You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xovian

If you could change one thing about playing a DD

60 comments in this topic

Members
191 posts

Lots of people play DD's. Some off and on, some as mains, and of course there are some that never do.
As far as damage/XP earned I feel DD's are high risk but not high reward.  This is what appeals to many.

So the question is, what one thing in the entire game would you change, or would want to see when you are playing a DD?

For me it is simply, we are "required" for spotting and caps, but there's nothing worse then a team that refuses not only support but out right abandons the mission objectives so they don't get their paint scratched.

Exhibit A:

detonatetobehere.thumb.png.97afc7400873c91b67921f0500b20a1f.png

The marked area for maps of this type I'd change it to where after the first 5 minutes of the game, excluding CV, you enter this area, you detonate...no questions asked, and no rewards...just a repair bill.
If a flag was added similar to TK, would be even better, but that would be more then one thing, so i digress.
Abandoning your comrades, and completely ignoring the mission objectives would be considered treason by many countries.

Every DD has seen the exact scenario i show above, where just one enemy is there but you are abandoned  to fend for yourself. This type of play IMO should be punished.

This is just my one change, what would be yours when you play  a DD?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Gun bloom timer lowered

Or

Radar can't go through islands

Or

Rewarded more for team play

• Cool 7

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,492 battles

LOL!  Everybody complains that the other guys in a different type of ship are doing it wrong.  My only wish is that WG had some sort of tutorial system that would really help people understand the value of playing objectives and some of the general concepts and tips to that people didn't feel the need to choose between hiding or just charging to their death.  But this applies just as much to destroyer drivers as it does to any other type.

[WOLF1]
Members
194 posts
8,882 battles

Radar thru islands is bad.

Also, from you're exhibit, drag the enemy back to the friendly campers and force them to engage. Your main job as a DD is to stay alive.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,582 posts
3,751 battles

I would just be happy with a meter detailing my spotting done, just like in World of Tanks. I feel like this could be pretty  informative. The other thing I would change is possibly an ability to nullify cross drops  by high tier CV in the first few minutes of the game. It could be even be a form of DFAA doing minimal damage but applying the panic drop effect.

Members
191 posts

I should point out, i see all ships do the above, not just BB or CA, but all of them.
The change would affect everyone, it's just typically more noticeable when playing a DD.
I tend to notice such actions a lot less when playing my Sharnhoarst for example.

The other thing my change would do is quit  extending games that have already been lost.
Having to wait for a battle to end because those last few runners are extending the game and trying to get those last few  pew pew in for points  would be a nice bonus IMO.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,640 posts
13,617 battles

I think we all should get heals just like the battleships:Smile_hiding:

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

Radar is a necessary counter to otherwise untouchable ships. The removal of open water stealth firing was necessary. Team-play is how this game works, and when it doesn't happen it's an uphill battle. The idea of a no go dead zone in the first(or any) parts of a battle is terrible and punishing. Many ships like Russian cruisers and DDs, most high tier cruisers, and some battleships like Conqueror live and die by those two rows. Not to mention teams spawn in them on most maps. And what about diagonal maps like Trap, where there are cap circles just about inside those zones? Games may be lost but are also won by ships who use that space to operate in the later stages of the game. Players who don't want to risk their ships at caps simply aren't going too. Instead you'll see them wait out their lives behind islands or without firing their guns for fear of detection. That or suicide into the border and cost your team points they where otherwise preserving. A skilled coward is far more valuable than a dead lemming. It is illogical to slap players for gameplay they likely consider sound, and it is bad for the player-base to be punishing. I'm willing to bet, you'd loose a much larger portion of games if that zone was added to your side of the map and not the reds. Despite your belief that force is a remotely effective way to teach people how to play.

I would like to see a ribbon to reward any ship for spotting damage. It would encourage ships to maintain line of sight when possible, and possibly move closer for better rewards. This would economically boost and provide support to DDs.

I say this as a non specific main:

lqo22zN.png

Edited by X15
  • Cool 4

Members
191 posts
29 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I think we all should get heals just like the battleships:Smile_hiding:

I actually like the idea, though i think it has been suggested before.

@X15

I appreciate your take on my suggestion and would be food for thought (though i may not necessarily agree).

However the thread isn't about banter over any one persons "change", it's about what would you change, if you could change only one thing as a DD player (main or not is irrelevant), what would you change?
Is there just one change you'd like to see when playing a DD that doesn't necessarily affect all the ships you play? Would your change be all encompassing?
What is the one thing you'd change?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by xovian

[70]
Members
974 posts
3,846 battles

Gun bloom timer reduced to 5 seconds at most. It's the same popguns as a BB's secondary battery, and those don't boost visibility much...

Also ships shouldn't lose sight instantly with some random obstacle, otherwise you get on-off spottings that never render, which make shooting said distant enemies insanely annoying. It should be at least 1 second if not 2.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
17 minutes ago, xovian said:

@X15

35 minutes ago, X15 said:

I would like to see a ribbon to reward any ship for spotting damage. It would encourage ships to maintain line of sight when possible, and possibly move closer for better rewards. This would economically boost and provide support to DDs.

Did you not read the whole thing?

Members
191 posts
9 minutes ago, X15 said:

Did you not read the whole thing?

Actually i did, but brain farted. As i was thinking there are ribbons for that, until i remembered there wasn't (kept seeing the secondary battery ribbon in my head) but it is something you can track.
Interesting idea though. Would allow spotters regardless of ship type to earn more xp/coin, but would likely affect DD more so. Interesting take on it.

Edited by xovian

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
1 hour ago, xovian said:

I should point out, i see all ships do the above, not just BB or CA, but all of them.
The change would affect everyone, it's just typically more noticeable when playing a DD.
I tend to notice such actions a lot less when playing my Sharnhoarst for example.

The other thing my change would do is quit  extending games that have already been lost.
Having to wait for a battle to end because those last few runners are extending the game and trying to get those last few  pew pew in for points  would be a nice bonus IMO.

Then just cap out the enemy base in Standard or take the remaining caps in Domination or Epicenter modes.  Jeez.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
42 minutes ago, xovian said:

I actually like the idea, though i think it has been suggested before.

@X15

I appreciate your take on my suggestion and would be food for thought (though i may not necessarily agree).

However the thread isn't about banter over any one persons "change", it's about what would you change, if you could change only one thing as a DD player (main or not is irrelevant), what would you change?
Is there just one change you'd like to see when playing a DD that doesn't necessarily affect all the ships you play? Would your change be all encompassing?

You don't get to write the rules on how a thread progresses.  Whenever there's a thread where people bring up possible changes, others will and should discuss those ideas, not just blindly shotgun new ones.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
30 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Gun bloom timer reduced to 5 seconds at most. It's the same popguns as a BB's secondary battery, and those don't boost visibility much...

Also ships shouldn't lose sight instantly with some random obstacle, otherwise you get on-off spottings that never render, which make shooting said distant enemies insanely annoying. It should be at least 1 second if not 2.

I'd suggest the gun bloom timer be based on gun caliber.

• 20 seconds for about 10" guns or larger.
  • 15 seconds for roughly cruiser grade guns, i.e. about 6" guns up to but not including 10" guns. (probably starting at the 140mm number used for certain skills as a break point)
  • 10 seconds for DD grade guns, i.e. those with gun sizes of 139mm and below.

Doing it this way would cover certain ships that have oddball gun sizes, like the Graf Spee's 11" guns, or the Atlanta's 5" main guns, and so on.

• Cool 3

[70]
Members
974 posts
3,846 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I'd suggest the gun bloom timer be based on gun caliber.

• 20 seconds for about 10" guns or larger.
  • 15 seconds for roughly cruiser grade guns, i.e. about 6" guns up to but not including 10" guns. (probably starting at the 140mm number used for certain skills as a break point)
  • 10 seconds for DD grade guns, i.e. those with gun sizes of 139mm and below.

Doing it this way would cover certain ships that have oddball gun sizes, like the Graf Spee's 11" guns, or the Atlanta's 5" main guns, and so on.

Good ideas

But please learnt to multi-quote (the + button next to quote) instead of serial posting.

Members
191 posts
20 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You don't get to write the rules on how a thread progresses.  Whenever there's a thread where people bring up possible changes, others will and should discuss those ideas, not just blindly shotgun new ones.

Actually i do, as my question and the point of the thread is about what would you change. Not a "lets discuss all the ramifications of what you would change", just "what you would change". Be a very different topic otherwise.
Doesn't mean people will stick to just the topic itself and not give their input. Besides it doesn't hurt if people like an idea and want to say so, but anything outside of listing what someone would change, is for all intense and purposes off topic to the thread.

But yes, i say let em blindly shotgun their opinion, it's the point of the thread.

I also noted outside of you commenting on others, you haven't once mentioned what you would change, so please do so.
People like you, judging everyone else yet refusing to give their own, is not healthy for a thread that is just looking for anything at all, even hair brained ideas that have no chance in hell of ever seeing the light of day.
It wants opinions, not judgment about people ideas, whether they would be realistic changes or not (i know mine isn't, doesnt mean it isnt a change i would make).

Edited by xovian
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,338 battles

I would simply tweak the XP calculation a bit so that DDs get more XP for spotting, spotting torps, and spotting damage. I don't mind the games where I am not able to land any torps or get any kills or the games that don't have caps to cap. I just wish I was rewarded with more XP for being out front dodging everything and narrowly escaping with my life.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,622 battles

I'd want them to balance on more ship traits. Don't give all the Russian DDs to one team and all the radar ships to the other team, etc.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
3 hours ago, xovian said:

Actually i do, as my question and the point of the thread is about what would you change. Not a "lets discuss all the ramifications of what you would change", just "what you would change". Be a very different topic otherwise.
Doesn't mean people will stick to just the topic itself and not give their input. Besides it doesn't hurt if people like an idea and want to say so, but anything outside of listing what someone would change, is for all intense and purposes off topic to the thread.

But yes, i say let em blindly shotgun their opinion, it's the point of the thread.

I also noted outside of you commenting on others, you haven't once mentioned what you would change, so please do so.
People like you, judging everyone else yet refusing to give their own, is not healthy for a thread that is just looking for anything at all, even hair brained ideas that have no chance in hell of ever seeing the light of day.
It wants opinions, not judgment about people ideas, whether they would be realistic changes or not (i know mine isn't, doesnt mean it isnt a change i would make).

No, you really, really don't.  I can choose to write whatever I want that's on topic.  And dissecting other people's ideas are very much on topic.  It's NOT "judging" people.  It's called a DISCUSSION.  So get off your high horse.

And if I choose to include something, maybe I will.  And maybe I won't.

Members
842 posts

The two big thing for me as a DD player are:

FIX THE STUPIDLY BROKEN RADAR IMPLEMENTATION  - maybe buff the active time or adjust the cooldown, or whatever, but absolutely, positively, MUST HAVE is remove it from seeing through islands.  There's no possible excuse or "balance" or gameplay reason for the current implementation, and it just is horridly broken from a UX standpoint (i.e. it rewards bad play, and penalizes good play) and a UI standpoint (it behaves counter to what people expect).

The other thing is that the spotting rewards system has to be:

1. MUCH more obviously rewarded when it happens
  2. MUCH more frequent in occurrence, so DDs get a significant amount of XP from spotting

• Cool 1

1,542 posts
26 battles

Some great thoughts here guys. I love the discussion. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and suggestions

[LWA]
Members
48 posts
4,207 battles

As a dd main

1. Weaken BB AP superpens, as it stands those kinda do a bit too much

2. Any radar that lasts over 30 seconds is a bit much, don't believe they should outright remove going through islands though, but rather limit the distance they go through them to that of something like that of the hydro equivalent

3. Increase in gains from spotting

4. More of a general suggestion, but have the concealment circle and bloom change shape to show how it is affected by islands and smoke on the minimap

Edited by Musouka

Members
646 posts
7,043 battles

Radar mechanic and ship scale. 

They look too big to me.

[RNJR]
Members
208 posts
4,219 battles

Yes the most important change is RADAR SHOULD NOT go through islands. Everyone says "hey coward go CAP NOW!  okay i go in i cap i get Radar'd and die. Then the team says i wasnt doing my job... but i tried and died for them...