You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
francesabyss

I have a sneaky suspicion that wg is doing some ninja testing at our $$$$.

60 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
6,490 posts
2,439 battles

So don't pay.

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

So don't pay.

They are doing sneaky testing on new ap rounds that are garbage.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,895 posts
1,338 battles
2 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Just got that bad feeling we are lab animals.

Hood.

Roma.

Gascognes.

At our cost.

So don't pay.  It's your choice. 

Besides, that's what companies sell things for.  Then they reinvest the money into the company sometimes, and some of that is in testing.  I'd rather see it reinvested in testing than just end up in the CEO's pocket, after all.  Also, where else do they get dollars from besides the players?  That's their main revenue source, so *of course* it's our money.  But it's not ours anymore.  We spent it and gave it to them.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,266 posts
1,869 battles

None of those are odd and they have had rounds with similar attributes in the game from day one.  You're looking for reasons to feel persecuted.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,467 posts
10,488 battles

Roma's AP is great, it's just the dispersion is awful and it's nearly impossible to cit cruisers inside of 15km with it.

Members
182 posts
728 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

None of those are odd and they have had rounds with similar attributes in the game from day one.  You're looking for reasons to feel persecuted.

from day one

Name even 1 ship.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,490 posts
2,439 battles

Anyone remember New Coke?

Members
182 posts
728 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

Roma's AP is great, it's just the dispersion is awful and it's nearly impossible to cit cruisers inside of 15km with it.

ITs ap is total garbage.

• Bad 5

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,266 posts
1,869 battles

Tier III BBs have even faster fusing than Hood and lower Krupp values.

Any high muzzle velocity round is going to over penetrate a lot, BB rounds more, but behavior will be similar.  High velocity rounds also, by the very nature of their shell arcs, have greater vertical dispersion.

Members
182 posts
728 battles

Maybe im wrong i feel like wg are messing with the game engine maybe to save cruisers?

The modern ap rounds are garbage bin this idea now.

• Bad 1

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles
1 minute ago, francesabyss said:

Maybe im wrong i feel like wg are messing with the game engine maybe to save cruisers?

The modern ap rounds are garbage bin this idea now.

What do you mean "modern" AP rounds? You mean British short fuse AP that overpen less and are therefore better against cruisers? Roma's AP is regular AP, you know. It only isn't as effective against cruisers because of it's high shell velocity and penetration.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts
28 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Just got that bad feeling we are lab animals.

Hood.

Roma.

Gascognes.

At our cost.

I don't have any of them. Caveat Emptor

CCs do a good job with reviews and previews I might add

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
721 posts
1,792 battles

I mean... all of the ships you listed seem pretty good... so... Im not sure where youre going with this.

• Cool 2

Members
182 posts
728 battles
Just now, Avalon304 said:

I mean... all of the ships you listed seem pretty good... so... Im not sure where youre going with this.

They are all expensive and crap.

• Bad 2

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,492 battles

Play more games and panic less.  You make it sound like this is some sort of consistent trend when a) it isn't, and b) even if it were, all it would tell you is something about the current ships that they're releasing.

Each of those ships is specifically gimmicky and not really a representation of the other ships in its line, notwithstanding the Roma since we don't know what the Italian BBs will look like.  The Hood is a WW1 ship that is insanely fast and tanky for its tier and is balanced around having rather mediocre guns given the fact that it can see T9 ships.  The Roma is a weirdo in general, but not really that bad.  And the Gascogne is, as far as I can tell, essentially the Richelieu with different turret layout.  The entire thing with the French BBs is that they have ridiculous overpen chances in return for extremely good shell trajectories and velocity.

Sure, maybe WG wants to get away from having stupid BB penetration mechanics, or maybe it's just a case that the only ships that would somewhat historically have had guns like that are already in the game and now WG is implementing the lesser known and more niche ship designs of smaller naval powers.  It's not like the new ships are empirically bad ships (maybe Gascogne is, I haven't played it), they're just not balanced around having the absolute "best" penetration mechanics and values for people who just want to spam a single kind of shell all game.

Evolving game mechanics hardly make us lab animals, the LSD in your coffee this morning is what makes you a lab animal...

[SWOB]
Members
42 posts
11,579 battles

Tell your dad to get a better job. Then you can ask for them.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,348 posts
8,971 battles

Like people have said, you don't have to buy them.

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
721 posts
1,792 battles
2 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

I mean... they arent... but you do you.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,340 posts
3,962 battles
27 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

She can really bring pain to battleships though.  I have fun causing misery to close-range battleships with my AP.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,895 posts
1,338 battles
4 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Then don't buy them, or get a better job.  No one's forcing you to buy them, after all.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,503 posts
3,435 battles

Not really. The most you can make a case out of is Hood.

She was the first RN BB to feature short-fuse AP with slightly improved normalization, in order to stop her shells from bouncing off almost everything not broadside to her. The short-fuse AP carried over to the RN BB line proper, while they did drop the improved normalization.

As for Gascogne? She uses the same guns as Richelieu. Both of them (and Alsace) has a tendency to overpen anything less-armored than a battleship, and that's more due to their guns having high velocity. Republique also suffers from heavy overpens at short ranges.

As for Roma, she "could" potentially be an early testbed for the Italian BB line, but as evidenced by Warspite compared to the RN BB line, it might also go the other way. However, her guns are just like Richelieu's, in the sense that they tend to overpen like crazy vs anything less armored than battleships, at ranges lower than 14km or so, due to their high velocity.

It's not so much AP nerfs as it's just a byproduct of their gun performance being translated semi-accurately into the game. Hood and the RN BBs in generally really did have terrible AP and great HE, and French and Italian 15" guns were high-velocity types. French 15" were considered to be one of the best 15" guns between the RN and KM.