulba

Best Cruiser in Each Tier

20 comments in this topic

[12-AF]
Members
23 posts
2,631 battles

Hi all,

Am curious on what cruiser (all nations) would be the best in each tier, including Premium as well?

Members
842 posts

You can't really do this. The cruisers are enough different in what they're good at that isn't not really possible to pick "best" all the time.

I'd rather rate them "Bad", "OK", "Good", "Great". I'm not gonna do T4 and below, because it's been so long that I can't remember.

here's my take on the tech-tree (non-premium) ones, and this is aimed at the "average" player: 

The ones I mark with a * are kinda gimmicky/situational. They will work MUCH better than the rating in certain situations, but not in most.

Likewise, the ones in RED require a considerable learning curve to perform up to the rating; if you don't put in that time, consider them one step worse.

Tier USA IJN USSR KM French RN
5 OK OK OK OK Bad Bad
6 Great OK Good Bad OK Good
7 OK Good OK Good Good Great
8 OK Good OK Bad OK Good
9 Good OK Good Good Good Good
10 Great Good Good Great OK Good

I don't have experience in all the premium, so I'm basing some of this from what I've seen in the forums and playing against them:

USA:

• T5 Marblehead: OK
  • T7 Atlanta: OK *
  • T7 Indianpolis:  Bad *

IJN: 

• T8 Atago:  Good

USSR:

• T5 Murmansk:  OK
  • T5 Kransy Krym: Bad
  • T6 Molotov: Bad *
  • T6 Adm Makarov: Bad
  • T8 Mikhail Kutuzov: Good *

KM:

• T6 Adm Graf Spee: Good
  • T8 Prinz Eugen: Bad

French:

• T6 De Grasse: OK *

British:

• T7 Belfast: Great

Pan-Asian:

• T6 Huanghe: OK *

Commonwealth:

• T6 Perth: OK *

Italian:

• T6 Duca d'Aosta: Good

Take this all with a HUGE BAG OF SALT. 

It's my personal preferences, which depend heavily on MY PERSONAL PLAYSTYLE, as well as my reading of how the ship would perform in the "average" person's hands.  I'm not elite, but I'm pretty good, so how I or someone better than me can do in a given ship is not reflective of how it performs for most people.

Edited by EAnybody
Fixed table width, corrected Graf Spee tier
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles

@EAnybody

Sadly, dude, your table is too wide for your post, at least for me, unless I really unzoom the page so much that the font is so small that it's just barely readable for me.

EDIT:

Regarding your ratings, I can't quite agree with all of them, but don't take this as a harsh criticism, because it's not.

I don't know why people think that Indianapolis is bad.  It seems ok to me.  Good range with OK HE and good AP.  Has radar, though the ship is more of a kiter to me.  Is it squishy?  Sure, but so many cruisers are.  And I really don't depend on most cruisers to repel much in the way of damage.

I also don't see the Molotov as "bad".  Seems more of an OK to me.  It's sort of like the Spee, just a lot softer with fewer HP but more accurate guns.

And I kind of see the K-berg and N-berg as being about one rating grade higher.  The K-berg seems quite good at tier 5, but the N-berg is only bearable at tier 6 because its guns aren't an upgrade over the K-berg's guns.  (For what it's worth, I loved the K-berg way back when I played through her.)

Not sure why the Duca is "good" while the De Grasse is only "OK".  I'd have reversed those.  I don't like the Duca's limited 14km gun range, and find the De Grasse's 16.2 gun range much more comfortable.

As for the USN's T8-T10 cruisers, the ratings seem on the mark, though I'd have probably marked them in red as having a bit of a learning curve because they're really not your average long range kiting cruiser.  The Baltimore and Des Moines particular seem to favor fighting in the mid ranges, due to their low shell velocities.

Oh, and I don't know how you can call the T5 French cruiser bad, but the T6 OK.  I'd have absolutely flipped those.  I found the Emile Bertain to be quite good.  Maybe even worthy of a "good" rating.  But the Le Gal.... shudder.  Not so much.  

And to be honest, part of me wants to call the Marblehead and Murmansk (and I suppose the Omaha, though it's been a while since I played her) "good" rather than OK.  But I suppose that's because I find them very comfortable to play and I do well in them.  I had a shockingly good 154k damage in my Marblehead (or was it the Murmansk) today.

Regardless, nice chart and good presentation.  Kudos. :Smile_great:

Edited by Crucis

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
10 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

You can't really do this. The cruisers are enough different in what they're good at that isn't not really possible to pick "best" all the time.

I'd rather rate them "Bad", "OK", "Good", "Great". I'm not gonna do T4 and below, because it's been so long that I can't remember.

here's my take on the tech-tree (non-premium) ones, and this is aimed at the "average" player: 

The ones I mark with a * are kinda gimmicky/situational. They will work MUCH better than the rating in certain situations, but not in most.

Likewise, the ones in RED require a considerable learning curve to perform up to the rating; if you don't put in that time, consider them one step worse.

5 OK OK OK OK Bad Bad
8 OK Good OK Bad OK Good

I don't have experience in all the premium, so I'm basing some of this from what I've seen in the forums and playing against them:

USA:

•  

IJN: 

USSR:

• T6 Kransy Krym: Bad

KM:

• T7 Adm Graf Spee: Good

French:

British:

Pan-Asian:

Commonwealth:

Italian:

It's my personal preferences, which depend heavily on MY PERSONAL PLAYSTYLE, as well as my reading of how the ship would perform in the "average" person's hands.  I'm not elite, but I'm pretty good, so how I or someone better than me can do in a given ship is not reflective of how it performs for most people.

Very Interesting:cap_book:

Members
842 posts
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

@EAnybody

Sadly, dude, your table is too wide for your post, at least for me, unless I really unzoom the page so much that the font is so small that it's just barely readable for me.

Fixed it.

What, you don't have a 30" screen that has 4X resolution?

:cap_cool:

Edited by EAnybody

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

@EAnybodyWhy do you rate the German T8 cruisers as bad? 

I think they should at least be rated as okay, imho good. Very decent AP shells, nice armour, nice AA and good torpedoes.

Members
842 posts
1 hour ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

@EAnybodyWhy do you rate the German T8 cruisers as bad? 

I think they should at least be rated as okay, imho good. Very decent AP shells, nice armour, nice AA and good torpedoes.

The Hipper/Eugen have suffered from VERY significant power creep in WoWS.  Which is a shame, since I *really* like mine.

They'd make good a good Tier 7 now.  But at 8, they're outmatched severely by everything - their armor isn't good enough to resist being shredded by any BB except T6s, and they're quite vulnerable to T8+ CAs AP also.  They're big, have mediocre maneuverability, easy to spot, and burn quickly.

They don't have sufficient DPM to even stay in their assigned role of 2nd-line support - their AP can't be relied upon to actually do damage at a distance, their HE (even post-buff) is mediocre, and their ROF is atrocious for the small number of guns on it.

They're not inherently bad, per se, but they just can't keep up anymore. Some small buffs are needed, but until then, they're at the bottom of the stack in utility.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
11 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

The Hipper/Eugen have suffered from VERY significant power creep in WoWS.  Which is a shame, since I *really* like mine.

They'd make good a good Tier 7 now.  But at 8, they're outmatched severely by everything - their armor isn't good enough to resist being shredded by any BB except T6s, and they're quite vulnerable to T8+ CAs AP also.  They're big, have mediocre maneuverability, easy to spot, and burn quickly.

They don't have sufficient DPM to even stay in their assigned role of 2nd-line support - their AP can't be relied upon to actually do damage at a distance, their HE (even post-buff) is mediocre, and their ROF is atrocious for the small number of guns on it.

They're not inherently bad, per se, but they just can't keep up anymore. Some small buffs are needed, but until then, they're at the bottom of the stack in utility.

Vulnerable to the ap of T8+ CA's when sailing broadside, you mean?

They are indeed easy to spot, that is why I run on my PE propulsion modifications 2 and steering modifications 3, which makes it a pretty manouvrable ship.
At distance I haven't had problems citadelling broadside cruisers, thanks to the spread usually multiple citadels at once.

Perhaps she does less damage, but I think because they can be very annoying versus cruisers that they can proof their worth very well in a battle. Versus battleships they are difficult to play, but I enjoy the modifications I use to dodge incoming shells.
Besides you can always run up an island and suprise a battleship with torpedoes while surviving it.

Of course it will always be an opinion, but I struggle with the fact that you put my favourite T8 cruiser behind the NO on your list :Smile_teethhappy:

Greetz LW

[4HIM]
Members
1,799 posts
4,058 battles
2 hours ago, EAnybody said:

KM:

• T7 Adm Graf Spee: Good

I believe the Graf Spee is T6.  But I'd add that it has a pretty big learning curve.  It doesn't play like a cruiser, and doesn't play like a BB.  

And I'd also rate the De Grasse higher than I would the Duca d'Aosta.  The Italian can have some good matches, but it's not as consistent as it is the French bote.

[SYN]
Members
14,448 posts
10,425 battles

Best

• T4: Kuma
  • T5: Konigsberg, Emile Bertin
  • T6: Budyonney, Cleveland
  • T7: Belfast, Fiji
  • T8: Atago, Kutuzov, Chapayev
  • T9: Roon (But they're all kinda crap)
  • T10: Hindenburg (But they're all good)
  • Cool 2

360 posts
194 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 4:10 AM, MrDeaf said:

Best

• T4: Kuma
  • T5: Konigsberg, Emile Bertin
  • T6: Budyonney, Cleveland
  • T7: Belfast, Fiji
  • T8: Atago, Kutuzov, Chapayev
  • T9: Roon (But they're all kinda crap)
  • T10: Hindenburg (But they're all good)

Pretty much how I would have listed them as well. I should get an Atago the next time they go on sale.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

Going to talk about none premium only   for solo play.

T3-T4,  you can pretty much make any one of them perform well.     I like bogatyr and st luis at t3 and  phoenix at t4 .

T5:  toughest tier for Cruisers.  Konigsberg is best one 

T6:  budyonny is the best hands down. 

T7: Algerie, Yorck are strong,    Fiji if you like the UKCL play style

T8:  Charles martel  with chapy being distance second.

T9: Roon  (its 3/4  hindy)

T10: hindy.   (minotaur is strong in div though)

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
1 hour ago, centarina said:

Going to talk about none premium only   for solo play.

T3-T4,  you can pretty much make any one of them perform well.     I like bogatyr and st luis at t3 and  phoenix at t4 .

T5:  toughest tier for Cruisers.  Konigsberg is best one 

T6:  budyonny is the best hands down. 

T7: Algerie, Yorck are strong,    Fiji if you like the UKCL play style

T8:  Charles martel  with chapy being distance second.

T9: Roon  (its 3/4  hindy)

T10: hindy.   (minotaur is strong in div though)

Finally got my Budonny last night FreeXPed her the only other Russian Cruiser I want is the Chapayev:Smile_coin:

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles

T5: Overall Konigsburg and Emile Bertin. Kirov and Furutaka can be pretty good but require more player skill.

T6: Cleveland, Budyonny, De Grasse are all good damage dealers, as long as you have IFHE.

T7: Belfast is hands down the best. Fiji and Myoko are my distant seconds.

T8: Charles Martel and Kutuzov are the two best damage dealers. Chapayev is a good mix of damage and utility. Atago is also strong with a lot of versatility.

T9: Roon is the best damage dealer. Baltimore and Neptune are situational strong.

T10: All ships are good here.

Hindenburg is the best damage dealer. Moskva/Henri/Zao have similar damage dealing potential and each have their own bag of tricks. Des Moines and Minotaur are the best at area control.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
7 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

T5: Overall Konigsburg and Emile Bertin. Kirov and Furutaka can be pretty good but require more player skill.

T6: Cleveland, Budyonny, De Grasse are all good damage dealers, as long as you have IFHE.

T7: Belfast is hands down the best. Fiji and Myoko are my distant seconds.

T8: Charles Martel and Kutuzov are the two best damage dealers. Chapayev is a good mix of damage and utility. Atago is also strong with a lot of versatility.

T9: Roon is the best damage dealer. Baltimore and Neptune are situational strong.

T10: All ships are good here.

Hindenburg is the best damage dealer. Moskva/Henri/Zao have similar damage dealing potential and each have their own bag of tricks. Des Moines and Minotaur are the best at area control.

Forgot one the  Kutuzov:Smile_great::Smile_coin:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,374 posts
8,519 battles

Every T10 Cruiser is strong in randoms.

Cant go wrong with any of the lines.

For Clan wars...

Hinden/Zao/DM  are the top 3 currently with no special order.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,806 posts
10,590 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 1:23 AM, I_Am_Taras_Bulba said:

Hi all,

Am curious on what cruiser (all nations) would be the best in each tier, including Premium as well?

Answers will just be opinion as every player has a different playstyle and some Cruisers will work with it and others won't. For every player that says I love X you will get someone who says it is hot garbage LOL.

FWIW here is how I rank the tiers (note - if it has a * it means I have only played against the ship vs actually playing it). I will start at T3 as T1 and T2 are pretty interchangeable (T1 Black Swan may be the OP exception)...

T3:

1. Friant
  2. Caledon
  3. St. Louis
  4. Bogatyr
  5. Tenryu
  6. Kolberg
  7. Katori
  8. No experience with Aurora/Oleg

T4:

1. Duguay Trouin
  2. Phoenix
  3. Svietlana
  4. Kuma
  5. Karlsruhe
  6. Yubari (*)
  7. Danae

T5:

1. Konigsberg
  2. Omaha
  3. Emile Bertin
  4. Emerald
  5. Furutaka
  6. Marblehead
  7. Murmansk (*)
  8. Krasny Kreme (*)
  9. Kirov

T6:

1. Leander
  2. Budyonny
  3. Nurnberg
  4. Admiral Markarov (*)
  5. Molotov
  6. De Grasse
  7. Ducs d'Aosta
  8. Perth
  9. Cleveland
  10. Graf Spee/HSF Graf Spee
  11. Huang He
  12. La Galisonniere
  13. Aoba

T7:

1. Fiji
  2. Algerie
  3. Atlanta 
  4. Flint (*)
  5. Pensacola
  6. Belfast
  7. Indianapolis
  8. Myoko
  9. York
  10. Shchors

T8:

1. Mikhail Kutuzov
  2. Prinz Eugen
  3. Hipper (*)
  4. Charles Martel
  5. Mogami (*)
  6. Atago
  7. Edinburgh
  8. New Orleans
  9. Chapayev (*)

T9:

1. Neptune
  2. Roon (*)
  3. Baltimore
  4. Saint-Louis (*)
  5. Dmitri Donskoi (*)
  6. Ibuki (*)

T10:

1. Hindenberg (*)
  2. Minotaur
  3. Des Moines (*)
  4. Henri IV (*)
  5. Moskva (*)
  6. Zao (*)

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
568 posts
2,540 battles

First and second-best per tier, leaving out the premiums:
Tier 3: Bogatyr/Friant, St. Louis
Tier 4: Duguay Trouin, Svietlana
Tier 5: Emile Bertin, Königsberg
Tier 6: Budyonny, Cleveland/Leander
Tier 7: Fiji (by far), Algerie
Tier 8: Charles Martel, Chapayev
Tier 9: Roon, Baltimore
Tier 10: Hindenburg, Des Moines

Prems:
God Tier -- Belfast (7), Kutuzov (8)
Both of these ships are among the best of their tier. Probably why they're embargoed and WG has "promised" us that they won't be sold any more.

Solid Tier -- Murmansk (5), Molotov (6), Makarov (6), Duca D'Aosta (6), Perth (6), De Grasse (6), Graf Spee (6), Atlanta (7), Atago (8) 
Competitive ships that are worth a look, though some are situational and/or have very unique play styles, and may not be easy to use for average players. De Grasse is in this tier only because La Galissonniere exists, otherwise it would be meh.

Meh Tier -- Emden (2), Aurora (3), Marblehead (5), Indianapolis (7), Prinz Eugen (8)
Ships that are okay, but generally don't have anything to recommend them over their tech tree counterparts. They can be fun in a pinch.

S#&t Tier -- Most of the 2s, 3s, and 4s. Krasny Krym (5), Huang He (6)
Lousy ships that are not worth the money, and are questionably effective/fun even when they get favorable matchmaking. Avoid, unless you have specific interest or are a collector.

--Helms

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 2:42 AM, EAnybody said:

5 OK OK OK OK Bad Bad
8 OK Good OK Bad OK Good

*snip*

I would rate the New Orleans in red as well. She's a very unforgiving ship that doesn't have much going for her other than Radar. If she's able to capitalize on enemy mistakes she does well, but if the other team has it together...life is really rough.

[GROGS]
Members
1 post
3,515 battles
On 3/5/2018 at 2:42 AM, NoCoGaming3645 said:

5 OK OK OK OK Bad Bad
8 OK Good OK Bad OK Good

USA:

IJN: 

USSR:

• T5 Kransy Krym: Bad

KM:

• T6 Adm Graf Spee: Good

French:

British:

Pan-Asian:

Commonwealth:

Italian:

Huge Bath Salts